• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2021

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Refer to the QLD Premier Rugby thread for info on Colts. Courier Mail article says leading lights are Andrew Romano, Mone Ma'afu, John Bryant and Eamon McCoola.

They might not challenge for the premiership but sounds like they've got some of the best surnames running around.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Souths figure to be pretty good and might have one of the best set pieces with Angus Sawtell at the centre of it at 2. Saipele (IGS 2019) will add some muscle upfront along with a kid from Rockhampton Grammar (name ?)

The real exciting news I am hearing is Keegan Cobb at 7. I think if memory serves he was at Downlands a few years ago . He will partner Rookie John Bryant at 8 and another 20 year old , Tau Tuisamoa at 6.

There are big wraps on the Canberra kid Macool who is a bigger more powerful type 9 and after missing most of last year with injury TGS’s Baxter Franey (2019) figures to man the 10 spot with Mone Maafu (GT 2018 via BBC ) the focal point of strike in their backline at 13

On paper they have enough to be in the Final 4 - and I believe mainly driven by their set piece which will be up there as one of the better ones going around

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Some exciting match ups for round 1. The Torkington/Daley Cup is always a good day. I'm unashamedly tipping our boys to pip the magpies in colts 1. Torko is doing a great job back at Yoku. Some really promising signs against Brothers, who I'm tipping will struggle against UQ in a tight contest.

I'm bravely tipping Norths to upset Bond, I'm told they put Souths to the sword, especially at set piece time albeit in a trial game. Some may laugh, but I'm now hearing some Brothers and Easts players are jumping ship there as they've heard the set up is quite good.

Easts should be right over Sunnybank, they've got a group that's mostly 20 year olds as do Wests, who look like they'll challenge for one of the bigger packs in the competition.

Can't wait to have multiple screens going on the Stan app at Yoku tomorrow.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Am hearing that Meli Dreu (IGS 18 ) is at Easts (was at Souths) and if correct this will help bolster the inside backs with Connor Claridge supposedly back with League.

This gives Easts guys like James Durheim ( BBC 19) upfront with Sam Finnochiarro (Iona 18) Jacob Blyton (BBC 19) making his long awaited debut at lock having missed all of last season with injury ) and James Livingstone (Villanova 19) heading up the back row at 8

Dreu will have support from BSHS S Francis Pona (18) in the midfield

When looking at Easts .....I hope for their sake that Villanova’s Hamish Muir (19) has decided to play Rugby and not League. Obviously a kid like Marist / Jeeps Floyd Aubrey dominated the AIC discussion last year as backs in the up to watch - but Hamish Muir is there or thereabouts in that Mac Grealy mould .

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Some exciting match ups for round 1. The Torkington/Daley Cup is always a good day. I'm unashamedly tipping our boys to pip the magpies in colts 1. Torko is doing a great job back at Yoku. Some really promising signs against Brothers, who I'm tipping will struggle against UQ in a tight contest.

I'm bravely tipping Norths to upset Bond, I'm told they put Souths to the sword, especially at set piece time albeit in a trial game. Some may laugh, but I'm now hearing some Brothers and Easts players are jumping ship there as they've heard the set up is quite good.

Easts should be right over Sunnybank, they've got a group that's mostly 20 year olds as do Wests, who look like they'll challenge for one of the bigger packs in the competition.

Can't wait to have multiple screens going on the Stan app at Yoku tomorrow.

I agree with you R and M. Take Norths casually at your peril. I really like their Coaching personnel in particular and think that they have the right track record to be dealing (developmentally) with young players. Good luck to Norths this season.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
R&M, There seems to be a lot of good halves in the competition. Any half backs jumping ship to get a Colts 1 start?

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I for one would love to see the return of the Super Rugby U20s. I think Queensland would again have a very impressive side if it were selected today. This is who I would have. Would love to see who else is out there that I am missing, especially in the fly half department.

1. George Blake (Bond)
2. Zac Crothers (Easts)
3. Zane Nongoor (Bond)
4. Wilson Blyth (Bond)
5. Lopeti Faifua (Wests)
6. Keynan Tauakipulu (Wests)
7. Will Roach (University)
8. Titi Nofoagatotoa (Brothers)
9. Kalani Thomas (University)
11. Hamish Roberts (Bond)
12. Lukas Ripley (University)
13. Josh Flook (Brothers)
14. Dion Samuela (Bond)
15. Mac Grealy (University)
RESERVES
16. Jake Tierney (University)
17. Harry Vella (Brothers)
18. Brad Kuhn (Norths)
19. George Gibson (University)
20. John Bryant (Souths)
21. Cullin Cooper-Jones (GPS)
22. Jasper Mellish (University)
23. Floyd Aubrey (GPS)
WIDER SQUAD MEMBERS
Andrew Romano (Souths)
Angus Sawtell (Souths)
Tim Fainga'anuku (Brothers)
Finn Hearn (University)
Michael Van Der Schyff (University)
Francis Pona (Easts)
Taine Riori (Wests)
Christian Krause (Wests)
Okaw Obonno (Norths)

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
There will be some under 20 matches in 2021.
Meli Dreu from Easts might be a chance at 10. Jake Pappin is playing 2nd grade for Brothers and would also be in that squad.
Not sure if I would have 4 fullbacks in my squad even though they're all great players.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Jake Pappin for the 10 spot .

He carved up playing there in the Colts 1 GF last year and was starting 10 for the Reds’ U18 Academy side in 2019 in both games they played.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
^Geez Luke Romano has had a fall from grace from an All Black to a Black and White Colts 1 player and getting towelled up to boot (apparently)

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
download.jpg

^Geez Luke Romano has had a fall from grace from an All Black to a Black and White Colts 1 player and getting towelled up to boot (apparently)

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Thought the prop against Romano would have been Darcy Hammond, MCA 1st XV last year, as he is at least 194cm but the lineups have them both at LHP. Kicking myself I got there too late to see the colts 1 game so could have clarified this, plus to have the pleasure of watching Floyd run around again. Program has the GPS THP as "name witheld". Anyone know who the GPS THP was?

Darcy would be around 100Kg anyway. Impressive specimen, will be a weapon once he gets up in the 110kg+ range.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Thought the prop against Romano would have been Darcy Hammond, MCA 1st XV last year, as he is at least 194cm but the lineups have them both at LHP. Kicking myself I got there too late to see the colts 1 game so could have clarified this, plus to have the pleasure of watching Floyd run around again. Program has the GPS THP as "name witheld". Anyone know who the GPS THP was?

Darcy would be around 100Kg anyway. Impressive specimen, will be a weapon once he gets up in the 110kg+ range.

Darcy Hammond, who might not be 18 yet, has the ability to develop into an Andrew Sheridan type LHP. He’s unusually tall but strong and aggressive and an awkward match up for most young THP’s.

Hopefully the performance last week v Souths is a sign of a renaissance for the GPS Colts program, won’t take long to find out.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
read my mind Galloper, was trying to remember the name of the huge pom as a comparison.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
After watching our blokes play very well last week against Souths, this weekend was always going to be interesting. Cullen at 9 showed his prems experience and Floyd's support play was electric both last week and yesterday.

12-9 to GPS in a purists dream of physical rugby; I have to say though, Norths were the better side, their defensive and breakdown pressure was very good. You couldn't help but notice their newfound energy, they are going to be a scary prospect as the season goes on if they keep their best team on the park.

Interesting to hear the chat on the sidelines, the Norths 9 in 1st grade is a colt, but the 9 they had yesterday looks a quality player too. As it was old boys day at Norths yesterday everyone seemed to be talking about the direction of their colts program, long way to go, but as a very biased GPS person I have to tip my hat to them.

Interesting to see Bond knock Easts off yesterday in colts and 1st grade yesterday, maybe the slide many have predicted isn't quite ready to happen yet. Makes for an interesting round against the Tigers next week.

Graham Welsh

Bob McCowan (2)
Week 3 and we are still finding out what each team is bringing to the comp. Some good match-ups, here are my tips for this week, good luck to all the players:

UQ v Norths- UQ 15+ UQ are still building this team, they have a strong back line that should push the Norths mid field defense.
Sunny B v Bond- Bond too strong at this stage of the season- Sunnybank will get better
Easts v GPS- match of the round. Easts will bounce back from the loss last week and may be too strong at home. Good luck to GPS, they are playing good structured rugby.
Wests v Souths- Wests by 15+

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wests have been battered by a handful of season ending injuries. Mason Gordon also up to Premier Grade with Carter playing Super Rugby

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
Seeing/hearing that the lower Colts grade competition is somewhat "dysfunctional" at this point. Colts 3 competition has only 5 teams with only 2 those of those teams playing this weekend and last weekend. Other teams on BYE due to other clubs not having a Colts 3 team. As a consequence, games are being organised to those clubs not playing which will result in them playing each other about 4 times this season.

Colts 4 has Brothers with 2 teams and Easts with 2 teams. I am hearing that Easts have more than enough players to fill another team again plus. Players are being subbed on-off like an NFL fixture to give the boys some game time. As a result of the above Colts 3 issue, some Colts 3 players are lining up to play Colts 4 as well. This was the case at Uni vs Easts last week. The interchange rule does not seem to apply with Colts 4.

Is anyone in Queensland Rugby looking to try to sort this mess out? Limited playing time equates to limited interest and players do not return. This is not a good outcome when the game is already losing a number of players after school.

Any answers?

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
I am anticipate a strong front row contest in the University v Tiger Colt 1 match with the Easts boys biggest challenge this year. Looks like UQ are playing a hooker at prop and a flanker at hooker. Must have injuries so I’m thinking a tough win to East.

GPS should beat Les Banques en Sunny and Brother will clout Magpie.

In the final match of round 4, I am pick North to cause the upset over West, who have injured and have not yet publish a team.