• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2021

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Huge result for GPS beating Bond on the weekend, hard place to win that will give the boys confidence after the big win the previous week against the Bank. Some interesting scores in the other games from the weekend too, the Brothers and wests/easts score intrigues me.

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
The dysfunction in the Colts 3/4/5 competition continues I hear. As noted previously, Colts 3 competition involves only 2 teams playing each weekend, leaving the remaining 3 teams on BYES which is resulting in many Colts 3 players playing Colts 4/5 to get a game of footy/win games for their club, pushing other players to the bench or out of the team for a "week's rest". I do believe the "unlimited" interchange has stopped.

Come on Queensland Rugby Union. Sort this rubbish out.

Seeing/hearing that the lower Colts grade competition is somewhat "dysfunctional" at this point. Colts 3 competition has only 5 teams with only 2 those of those teams playing this weekend and last weekend. Other teams on BYE due to other clubs not having a Colts 3 team. As a consequence, games are being organised to those clubs not playing which will result in them playing each other about 4 times this season.

Colts 4 has Brothers with 2 teams and Easts with 2 teams. I am hearing that Easts have more than enough players to fill another team again plus. Players are being subbed on-off like an NFL fixture to give the boys some game time. As a result of the above Colts 3 issue, some Colts 3 players are lining up to play Colts 4 as well. This was the case at Uni vs Easts last week. The interchange rule does not seem to apply with Colts 4.

Is anyone in Queensland Rugby looking to try to sort this mess out? Limited playing time equates to limited interest and players do not return. This is not a good outcome when the game is already losing a number of players after school.

Any answers?

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Bad luck to Norths Colts1 today - very unlucky to go down after looking the better and certainly much more committed side today against the top of the table Tigers.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
A really clinical win by GPS over a big wests side on saturday, the boys are really hitting their straps, I'm so impressed by the improvement. Wests must be kicking themselves letting Torko come back to us to coach, hes doing a great job.

I spoke to an Easts father about their game also, he also acknowledged Oracles comments, Norths definitely the better side and look really good in attack although set piece battle was won by Easts. GPS and Norths the 2 biggest improvers, but respectfully we have more wins to show for at the moment, but Norths in the 2nd round is a dangerous prospect I'd say.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The dysfunction in the Colts 3/4/5 competition continues I hear. As noted previously, Colts 3 competition involves only 2 teams playing each weekend, leaving the remaining 3 teams on BYES which is resulting in many Colts 3 players playing Colts 4/5 to get a game of footy/win games for their club, pushing other players to the bench or out of the team for a "week's rest". I do believe the "unlimited" interchange has stopped.

Come on Queensland Rugby Union. Sort this rubbish out.

The competition in Colts once you drop past Colts 2 has been a problem in Brisbane club rugby for a number of years now. A few years ago GPS had a team of 40 players in Colts 3, with the other teams in the comp being Sunnybank, Uni x 2 and Easts.

I know in the years I was involved with Colts, the lower Colts teams coaches usually came to an agreement to have rolling subs for the round fixtures to allow players to get some game time at least. Reverting back to 23 player squads and standard subs for finals.

To be honest I don't know if the QRU can do a whole lot when several clubs simply can't field teams. To properly field 3 Colts teams, you realistically need at least 65 players as part of your program. At any one time there will be injuries, blokes studying for exams, blokes going to music festivals, Colts 1 guys getting picked for grades etc.

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
The dysfunction got more dysfunctional last week in Colts 4 with a ridiculous 86 point win in Uni vs Brothers B and Brothers 4A with a 32 - 7 win over Redlands who were competition leaders. Clearly, some side stacking with Colts 3 players going on. Is there a QRU competition manager looking at this? Note that Colts 3 at end of Round 8 have only played 3 games (allegedly).

The unfortunate outcome of this lack of governance will be the loss of many young players out of the game. Not good on many fronts.

The competition in Colts once you drop past Colts 2 has been a problem in Brisbane club rugby for a number of years now. A few years ago GPS had a team of 40 players in Colts 3, with the other teams in the comp being Sunnybank, Uni x 2 and Easts.

I know in the years I was involved with Colts, the lower Colts teams coaches usually came to an agreement to have rolling subs for the round fixtures to allow players to get some game time at least. Reverting back to 23 player squads and standard subs for finals.

To be honest I don't know if the QRU can do a whole lot when several clubs simply can't field teams. To properly field 3 Colts teams, you realistically need at least 65 players as part of your program. At any one time there will be injuries, blokes studying for exams, blokes going to music festivals, Colts 1 guys getting picked for grades etc.

S

Sgt Slaughter

They should open up the Colts competition to all clubs not just Premier Clubs (not play under a Premier Grade Club) and have grading games etc as they did in Junior footy - “in order to get what you have never had, you have to do what you have never done” Bring back Wynnum Bugs, Ipswich, Redland Bay, Helensvale etc

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
They should open up the Colts competition to all clubs not just Premier Clubs (not play under a Premier Grade Club) and have grading games etc as they did in Junior footy - “in order to get what you have never had, you have to do what you have never done” Bring back Wynnum Bugs, Ipswich, Redland Bay, Helensvale etc

For Colts 3 down this would work.

Colts 2 back up for Prem Colts, The odd Prem Colt backs up for the Reggies and Prem team as well, so at least the top 2 Colt teams need to be at the same venue as the seniors.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

I was going to suggest this as I'm a big supporter of getting more teams involved, but as I noodled on it, I'm not sure how viable it would be.

I think at the beginning you would end up with some stacked sub districts teams as they are only fielding one team, and playing against Colts 3 standard depending on the side can be quite low. Getting spanked 100-0 by the Bugs isn't going to have players running to sign up.

After a few seasons though you'd imagine the bigger clubs with Premier teams will come knocking and pickup any of the decent players either straight from school or after their first season as a Colt, suddenly you're left with depleted subbies clubs and back to square one.

It is a simply an issue of player numbers, or lack thereof. Engine Room rightfully frustrated at the lack of organisation but at the same time the QRU don't force clubs to enter teams in these comps, there is part onus on the clubs to ensure teams they enter are going to play in a viable competition.

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sadly, I believe that the once mighty sub-districts competition in Brisbane is not so mighty any more. Credit to Redlands getting a very competitive Colts team together this year.

I think it is important that the lower Colts team remain in the Brisbane area and playing on their club days. The travelling logistics are not feasible for many.

While we can all understand and lament the current predicament in the lower Colts, I am staggered that the QRU could not see from Round 1 that the Colts 3 "competition" was non-viable and did not seek to (as they did last in 2020), reconfigure the Colts 4/5 competition by pushing Brothers 4A and Easts 4A into Colts 3. All too late now.

On the subject of competition solution options, I think there needs to be some consideration to Colts 4 not having 20 years olds playing in it. They should be playing lower grades. Many of the lower Colts boys are 17 turning 18 and the age and size difference is noticeable.

Any other bright ideas out there??

I was going to suggest this as I'm a big supporter of getting more teams involved, but as I noodled on it, I'm not sure how viable it would be.

I think at the beginning you would end up with some stacked sub districts teams as they are only fielding one team, and playing against Colts 3 standard depending on the side can be quite low. Getting spanked 100-0 by the Bugs isn't going to have players running to sign up.

After a few seasons though you'd imagine the bigger clubs with Premier teams will come knocking and pickup any of the decent players either straight from school or after their first season as a Colt, suddenly you're left with depleted subbies clubs and back to square one.

It is a simply an issue of player numbers, or lack thereof. Engine Room rightfully frustrated at the lack of organisation but at the same time the QRU don't force clubs to enter teams in these comps, there is part onus on the clubs to ensure teams they enter are going to play in a viable competition.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
After one full home and away round + one game, it is looking tight at the top of Colts 1.

Despite being written off in January by some judges, Easts lead the pack on 38 points with Brothers and GPS on 36 by virtue of their 19 all draw in R9. They all have similar F&A. Bond are also on 36 points with a points differential of 80. This top 4 looks like a lock but UQ and Wests will be looking for upsets to force there way into the mix.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
After looking like clear favourites, the undefeated Brothers Colts 2 side was knocked over by 3rd placed UQ last weekend. Easts are travelling well in second.

Brothers (II) 40, Easts (II) 36, UQ (II) 35 and then a gap to GPS (II) 21, Wests (II) 20 and Norths (II) 19. Bond on 17 could force their way into finals if they can go on a run.

So well done to Easts, Brothers and GPS for having teams in the top 4 in both Colts competitions.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
An 8 point turnaround in improvement between R1 to R2 for UQ v Brothers in Colts 1 , but noting , no Lastus Aukaki, Izzy ? or Athen Waia , whereas , UQ had all their preferred starters back in the backline in R2 with the exception of Finn Hearn at 9 and Pat Elekana. UQ missing Jake Tierney and George Gibson in the forward pack in R2 but Brothers missing Jock Thompson.

Anyway ....Brothers had enough possession to score at least another 2 tries and probably would have with Aukaki even if UQ had have thrown Elekana out there - the difference being is that Aukaki creates and gets the ball moving through the midfield properly,but,on Saturday without him as good as Werchon and Grant are in the halves their midfield and outside backs are one dimensional with not much to offer , so much so, that even UQ's backs could defend them.

It seems as though UQ1 and their Backs Coach are no more with the mail being he is off to Coach a school season in the GPS Comp. So why bring him in for half a season? It is not like there was any success or noteworthy impact at the immediate prior stop. But that is on Club Management as much as it is on the Individual. Player talent isn't the issue ....there is a boat load of it that runs all the way down into 3's , so much so , that there is a 28 + point turnaround in the Colts 2 R1 and R2 matches between UQ and Brothers and since this team stabilised from R3 they have slayed everything in their path with a 6-0 record and a 219-38 For and Against,including, Brothers , Easts and Jeeps - probably in the top 2 performing teams in the Club. I am not sure why D'Lite Full thought Brothers were clear favorites ? They were never in the game and the scoreline flattered them given a claimed try beyond the dead ball line where the Brothers player pressed it somewhere in the vicinity of the St Margaret Netball Courts with the Ref ambling along from Deep Fine Leg at Allan Border Oval.....of course the Brothers players jumped around and played the Ref, who by this time , had jumped the fence and made it back to the in goal.....the Brothers in goal down the other end.

Anyway ....back to 1's , consider this : In the first round , UQ were outscored in the backs by the Top 4 teams, and Wests , their nearest competitor to challenge Bond for the 4th spot in a finals berth,a whopping 12 tries to 2,or,70 points to 14. So couldn't score or defend. UQ scored 37 tries overall in Round 1 where only 13 were to backs and where only 5 were assisted tries - and they were all against Sunnybank, Souths, and Norths. So no play making or ball movement either. And no accountability from or demanded from the "type" as they have basically one'd on one'd with vision of Stevie Wonder and the hands of Eddie Scissorhands.

Facts.

Jeeps will win 1's if Aubrey is fit and playing finals. Easts will be their opponent. Wests will make a serious run at Bond for the 4th spot and how they go will depend on players coming back to Prems (especially at Wests) that will likely push Mason Gordon down , who , basically won the Colts 1 game single handedly last year for Wests v UQ at UQ ( with a nice side kick contribution from David Vahiu )

Opinion.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Agree with your comments re talent at UQ DM. It is amazing how some players stay there and play colts2/3 who are clearly good enough to play higher somewhere else, i wonder how many might look around next year - looking at the improvement of some programs this year I would think they'd be silly not to. I do wonder how hard coaching at UQ actually is, how do you stuff that up? It's interesting to look at the teams and pound for pound who is getting the most out of their cattle through coaching?

Floyd definitely one of the most influential players in the colts comp IMO and if he's on we will be very close at the business end. The battle with Norths this weekend should be a belter. I note Norths have have 3-4 colts playing regular premier grade recently which may impact line ups. From all reports should have beaten Easts and Bond, again the Floyd factor will be massive here.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I do wonder how hard coaching at UQ actually is, how do you stuff that up?

It's called being asleep at the wheel that a collective arrogance , from top to bottom , and/or , a lack of care engenders. They miss Michael Todd greatly who was the right guy.

4 x Grand Finals in Colts last year from 1 to 4 for zero wins. The writing was already on the wall and there was supposedly a lot of "talk" and soul searching. Turns out it was just that and not much else.

The signs were immediately evident last year when Todd left but it took a bit of time to play through, when with the 1's for example, there were 3 or 4 different 10's used through last season and players parachuted in to the midfield through the 2nd half of the season having done nothing to prove themselves other than they were a preferred "type" and consequently their midfield get rissolled by Brothers on Grand Final Day. Couldn't score or defend. Fast forward to this year....same story as outlined on the prior page with staggering numbers that tell the story.

Despite what is said.... the truth in actuality and performance is that the Developmental Strategy at UQ seems to be ......the "talent" will come because we're UQ and outside of 1 or 2 guys who are UQ lifers Coaching in the lower Colts Teams - who do know what values and Culture is about, the rest of it is a hot steaming mess that no one within the Club seems to want to demand any action on.

The basic issue is that everyone and their enablers think they are going to be a pro and play to be "noticed" and then crack the shits and amp the anxiety when they are not playing Prems by point X , because, if you are 19 or 20 and not playing Prems and you are " just a Colts or just a Club player" than no one upstream ( IE: The Reds ) has you on an immediate call up list. I can guarantee you that is the perception. I can also guarantee you that they are all competing with each other for recognition and status and not against who they are actually playing. And that's how and why you lose. The stupidity of it is, if it is all about self interest ,is that at face value,an outsider looking in and sees the "names" and then sees a 4 and 5 record - could be forgiven for thinking that all in all they are just another brick in the wall.

Seems that first learning how to be a good and unselfish Club player within a system is for the birds.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Agree with your comments re talent at UQ DM. It is amazing how some players stay there and play colts2/3 who are clearly good enough to play higher somewhere else, i wonder how many might look around next year - looking at the improvement of some programs this year I would think they'd be silly not to. I do wonder how hard coaching at UQ actually is, how do you stuff that up? It's interesting to look at the teams and pound for pound who is getting the most out of their cattle through coaching?

Floyd definitely one of the most influential players in the colts comp IMO and if he's on we will be very close at the business end. The battle with Norths this weekend should be a belter. I note Norths have have 3-4 colts playing regular premier grade recently which may impact line ups. From all reports should have beaten Easts and Bond, again the Floyd factor will be massive here.

Norths seem to be trending in the right direction. With a lot of these guys coming back and competing as 19 and 20 year olds they'll be an interesting watch next season.

Souths have been disappointing , where to be frank , their "names" haven't gotten it done or really been in games. Not sure what the issue is.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Norths seem to be trending in the right direction. With a lot of these guys coming back and competing as 19 and 20 year olds they'll be an interesting watch this season.

Souths have been disappointing , where to be frank , their "names" haven't gotten it done or really been in games. Not sure what the issue is.

Souths appear to have played better than their results in the 2 games I've seen of them looked quite physical but couldn't really strings things together in attack, I notice they were close to Bond as well. It seems the concepts of having 'names' and being noticed seems to a common trend in colts. You are correct, for some of the 'names' souths have they aren't where they'd like to be. UQ never has a cattle issue it seems, so managing that through, as you say, values and knowledge, become very important.

Other clubs seem to take a similar approach with the cattle recruitment style- others have hunted blokes looking for opportunity, Norths appear to be a great example of this. Some clubs will always attract players without having to do much. We seem to have gone back to more juniors or players connected to the club which has brought more buy in.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Norths were good for an hour v GPS before the Jeeps bench strength finished the job. GPS were missing a few of their regulars but they seem to have good back up. Norths v UQ should be a belter.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Norths were good for an hour v GPS before the Jeeps bench strength finished the job. GPS were missing a few of their regulars but they seem to have good back up. Norths v UQ should be a belter.

I think Norths Colts really missed Ryan in the mid field, who's moved to the prems. The Norths Colts could also be missing a few more after the carnage in the Prem team.

S

Sgt Slaughter

With all this talk about North’s I had to check the table - and…..still at the bottom of the shit pile, you had me interested for a second lol