• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2021

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I expect Norths to smoke UQ this weekend like a cheap and nasty Henri Winterman Cigar

Henri-Winterman-panatelas-600x600.jpg

Norths were within a whisker of Easts late R1 , beat Souths (who incredibly tied with UQ last weekend) and Norths also went the distance with Jeeps in R1 and just didn't have the guns so it seems last weekend, however, Jeeps are far superior 1 to 15 ( with the exception of 2 or so spots - and that's about it ) to UQ.

Norths are at home and should get a good sight of the blood in the water in that back line......well all over really.

I'm fairly sure its already lights out on UQ's season in the 1's at a 4 and 5 W/L and 1 x tie with Souths but whether its Norths this week or Easts the week after , or Bond the week after that , all away games, then losing 1 of these , certainly 2 of these (which is more than likely) will put it beyond doubt.

S

Sgt Slaughter

?? only 2 places behind UQ, hence the reason it should be a good game.
But if we're talking prem footy.. well that's another thread, same with those bottom feeders the "Mighty Canes"

Low blow on the canes haha 4th on the Trans Tasman table was just not good enough by any kiwis standards - however like North’s all AU teams were happy to not be wooden spooners haha. In saying that it’s good to see North’s supporters be vocal I thought you guys were an urban myth as I’ve never seen one in real life lol UptheHeavies

Ps: some would say two places behind others would say UQ have double the points haha

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
It's called being asleep at the wheel that a collective arrogance , from top to bottom , and/or , a lack of care engenders. They miss Michael Todd greatly who was the right guy.

4 x Grand Finals in Colts last year from 1 to 4 for zero wins. The writing was already on the wall and there was supposedly a lot of "talk" and soul searching. Turns out it was just that and not much else.

The signs were immediately evident last year when Todd left but it took a bit of time to play through, when with the 1's for example, there were 3 or 4 different 10's used through last season and players parachuted in to the midfield through the 2nd half of the season having done nothing to prove themselves other than they were a preferred "type" and consequently their midfield get rissolled by Brothers on Grand Final Day. Couldn't score or defend. Fast forward to this year..same story as outlined on the prior page with staggering numbers that tell the story.

Despite what is said.. the truth in actuality and performance is that the Developmental Strategy at UQ seems to be ..the "talent" will come because we're UQ and outside of 1 or 2 guys who are UQ lifers Coaching in the lower Colts Teams - who do know what values and Culture is about, the rest of it is a hot steaming mess that no one within the Club seems to want to demand any action on.

The basic issue is that everyone and their enablers think they are going to be a pro and play to be "noticed" and then crack the shits and amp the anxiety when they are not playing Prems by point X , because, if you are 19 or 20 and not playing Prems and you are " just a Colts or just a Club player" than no one upstream ( IE: The Reds ) has you on an immediate call up list. I can guarantee you that is the perception. I can also guarantee you that they are all competing with each other for recognition and status and not against who they are actually playing. And that's how and why you lose. The stupidity of it is, if it is all about self interest ,is that at face value,an outsider looking in and sees the "names" and then sees a 4 and 5 record - could be forgiven for thinking that all in all they are just another brick in the wall.

Seems that first learning how to be a good and unselfish Club player within a system is for the birds.
UQ has a bunch of Colts 1 players who graduated from BBC in 2019 who think they’re better than what they are. Interesting enough no franchise development contracts, no junior wallabies squad and no hope of making it in senior club rugby. I’m guessing that’s where the culture talk comes in. Both times Brothers have played UQ it is obvious it’s not the coach’s plays but the players not having the ability to execute.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
UQ has a bunch of Colts 1 players who graduated from BBC in 2019 who think they’re better than what they are. Interesting enough no franchise development contracts, no junior wallabies squad and no hope of making it in senior club rugby. I’m guessing that’s where the culture talk comes in. Both times Brothers have played UQ it is obvious it’s not the coach’s plays but the players not having the ability to execute.

You are partially correct Bobby.

But tell me what stand outs from Nudgee and Brothers in the same Vintage besides Lasssssstusss have been showered with such honors ?

To be fair, since they made some changes in the back row the forward pack has been OK and the 2 x young Props despite being hopelessly outclassed at the start of the season have begun to come around and performed creditably recently. However , why in the name of sweet fancy Moses did they drop Michael Van Der Schyff - who for mine was easily UQ's best and most promising forward ? I mean seriously WTF ? The main issue you have in the forward pack is competitive jealously / agenda across some that leads to poor game vision and wrong choices in games by trying to "the guy"

That isn't really the issue though . The back line stinks. Like a festering dodgy curry vindaloo washed down with 14 pints of lager looking for an exit. And there has been no coaching demand for any rudimentary skill and no consequence for missed links up, one arm sling passes that consequently go to ground because you have midfielders that actually can't pass properly,dropped balls,missed tackles,skipped conditioning sessions,not turning up to any team building / bonding night for certain types - that means they don't give a fuck and are only there for the push agenda of whoever got them there and made whatever promise , noting that 1 or 2 of those guys are no longer there , so you'd expect a full house clean at the end of the season.

So yes , Rob a Bob, in this respect , absolutely a Coaching/Leadership issue in addition to previously mentioned questionable ability and poor execution.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
You are partially correct Bobby.

But tell me what stand outs from Nudgee and Brothers in the same Vintage besides Lasssssstusss have been showered with such honors ?

To be fair, since they made some changes in the back row the forward pack has been OK and the 2 x young Props despite being hopelessly outclassed at the start of the season have begun to come around and performed creditably recently. However , why in the name of sweet fancy Moses did they drop Michael Van Der Schyff - who for mine was easily UQ's best and most promising forward ? I mean seriously WTF ? The main issue you have in the forward pack is competitive jealously / agenda across some that leads to poor game vision and wrong choices in games by trying to "the guy"

That isn't really the issue though . The back line stinks. Like a festering dodgy curry vindaloo washed down with 14 pints of lager looking for an exit. And there has been no coaching demand for any rudimentary skill and no consequence for missed links up, one arm sling passes that consequently go to ground because you have midfielders that actually can't pass properly,dropped balls,missed tackles,skipped conditioning sessions,not turning up to any team building / bonding night for certain types - that means they don't give a fuck and are only there for the push agenda of whoever got them there and made whatever promise , noting that 1 or 2 of those guys are no longer there , so you'd expect a full house clean at the end of the season.

So yes , Rob a Bob, in this respect , absolutely a Coaching/Leadership issue in addition to previously mentioned questionable ability and poor execution.

I believe the backline coach at UQ colts may have been our backline coach from last year, all I will say is there has been a significant improvement with the coaching in general from our end...however Sio a former prop is looking after our backs and you'd say doing ok. Interesting seeing the GPS and Norths colts coaches having a beer together post game on saturday, I believe they coached together the last few years, both knocked back assistants roles in 1st grade elsewhere to run colts programs at their alma maters I am told - imagine them with the UQ cattle DM?

I am convinced with our best side we are premiership contenders (potentially a bold call), there's a lot of 20 year olds in our side and guys like cullen (hopefully hes back soon) and floyd are that x factor. Easts seem to have a similar group of 20 year olds, but I am not sure they have the polish, an interesting Aaron Pook decision 6mins after fulltime (So I'm told) against Norths who had all but beaten them; to give them a win doesn't convince me they'll beat us, but anything can happen in the 2nd round.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I wouldn’t call a BBC 3 “a bunch” Bobby but irrespective of your BBC butt hurtedness , again , you were partially correct re : your assertion of players not being as good as they think they are. Although it’s more accurate to say they originate in an arc of Sunnybank - Logan to Ipswich (surprise, surprise, the same origination point as the Coaches) with the outlier being from the Sunshine Coast , and are perhaps part of some affirmative action program that everyone else is not aware of ?

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I believe the backline coach at UQ colts may have been our backline coach from last year, all I will say is there has been a significant improvement with the coaching in general from our end.however Sio a former prop is looking after our backs and you'd say doing ok. Interesting seeing the GPS and Norths colts coaches having a beer together post game on saturday, I believe they coached together the last few years, both knocked back assistants roles in 1st grade elsewhere to run colts programs at their alma maters I am told - imagine them with the UQ cattle DM?

I am convinced with our best side we are premiership contenders (potentially a bold call), there's a lot of 20 year olds in our side and guys like cullen (hopefully hes back soon) and floyd are that x factor. Easts seem to have a similar group of 20 year olds, but I am not sure they have the polish, an interesting Aaron Pook decision 6mins after fulltime (So I'm told) against Norths who had all but beaten them; to give them a win doesn't convince me they'll beat us, but anything can happen in the 2nd round.

I think you are being modest RnM. Jeeps should be and deserve to be favourites. It is not just guys like Aubrey , Baker and Cooper Jones but guys like Ward and Barker are quality Colts , as is, and in particular , Ben Gergathy. Lucy and Valentine are hard working and Byrne goes all day.

I think you have the quality edge over both Brothers and Easts. Will Kirk is the real deal for Easts at 9 and in their forward pack James Livingstone is to Easts what Geraghty is to Jeeps. I just don’t think Easts have got the same quality elsewhere in their backs or forwards and think they are a bit plain to be honest. Or over hyped with some of their “Ekka Show Bag” types.

Brothers have the mongrel but outside of Werchon and Grant no real quality in the backs if Aukaki and Waia aren’t there. Nothing special elsewhere and actually pretty plain.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Yes, looking at results, I did not realise how many close/lucky (?) wins (UQ by 5, Wests by 4, Brothers by 5, Norths by 3) for the Tigers, but somehow to their credit they found a way to win all of them other than Bond (down by 3) but then big win over Bond last week.

DM, dare we ask what an "Ekka Show Bag" type is? Or can I guess it is something to do with full of ****?

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yes, looking at results, I did not realise how many close/lucky (?) wins (UQ by 5, Wests by 4, Brothers by 5, Norths by 3) for the Tigers, but somehow to their credit they found a way to win all of them other than Bond (down by 3) but then big win over Bond last week.

DM, dare we ask what an "Ekka Show Bag" type is? Or can I guess it is something to do with full of ****?

Well Dee, an Ekka Show Bag is something we all got excited about and we'd get all giddy as we approached and saw all the flash and colorful packaging . We'd imagine what was inside how much we'd score.

Then we'd invest and receive and look inside and find a useless plastic toy and a choo choo bar and nurse infinite disappointment until the Holden precision drivers rocked up on dark and we'd forget all about the empty promise and do it all again the next time around .

Rinse and repeat.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I believe the backline coach at UQ colts may have been our backline coach from last year, all I will say is there has been a significant improvement with the coaching in general from our end.however Sio a former prop is looking after our backs and you'd say doing ok. Interesting seeing the GPS and Norths colts coaches having a beer together post game on saturday, I believe they coached together the last few years, both knocked back assistants roles in 1st grade elsewhere to run colts programs at their alma maters I am told - imagine them with the UQ cattle DM?

Or Michael Todd , who made a Darren Star inserted "Special Guest Star" appearance at UQ training last night.

But let's rewind even further to understand what an unbridled clusterfuck this season has been at St Lucia at the top end of their Colts program.

And before everyone carries on that you can't look at trials I would ask why not ? It is the basis that you are making decisions about your season and how you are going to roll........

Anyway , Trial 1 v Jeeps was a reasonably even affair - where Jeeps had 90% of their full first tier complement in the backs but where UQ only had Finn Hearn (who has only played 3 games in Colts I think) and Pat Elekana as their "preferred" starters playing across all 3 x chukkas. I am happy to be corrected but I think it was either even tries or Jeeps by 1 try across 60 minutes of action. A far cry to the absolute Zed buggering of Marcellus Wallace that Jeeps put on UQ in R1. In that trial,Aubrey and Barker made plays on the far outside but there was nothing doing in the head to heads through the midfield.

Moving on Trial 2, I am fairly sure Brothers were missing Lastus and possibly Waia , but started others including Izzy who is now playing Prems/Reggies. In this trial, the prior Backs Coach ran out Sonny from Skippy,otherwise recognised as a 17 year Grade 12 kid from Ippy Grammar.The starting 10 didn't come back after being injured in the first 15m. Elsewhere in the back line - not a single consistent starting back once the regular season got underway. Despite Sonny at 9 and the UQ set piece getting smoked whilst on roller skates the whole game ........the back line made more line break assists (3), line breaks (3) and a try than what was achieved against Brothers in both R1 and R2.

And if that wasn't enough, in the 3rd trial v Bond , you had what would become 3 x preferred starters come into the back line and combine with guys that ultimately gave way to the Paratroopers. Anyway ....to the facts of that game , 3 tries to 1 to UQ at half time. After some weighty consideration, a Space Shuttle sized landing parachute was tossed to the main replacement and then with a bit of deck chair shuffling that saw Bond get on top after these changes, the dye was cast and the brains trust thought..... golly gosh and goddam.....by Jove I think we've got it !

I mean on this available evidence and that on the prior page you could be forgiven for thinking that there has been a strategy of conscientious sucktitude.

Probs why these cameos keep rocking up at training

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)

Cats have 9 lives I guess . Probs run out of them by the time the Finals roll around for a quick exit

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I wouldn’t call a BBC 3 “a bunch” Bobby but irrespective of your BBC butt hurtedness , again , you were partially correct re : your assertion of players not being as good as they think they are. Although it’s more accurate to say they originate in an arc of Sunnybank - Logan to Ipswich (surprise, surprise, the same origination point as the Coaches) with the outlier being from the Sunshine Coast , and are perhaps part of some affirmation action program that everyone else is not aware of ?
One should always be sceptical of ones’ sarcasm and use of story telling to prove a point. Talking is gibberish is regarding as one’s decline of facts rather than one’s intelligence of knowledge.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
One should always be sceptical of ones’ sarcasm and use of story telling to prove a point. Talking is gibberish is regarding as one’s decline of facts rather than one’s intelligence of knowledge.
One who engages in try hard intelligence and then uses phraseology like “intelligence of knowledge” sounds like a Oneker to me

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The most important thing with Colts footy is to buy into what you are playing for.

If it’s for yourself , then welcome to the playpen.

Most individuals get found out eventually.

Within a good culture, good players get promoted.

Problem is a lot of people can’t see the long journey, just want now.

Probably applies to coaches just as much as players, but shits me either way.

Please for fucks sake develop something rather than short fixes, it just keeps on keeping on …….

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Lucas Ripley named to have his first run for UQ tomorrow.

George Gibson back in a couple of weeks , probably too late to make difference to finals’ prospects, but keen to see them have a run.