• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2021

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
^Finn Hearn back as well. Hearn, on his own, is probably the only true difference maker / game winner in his own right that the Students have in their Colts 1 squad. Will the wingers see the ball in rhythm on a draw -pass assist though?

Irrespective of on field leadership being tuned out and players being rewarded for it , and individual requests for opportunity and/or position change for reason of career choice - being granted (underscoring the cultural vacuum in the Ponies program at St Lucia) I expect the return of Hearn on his own to significantly turn the odds in UQ’s favour.

S

Sgt Slaughter

Imagine if UQ put their Colt eligible players into Colts 1?

1 - Pheely
2 - Tierney
3 - Swane
4 - Pountain
5 - Engelbrecht (Injury)
6 - Knowles
7 - Roach (1st Grade)
8 - Gibson (Injury)
9 - Hearn (Injury)
10 - Thomas (1st Grade)
11 - Mcfarland
12 - Mellish
13 - Elekana (Injury)
14 - Ripley (Injury)
15 - Grealy (1st Grade)

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Imagine if UQ put their Colt eligible players into Colts 1?

1 - Pheely
2 - Tierney
3 - Swane
4 - Pountain
5 - Engelbrecht (Injury)
6 - Knowles
7 - Roach (1st Grade)
8 - Gibson (Injury)
9 - Hearn (Injury)
10 - Thomas (1st Grade)
11 - Mcfarland
12 - Mellish
13 - Elekana (Injury)
14 - Ripley (Injury)
15 - Grealy (1st Grade)

Pretty close. I can live with Ripley on the wing and would have Elekana on the other wing. These 2 are finishers that like 1 on 1 match ups and whilst they can slay bums they aren’t effective in the midfield against decent defense. Attack stagnates. Defense isn’t a priority either.

I wouldn’t have either of your locks. Will Robinson and Michael Van Der Schyff are significantly better.

I like the idea of Hearn and Thomas in the halves with reservations on Thomas at 10 and reckon Hearn would be a steadier bet.

I’ll assume your 11 and 12 selections are humour picks.

The U20 age group badly needs play creation, play assists, and on field game management and leadership in the midfield. Game management and Leadership overall really. Tom Lynagh will likely address that next season that should see some big changes to fortunes.

Would be interesting to see the same exercise applied for Brothers , Easts and Bond - I’d expect that Brothers would actually win with Bond going within a whisker if only for the fact that no one would touch their forward pack in terms of set piece - but probably haven’t got the depth of strike power in the backs

BROTHERS

1. Vella
2. Fainganuku
3. Christensen
4. Condon
5. Thompson
6. Connoly
7. Lowrie
8. Nofoagotoa
9. Werchon
10. Grant
11. Muller
12. Pappin
13. Auaki
14. Johnson
15. Waia

When you take into account Brothers scrum power (better than UQ but not as good as Bond) and the kicking power of Werchon , Grant and Pappin in addition to their play making ability , throw in the one on one versatility of Auaki and his play making ability I don’t think it would be close.

You then look at Bond that already have a pretty good set piece before you add Nongorr, Blake and Blythe back into the mix with Marlon Jones who’s been killing it this year. You then have James Nichols as your game manager at 10 - who has been a reliable all season and Samuela as your X factor

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
^Finn Hearn back as well. Hearn, on his own, is probably the only true difference maker / game winner in his own right that the Students have in their Colts 1 squad. Will the wingers see the ball in rhythm on a draw -pass assist though?

Irrespective of on field leadership being tuned out and players being rewarded for it , and individual requests for opportunity and/or position change for reason of career choice - being granted (underscoring the cultural vacuum in the Ponies program at St Lucia) I expect the return of Hearn on his own to significantly turn the odds in UQ’s favour.

Game of two halves, UQ got well ahead on the scoreboard in the first half and ahead of themselves as well I suspect - Norths came back from 20-0 to 20-19 on the back of a mountain of possession and guts eventually going down 25-19 in the end, they didn’t get much love from the ref I must say and I am a UQ supporter.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Game of two halves, UQ got well ahead on the scoreboard in the first half and ahead of themselves as well I suspect - Norths came back from 20-0 to 20-19 on the back of a mountain of possession and guts eventually going down 25-19 in the end, they didn’t get much love from the ref I must say and I am a UQ supporter.
Lucky Hearn played the 1st half with a hand in 2 tries. The flash flick passing highlight reel plays through the midfield still a problem with balls continuing to go to ground. The in form Jack Kelly scores 2 in the first half on the wing (with thanks to Finn Hearn on 1 of them ) and then touches the ball once in the 2nd half….

Feel a bit sorry for Norths. So close every week in 1 score games. Lots to be encouraged about for their continuing development in what seems to be a younger squad. Compliments to Coaches and Players.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Lucky Hearn played the 1st half with a hand in 2 tries. The flash flick passing highlight reel plays through the midfield still a problem with balls continuing to go to ground. The in form Jack Kelly scores 2 in the first half on the wing (with thanks to Finn Hearn on 1 of them ) and then touches the ball once in the 2nd half….

Feel a bit sorry for Norths. So close every week in 1 score games. Lots to be encouraged about for their continuing development in what seems to be a younger squad. Compliments to Coaches and Players.

Agreed - excellent coaching and team commitment by Norths - nowhere near the roster of other teams and right up there against most of the top clubs - also good to see South’s improving as well.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
A heartbreaker yesterday with Easts v GPS. well done to Easts for getting over the line, but they really did get out of jail. A penalty kick for touch going dead and being awarded as a lineout which allowed Easts to score after the bell to win, and credit to them for being good enough to do so. A very lopsided penalty count favoring the Tigers. I have to say Easts seem to the the rub of the green this year in colts, but I am still not convinced they will win the comp.

Disappointed to hear Norths couldn't get over the students, I had high hopes after watching them a few times this year, they really are a well coached outfit, but it also sounds like favorable officiating helped a little bit there.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Another nail biter for the Tiger cubs.

The East AR in yellow bucket hat rule the kick go dead but was overrule by referee who was a lot further away. Strange one for all sitting on that side of ground as it looked very dead - the ball went left of the right corner post and landed almost beyond the GPS dead ball line.

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
Can someone explain to me how clubs are able to parachute schoolboys players into their teams for cameo appearances at this time of year? What about player registration? It seems very poor form and competition management to me. I can't see how other Easts Colts players (particularly those in Colts 2 who have battled on loyally for 11 rounds to date were impressed to see Zac Hough - BBC 1st XV appear suddenly and play the important vs GPS last weekend in Colts 1) would support this sort of "hired gun" strategy. It sets a dangerous precedent in my view. I'm sure the BBC rugby coaches would be thrilled if their stars get injured in these fixtures prior to their GPS season. This win at all or any costs mentality is rubbish and is cancerous.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Yes, I feel for the Colts 2 players at Easts. And for the club. Anyway, I thought UQ had a mortgage on BBC hired guns?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I don’t have a problem with schoolboy players playing colts

Makes the comp more exciting

There’s obviously a culture issue where you juggle younger superstar versus hard working day 1 colt. But that’s a risk coaches gotta take.

S

Sgt Slaughter

This happens at all levels - imagine a 1st Grader who’s played the entire season and gets dropped for a Super Rugby player?

It’s the nature of the beast, players need to compete to play - healthy competition makes better players

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yes, I feel for the Colts 2 players at Easts. And for the club. Anyway, I thought UQ had a mortgage on BBC hired guns?

There were 5 x BBC players in the Colts program in 2020 and there are presently 5 this year. 2 have stopped playing this year mainly due to work opportunities - but 2 more have joined in 2021 , one who didn't play last year and one who finished school last year.

Terrace have had 3 to 4 consistently , Nudgee around the same , TSS 2 or 3 and same with Marist. Churchie had a bigger representation up until last year but not so much this year. BGS with a couple but there seems to a be a fair few from Toowoomba /Downs over the last couple of years - at least half a dozen from different schools with Downlands being prominentg. Always a half a dozen or so from the Sunny Coast region as well and then always a few from up North or Out Back. The so called hired guns are more Sunnybank Logan - and then the prior Coach's GIA (Greater Ipswich Area) posse.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Can someone explain to me how clubs are able to parachute schoolboys players into their teams for cameo appearances at this time of year? What about player registration? It seems very poor form and competition management to me. I can't see how other Easts Colts players (particularly those in Colts 2 who have battled on loyally for 11 rounds to date were impressed to see Zac Hough - BBC 1st XV appear suddenly and play the important vs GPS last weekend in Colts 1) would support this sort of "hired gun" strategy. It sets a dangerous precedent in my view. I'm sure the BBC rugby coaches would be thrilled if their stars get injured in these fixtures prior to their GPS season. This win at all or any costs mentality is rubbish and is cancerous.
Let the kids just play rugby. If you’re good enough to spike a spot ahead of another player, then welcome to the world of competition. The scenario of every participant gets a ribbon in case someones’s feelings may get hurt is ridiculous. The player who misses out realises they need to improve or the alternative is they miss out. Simple life lessons.
Every player needs to be registered with a fee attached. Who pays the fee is up to the club.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
You have to have standards though. Don't you?. I am not sure what the point is when you are already on top of the table and when you are likely playing your Grand Final opponent and you toss a parachute to a Schoolboy player who , if he's lucky, might play one other game for you during the School Holidays.

Wouldn't it make more sense to roll with who is already in your team/squad as you approach the run home through the regular rounds so you can learn and hone strategy against your most significant opponent in the competition?

Missing out is fine. It is the manner of missing out that speaks to a lack of values and standards for people that turn up and pay their money , not only for registration , but also for drink and food that makes the till turn over which is the issue.

To note, BBC's Tom Ween was also there and both he and Hough played a game or two down the stretch last season for Easts as well. For comparison sake I note that Brothers were content to let Floyd Aubrey and Nick Baker run around in Colts 2 last year. Say what you like about Brothers but they went on to win Colts 1 , 2 and 3 , in no small part , because their values and standards (IE: their belief and their culture) was just far superior to everyone else. So better leadership , off the field , which translated to better leadership on the field- and , success.

Aubrey and Baker went back to Yoku Road (note Coaching change this year which would have been a significant factor) and they will likely be the spearheads of a Colts 1 premiership this year with Harry Barker , Bas Ward , Cullin Cooper Jones , and Ben Geraghty.

S

Sgt Slaughter

Picks for Sunday - You heard it here first

1 - UQ over East
2 - Norrhs over West
3 - Brothers over South’s
4 - GPS over Sunnybank

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Alrighty- Lockdown has got the better of me. I have had a crack at two Queensland U19 teams for the end of the year. Some things to note;
- Some of these players could be 20, I was unsure on a few
- I have not seen much of Bond play so could have a few more in them.
- I left out Australian U20 players like Kalani Thomas, Mac Grealy, etc

Here is what I had.

qru 19s.PNG

Thoughts?

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
hi mate

I think you are 2 from 4

Easts are specials over UQ who as you have pointed out have some struggles this year.
norths v west’s will be close but West’s just have a bit more finish than Norths.
Souths are playing better than there results show and have been close. They will take a scalp this year but it won’t be Brothers.
GPS v the bank next.

Picks for Sunday - You heard it here first

1 - UQ over East
2 - Norrhs over West
3 - Brothers over South’s
4 - GPS over Sunnybank