• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2021

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
The dropout rate from school rugby to Colts is alarming. I also am led to believe that the dropout rate from 1st XV to Colts is worse! The dropout rate in Colts into grades should be of major concern to clubs and game administrators. The fiasco that was/is the Colts 3 "competition" this year is a low-light. The Colts 4 competition also suffered as a result. I can guarantee that many of those young men will sadly give the game away.

I don't know all the answers but am interested to hear some suggestions to improve the situation.

This sleepy thread has come to life.

Sad about the Bankers. Well done to the lads who keep turning up each week. Hopefully, they can rally a few mates to make a squad for the rest of the season and regroup for 2022.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
ER,

I know many people want to see Colts 3 continue as part of the Saturday club routine, but don't believe that is working for many reasons. The dropout of players post school and even mid-season is alarming (for the game, for parents, for society!).

So I propose this suggestion for everyone to think about the pros and cons.

Friday FOALS(continues COLTS theme but more designed for First year Out After Leaving School)

Leaving school and jumping into an U20s competition is a big leap for many (mentally and physically) along with juggling Uni, trades, first full time job, living away from home or all of the above.

- this comp would be aimed at them and those who just want to play socially or a semi-serious competition
- open to year 12 AIC or GPS players depending on timing, availability and permission from schools
- Friday nights at two venues each week (rotated hosts) with games at 6:30pm and 7:45pm
- 2 teams from each of 4 districts
- round robin with finals system (top 8)

1. East ( Redlands, Wynnum, Sunnybank, Logan, Easts) - Friday night alternate host would be Easts or Sunnybank
2. Uni (Taylor Bridge, UQ, Bond and Souths) - host would be UQ or Souths
3. West (Kenmore, Wests, Ipswich, GPS) - host would be Wests or GPS
4. North (Pine Rivers, Norths, Brothers, Everton Park) - host would be Norths or Brothers

Aim would be to get 8 x squads of 25 (200 players) with room for players to have a week off/unavailability/injury. That should be achievable from the current state of 5 x Colts 3 teams.

Hosts would benefit from additional canteen/bar sales and perhaps run a BBQ. Once games are over, social event with the 4 competing teams.

Training and coaching could be coordinated with some assistance from QLD Rugby development officers, clubs on a joint venture basis, BJRU, usual volunteers and generous benefactors.

Could we source a sponsor for Friday Foals? To keep our young men in the great game of rugby? Welcome thoughts from all the experts out there.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^Cracking idea!

Think part of the current issue with drop out is the jump for some to U20’s age group straight out of school. I know there is a fair share of 18 year olds finishing school now , but for those born in the first half of the year they are still only 17. Big difference when you then run out against a bunch of 20 year olds in your first year of Colts.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
^Cracking idea!

Think part of the current issue with drop out is the jump for some to U20’s age group straight out of school. I know there is a fair share of 18 year olds finishing school now , but for those born in the first half of the year they are still only 17. Big difference when you then run out against a bunch of 20 year olds in your first year of Colts.

From all graduating classes from last year isn't everyone meant to be 18 years old now so that by the time they roll around into a Colts program they are a genuine U19 player?

Bluebag

Banned
From all graduating classes from last year isn't everyone meant to be 18 years old now so that by the time they roll around into a Colts program they are a genuine U19 player?

No. The younger half are still 17 next year so will be u18 in 2022.

Call me crazy, but why isn't there an u18 comp? That will allow those boys from PUBLIC schools who would still like to play rugby who don't get to compete in GPS/AIC/TAS comps who are not up to colts level to showcase their skills and not be lost to the game but would still like to play. League has an u17 and u18 comp, why doesn't Union? I get not having an U17 as numbers probably wouldn't add up, but u18 totally makes sense. The solutions are too private school centric for my liking and shows why rugby is losing the hearts and minds of the public. The ACT has got it right. They have an u18 comp that pits the private schools against club u18 teams that keeps the boys in public schools playing the game and produces some gems as a result who might be lost to the dark side.

Take the Lonergen brothers as an example.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
No , prep intake is based on how old you are on the 30th of June. Need to have turned 5 by then to go to Prep, those born on or after the 1st of July turn 6 in prep , those born in the first half of the year are 17 when they finish school, second half will be 18.

Graduating classes should be 50:50 17/18 year olds.

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
Love it!

I think a root cause / issue is the school to Colts/U20 transition as pointed out by the followers.

20 years olds should not be playing Colts 4!

I believe there is a strong case and precedent (in the ACT) for an Under 18's comp as recommended.

I love the FOALS concept and the Friday night lights idea. I trust there will be a bus into Fridays or Berties after the games!

I know that a lot of Colts 4 players feel "disconnected" from their clubs playing on Thursday nights. I can't for the life of me understand why they do not play on Saturdays as part of the club round either kicking the frost off the ground in the am or play later in the day.

Keep the good ideas/suggestions coming team. We need to keep our young men active, fit and playing our great game. The benefits are many and compelling. Thank you ER

ER,

I know many people want to see Colts 3 continue as part of the Saturday club routine, but don't believe that is working for many reasons. The dropout of players post school and even mid-season is alarming (for the game, for parents, for society!).

So I propose this suggestion for everyone to think about the pros and cons.

Friday FOALS(continues COLTS theme but more designed for First year Out After Leaving School)

Leaving school and jumping into an U20s competition is a big leap for many (mentally and physically) along with juggling Uni, trades, first full time job, living away from home or all of the above.

- this comp would be aimed at them and those who just want to play socially or a semi-serious competition
- open to year 12 AIC or GPS players depending on timing, availability and permission from schools
- Friday nights at two venues each week (rotated hosts) with games at 6:30pm and 7:45pm
- 2 teams from each of 4 districts
- round robin with finals system (top 8)

1. East ( Redlands, Wynnum, Sunnybank, Logan, Easts) - Friday night alternate host would be Easts or Sunnybank
2. Uni (Taylor Bridge, UQ, Bond and Souths) - host would be UQ or Souths
3. West (Kenmore, Wests, Ipswich, GPS) - host would be Wests or GPS
4. North (Pine Rivers, Norths, Brothers, Everton Park) - host would be Norths or Brothers

Aim would be to get 8 x squads of 25 (200 players) with room for players to have a week off/unavailability/injury. That should be achievable from the current state of 5 x Colts 3 teams.

Hosts would benefit from additional canteen/bar sales and perhaps run a BBQ. Once games are over, social event with the 4 competing teams.

Training and coaching could be coordinated with some assistance from QLD Rugby development officers, clubs on a joint venture basis, BJRU, usual volunteers and generous benefactors.

Could we source a sponsor for Friday Foals? To keep our young men in the great game of rugby? Welcome thoughts from all the experts out there.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No. The younger half are still 17 next year so will be u18 in 2022.

Call me crazy, but why isn't there an u18 comp? That will allow those boys from PUBLIC schools who would still like to play rugby who don't get to compete in GPS/AIC/TAS comps who are not up to colts level to showcase their skills and not be lost to the game but would still like to play. League has an u17 and u18 comp, why doesn't Union? I get not having an U17 as numbers probably wouldn't add up, but u18 totally makes sense. The solutions are too private school centric for my liking and shows why rugby is losing the hearts and minds of the public. The ACT has got it right. They have an u18 comp that pits the private schools against club u18 teams that keeps the boys in public schools playing the game and produces some gems as a result who might be lost to the dark side.

Take the Lonergen brothers as an example.

there was. An Under 18 Lightning Comp. Perhaps a tester for a broader FOALS opportunity??

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
West Bulldog Colts going for 4 in a row tomorrow. After 2 hard 2 point game against GPS and Uni, the Tiger cub could be feeling the pinch.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
there was. An Under 18 Lightning Comp. Perhaps a tester for a broader FOALS opportunity??
There was in term2 as well. 4 teams Wests, Brothers , Sunnybank and Redlands. Brothers won final June 20 v Sunnybank. Comp managed by BJRU.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I have to say a big hats off to the GPS and Norths programs this year on the improvement from last. Obviously GPS sitting 2nd currently which is a great turnaround for the club with some very exciting prospects coming through in Aubrey, Ward, Geraghty, Barker, Baker, Cullin-Jones. Lewis Torkington and Sio Kite seem to have really changed things around on and off the field. Will be interesting what happens come finals with young Floyd as to whether he plays premier grade or colts.

Norths, whilst sitting 7th are my darkhorse as the biggest improvers. Yes they have only won 2 games (they do still have to play souths and sunnybank, whom sit below them currently), but to have 6 bonus point losses, most of which have come against GPS, Uni, Brothers, Easts and Bond is a remarkable turnaround considering they had a winless 2020 and at the end of 2019 conceded over 100 points against Souths. Credit to Daniel Richie and Ben Cameron for the turnaround. Even more pleasing for the club is the 4 colts boys whom have been starting premier grade side regularly. I think a lot of teams would be thankful they havent been full strength at the back end of the season.

Will be a great end to the season and very interesting finals series but I'm backing my filth men in.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
I have to say a big hats off to the GPS and Norths programs this year on the improvement from last. Obviously GPS sitting 2nd currently which is a great turnaround for the club with some very exciting prospects coming through in Aubrey, Ward, Geraghty, Barker, Baker, Cullin-Jones. Lewis Torkington and Sio Kite seem to have really changed things around on and off the field. Will be interesting what happens come finals with young Floyd as to whether he plays premier grade or colts.

Norths, whilst sitting 7th are my darkhorse as the biggest improvers. Yes they have only won 2 games (they do still have to play souths and sunnybank, whom sit below them currently), but to have 6 bonus point losses, most of which have come against GPS, Uni, Brothers, Easts and Bond is a remarkable turnaround considering they had a winless 2020 and at the end of 2019 conceded over 100 points against Souths. Credit to Daniel Richie and Ben Cameron for the turnaround. Even more pleasing for the club is the 4 colts boys whom have been starting premier grade side regularly. I think a lot of teams would be thankful they havent been full strength at the back end of the season.

Will be a great end to the season and very interesting finals series but I'm backing my filth men in.

Very well said Whisperer! I am still crying about Saturday's penalty try on fulltime, an absolute heart breaker! Torko and Sio have done a great job, the boys whose 3rd year it is have had some proper adversity, having gone through a few coaches before this year, but they've stuck around and have made massive improvements as 20 year old 'veterans'. Predicting a lot of these boys to push 1st grade in the next 12-18 months. Bas Ward and Floyd have already had a taste, many more to come for them I suspect. Given the lack of forward coaching presence in 1st grade, I'd hope Torko is on their radar in 1st grade in the next little while, his set piece work is high quality!

Agree 100% about Norths as well, they've quickly become my 2nd favorite team this year. It is clear they are well coached and getting every last bit out of the players they have, all while developing players for 1st grade. Even little things I noticed such as how they all turn up in full club kit on saturdays, what appears to be the entire colts 1 team clapping the 2s on, the noise their bench makes when Colts 1 are on a roll. To me, these little things say a lot about their environment. Hopefully Norths have a long term plan involving the current coaches transitioning with these players in 1st grade in the next few years, similar to what Souths have attempted in some ways.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Green shoots at Norths and the top 4 look pretty evenly matched. I like how this 2021 season is shaping up. With the grand final to be played at Suncorp, the semis will be a little more competitive than ever. The last 4 rounds should be very intriguing.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think Wests might roll Jeeps this weekend. No Pink for Jeeps ( head knock last week v UQ ) which has led a little back line reshuffle with Radford up from 2's to 12 pushing Gus Rozanowski to wing and Tom Cox to 15. I would have run the returned Lachlan Tennison-Woods at 15 and left the back line in tact.

Wests have a lot of play for and are stacking up with players being pushed back down into Colts from Prems with the relocation of the Melbourne Rebels, as well as , 1 or 2 handy types returning from injury.

If Wests forwards can compete in the scrum and around the park so that they see equal possession I think they can come away with a win and stay alive with a sneak in to the Finals when they beat UQ 1's next week (if Bond go down to Brothers tomorrow AND Souths next week)

In fact , with a win over Jeeps tomorrow and if Bond go down at home to Brothers, then Wests are in 4th spot outright - but they would lose it with :

1. A Bond win over Souths in the final round

And

2. A loss at home to UQ

If Bond win tomorrow and in the last round v Souths its all over - it's Bond in 4th .

However , if Bond lose tomorrow but beat Souths and Wests win out v Jeeps and UQ , currently, Wests have a better For and Against compared to Bond

For UQ to make the 4th spot , Bond and Wests would need to lose both of their last 2 games