• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2022

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
R&M,
Why would you discourage a young loose forward from going to Brothers for their development?
I don’t think he’s discouraging him for going, but when Sunnybank are struggling for numbers as it is, losing a Sunnybank Junior to a club offering $$$ incentives is just disappointing for the comp when we at Brothers put such an emphasis on developing our own through the Rohrig Academy.
Sadly player agents are killing club loyalty. It’s not as if he was colts 2 at Sunnybank….

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
As a guess he is talking about loyalty, better distribution and retention of talent to develop clubs who struggle to attract such players instead of them being lured to the big clubs some of whom have incredible depth but limited prem success?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
As a guess he is talking about loyalty, better distribution and retention of talent to develop clubs who struggle to attract such players instead of them being lured to the big clubs some of whom have incredible depth but limited prem success?
In the past 15 years there has been more club hopping in Brisbane which is a reflection of coaching issues. What ever happened to start, live and die in club colours. If you’re going to make it you will do it regardless of your jersey.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Also might be that he has a chum or two at Brothers. Look at the all swell pals from Marvel Studios that have grouped together at Easts.

Anyway ....If the bloke feels like he is on his own at the Bank and its a downer ...then hey why not.

There could be a more than one reason

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
In the past 15 years there has been more club hopping in Brisbane which is a reflection of coaching issues. What ever happened to start, live and die in club colours. If you’re going to make it you will do it regardless of your jersey.
Totally agree - bit like pud Zander at norths, stood out despite the lack of depth there - keen to see where his loyalties lie in 2022!!!

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Also might be that he has a chum or two at Brothers. Look at the all swell pals from Marvel Studios that have grouped together at Easts.

Anyway ....If the bloke feels like he is on his own at the Bank and its a downer ...then hey why not.

There could be a more than one reason
More than happy to welcome new players to the club. Just don’t like losing them. Coaching continuity would help. Don’t get me started……

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
The concentration of talent is a concern for the comp. it is not ideal when well performing and resourced clubs cannibalise the others. UQ and Brothers being the worst offenders.
much is also driven by managers who know that their players look good in the highlight reels playing with the time and space of being in a dominant team.
unfortunately the comp is poorer for the practise.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
The concentration of talent is a concern for the comp. it is not ideal when well performing and resourced clubs cannibalise the others. UQ and Brothers being the worst offenders.
much is also driven by managers who know that their players look good in the highlight reels playing with the time and space of being in a dominant team.
unfortunately the comp is poorer for the practise.
Yeah but how and why did you guys lose Kalani Thomas ? Be honest.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Would you like to elaborate on that comment?
Just based on the cattle they had last year on paper and their progression or lack of really jumped out at me. The semi final was probably the culmination of that with their set piece especially (front row dangling in the air on several occasions, one a member of the reds academy) , and this isn't me trying to brag about our pack, but I just thought their pack would have been better and noted other packs got on top of them quite regularly throughout the season, only to be bailed out by their backs. Developmentally I just don't think Brothers are there compared to previous regimes in colts and are banking on their rock stars...just my observations.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Yeah but how and why did you guys lose Kalani Thomas ? Be honest.
To be fair to souths, I thought the young lauries bloke who was playing 9 in 1st grade was a better player than Kalani at that stage, I actually take my hat off to souths for sticking with him and not folding with the pressure to play Kalani. To be honest I think there's 4/5 QPR 9s who are better than Kalani - Christian, Chapman, Dillon, Cooper-Jones, Hearn, O'Regan

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
To be fair to souths, I thought the young lauries bloke who was playing 9 in 1st grade was a better player than Kalani at that stage, I actually take my hat off to souths for sticking with him and not folding with the pressure to play Kalani. To be honest I think there's 4/5 QPR 9s who are better than Kalani - Christian, Chapman, Dillon, Cooper-Jones, Hearn, O'Regan
I'll never forget what's his name

2 years later where he is now? I honestly don't know. But at the time at Souths you had Todd Dammers taking over and Scott Maloula was passing through , but , beyond the Billy Rutherford factor - I wonder whether there was a bigger factor around say Hugo Smith . Remember the Smiths likely came to Souths because of Dammers and the prior Nudgee familiarity.

On pure talent and game vision, Kalani , for me , smokes all the guys you mentioned. He's always been a polarising type of player even as a junior within his own Club. Developmentally ....plenty had big opinion on him and not always at the highest. Quite frankly, I thought he looked bored at times , and when he was , he'd clown around with WTF plays that had all the blowhards harrumphing. I reckon he was just bored and played down to , or as a developing young guy and player , didn't respect the game or his opponent enough. I reckon he had to learn that at any level and in any game that once you step over the sideline its got to be all business and all discipline. That is , if you are going to make a career out of it - which was always going to be the way with him. I think he has made a huge adjustment in that sense over the last 3 or 4 years - but he's a lot like someone like Quade Cooper where it's hard to shake legacy opinion. Also a lot like Quade he sees things no one else does. Superb field vision - and not everyone is up to speed.

None of the guys you mention above , in what I can tell , are like that , but , they all have their individual skills and abilities.

I actually really like Brothers Louis Werchon , and in particular, his ability to chew off huge yards in his kicking game from the base sort of like how Nic White was used. And that's not limiting him to this individual skill ....he's a genuine difference maker who can make plays that make a difference for your team.

Last edited:

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Just based on the cattle they had last year on paper and their progression or lack of really jumped out at me. The semi final was probably the culmination of that with their set piece especially (front row dangling in the air on several occasions, one a member of the reds academy) , and this isn't me trying to brag about our pack, but I just thought their pack would have been better and noted other packs got on top of them quite regularly throughout the season, only to be bailed out by their backs. Developmentally I just don't think Brothers are there compared to previous regimes in colts and are banking on their rock stars...just my observations.
Brag away good sir. I will talk about one specific occasion when not once , but twice , in prime field position inside the Jeeps 22, and on feed, the Brothers replacement former Reds Academy Player was out scrummed by Meat at Billy's finest - " Bad Blayke" Adams , Colts 2 and sometimes Colts 1 Prop (if there were injuries) and who was giving away at least 20kg to , as you say , his Rock Star opponent. And they were pivotal moments in the game when it could have gone either way. IMO you may be being a little generous to credit the entire Brothers back line for bailing them out that day. It was pretty much one guy and without Werchon they wouldn't have been in the game.

Last edited:

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
It is my understanding that this is already off the ground with the first camp booked in.
That’s a good start , but they had plenty of camps over the past two seasons , just didn’t manage to play a game other than internal trials to pick the final squad. They were in camp getting ready for the games against NZ when the whole thing got called off. Close , but no cigar..

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Brag away good sir. I will talk about one specific occasion when not once , but twice , in prime field position inside the Jeeps 22, and on feed, the Brothers replacement former Reds Academy Player was out scrummed by Meat at Billy's finest - " Bad Blayke" Adams , Colts 2 and sometimes Colts 1 Prop (if there were injuries) and who was giving away at least 20kg to , as you say , his Rock Star opponent. And they were pivotal moments in the game when it could have gone either way. IMO you may be being a little generous to credit the entire Brothers back line for bailing them out that day. It was pretty much one guy and without Werchon they wouldn't have been in the game.
I was certainly out-scrumed by Meat at Billys over christmas.