• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2022

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

The opportunity:

* The pathway between school rugby and Super Rugby/Wallabies is the Academy system. They are not converting a high percentage of player into internationals
* Talent identification is quite weak because the year 10/11/12 star doesn’t always emerge as the best talent. Listen to Wandering Bear podcast with Mark Bell to learn more
* Turnover of coach in Academy/Junior Development role as they seek their own pathway and opportunity means inconsistent methodology
* There is no longer an u20 NRL competition
* Rugby is funding 7s and Super W but hardly an investment in any state v state u19/u20 merit based selection trial or competition (understand Covid has upset URC schedule but what has RA done since to pivot to this issue?)
* Colt competition are relatively strong and competitive with good coaching and some set up (Sydney Uni) very high quality but most club get little funding and lucky to get any RA or Academy sponsored development. Talent ID process is ad-hoc.

Funding? Are corporate sponsor been given the opportunity to support u20s rugby? It is one step from tomorrow’s best player so if not why not? How could it be packaged? It’s a good product

When was the last inter or intra state merit trial that meant something? When was the last curtain raiser before a Super Rugby game or Wallabies test that wasn’t a charity match or touch football game?

So more question than solution but here at least is a framing of how RA might think about it.
Agree totally.

For mine it is a simple situation that the U20 Academies need to play at least 8 - 10 games each year.
Made up of -:
Pre season "in state tour" to play against senior club or regional sides ie Qld u20 v Central Qld in Rockhampton or NSW equivalent etc (2- 3 Games)
Curtain raiser of Super rugby games using same schedule ( 4 games)
U20 v Army / Navy / Air Force - 1 game
U20 v Combined State - SA/NT/Tas - 1 game

This would give Nathan Grey plenty of film or games to see who is consistently performing before selecting a National u20 team

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree totally.

For mine it is a simple situation that the U20 Academies need to play at least 8 - 10 games each year.
Made up of -:
Pre season "in state tour" to play against senior club or regional sides ie Qld u20 v Central Qld in Rockhampton or NSW equivalent etc (2- 3 Games)
Curtain raiser of Super rugby games using same schedule ( 4 games)
U20 v Army / Navy / Air Force - 1 game
U20 v Combined State - SA/NT/Tas - 1 game

This would give Nathan Grey plenty of film or games to see who is consistently performing before selecting a National u20 team
I think this is the correct way to look at it.
would it not be better to have a 6 team (early season comp) All A Teams from Super Clubs playing each other plus the Aus 20’s in a round robin comp… all done and dusted by mid to late March/Early April.
Pros
- 5 hard games against men
- A Teams have to fill spots with Grade players that are vacated by 20’s selected players
- Good next tier footy leading into u/20 RWC & the club season.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Think the Reds might be the only team not regularly running an “A “ team out during the season. The Tahs and Brumbies play A teams during the season when they are up against one another in the Super AU draw. The Rebels have a second team that has the occasional run as well, not sure about the Force.

Only ever seen a Reds A team during trials and preseason. Is our squad considerably smaller than the others do not to have an A team ? Or other reasons? Guessing cost would be one……

spud

Peter Burge (5)
FINALLY! First game week although is a trial. Who are the players/teams to look out for in these upcoming trials?

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

FINALLY! First game week although is a trial. Who are the players/teams to look out for in these upcoming trials?
Personally not looking for the "known" so called superstars out of schoolboy programs.
I am excited to see the kids that have been in the shadows and can now have a crack without the parents/teacher politics. ie Where/who is the next Dane Zander or Jock Campbell?

Personally not looking for the "known" so called superstars out of schoolboy programs.
I am excited to see the kids that have been in the shadows and can now have a crack without the parents/teacher politics. ie Where/who is the next Dane Zander or Jock Campbell?
I can show you where we find them, get down and watch the BJRU junior competitions, there are some phenomenal kids running around in these age groups. A large number of them have slipped through the cracks because mum and dad can't afford GPS fees or they have been overlooked for a junior rep side due to coaches playing favourites. I work as a Talent ID manager for a sports agency and we spend our time watching these guys and pick up some amazingly talented kids who have been overlooked.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

I can show you where we find them, get down and watch the BJRU junior competitions, there are some phenomenal kids running around in these age groups. A large number of them have slipped through the cracks because mum and dad can't afford GPS fees or they have been overlooked for a junior rep side due to coaches playing favourites. I work as a Talent ID manager for a sports agency and we spend our time watching these guys and pick up some amazingly talented kids who have been overlooked.
But we still think we get better players out of the south pacific?

I agree totally with you. The BJRU programs are snubbed for some reason. The GPS schools all go shopping at the mungo ball game.

But we still think we get better players out of the south pacific?

I agree totally with you. The BJRU programs are snubbed for some reason. The GPS schools all go shopping at the mungo ball game.
No the League clubs pay the kids (and on most occasions brothers/sisters) school fees to ensure they are getting access to the best facilities a schoolboy can have. Most GPS schools arent doing the league thing, its the league clubs going to the school paying fees up front.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Any results from yesterdays trials
GPS were well beaten by Brothers, pretty even to begin with before brothers pulled away, not our strongest side to be fair, but well done to brothers.

I did hear Norths beat Souths in a good contest yesterday, with norths looking pretty threatening for most of the day.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Any results from yesterdays trials
GPS were well beaten by Brothers, pretty even to begin with before brothers pulled away, not our strongest side to be fair, but well done to brothers.

I did hear Norths beat Souths in a good contest yesterday, with norths looking pretty threatening for most of the day.
I saw the last two quarters of Norths n South’s - norths scored 3tries to none and looked well drilled - they have some handy players this year. South’s played okay as well it was a tight contest but I have no idea about how much each side has dug into their lower division stocks at that stage.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

After Sunnybank closed the fields because of a bit of rain the UQ colts raced down to Bond. From what I hear UQ were dominant but both sides had a revolving door of players on and off the paddock.

RustyT

Bob McCowan (2)
Did Sunnybank Colts head down to play Bond University as well? If so how are there playing numbers looking?

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Last year's UQ Colts 1 Captain , Pat Elekana, will be at Easts too
Oryan Kalalo as well from UQ.

Personally neither of them lived up to their reputations at UQ so I cant see them doing anything different at Easts.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Well I defer to you Monsieur as you would know more about what is happening in Tigerland than I would.

In the forwards I’m guessing Jacob Blyton might be right to go , and if he can stay injury free , he might replicate what you miss in Charlie Scott. I’m also guessing Tane Pardoe will be back at THP and if young Churchie prospects like Max Craig and Tom Zuidam are at Easts (don’t know if they are ) well you might have a few rookies in your Tight 5 to combine with Pardoe and Blyton. I’m also guessing Churchie / Easts Jnr George Stoddart will be there at 7 and possibly Henry Wilson (if not at Brothers)

But I agree , Easts have spots to fill in their forward pack this year , to be in the mix
Tane Riori has left Wests and arrived at Easts. Big call as his old man was the coach at Wests last year.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Tane Riori has left Wests and arrived at Easts. Big call as his old man was the coach at Wests last year.
I'm fairly sure it is his uncle who is the coach. Sounds like he was promised the world of 1st grade has been given an atlas, Easts are not short of locks in their top squad either, I'd imagine he would have started at Wests in 1st grade as well going by the team they published on the weekend. Thats a big get for Easts colts though.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

I'm fairly sure it is his uncle who is the coach. Sounds like he was promised the world of 1st grade has been given an atlas, Easts are not short of locks in their top squad either, I'd imagine he would have started at Wests in 1st grade as well going by the team they published on the weekend. Thats a big get for Easts colts though.
oops my bad assumed the same name was a dad - son combo. didnt think of an uncle.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

I hope I'm right, otherwise that makes for an awkward dinner table...
GPS vs UQ (and Dalby) this weekend should be interesting, what are the other games?
Souths v Easts?
Wests v Norths?
Brothers v Bond? Bank?
Lets hope the flooding doesn't affect the Dalby trip.
Country rugby will benefit immensely from more of these type of endeavors.
Who knows the city club might unearth a gem or two for future recruitment, at worst build up relationships and friendships which is a cornerstone of the game globally.