• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2022

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Might as well get the thread going with news of the next season, starting with coaches?

Norths - Dan Ritchie (HC) with Ben Cameron and Tomasi Donnell as Assistant Coaches.
Brothers - Greg Beaver (HC) with James Pritchard and Michael Gilbert as ACs
Easts - ??
GPS - Sio Kite (HC) with Lewis Torkington AC
Wests - ??
Uni - Matt Ingram (HC) with Herman Hunt and John Slater as ACs
Souths - Cian O'Connor as HC
Sunnybank - Brendan Underwood (HC) with Russell Todd as AC
Bond - ??

Any gaps that can be filled?

Hearing Easts, through Benny Mowen has been active and there is potential for a super exciting backline with Taj Anan, David Vaihu, and Lazlo Sword all combining.

Any other movements?

Last edited:

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
GPS as per program for coaching staff at this stage.

It'll be interesting to see if Mowen will still be at Easts in a years time with all of these promises of development...what's the market for him being in the Brumbies set up (not as Head Coach just yet) though when McKellar moves on at the end of next year?

Interesting appointments at Brothers and UQ, some great clubmen there, but not sure they are as strong as some of the other coaching teams in the competition. I have heard some Brothers players are headed round the corner as a result, but it is the silly season for 'trying it before buying it'.

Elwee is certainly trying his best to lure some our colts over to wests - not sure if its for 1st grade or colts just yet though.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Can't see any issues with UQ's coaching team for Colts.

Ingram has good involvement at this level, Slater was an AC under Heeno for about three years in Prems prior to Elton. Up stream of Colts 1 both 1st and 2nd grade coaching line ups remain the same as this year.

Got a hunch they will all be very much on the same page.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Easts have to recruit hard to replace most of their losing GF side who were 20 or turning 20. Sound like they are making good progress. They might need to change their style and tactics in 2022 to compete.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
What's the good word in Colts land post new year? Most clubs are back at it this week, any movement or arrivals of note?

I'm super excited to see how this seasons comp pans out based on what I saw last year. I'm tipping an even tighter comp this year with Souths and Norths to be the big improvers and Brothers to be the biggest sliders, also agree with confucius' comments about Easts needing to change, I'm sure they'll have good cattle on paper but tactically we'll see if they can make a shift.

Covid...you need to back off, there's lots of footy to be excited about.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
It's been pretty quiet - especially amongst the school leaver / recruitment ranks.

For me , probably a couple of the more interesting Clubs to keep an eye on are Jeeps and Wests.

The question at Jeeps is whether you keep last year's high performing 19 year olds , now turning 20 , in Colts or whether you have them battle in Reggies and compete for a spot in Prems. TBH , outside of Aubrey I don't see anyone else as a legit Prem Grade starter - not if the goal is to be playing Finals Rugby.

Guys from last year's Premiership team like Downes , Geraghty , Byrne , Cullin Jones and Barker are all now up in Grades , so , given how Colts 2 and 3 under performed last year it's probably fair not to expect too much coming through.

Jeeps will be well coached and if they keep the core of their 20 year olds with a sprinkle of a new back or two from Marist then they'll win games for sure. Do they make finals ? 50/50. Do they go back to back ? I don't reckon. Just won't have enough gas.

Wests ? Not sure what the issue was last year but on paper they should have won a lot more games and should have been playing Finals Rugby. Didn't look conditioned enough when I saw them and relied on a lot of huff that inevitably lead to a lot of puff with teams finishing over the top of them in the back end of games. Their "names" didn't seem to get it done when required and they also seemed to lack some leadership / structure, which , when you looked at teams like Jeeps and Easts, they were tight as tight and on point - which is why they deservedly duked it out at the end of the season I guess.

Looking forward to seeing how Wests try and regroup this year

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Cullin-Jones has moved to wests but will likely play grades (has a rebels contract)

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I don’t think that was an Elwee thing.

Have West's now got a formal agreement with the Rebels for players to be playing there? I'm just trying to put things together as you mentioned he's got a Rebel's contract and they got the influx of players last year post-Super Rugby.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Have West's now got a formal agreement with the Rebels for players to be playing there? I'm just trying to put things together as you mentioned he's got a Rebel's contract and they got the influx of players last year post-Super Rugby.
there's some links between the clubs, personnel wise. Nothing formal I believe

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Hard to go past Nick Baker at GPS, was very influential for us last year, but he will need to rise again with a younger group this year. Braydn O'Sullivan the IGS #9 is at yoku and is an exciting prospect. Doubtful we will see Floyd in colts this year.

A large BBC contingent at Souths will be interesting to watch, Byron Smith from Nudgee will be big for them at 10 as well. Not sure who UQ have, but no doubt they will attract some high flyer school leavers, but we will have to wait and see how/if they come together. Any truth to the whisper Norths have picked up Harry Grant and Ronin Nutley from Brothers ? Hearing the new coaching staff there aren't exactly setting the world on fire.

If Wests have Vaihu, they will be there or there abouts, not sure what his situation with the Rebels is?? Is it true they have lost Tane Riori to Easts? He was probably the form lock of the colts comp last year, that would be a massive loss, he is still colts eligible as well.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I would have had maybe close to half a dozen locks easily ahead of him.

UQ’s Will Robinson for starters followed up with Jeep’s very underrated Ethan Lucy and Tom Valentine , the Easts kid , Charlie Scott, who was massive for them all year , especially in set piece.

Bond’s Marlon Jones wanted to transition as a 6/8 despite his background coming up as a lock , which has me thinking , has there ever been a lock who doesn’t consider themself a natural 8? Glamour chasers I say.

UQ’s Hugo Perceval maybe isn’t as dynamic as Robinson or as athletic as Michael Van Der Schyff, but, he’d outwork anyone and will always be in the top 2-3 in tackle count per game.

And that’s off the top of my head without trying.

Speaking of VDS he was definitely No 1 or 2 as a set piece savant I saw play Colts last year and has athleticism to burn. He didn’t play a lot of 1’s as the prior Coaching regime likely considered him too light in his frame despite towelling up line out opponents in his defensive lineout at will and out running any other tight forward around the park in what limited opportunities he did get at the start of the season last year.

Maybe I’m a bit old fashioned. I like athletic , running forwards who have high work rate and can out endure their opponent who might be able to fire a cannon on their carry but then need some time for their cannon to reload , but also, locks especially who have good verticals and can get off the ground quickly and have innate timing sense. That’s just something some have or some don’t rather than it being a taught skill

Last edited:

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'll be pretty interested to see how a guy like South's John Bryant comes on this year - who didn't seem to make much of a dent last year despite, when he came out of Lauries - seemed to be line ball with Marist/Jeeps , Nick Baker.

Baker had a big year in a strong team whereas Bryant seemed to struggle on a team that struggled.

When considering this year's comp the logical thing to look at which Clubs played and won Grand Finals last year in 2's and 3's and what 20 year olds (this year) they might have coming through. That will be a genuine factor as to which teams are more likely to succeed.

Last edited:

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hard to go past Nick Baker at GPS, was very influential for us last year, but he will need to rise again with a younger group this year. Braydn O'Sullivan the IGS #9 is at yoku and is an exciting prospect. Doubtful we will see Floyd in colts this year.

A large BBC contingent at Souths will be interesting to watch, Byron Smith from Nudgee will be big for them at 10 as well. Not sure who UQ have, but no doubt they will attract some high flyer school leavers, but we will have to wait and see how/if they come together. Any truth to the whisper Norths have picked up Harry Grant and Ronin Nutley from Brothers ? Hearing the new coaching staff there aren't exactly setting the world on fire.

If Wests have Vaihu, they will be there or there abouts, not sure what his situation with the Rebels is?? Is it true they have lost Tane Riori to Easts? He was probably the form lock of the colts comp last year, that would be a massive loss, he is still colts eligible as well.
I actually found the standard of last year's School Comp to be pretty underwhelming to be honest and would have ranked it fairly low down the scale of the last 10 years .

Best year I've seen is probably 2015 followed by 2014| 2017 | 2016 | 2019 | 2018 | 2020 | ..... then a flip between 2021, 2012 and 2013

Last edited:

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sam Mataafa (8), Sunnybank, Alec Robinson (6) from Wests and Lachlan Howse (7) from GPS are the best back rower in U20. I would have include George Gibson until I hear he is now Waratah academy

Would like to see high rated Keynan T from Wests play with or against these 3 to benchmark whether he is back row or lock. Jones, Bryant and Baker are all good locks. Maybe back row but the top 3 are quick but also tough with great temperaments.

The most influential back could be the Brother 12 Lastus Aukai. Or Floyd could dominate from 15 with a lot of first touches.

I think Wests, Bond, Brothers and GPS will have the teams to beat in 22.