• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2022

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Certainly lots of good young front rowers on the rise and yet the Reds bring Stephen Moore back into the fold...

I though Hay and Swaine from UQ were great prospects last year, but they'll need to be coached at some point in order to progress further. Herman Hunt has had a few false starts with coaching in previous years, fingers crossed he can commit this time, especially with a rookie head coach at the helm.

Interesting to note Norths prop Josh Mongard has been picked up by the Western Force Academy, after watching him play a few times last year, I struggle to see how the Reds academy wouldn't have had any interest, especially given the colts 2 prop from Easts (ex TGS lad) is now part of the academy squad. We were blessed with Downsey and big Pete Halapio last year, both are now grade eligible who I would also have ahead of the Easts bloke, Pete was part of the academy last year, but I am not sure if he has been renewed yet.

I have heard the young front rower from Bond last year has stopped playing, which is a shame, he seemed to be highly rated in qld u19 selections last year by the look of it.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think the Reds have got it pretty right in the last few years. If you look at what they’ve passed on in the last 2-3 years I think in the majority of cases for those that are already U19 and U20 and U20 + I think it’s a case that other franchises have picked up the fish that John West rejected and the Reds haven’t missed too much.

And this has coincided with the Team Thorn regime

For those that are still U18 I think it’s fair to say the jury is still out.

Would have been nice if Team Thorn had have been in full swing when Darcy Swain and Len Ikitau were there to be had 5 or 6 years ago, although in Swain’s case I can understand (at the time) being ranked behind Hockings and Blythe Snr.

Can’t keep everyone though. The historical issue has been keeping duds and losing studs . I think this current regime has reversed that trend.

Last edited:

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Norths v Souths

They are playing this one on the cricket oval at Shaw Park because a cricket score it will be. Souths forwards to run amok on a green top that lead to plenty of boundaries for Souths classy , but young , backline

UQ v Wests

UQ probably figure this will be a cakewalk, however, are at risk of a cakeholing. UQ should have their way with Wests forward pack which should see them win out. Should. Maybe. Interesting that Wests strip is green and yellow. Good camouflage colours for an ambush. If Wests do get up it won't be a heavy artillery attack through the forwards it will be the 20 year old ex TGS halves , Wilso Cochrane and Bax Franey picking off UQ's line with Darcy Reed letting a couple of rooks know that School isn't out yet. Of course Wests have to win some ball first. So there is that.

Brothers v GPS

Depends on who is available for Jeeps. Both teams probably won 3 or 4 more games than they should have last year on account of their respective stars - Werchon for Brothers and Aubrey for Jeeps. Both those guys won't play Colts this year and Baker probably won't either (for Jeeps) Jeeps don't have a 10. Brothers do. Brothers forwards are hacks but physical. I think they'll bully Jeeps who will cop heaps in the physical battle and what Brothers lack in talent across many spots on the park they'll make up for in muscle , bullshit and bluster. However, Brothers don't look all that aerodynamic or fleet of foot anywhere and one thing Jeeps will do is keep the ball alive and support the ball runner. Brothers by a rosary bead.

Easts v Sunnybank

Sort of a reunion for a few junior Dragons that are now Tigers. Sounds very Darwinian. Tiger Kings to slay the Dragons in what projects to a 4th trial - training run for BEasts. Still sounds very Darwinian.

Last edited:

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
I am told Souths have a policy that if you are Colts eligible and you are not selected as a Prems starter you will be expected to play Colts Rugby.

I am also told the Colts 1 pack will be a predominate 20 year old pack led by Saipele and Sawtell at 1 and 2 with a couple of 19 year olds in Leslie (Lock ) and Bryant ( 6 ) and a 18 year old 7 who has admirers - Downland's Pienaar. The big (unresolved) question is whether Sam Mataafa can toss one of Sean and Jack Farrell or Cullen Ngamanu , and possibly others who will be competing for a back row spot in Prems. Then there is also the question whether Jack Farrell is playing this year which is not 100% known at the moment. Anyway there is talent in the core of that forward pack if they are all available to play Colts.

I am told it is a pretty young backline ...predominantly 18 and 19 year olds

It seems as though it might be the same story at Jeeps ( in terms of the policy of playing Colts if you are 20 or under and can't nail down a starting Prems spot
Looks like Sawtell is playing 2 in Reserves.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Good for him. There might be some intention to get some time in Prems. But yes, the literal message of what I was told doesn’t seem to be the case. I do believe though, that Souths can’t be that black and white about it. Clubs have to be a bit more fluid about who plays where in order for them to put their best teams forward and still accommodate the individual ambitions of players.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Look out for a 15 at Norths by the name of Hamish Muir. Could surprise people this year. In that same mould as a Floyd Aubrey - Mac Grealy combo. Not saying he is as good but he looked pretty good coming out of Villa a couple of years ago. Not sure where he’s been ? Injured or League perhaps ? Anyway might be worth keeping an eye on.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Round 1 results are in …….

Attachments

• 4C1C4C6D-5CBF-45D8-B66E-40C65D65FA2B.jpeg
    4C1C4C6D-5CBF-45D8-B66E-40C65D65FA2B.jpeg
    434.9 KB · Views: 189

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Look out for a 15 at Norths by the name of Hamish Muir. Could surprise people this year. In that same mould as a Floyd Aubrey - Mac Grealy combo. Not saying he is as good but he looked pretty good coming out of Villa a couple of years ago. Not sure where he’s been ? Injured or League perhaps ? Anyway might be worth
Look out for a 15 at Norths by the name of Hamish Muir. Could surprise people this year. In that same mould as a Floyd Aubrey - Mac Grealy combo. Not saying he is as good but he looked pretty good coming out of Villa a couple of years ago. Not sure where he’s been ? Injured or League perhaps ? Anyway might be worth keeping an eye on.
Got a meat pie and norths up over the highly rated south’s

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
confucius say...you can do my footy tipping for the remainder of the year in all codes based on your colts picks.

Well done to brothers on winning, the loss of our 2 returning centres hurt us, it was a physical game for the most part, I thought our young troops aimed up well, I don't think Brothers are the team they have been previously, their 13 looks a good find though.

Interested in the UQ v Wests game, looked close and early reports suggest Wests haven't been great in trials. Were they better or were UQ coasting?

My souths man confirmed John Bryant came on as a fresh reserve in Premier Grade, Sawtell played reserve grade, Willem Johnstone fresh reserve for colts 1 and they made an ex norths player their captain as a token gesture and then dragged him at halftime, sounds like they underestimated Norths big time and paid the price. After reading GO's preview, I find this quite funny to be honest.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Sounds like it.

Maybe if Souths had have played 2 out of 3 of their Colts eligible players and no silly buggers at their 9 spot maybe a different result. With respect to these players they are not going to make much of a difference to a result in a close Prem Grade game.

This, and also the fact, that occasionally there comes along a player at any level that in their own individual play have a direct influence in the outcome of a game. I’ll stop short of calling North’s Hamish Muir that player at a Colts 1 level until I actually see him play a game again - but Floyd Aubrey was that player for Jeeps last year, and without him, I’m not sure that Jeeps get to where they got to. Norths may not have the same depth as last year’s Jeeps but 1 or 2 surprise packet players at Norths could keep them in the top 3 or 4.

And then anything can happen from there.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Outside of the surprise in closeness of Wests v UQ result ( 2 x rolling Maul tries- Penalty tries and not much else ) the bigger surprise was the Easts v Sunnybank low score result.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Outside of the surprise in closeness of Wests v UQ result ( 2 x rolling Maul tries- Penalty tries and not much else ) the bigger surprise was the Easts v Sunnybank low score result.
Agreed and here’s hoping to a better balanced comp wouldn’t it be great to see some of these lower ranked clubs go well and help with their ongoing recruiting leading to better open age performance.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

confucius say...you can do my footy tipping for the remainder of the year in all codes based on your colts picks.

Well done to brothers on winning, the loss of our 2 returning centres hurt us, it was a physical game for the most part, I thought our young troops aimed up well, I don't think Brothers are the team they have been previously, their 13 looks a good find though.

Interested in the UQ v Wests game, looked close and early reports suggest Wests haven't been great in trials. Were they better or were UQ coasting?

My souths man confirmed John Bryant came on as a fresh reserve in Premier Grade, Sawtell played reserve grade, Willem Johnstone fresh reserve for colts 1 and they made an ex norths player their captain as a token gesture and then dragged him at halftime, sounds like they underestimated Norths big time and paid the price. After reading GO's preview, I find this quite funny to be honest.
UQ forwards were all over wests. The UQ backline needs to sharpen up. Think there was some cattle missing.