• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS 2023

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
TAS has (as far as I recall) never played in the 1sts comp.

This year 1sts and 2nd played 2 rounds of 5 games (ex Grammar and High)
3rds played a 7-round comp (3rds from the core six minus Newington, plus TAS, SG and SBH 1sts).

Have been some variations to this in recent years.
Could I ask why Newington didn't field a 3rd XV...out of interest?

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
Could I ask why Newington didn't field a 3rd XV...out of interest?
Just to set the record straight regarding TAS. My 80 year old brother-in-law went to TAS - say around 1958 to 1960 and he told me last night, that the TAS First XV of that era used to play all of the Sydney GPS Schools back at that time. They would usually travel down and back in the train. A couple of notable Wallabies who went to TAS were Greg Cornelsen and Joe Roff.

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
How would that work do you think? Factoring all the other GPS sports of course.
GPS sport is a construct. It was created on an idea and can be modified by a better one.

I love the NZ model of schools rugby where the best schools in the area (define that however you will) play in a divisional rugby competition. Traditional fixtures are still played within and outside that competition - but the best schools or teams within schools play off for what is effectively a state/ provincial/ area premiership.

Could look like for example (and this is by no means a ranking - just a means of demonstrating the idea):

QLD Div 1: Nudgee 1XV, TGS 1XV, TSS 1XV, BSHS 1XV, BBC 1XV, Churchie 1XV, Nudgee 2nd XV, Sunshine Coast Grammar 1XV
QLD Div 2: Brisbane Grammar 1XV, GT 1XV, IGS 1XV, TSS 2XV, Downlands 1XV, BBC 2XV, Lauries 1XV, TGS 2XV
QLD Div 3: so on and so forth...

Traditional GPS fixtures could be played in preseason if need be, and the old GPS premiership awarded to the highest ranked team at seasons end - irrespective of whether each school has played each other or not.

Appreciate there is a large number of complexities to this and my idea may not necessarily be a 'better one', but in my honest opinion protecting the GPS, AIC, TAS concepts should not be the barrier to preventing competitive rugby from happening, nor restricting schools from playing against higher level competition. Tradition is good, compromise is better.

OldBack

Bob McCowan (2)
GPS sport is a construct. It was created on an idea and can be modified by a better one.

I love the NZ model of schools rugby where the best schools in the area (define that however you will) play in a divisional rugby competition. Traditional fixtures are still played within and outside that competition - but the best schools or teams within schools play off for what is effectively a state/ provincial/ area premiership.

Could look like for example (and this is by no means a ranking - just a means of demonstrating the idea):

QLD Div 1: Nudgee 1XV, TGS 1XV, TSS 1XV, BSHS 1XV, BBC 1XV, Churchie 1XV, Nudgee 2nd XV, Sunshine Coast Grammar 1XV
QLD Div 2: Brisbane Grammar 1XV, GT 1XV, IGS 1XV, TSS 2XV, Downlands 1XV, BBC 2XV, Lauries 1XV, TGS 2XV
QLD Div 3: so on and so forth...

Traditional GPS fixtures could be played in preseason if need be, and the old GPS premiership awarded to the highest ranked team at seasons end - irrespective of whether each school has played each other or not.

Appreciate there is a large number of complexities to this and my idea may not necessarily be a 'better one', but in my honest opinion protecting the GPS, AIC, TAS concepts should not be the barrier to preventing competitive rugby from happening, nor restricting schools from playing against higher level competition. Tradition is good, compromise is better.

This is a great idea. Alternatively, the premiers of the respective GPS, APS, AIC, etc play off in a finals series for area champ?

I'd like to see GPS played across 2 terms with home and away against all schools - that way the premiership is not lost on the back of one bad game and no school gains advantage from a quirk of that year's schedule. Just need those pesky soccer fans to accept that soccer people play soccer and rugby people play rugby!

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
O'Callaghan Cup this weekend with Downlands @ TGS. Any predictions?

TGS are very strong but anything can happen with the keys to the city are on the line.

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
O'Callaghan Cup this weekend with Downlands @ TGS. Any predictions?

TGS are very strong but anything can happen with the keys to the city are on the line.
I think TGS will win comfortably - game is at Old Boys oval. Interestingly TGS will probably field a full strength team unlike all other GPS schools who probably rest a few key players, when they play Downlands in their bye. Too much at stake for both schools not to give 100%. I remember in 1987 Downlands played NC (who were the GPS Premiers that year) at Downlands. Downlands had Tim Horan at #10, Brett Johnstone at half back, and Garrick Morgan in the forwards. I was at the game - Downlands won 11 - 6. One try scored by Brett Johnstone who picked the ball up from a ruck near halfway and ran approx 50 metres down the blindside to score. He was too quick. He played many games for the Reds and only 1 cap for the Wallabies, from memory. Should have played more.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think TGS will win comfortably - game is at Old Boys oval. Interestingly TGS will probably field a full strength team unlike all other GPS schools who probably rest a few key players, when they play Downlands in their bye. Too much at stake for both schools not to give 100%. I remember in 1987 Downlands played NC (who were the GPS Premiers that year) at Downlands. Downlands had Tim Horan at #10, Brett Johnstone at half back, and Garrick Morgan in the forwards. I was at the game - Downlands won 11 - 6. One try scored by Brett Johnstone who picked the ball up from a ruck near halfway and ran approx 50 metres down the blindside to score. He was too quick. He played many games for the Reds and only 1 cap for the Wallabies, from memory. Should have played more.
That year Downlands and TGS drew 6-6 I believe. Horan at 10 for Downlands, Jason Little at 10 for TGS.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Scored a hell of a try on test debut too.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
IMG_3750.png

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Dad is in the Hospital across the road from the Toowoomba Grammar fields where the younger blokes were playing Downloads yesterday. He said there was one kid from Downloads in bright Aqua boots who was scorching Grammar for fun (had a step, swerve and blistering speed). Anyone know who he is? Could be grade 9?? Maybe??

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)