• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Player Coach

Haven't had much time to look at teams, players or even who the favourites are for this years comp. ???
Can anyone give me a heads up of whos come through and who are the teams to beat.
I presume Nudgee and State High will be up there.

Any info on players, teams ect. post here.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Re: GPS (QLD) Teams, Upcoming Players, Players to Watch

Liam Gill and Matt Lucas from Terrace.

Liam Gill is a fantastic open side. Player of the U16s last year I believe.

Matt Lucas is Ben's little brother. Another flyhalf/scrummie. Very small though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

oh, and welcome to the BOARD!

R

rugbywhisperer

Welcome player coach - trust you enjoy your stay.
I will make comment here but I will be a little circumspect due to close association.
TSS are looking very good. They have 7 players in the current NTS squad and all are very good players. Simon Moraghan (Luke's brother) returns but is likely to play 12 or 13 instead of his Qld spot of 15.
They play NSW Far North Coast this Sunday in Lismore before choofing off to play StEddies and Barker on an Easter trip.

As to your comments, Liam is looking great at NTS training and will be a big concern for any opposing player.
TSS play NC in game 4 and State in game 5 I think so the premiership could very well be done and dusted by the holiday break - it is a distinct possibility.
State play NC in the last game.

There will be a great contest between the State and TSS backs. TSS forwards though are looking very menacing.

Watch the 3 TSS outside backs - with the inside backs they have they could be in for a great year. One of their wingers is lighning fast (sub 11 sec runner) and they all have great skills.

P

Player Coach

Thanks Noddy and RW.
Simon Moraghan, was he the one in QLD Schools last year? Ive heard alot about that bloke.
RW, is the outside backs you refering to Conrad Brown? I also heard alot about him last year but I have been overseas so I need to catch up.
Any other boys to watch out for?
What boys from State High are there?

R

rugbywhisperer

Yes, Simon was in Qld 1 last year, didn't have a great tournament in Canberra and is playing 12/13 this year (his choice).
Conrad Brown is one of the wingers yes - No 11
There are a number of lads who should go very well - exceptionally actually but I will let them do the talking.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

rugbywhisperer said:
Watch the 3 TSS outside backs - with the inside backs they have they could be in for a great year. One of their wingers is lighning fast (sub 11 sec runner) and they all have great skills.

Whispers, should we know much more about young Usain? ::) ::) ::)

P

Player Coach

Ah, thats who I heard of.
That Conrad Brown seems pretty fast. Must be up for Australian Schoolboys selection I must think running at that speed.
Looks like TSS should have better team than last years then, bit of a let down really, I was expecting better things from them.
Can never count out Nudgee or State High though

R

rugbywhisperer

Yeah - Conrad is pretty handy and you might be right on that Aussie Schoolboy thing.
By no means though is he anywhere near being the fastest.

Lindo - you know my policy. See you in July

R

rugbywhisperer

I was going to say a bit about TSS here but as no one else is chatting about their school and a bit of quid pro quo I will kepp our stuff secret until we meet.

R

rugbywhisperer

For all you schoolboy rugby lovers, The Southport School will be playing Barker at Barker Thurs15th at 11:00 am
See youz there

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

rugbywhisperer said:
For all you schoolboy rugby lovers, The Southport School will be playing Barker at Barker Thurs 15th at 11:00 am. See youz there.

Is that next week, whispers? Thursday's the 16th.

R

rugbywhisperer

Lindommer said:
rugbywhisperer said:
For all you schoolboy rugby lovers, The Southport School will be playing Barker at Barker Thurs 15th at 11:00 am. See youz there.

Is that next week, whispers? Thursday's the 16th.

Yeah that will do for me - Thurs 16th it is then, I just know it's Thursday. Playing St. Eddys on the Tuesday at Viking park as well.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

I'll have a word with the matron at Lee's nursing home, we'll be there. :D :D :D

R

rugbywhisperer

I will be the one wearing the daggiest blue TSS cap.

P

Player Coach

Getting closer and closer everyday fellas.
What players and schools are looking out to be the Hot Shots this year?

R

rugbywhisperer

Didn't see much point in having two similar topics here, merged the other with this.

Don't rely on the TSS-Churchie game tomorrow, only 2 of the probable 1st XV backs are playing and 6 forwards - apparently allowing the cricketers to have a go or not wanting to show a trump hand to Churchie 4 weeks away from their competition meeting.

As for the question, I can't answer for the other schools but TSS in their 1st XV runout look damned strong. It will take a very good side to beat them. Their forwards are very quick, very good and their backs are - well just electric - 5 of the 7 in NTS so it says something - I think. I wouldn't even count on seeing the final side next week either against State. Coach Jones is playing a very close hand on this one and is not going to let sillyness and errors deprive him and them of succes this year.
I have heard rumours of some player makeup at BSHS but I take that with lots of salt.
NC have imported again and are introducing their team to each other. Churchie apear to be a darkhorse but were accounted for by GT - who knows how serious and proper that was.

R

rugbywhisperer

TSS accounted for Churchie today 34-19 - 4 tries -1.
Not a bad showing considering 5 of the main backline were rested.
Too many silly errors in the first half by both sides, Churchie losing their main centre with a hamstring injury early in the game.
Goal kicking seems to be remedied from last year and only 1 of 7 attempts missed.
Looking forward to next week against State High but again I don't expect too many of the main 1st XV to be playing, close poker being played I am sure.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

rugbywhisperer said:
Yes, Simon was in Qld 1 last year, didn't have a great tournament in Canberra and is playing 12/13 this year

No, he didn't, but that happens a lot in schools tournaments. Brother Luke had an indifferent tournament in 2007 and Quade Cooper was quite ordinary the year before that.

Was a bit surprised last year that Simon, who was returning to school in 2009, was preferred to Baillie, who had all the wraps on him. This argues for Simon's quality and I look forward to watching him this year in whatever position he plays.

I am a bit frustrated watching schools tournaments sometimes, because you don't know what year a boy is in. I'd like the programmes to show an asterisk against their names if they are returning to school the following year; so one can make a better assesment of future promise. There is often a quantum step between the apparent ability of a lad in Yr 11 with that of the same boy a year later.

The programme change will never happen - nor will they ever put a "L" beside the names of boys who are going to play league when they walk out the school gates for the last time. This is another bugbear of mine - getting interested in the promise of a lad who was always going to league. To be fair: a lot of boys play both codes before they play union for their high schools, or were exclusively league players, but it is nevertheless frustrating.

And Nicky Price from Nudgee went to bloody Aussie Rules - he could play.

R

rugbywhisperer

Lee Grant said:
rugbywhisperer said:
Yes, Simon was in Qld 1 last year, didn't have a great tournament in Canberra and is playing 12/13 this year

No, he didn't, but that happens a lot in schools tournaments. Brother Luke had an indifferent tournament in 2007 and Quade Cooper was quite ordinary the year before that.

Was a bit surprised last year that Simon, who was returning to school in 2009, was preferred to Baillie, who had all the wraps on him. This argues for Simon's quality and I look forward to watching him this year in whatever position he plays.

I am a bit frustrated watching schools tournaments sometimes, because you don't know what year a boy is in. I'd like the programmes to show an asterisk against their names if they are returning to school the following year; so one can make a better assesment of future promise.

It will never happen - nor will they ever put a "L" beside the names of boys who are going to play league when they walk out the school gates for the first time. This is another bugbear of mine - getting interested in the promise of a lad who was always going to league. To be fair: a lot of boys play both codes before they play union for their high schools, but it is nevertheless frustrating.

And Nicky Price from Nudgee went to bloody Aussie Rules - he could play.

I am with you all the way on the league players. It is my biggest bugbear. I do believe however in the Qld NTS squad they have weeded out those likely to go to league leaving the purists.

As for Simon, he was only year 11 last year

Status
Not open for further replies.