• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

straightshooter

Thanks Whispers.
just heard a whisper that J. Butler from TSS is out for 2009 season - something about a shoulder reconstruction - poor bugger ??? ???- but understand he is already signed with Reds Acadmey for 2010 - maybe something there about the bigger picture.

R

rugbywhisperer

Yeah Butler is out and it isnt good for his Aus schools duty - he was looking particularly good and its a shame such a simple incident can have such catastrophic effects.
His replacement at 8 is more than capable as long as he passes the ball.

P

Player Coach

Straight shooter, did you watch that TSS vs BSHS game?
I agree 110% with whispers, Crook had it all over Sautia all day and Sautia couldn't catch a break.
Sautia is a very talented fellow but Crook was definetly the better player on the day.
Also, I have seen no signs what so ever of any other wingers besides Sautia, Brown and Crook that are any decent.
Anyone seen others?

R

rugbywhisperer

I am not sure but I think the shooter has come across from sportal and is used to the inane senseless type of crap that emanates from that establishment. it might take him a while to realise this forum actually has standards and we don't slag good players who have played well just to get a rise out of someone.

S

straightshooter

Whispers,
I understand that young Crook is a fairly special young man. His attack is unparralled in junior rugby - his defence has improved dramatically and has been a "stand-out". He is big, very fit and has "wheels". On top of that reports are that he is a nice kid.

The other wingers I have seen do not rate as Sautia (BSHS), Crook and Brown (TSS) - although there is a young chap named Lausie at TSS in the 16's who supposedly shows heaps of promise - watch his name next year.

Have never been on sportal but will now check out to see if Whispers is a guru there as well

Who will win GPS this year - BSHS HAVE to be favourites

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
State High play BBC this weekend and should thump them.

I hear there is some dis-quiet among the BBC rugby community with the current coaching staff and some of the selections. Boys are being selected then dropped, others are being picked out of position, and some obvious choices are not being picked at all.

With the high profile nature of the BBC coach, and the associated price tag that comes with such a profile comes with, there is talk that it might not be value for money.

It's not often you hear such troubles at the start of the season.

R

rugbywhisperer

I am not bagging BBC but since when did they ever have strong team or think they were up with the big boys. If BBC want results they had better be patient - they don't come easily or quickly. For a school that has not had a great rugby culture in recent history spitting the dummy so early in the season is one thing but expecting great things so early is just plain unrealistic.

S

straightshooter

jeez whispers - should not be 'slagging" BBC - its a great schoool with great traditions - their time will come especially if they start importing like Nudgee BSHS and TSS
Maybe you should edit some of your own comments.
One of the great freedoms in the western world, fought for on the battlefields of europe, asia and the pacific was free thought and expression.
Didn't realise that this site was privy to only your thoughts :( :( :( :(

R

rugbywhisperer

Sorry if I disapoint you - I actually come on here to have a decent informative objective chat not to have my comments rammed in my face just because we have a contrary opinion.
May I respectfully ask if you want to discuss topics then please do so in a non personal and objective manner, unlike Sportal where abuse and subjectivity seem to predominate discussion.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
BSHS 27 - BBC 0

The scoreline does not tell the full story as State High were up 20-0 at half-time and were doing as the pleased.

A few changes to the BBC team at the break made the Miskin boys look much better. More starch in the centres was the answer for College who battled bravely and showed the difference between a team that is made from scolarship boys and naturals is not that great.

The second half showed that BBC are no mugs so maybe they will stick with the XV from the 2nd half and give a few more of the fancied schools a fright.

From what I have seen, BSHS are the team to beat this year.

Terrible conditions that did neither team any favours.

P

Player Coach

Well
What an indeed interesting weekend of rugby.
TSS beat heavyweights Churchie, which was a good game considering the weather.
State were hard to penetrate from what I heard, but nothing to special there.
Nudgee scrapped by Ippy. Interesting games all round
I was at the Churchie game, a lot of kicking, a lot of ball on the deck. But all in all, very solid performance. The TSS outside backs didn't even get a look in. Crook and Brown hardly got the ball, but if TSS played logically, they would know that when these boys get the ball, they can score. Can really blame the weather for that though. Any other opinions of the weekend floating around the sheds
Any thought?

R

rugbywhisperer

Player Coach said:
Well
What an indeed interesting weekend of rugby.
TSS beat heavyweights Churchie, which was a good game considering the weather.
State were hard to penetrate from what I heard, but nothing to special there.
Nudgee scrapped by Ippy. Interesting games all round
I was at the Churchie game, a lot of kicking, a lot of ball on the deck. But all in all, very solid performance. The TSS outside backs didn't even get a look in. Crook and Brown hardly got the ball, but if TSS played logically, they would know that when these boys get the ball, they can score. Can really blame the weather for that though. Any other opinions of the weekend floating around the sheds
Any thought?

Twas a bit on the yeucky side.
Boys were playing to instructions to kick to the corner but you are right, they must use the two wingers more often - they are far too special to ignore - some great backing up by the backs.
Slipper had a great game at 8 , probably one of the best I've seen him play as did Hannaman at 6.
I din't ever think TSS would lose but it was hard to see how a win was going to happen.
James May looked very special for Churchie but killed it by running too much sideways.
The TSS defence is very solid.
The more the season progresses the more I believe Saturday week will not be like the trail against State.

P

Player Coach

Mmmm.
Those 2 wingers are true attack weapons, love watching that back 3 in action, just a spectacle in itself.
I agree with you there whispers.
I think it will be a VERY close game.
If TSS forwards are on song, it will be extremely hard to stop the TSS backs. When they are on their game they can just run riot and make holes through any teams defence
Must have a few GPS players in their team

R

rugbywhisperer

Player Coach said:
Mmmm.
Those 2 wingers are true attack weapons, love watching that back 3 in action, just a spectacle in itself.
I agree with you there whispers.
I think it will be a VERY close game.
If TSS forwards are on song, it will be extremely hard to stop the TSS backs. When they are on their game they can just run riot and make holes through any teams defence
Must have a few GPS players in their team

Hope so

P

Player Coach

Well, to be honest
I would not like to be a GPS selector
I think that many of these kids are going to be very disappointed and for the right reasons
There is very little between about 4 players for each position
But someone has to be picked.
I wouldn't like to be doing it./

R

rugbywhisperer

I just hope that selections are made honestly and on ability/attitude and not for political reasons or because someone is swayed one way or another by a third party with an agenda. The funny thing is - ask the kids, they actually have a very good ideas as to who the best players are and it's amazing how often the players know who should be in a team and what partnerships work better.

S

straightshooter

Yeah probably right there Whispers.
Junior rugby, like junior all sports is often chosen politically or at least some "favourites" get the nod. Fair unfair its just the way it is - of course if your kid gets the nod then its OK if not then selectors are biased and crap.

Overall the system works and whilst some boys may not get picked if they are good enough then success for them will follow eventually. Might be hard on the father but. :(

Whilst most of the QLD 1 &2 sides will have a majority of GPS boys plenty of others will be selected as well and get the opportunity they richly deserve.

However if you leave it to the kids then it really becomes subjective because they just want to play with their mates. Better off with the "system" we have.

Am sure coaches want best boys selected because like all coaches THEIR reputation and 'bragging rights" depends on the performances of their team ;D ;D ;D

Does anyone know when the GPS teams get chosen and when the QLD trials are on ?????

R

rugbywhisperer

straightshooter said:
Yeah probably right there Whispers.
Junior rugby, like junior all sports is often chosen politically or at least some "favourites" get the nod. Fair unfair its just the way it is - of course if your kid gets the nod then its OK if not then selectors are biased and crap.
Overall the system works and whilst some boys may not get picked if they are good enough then success for them will follow eventually. Might be hard on the father but. :(
Whilst most of the QLD 1 &2 sides will have a majority of GPS boys plenty of others will be selected as well and get the opportunity they richly deserve.
However if you leave it to the kids then it really becomes subjective because they just want to play with their mates. Better off with the "system" we have.
Am sure coaches want best boys selected because like all coaches THEIR reputation and 'bragging rights" depends on the performances of their team ;D ;D ;D
Does anyone know when the GPS teams get chosen and when the QLD trials are on ?????

In Qld IMO it goes further than that.
For instance, many players and coaches etc. may read a local website and the writer on that site may actively promote the players from one particular school while playing down the impact or abilities of opposing players and people who don't actually see the games take his comments as gospel.
Now while that may be innocent enough the comments could be seen to carry significant weight.
No one can criticize anyone's 'opinion' but it's what he doesn't say that may be most damning.
If one is going to write and expect it to be read by people who matter then there is an inferred responsibility to be objective and fair in those writings.
It's as if this one school may have their own independent publicity machine that while seemingly objective may be in many cases blatently subjective in it's content and if a reader didn't know the reality they could be strongly influenced by this.

S

straightshooter

15 man rugby is a pretty good read - comments seem to only be about positives things about players. Never (to my knowledge) does be "bag" anyone and seems to have a genuine interest in our game and the young players who not only play the game at top level but also all the good things that surround this great game of ours. Some of his comments have little to do directly with the game and outcomes but with life and stories of families, life which is great - don't believe any criticism should be levelled at this fellow :-[ :-[ :-[

S

straightshooter

This thread on GPS
BSHS, N.C. and TSS are undefeated at this stage. TSS and NC get to belt themselves this week so there will only be probably 2 undefeated teams by saturday night. Then BSHS play TSS the following week. It would seem that TSS need to be on their game to win back to back games against 2 of the favourites of the comp.

Who is going to win the comp - I reckon
1.BSHS

Status
Not open for further replies.