• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SHS edged Grammar. 103-0. A record surely?

Churchie dealt with Toowoomba 44-13.

TSS 29 - BBC 12.

And we might skip the terrace v nudgee score.

No?

Ok NC 44 d GT zippo

R

rugbywhisperer

Come on Nod - don't be too down, they actually took 15 off Nudgee - it wasn't a zip score

R

rugbyfreak

I'm guessing that every man and his dog will be at the NC, BSHS game next weekend?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So reading the paper and it tells me that State High finished the season as it played it all year. Winning and winning well in defeating Nudgee 43-12. It was 29-0 at half time.

Meanwhile GT beat BBC 38-7.

Oh and the game was called early with 6 players red carded after an all in brawl.

I wasn't there but I know there were others on the board who were...

R

rugbyfreak

Went out to the State High v Nudgee game yesterday, wasn't expecting the size of the crowd and had to walk for about 20min to get to the ground. Caught the last 10min of the 2nds game, good game with State High winning. Even Ch 7 was there and showed highlights of the game during the sport in last nights news. When was the last time anyone has seem local schoolboy rugby on TV? Do you think that the QRU has pulled some favours for a "feel good" news story given the PR hammering that they have been handed in the last few weeks???

A few other surprises - Jeff Acton looking after this game and not Souths v Brothers??? I saw Charlie Fetoai at the game, great news that he is up and about.

First half was great, some amazing trys from the State High backs, no dropped ball, no panic passes, and pace to burn. For me the State High forwards really dominated their opposition with their 7 scoring a great try, bursting straight through the middle of the Nudgee pack, from about 22 out. I'm sure in the years to come it will grow in length and complexity!!!! Lineouts were even, defense was outstanding from both sides with some bone crunching hits.

Watching the 13 (Faulkner) for State High I can only ask, how was he told to play in Sydney? If he was asked to cart the ball back inside to his support, he has certainly "taken one for the team". The way he was able to get on the outside of his man and use his fend was great.

Second half was a bit of a change, Nudgee had a lot more of the ball and their maul and backs really stepped up. A lot of the ball was thrown straight to Kimame and he was damanging every time he got the ball. The 2 trys that Nudgee scored in the second half were freakish. I thought that we might be in for a grandstand finish here, but the State High boys put on another couple of trys and that was the end of it. Looking forward to next year now. Be keen to see what other people thought of the game if they were there?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The 1991 GT v NC match had highlights on the news that night. I know that. Can't talk for the subsequent years.

R

rugbywhisperer

Gold Coast news occasionally have segment on TSS if it's a big game

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Belated welcome Lance F

Gill should be sent a firm message and be dropped from the Oz Schools team for one game, even though he was one of the two best players in the recent Oz Schools tournament.

G

godson

Lee, disappointed that you've taken Lance's word as gospel re the events at GT V BBC last weekend - unless you know something that i don't know. Gill, like the five others sent off for participating in the skirmish, will be dealt with by the schools as is appropriate. GT and BBC are decent schools who will be taking this very seriously.

I was at the game also. I agree that the ref had options that would most likely have resulted in a match which finished with 15 players on the park from both teams. Then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

My problem is this. Lance has declared himself as the father of a kid that got hit. He has played out a story (king hit from behind) that i certainly didn't see, and that nobody else i have spoken to saw. I'd say benefit of the doubt lies with the player rather than the emotional dad. I find it hard to believe that one kid with an exemplary record in rugby can be singled out and trashed by an opposing team parent who is upset because his kids ego got bruised. Worse still that you, Lee, will take that parents opinion as fact and declare Gills punishment on that basis. My guess is that the kids left it behind once full time was called, unlike Lance - at least that's the way it looked when the various combatants stood chatting with each other at the post game function. In my opinion, if a kid chooses to participate in an onfield skirmish, then he outght not be surprised if a punch comes his way. Doesn't excuse the fact that punching is not appropriate in schoolboy football, but lets keep the balance.

So how about we let the schools go about their business in dealing with this, rather than taking one parent's view of events. I would lay odds that the principals of the schools and their senior staff are taking this seriously and the boys will feel punishment which fits the "crime".

And finally, when we signed on to this site, we agreed not to defame, print untruths, etc etc. I think Lance could take a good look at his accusations in that light. Individual, direct, personal persecution of players, especially schoolboys, is way over the line in my view.

R

rugbywhisperer

Welcome aboard there Godson.
All very good points there I must say. If it wasn't for the fact that we only played you the week before one would think that BBC were a bunch of thugs. I saw nothing in our game that might even come close to what happened last Saturday.
I think what Lee meant, and by no means an I speaking for him, was that irrespective of perseptions and biases, Liam was red carded and the punishment for that is one week in the cooler. Lee did not have to consider Lance's account of things - they are irrelevant - the red card is fact.
Now if it had been the 2nd grade game - thats different.

G

godson

No argument whispers. I only see the GT first XV home games so wasn't at TSS for the main game.

I abandoned another rugby forum earlier this year because of the personal attacks made on players by a few turkeys. So i am reacting to the personal attack on one player when 6 were red carded, all for the same offence. Funny thing is, the game could easily have ended with no red cards, or on the other hand if everyone who got involved in fistycuffs was red-carded the final number would have been much higher. No excuses for the behaviour, it's unacceptable.

Agreed there is a process. I've no idea what it is or whether it has already happened. But presumably it involves referee reports, video, GPS protocol, precedent, school ethics and player track record. Let the 6 lads be subject to that process. But please, let's not try them online where emotional parents can hurl insults and slander, some of which may actually be believed! And lets not single out one lad when many committed the same offence.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think that's enough fellows on this incident else we will be lowering ourselves to Sportal levels.

Welcome aboard godson. Yes I did take LanceF at his word - why would I not? He is new to the forum and has no record of being untruthful or mischievous. You are new also and it is ditto for you.

We have all witnessed incidents in our lives where another person has seen the same thing as we have yet afterwards they describe something different to what we saw. Maybe they saw things from a different angle and maybe not; maybe their eyes were focussed on a different part of the incident - and maybe not; but as sure as God made little apples we are going to be involved in such disputed events.

And to convince the other person, or 3rd parties, that our version of events is righteous and theirs not, is like pissing in the wind.

Anyone who thinks this doesn't happen should attend the Magistrates Court sometimes or watch the movie "The Seven Samurai".

Since the versions are not reconcilable, any further discussion about the facts of the case, as the protagonists saw the facts, will be nuked.

Have a nice day.

G

godson

Fair and agreed.

This site was my hideaway from sportal....let me not be part of taking us there.

G

godson

"Since the versions are not reconcilable, any further discussion about the facts of the case, as the protagonists saw the facts, will be nuked."

I think Lee got the answer right. Let's agree to leave it in the faithful hands of the rugby gods.

S

straightshooter

agree nothing about facts - rules are rules !!! If any kid gets the red he is out for next schoolboy game irrespective of what game. Playing rugby should also be about control - control your temper, control the ball.

this lad seems to have a bit of history - understand he is a very talented footy player but needs to read the "rule book" and play the game fairly - well, reasonably fairly anyway :eek:

G

Geronimo

straightshooter said:
agree nothing about facts - rules are rules !!! If any kid gets the red he is out for next schoolboy game irrespective of what game. Playing rugby should also be about control - control your temper, control the ball.

this lad seems to have a bit of history - understand he is a very talented footy player but needs to read the "rule book" and play the game fairly - well, reasonably fairly anyway :eek:

Straightshooter pray tell about this boy's history? I have been watching his play since the 16's last year and he is talented, gives away a few penalties as any good loosie will do, but history??? Please enlighten me or are you shooting from the hip????

R

rugbywhisperer

Welcom Gman to the sanity side of rugbydiscussion. It's about time you joined us here.
I am not sure of history on Gilly either - he does live on the edge and gives away the odd penalty but that is his job. I haven't seen any foul play from him at all.

S

straightshooter

I also have not seen any "foul" play from this lad who I acknowledge is a talented fellow. However from the reports on this site in the BBC v GT game he has done the wrong thing - one of the worst is hitting anybody else from the blindside. Don't mind a front-on whack as nobody really gets hurt but when a player doesn't see it coming then the ramifications can be dire !!!!! (from Lance F)

I have only seen the lad for last 12 months or so as well. Sure, agree loosie's should be playing on the edge but the really good ones limit penalties otherwise they end up being a liability to the team and not an asset.

I was told that even at the recent Aussie titles at Knox the Ref pulled the lad out of the dressing room prior to the second game and gave him a gobful about penalties etc (in the first game) and that he would be right on him. I believe that the Ref WAS WRONG in doing that and putting pressure on the lad. BUT HE DID IT ANYWAY. Obviously this puts the team under extra pressure.

Whispers - with respect, giving away penalties is not a job for any player !!!!! Surely the one of the secrets of rugby is not giving away penalties and if a team has a player that gives away too many he will get the flick !!!!

R

rugbywhisperer

I didn't say it was his job to give away penalties - it's his job to live on the edge as per Mccaw, Smith, Waugh - and any loosie who isn't on the edge is not doing his job or is so conservative he would be next to useless.
On another point, as most would appreciate, in many circumstances a penalty is preferable to continuing play and artful loosies and others have made an artform out of giving away 'professional penalties' - so yes, in some circumstance it is his job. ;)
I am terribly sorry if you didn't fully comprehend my comment or understand the nuances of back row play.

G

Geronimo

straightshooter said:
However from the reports on this site in the BBC v GT game he has done the wrong thing - one of the worst is hitting anybody else from the blindside. Don't mind a front-on whack as nobody really gets hurt but when a player doesn't see it coming then the ramifications can be dire !!!!! (from Lance F)

I have only seen the lad for last 12 months or so as well. Sure, agree loosie's should be playing on the edge but the really good ones limit penalties otherwise they end up being a liability to the team and not an asset.

I was told that even at the recent Aussie titles at Knox the Ref pulled the lad out of the dressing room prior to the second game and gave him a gobful about penalties etc (in the first game) and that he would be right on him. I believe that the Ref WAS WRONG in doing that and putting pressure on the lad. BUT HE DID IT ANYWAY. Obviously this puts the team under extra pressure.

Whispers - with respect, giving away penalties is not a job for any player !!!!! Surely the one of the secrets of rugby is not giving away penalties and if a team has a player that gives away too many he will get the flick !!!!

I was also not at the game so I am only repeating info which can be dangerous, but my good mate was there and he agreed that Gill did strike out but that boy was doing some damage himself. This may be a biased view but I believe so is Lance's. In regards to the Sydney games, I have only watched the TV final game and he didn't transgress more than you would expect. I have spoken with a number of the boys who have played with Gill in the last two years and they will have him in the team every time!

Status
Not open for further replies.