• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

secondrow

GT boys must have a pretty strong resilience - turning up week on week to get hammared. They also cop it from other schools, parents & on facebook. It is about time GT old boys took it on to pressure the school hierarchy to change the rugby programe. Rugby is not everything but sport is a crucial part of any youth's development. There seems to be a problem with all GT sports programes. In respect to rugby a look through all scores in all age levels shows it is just a problem in the opens. The headmaster & the director of rugby should take the bulk of the criticism not the boys. For all the criticism levelled at Nudgee has an extremely strong shool spirit throughot the school. This is not because of achievements of the cattle stud or chess program but because of achievements on the sporting arena. As GT banners say "No excuses" but time is running out to turn the ship around.

Being a Terrace boy myself it's quite interesting to see the inner workings of the firsts. I get the impression (it may not be correct) that we're not developing our future 1st 15 players early enough. I've been told by a friend that is in the firsts squad that they didn't start training properly as a team until this years Easter holidays, not long at all before trials begun. It's my belief that starting much earlier could only be positive for the team. I'd also just like to add that I think the criticism levelled at our firsts this year is very unfair. They go out every week and play their hearts out, they leave everything on the field. To be completely honest I don't care if we win or lose, as long as I can see that they have given it their all, I'll be happy to go to the firsts every week despite the huge scores against us.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Being a Terrace boy myself it's quite interesting to see the inner workings of the firsts. I get the impression (it may not be correct) that we're not developing our future 1st 15 players early enough. I've been told by a friend that is in the firsts squad that they didn't start training properly as a team until this years Easter holidays, not long at all before trials begun. It's my belief that starting much earlier could only be positive for the team. I'd also just like to add that I think the criticism levelled at our firsts this year is very unfair. They go out every week and play their hearts out, they leave everything on the field. To be completely honest I don't care if we win or lose, as long as I can see that they have given it their all, I'll be happy to go to the firsts every week despite the huge scores against us.

It would be perhaps forgiven if the losses were by small margins, the XV has been appauling, 3 losses of over 70 points. It gets to a point where the excuses dry up and the school has to take responsibility of it. To their credit it hasn't trickled down to the younger grades and they seem to still be competitive which is a good sign for the next few years. Again, the pride the school has and their efforts must be commended, obviously the talent just isn't there to compete in this competition. Knowing GT they will recover and the whole GPS hopes it sooner rather than later.

It is by no means the fault of the boys, lets make that clear

S

secondrow

It would be perhaps forgiven if the losses were by small margins, the XV has been appauling, 3 losses of over 70 points. It gets to a point where the excuses dry up and the school has to take responsibility of it. To their credit it hasn't trickled down to the younger grades and they seem to still be competitive which is a good sign for the next few years. Again, the pride the school has and their efforts must be commended, obviously the talent just isn't there to compete in this competition. Knowing GT they will recover and the whole GPS hopes it sooner rather than later.

I'm more referring to the criticism from other sections of society. There was an appalling opinion piece (yes, I understand it's the authors opinion) about our firsts recently that was less about rugby and more about slagging off at them. They're 16/17 year old boys after all, not professionals. Although, as they say, no pain no gain. Thanks for your response.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I am not a regular in this thread but just wanted to say cheers for a bloody entertaing game in the curtin raiser for the Reds vs Brumbies game last weekend.

Cheers and credit to all those who played. :thumb

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
With regards to Terrace team this year, I believe the results reflect a "perfect storm". This team as u16 also did not win a match last year. Poor/late preparation for unknown reasons, lack of facility access due to floods etc etc.

However, like BGS a couple of years ago and Nudgee a couple of years before that, the results are not considered acceptable and I hear that there is a whole of sport review on the cards. It is hoped that Terrace can turn it around through this review and actions to follow as BGS and Nudgee have now done.

I know a few fathers of boys in the First XV at Terrace. By no means are they giving up. The scores may suggest it, but the boys are just being thoroughly outclassed in all facets.

It is a pity those in charge have had to wait for the "perfect storm" to start change.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
With regards to Terrace team this year, I believe the results reflect a "perfect storm". This team as u16 also did not win a match last year. Poor/late preparation for unknown reasons, lack of facility access due to floods etc etc.

However, like BGS a couple of years ago and Nudgee a couple of years before that, the results are not considered acceptable and I hear that there is a whole of sport review on the cards. It is hoped that Terrace can turn it around through this review and actions to follow as BGS and Nudgee have now done.

I know a few fathers of boys in the First XV at Terrace. By no means are they giving up. The scores may suggest it, but the boys are just being thoroughly outclassed in all facets.

It is a pity those in charge have had to wait for the "perfect storm" to start change.

Terrace has been centre of a fair bit of criticism lately and its not only the rugby program that is struggling. I don't wish to start a big scholarship debate as there is a seperate thread for that, but I will say that during the time that all that blew up in the Courier-Mail (last year?) alot of questions were asked over Terraces anti-scholarship approach. In which it was questioned if they would be able to compete in the competition with natural home grown talent.

Perhaps we are seeing the implications of it now. I would not advise any of you replying to attempt to address this issue as the mods certainly won't encourage this topic but I thought it was quite a valid point at the time and I can't help but wonder if thats where Terrace is beginning to fall behind.

Just my thoughts, I do hope its not at all related and its just an off year for GT. Saw it last year with ACGS and they managed to restructure their systems and bounce back to the top of the ladder. Praying GT can restore its former status before its too late

C

cheekychooks

bgs vs tss saturday will see some interesting match ups with a few tss converts going against their old school in the bgs #2 and cornelson, interesting to see how #2 goes against wakely

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)

Very true, it's sad to see one of Australia's great Rugby nurseries suffer so badly in recent times. From speaking to a couple of spectators, GT's problem is their physicality, or rather lack thereof. The squad is a reasonably skilled group, but their inability to apply pressure in defence and make simple, effective tackles is the biggest weakness. It's true what they say, great teams are built around great defensive structures.

Silverback

Bob McCowan (2)
Agreed. Perhaps not by 50+ but a second string state high team would be competitive against most 1st XV regardless the school. Downlands have been impressive, and although they did beat a second string ACGS I don't think state high will let their reputation slip by a loss to downlands. Expect reinforcements and some new BSHS talent to be uncovered. BSHS by 15-20

Light, it may be of interest to know that Downlands had 6 or 7 1st xv players out with flu against Churchie and had a yellow card. No doubt that Churchie 1sts were having a well earned rest but if Downlands can get close to full strength this weekend they will test BSHS. Most of the Downlands team have just competed for the Darling Downs at the CSS state championships and lost a tight Grand Final to Northern. They will have about 11 reps at the State schoolboys trials.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Continuing with Terrace review. They may have dropped the ball with the focus on what other schools were doing over the last couple of years. From what I hear, they realise that and it is about being smarter with the talent they have. It just may take a few years that are required with things like strength and conditioning.

M

MARKS

Lauries v Padua.
Lauries have been unlucky this season.......lead most games and get knocked off late in their games.

R

Rubboo

Just thought I would ask the question, where to for Brisbane State High post 2011. They lose their two best players in F'Sautia and Browning, have no remaining players from previous premiership wins, and all of a sudden don't look as formidable as they have in the last few years.. I don't mean to be provocative or implying that they still aren't title contenders, but what are you're thoughts?

State highs placed 2nd in the 15As last year and our placed in the top 3 for the 16As so far with couple players playing 1st XV. So counting them out for 2012 isnt a fair comment. But for 2013 they wont be the strongest side but anything can happen in 2 years.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
State highs placed 2nd in the 15As last year and our placed in the top 3 for the 16As so far with couple players playing 1st XV. So counting them out for 2012 isnt a fair comment. But for 2013 they wont be the strongest side but anything can happen in 2 years.

The only reason I said it was due to the loses of Curtis Browning, Swann, Maile and F'Sautia. No school can replace that type of talent, other school's also don't seem to be losing such key players at the end of this year..

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I have a sneaky suspicion it won't end that badly for terrace. The boys in blue and grey have BSHS and IGS the next two weeks so the chances of Jonesy a)sending out a full 1st XV and b) leaving star players on the field are quite low. Sure they will have a strong line-up but I think it will be mostly 16s with a few solid players in the mix just so it doesn't go too badly. Once a handy lead is on the board he will start pulling them off. Expect ACGS to still win it comfortably on the back of solid defence and counter attacking, no 70 point gap though. ACGS by 30, GT to not score a try

C

cheekychooks

will bgs bounce back from their recent defeat or will southport pull together two wins on the trot.... thoughts?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Being a bit controversial here but I don't really rate BGS. Sure they are building and getting stronger but their whole backline is based around Davies and Greene. Their early wins, sure they were convincing but they were against TGS, GT and IGS (another team on the up). I know this is going to get criticised so bear with me and respect my opinion. I don't see them beating TSS this weekend, TSS has a very good lineup and just haven't hit their stride for whatever reason. They had tough matches against NC, BSHS and ACGS early on and hence they are lower than expected on the table. TSS have too much quality in their forward pack and if they can get their combinations right they should be able to cause some real problems for BGS. I just have a bad feeling about this one and TSS looked very good against ACGS when they drew. TSS in an upset

By all means give you're reasons why BGS will win, I understand this is a schoolboy thread and you have pride at stake, but don't crucify me for my prediction. It's just the way I see it, and if BGS win I will happily take the criticism in my stride

H

hatman

I recall the current opens team in the GT under 15As in 2009 won more games than they lost including wins against BGS, IGS and I think Churches. All 3 of these schools are thereabouts in this year's 1sts comp. So what went wrong in the intervening 2 years? The GT boys have not come on or developed which could be due to coaching or the other GPS teams have got stronger through recruiting new talent. It could be a combination of these with an emphasis on the latter.

Whatever way you look at it the GT rugby program is starting to look a little shaky. This year's record sheet shows for 5 rounds the GT under 16s have only 1 draw (in round 1) to their credit with no wins - hardly better than last year. GT supporters will use the old chestnut of players in the firsts but this no longer holds up as this was an issue at GT last year & all schools have the same problem. The 15As have only 1 win, the 14As and 13As 2 wins each - a combined total of 6 wins and a draw out of 20 games in the four 'A' teams. Based on these results to say only the opens are less talented is a bit rich. There is a problem that is slowly developing throughout the rugby program. I don't share your optimism for the next few years and unless something is done to rugby program GT will get left further behind.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I recall the current opens team in the GT under 15As in 2009 won more games than they lost including wins against BGS, IGS and I think Churches. All 3 of these schools are thereabouts in this year's 1sts comp. So what went wrong in the intervening 2 years? The GT boys have not come on or developed which could be due to coaching or the other GPS teams have got stronger through recruiting new talent. It could be a combination of these with an emphasis on the latter.

Whatever way you look at it the GT rugby program is starting to look a little shaky. This year's record sheet shows for 5 rounds the GT under 16s have only 1 draw (in round 1) to their credit with no wins - hardly better than last year. GT supporters will use the old chestnut of players in the firsts but this no longer holds up as this was an issue at GT last year & all schools have the same problem. The 15As have only 1 win, the 14As and 13As 2 wins each - a combined total of 6 wins and a draw out of 20 games in the four 'A' teams. Based on these results to say only the opens are less talented is a bit rich. There is a problem that is slowly developing throughout the rugby program. I don't share your optimism for the next few years and unless something is done to rugby program GT will get left further behind.

It's not the win/loss ratio that's concerning more so the margin of defeat. Sure the younger grades aren't winning either but you have to give them credit for keeping the matches somewhat competitive. Mind you by the time those A teams get to 1st XV, other schools will have star 'new' players and the kids that were competitive won't be up to the same standard. It's not looking good for GT mind you it's not too late to stop the rot either.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)

Good questions and points raised here.

The current opens did travel okay when in the 15A's in 2009. They then lost a key / leading player in the team due to father's job relocation at the end of 2009 and the results was that they tanked badly last year. BTW - that player is now playing 2nd XV or thereabouts at Nudgee. Current 16A's - I believe have won as many as lost in prior years, apart from five or six players in the Firsts this year, no other changes. Current 15A's - have lost five key players to season ending injuries before the GPS season had even begun. Last year when in 14A's, that team only lost two games (NC and IGS), both in the last minute and is the only team to come close to beating an awesome Nudgee team in their level in the last three years. The 14A's lost one of their key playmakers to Aussie Rules this year. Don't know too much about 13's

What this says to me is that there is not much depth across any of the years at moment. Missing one or two key players (as has occurred) therefore has a massive impact on the results. However when the best players are fit/available in the current non Open age groups I believe that the Terrace teams can be competitive.

As stated in a previous post, the school realises that they have dropped the ball in some areas and do not accept being left behind and will make changes to their programme structure. I believe strength and conditioning is one such crucial area. To see the tangible benefits of changes in this area will take time (a couple of years). I believe GT will also benefit the most from Rugby being moved to third term from next year. Up until now (probably because of a lack of depth) players have not committed to only the one sport programme and the pre season preparation for rugby has been extremely short and poor compared to other schools and even some other sports because of rugby players commitments to other summer sports.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Depth is one thing, quality is another. Terrace lack quality and right now there is no short term fix, they need a restructuring of the system so:
a) they can start producing their own talent
b) when the talented players start getting noticed by rival schools (or poachers as i like to call them) GT has the right set up and coaches so that players don't want to leave
c) culture changes can occur, losing can't be seen as acceptable and players need to remain competitive throughout the season regardless of loses.

It's going to get worse before it gets better, all GT can do right now is try ensure that the talented players in younger grades stay and create development squads so that these players feel like they are developing and are competing at a high level. Don't expect Terrace to be competing for the premiership for a few years

Status
Not open for further replies.