• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fourgreatkids

i disagree with ya light, i mean sure the two best players in the backline are greene and davies, so why would you not focus your attack around them, their kicking game is superb and so what good team would not play to their strengths? as for the forward pack, they might not have the stand out individual that every other school has, like ippy, but as a unit, they have overcome every forward pack they have come oup against. even with their lack of size. i think the forwards always rise to a challenge and this will week will run the TSS forwards off their feet, would not be surpirsed if BGS demolish another forward like they have to every other team.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
i disagree with ya light, i mean sure the two best players in the backline are greene and davies, so why would you not focus your attack around them, their kicking game is superb and so what good team would not play to their strengths? as for the forward pack, they might not have the stand out individual that every other school has, like ippy, but as a unit, they have overcome every forward pack they have come oup against. even with their lack of size. i think the forwards always rise to a challenge and this will week will run the TSS forwards off their feet, would not be surpirsed if BGS demolish another forward like they have to every other team.

You are underestimating the TSS forward pack. Paraka (Qld 1), Wakely (Aus Schools), Fattal, Vasiliades. TSS haven't been dominated by any school during scrum time or during lineouts, their downfall is the backline. They have a quality 9 in Fairnington they just lack the attacking players such as the Cox's they had last year. BGS won't win this on forward pack alone, I think their quality is in the backline with Davies and Greene and no doubt that is where their game plan will lie. I'm not ruling BGS out by any means, I just don't think they will beat a school they have struggled to compete against in recent years. Sure, BGS is on the rise and TSS slowly going downhill but this is a match TSS will fancy themselves in, and any school with that amount of talent is hard to beat when they have confidence

F

fourgreatkids

yeah but grammar has struggled against every team prior toi the last two years and from what ive heard, their forward pack really struggle to go over the advantage line or any suurpising option in attack. the two teams that have stayed disciplined against them have beat them, grammars defense is outstanding and their soft trys they let in last week, have been punished out of them by coach gardner. expected to rain as well, big boys and mud should be great to see.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Fourgreatkds, most the time you're posts are valid but this is perhaps a little exaggerated. Grammar are 3 wins from 4 games, 2 of the wins coming against the bottom of the ladder teams, the other by one point against a mid-table team. The loss, while not a big loss was still to a team who drew with your next opponents. And some would argue outplayed the team you lost to. I don't mean to criticise Grammar but to say they are outstanding is a stretch of the imagination, they are on the up and its important that they don't get ahead of themselves. TSS will provide a big challenge for them regardless of you're view. When the season is all said and done, if Grammar is still sitting pretty with the one loss than perhaps I will congratulate you on being a genius, but for now its a little too early.

Let the players do the walking and perhaps after this weekend if BGS win I will reconsider my thoughts. In the meantime it's far too early to be rating them until they face a significant challenge. Fortunately that will be this weekend and much like IGS v NC, it will be a reality check for the team with only one loss.

F

fourgreatkids

well if were going on past games, southport lost to BSHS, who were beaten by ippy who got beaten by grammar. grammar beat toowomba by 20 tss by 18. with the scores beaing 22-18 with 10 to go. grammar has beaten bottom teams, but toowomba away is never easy no matter how you are going and ippy were in hot form when they played bgs. i think your underestimating grammar. they were poor last week no doubt, but one bad game in recent times shouldnt put them to the sword

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
You are underestimating the TSS forward pack. Paraka (Qld 1), Wakely (Aus Schools), Fattal, Vasiliades. TSS haven't been dominated by any school during scrum time or during lineouts, their downfall is the backline. They have a quality 9 in Fairnington they just lack the attacking players such as the Cox's they had last year. BGS won't win this on forward pack alone, I think their quality is in the backline with Davies and Greene and no doubt that is where their game plan will lie. I'm not ruling BGS out by any means, I just don't think they will beat a school they have struggled to compete against in recent years. Sure, BGS is on the rise and TSS slowly going downhill but this is a match TSS will fancy themselves in, and any school with that amount of talent is hard to beat when they have confidence

Some interesting selections down on the Coast this week with the Qld 1 prop 2010 (Paraka) sea-gulling in the centres. Might hurt the TSS pack. Saw him play up at Terrace last year and he seems to have the pace. But defensively?
Also the BGS No 8 to take out some agression against the school that showed him the door.

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
Props in backlines - that sounds like a coaches nightmare or a plot to play the game wide and force changes in game strategy from the opposition.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
perhaps he doesn't think BGS has size in the backline, hence moving a big prop there to run over the top of them. Mind you it has to be doing damage to the TSS scrum, you cant replace a Qld 1 player that easily. It's clearly a roll of the dice, will either pay dividends in the form of a win, or turn out a nightmare and they get thrashed. Either way will be an interesting match to watch me thinks

F

fourgreatkids

southport. i dunno about this prop in the centres, i mean BGS does have a small 12, but consistently he has shown himself to be a solid defender up against much bigger blokes and with Blake laud outwide, dunno if this will pay off

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Paraka was the second fastest player in the TSS squad behind Lindsay Crook, so that's quite an achievement. From all reports he's picked up speed, and I've heard his passing is very high standard. Could be a brilliant move by TSS.

L

leftside

Churchie 28 def GT 10. Halftime 7-3 to Churchie.

Obviously a much better performance by the Terrace lads, you've gotta give it to them they've got heart.

Birgan was playing 7, a coincidence or has the GT coach made a massive blunder playing him at 12 so far this season...

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
ACGS 28 - GT 10
Standouts for ACGS: 4 (Crow), 7(Mitchell) ,8 (Oppenheimer),14 (Ioane)
Standouts for GT: 2 (Mellor) ,7 (Birgin) ,8 (Ayala)

Pretty close game, GT definately lifted and have the best fan base i've seen in schoolboys rugby. Was close up until half time, unfortunately refs whistle was constant and often in GT's favour, certainly kept them in the match. I thought GT 8 was best on ground, seemed motivational and always in the ruck. Terrace got dominated at scrumtime, getting turned over once or twice. Line-outs seemed to go Terrace's way, turned over a few and GT #2 outplayed his opposition. Churchie #9 (Eason) started half a dozen fights, but had poor delivery to his number 10 on a few occasions and as a result made the 10 look substandard. Churchie backline was a level above GT but all in all a relatively close game.

I had a preconceived idea about GT and their determination was really quite impressive, I will be suprised if they don't win a game this season. Birgin at 7 was a star, went off for bloodbin but still was one of the better players on the field. Churchie #7 (Mitchell) and #6 (MacMillan) played strong but the standout of the forward pack for me was #8 Oppenheimer, very strong defender, knocked a few kids backwards and always seemed to be going forward with the ball. Also was the first one into the fights that Eason started, shows a bit of mongrel.

Overall, Churchie will be a little disappointed with the result, GT were ecstatic about scoring a try but the referee did keep them in the game for most of the match.

TSS d BGS, I hear... Where are you now fourgreatkids?

H

hurge

TSS not only beat BGS, but flogged em, 38-9, or there abouts. Paraka at inside was amazing! The kicking game of Davies, was diffused well by the TSS back three, who counter attacked very well. I'd say within the forawrds it was rather even, but for the first time in 2011 the TSS backs played with confidence and produced some great tries.
Wouldn't be too surprised in paraka stays at 12.

L

leftside

ACGS 28 - GT 10
Standouts for ACGS: 4 (Crow), 7(Mitchell) ,8 (Oppenheimer),14 (Ioane)
Standouts for GT: 2 (Mellor) ,7 (Birgin) ,8 (Ayala)

Pretty close game, GT definately lifted and have the best fan base i've seen in schoolboys rugby. Was close up until half time, unfortunately refs whistle was constant and often in GT's favour, certainly kept them in the match. I thought GT 8 was best on ground, seemed motivational and always in the ruck. Terrace got dominated at scrumtime, getting turned over once or twice. Line-outs seemed to go Terrace's way, turned over a few and GT #2 outplayed his opposition. Churchie #9 (Eason) started half a dozen fights, but had poor delivery to his number 10 on a few occasions and as a result made the 10 look substandard. Churchie backline was a level above GT but all in all a relatively close game.

I had a preconceived idea about GT and their determination was really quite impressive, I will be suprised if they don't win a game this season. Birgin at 7 was a star, went off for bloodbin but still was one of the better players on the field. Churchie #7 (Mitchell) and #6 (MacMillan) played strong but the standout of the forward pack for me was #8 Oppenheimer, very strong defender, knocked a few kids backwards and always seemed to be going forward with the ball. Also was the first one into the fights that Eason started, shows a bit of mongrel.

Overall, Churchie will be a little disappointed with the result, GT were ecstatic about scoring a try but the referee did keep them in the game for most of the match.

TSS d BGS, I hear... Where are you now fourgreatkids?

Just heard that Birgan is playing with a slight fracture in his hip from the Nudgee game a few weeks back too, lovely to hear Terrace finally playing well

Status
Not open for further replies.