• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havealook

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm hearing Churchie over Nudgee in an upset 23-20 or something like that. Also State High 49 BBC 28 although it was a bit hairy for a while then BSHS kicked clear.

R

rockfish

IGS annihilated Terrace 77-8, IGS would have scored 90 if their goalkicking was better. IGS very dominant in the forwards, and the backs finished off. Have also heard Churchie over Nudgee in a thriller, BGS defeated TGS up the mountain, and BSHS giving up a few points to BBC but coming away with a comfortabe win.

A

alc14

ipswich smacked terrace , ipswich forwards very strong even though there big poly boys were missing with injuries , backs werent used as much but when they were they scored.
second half very poor for terrace couldnt even score when igs brought there whole bench on. look out for ippy with quick ball every contest

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
I watched the BBC firsts train on thursday arvo and Tom Barker is obviously a very attacking minded coach... Team that played State High had Taur and Jaffe on the bench, perhaps not suited to his style? Whoever predicted State by 20 got it perfect. If the side can improve it's defense then it has the capability to win a couple of games. But that could be hard considering they were all fast and tiny...

Ipswich looking the goods, 77 - 8 is a bit ridiculous, I'm guessing Terrace is full of young guns and so that can only be good for their experience..

Can't really comment on Englands upset victory over the vatican but perhaps Mr. Jones' approach is working?

This is going to be a cracker of a year!

Silverback

Bob McCowan (2)
Downlands gave TSS a fright yesterday. 10 all at half time. Two quick tries in the 2nd half got TSS out of trouble but Downlands scored in the second half and finished up 34 - 17.

Silverback

Bob McCowan (2)
Guys
I think you will find that TSS had their best available team up against Downlands yesterday at home.
It was a great match played in good spirit and an important hit out before Nudgee.
It would be a big mistake for any GPS teams to rest players against the 2011 Downlands side.

H

hatman

Include Jack Cornelson, he 's tearing up the comp at lock for BGS, takes on from his dad, rep honors are lining up if form continues.
Wasn't Jack Cornelson in the 16As at TSS last year? Why the move to BGS? A better OP?

R

redsfan123

what is everyones thoughts on terrace, a few good players have come through, birgan, ayala, crookes, hanley, stewart and given qld u15 last year

You've got to put it this way, out of those players who would make the first xv at any of the other schools? Birgan, ayala and hanley would make the firsts at most of the other gps schools. Compared to last years GT team that number is certaintly down. The problem with GT at the moment IMO is they are playing two of their best players out of position (birgan in centres instead of flanker and hanley on the wing instead of fullback/centre). Ofcourse this wouldn't fix the large number of missed tackles and the fact that bar one or two , their forwards seemed nonexistent in yesterday's hitout

J

jddd

i know its very early days but if someone had to pick a GPS XV at this stage what would they pick?

A

alc14

ipswichs centres can only get stronger with matthew gordon returning to the team after being rested againest terrace.

C

crazy horse

Yep NC beaten by Churchie with a try virtually on the bell. NC backs well down on handling skills. Lots of knock-ons. NC wingers look speedy but hardly used. Can't recall either of them actually getting the ball from a back line move. NC coaching staff appear to have a dodgy game plan to keep the ball in the inside backs rather than entertaining back line rugby. Maybe because the NC outside backs are young and raw - not sure but gee whiz, a risky plan for cut throat GPS footy- no room for passengers on a First XV rugby field, I'm afraid. This sheltered workshop approach to their backs will see them lingering near the bottom of the ladder come late July.

Churchie shone in patches but BSHS look the pick. Were beaten in a trial v NC but had two internationals on the side line being rested!

NC goes into their next game v TSS (away) with a heavy injury cloud. They lost their No 13 before half time yesterday and their regular No 10 didn't play and no guarantee he will next week. Also a lot of bruised and battered bodies in the NC sheds post-match. If NC can't field their best XV, expect TSS to romp home.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Churchie only won 3 games all day against Nudgee - 1sts, 16A's & 14A's.
And plenty of spankings given out all day.
Still they'd probably swap the lot for a win in 1's.
A very good win for the health of the competition. More open than its been for a few years.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Very impressed by Churchie on the weekend in upsetting nudgee. Ipswich suprise contenders or maybe a year or two too early to consider them up with the top 4?. Any tips on Qld schoolboys team?

slydare

Frank Nicholson (4)
Agreed - thought NC were lucky to be so close given the amount of handling errors... they made it nearly impossible for themselves. Scrappy game in general but Churchie showed some really good attitude, particularly in the pack. Line-outs were messy on both sides.

I would add the NC backline in general seemed a bit stilted with no one really running onto the ball. Did anyone else notice quite a bit of "catch-stop-pass"? It would makes more sense now that I know they're without their regular 10. They'll need to improve across the park or its going to be a long season.

H

hatman

Agreed - thought NC were lucky to be so close given the amount of handling errors... they made it nearly impossible for themselves. Scrappy game in general but Churchie showed some really good attitude, particularly in the pack. Line-outs were messy on both sides.

I would add the NC backline in general seemed a bit stilted with no one really running onto the ball. Did anyone else notice quite a bit of "catch-stop-pass"? It would makes more sense now that I know they're without their regular 10. They'll need to improve across the park or its going to be a long season.
NC weren't unlucky, they made too many mistakes, were outplayed in the forwards & the outside backs weren't used - they were spectators. Without a gameplan NC will be 2-0 after 2 rounds.
IGS sound the real deal particularly in the forwards although GT forwards through the towel in midway through the 2nd half. Changes imminent.

C

czar01

IGS annihilated Terrace 77-8, IGS would have scored 90 if their goalkicking was better. IGS very dominant in the forwards, and the backs finished off.

And to think Terrace were leading 5-0 after first 5 minutes !LOL! 29-8 at the half. 77-8 was in the end flattering as the Terrace forwards lost almost every set play of the second half, they tired and Ippy went ballistic.

It was a rout but they happen (Bulls-Reds come to mind not too many seasons past). I am not sure where the Terrace lads go from here. They are low on size and speed, low in preparation due loss of fields and facilities, low on depth, ;low on experience. This year will be a test of character and I wish them well. They will need to play as a team for the whole 70 minutes and not leave it to the 3-4 hard heads they have.

As for Ippy, they have the full gamut. Size, speed, vision and discipline. Certainly contenders for the premiership.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think next weekends fixtures will determine the major contenders. Round 1 was interesting but round 2 looks far more competitive.
Nudgee v TSS. Do or die match for Nudgee, many injuries after last weeks game and come up against a rested tss so i think they will struggle to be competitive. TSS will be out to prove a point and mentally nudgee will be down after losing at home. TSS by 10
Churchie v BBC. This will be interesting. I dont see BBC causing an upset like they did in this fixture last year, if its a battle in the forwards BBC may be able to hold churchie back but i dont see them doing it for the whole 70. Nonetheless, churchie to run away with it. Churchie by 15
State High v Ippy. The highlight of the round in my eyes.. Both have alot to lose and will be eagerly anticipating this one. Will show if ippy's recruiting has paid off and this will be their toughest test. State high werent impressive in the first round so they will need to step it up and i can see them winning this game in the breakdowns. BSHS by 7, with that in mind depends on where ippy is at mentally and if concede a few early points i can see this game being a walk over.
Any ideas about other game? i picked the main ones and competition determining matches, i dont see terrace, bgs or tgs being really in the hunt..

A

alc14

the thing to note about ipswich this year compared to other is , for once they are playing as a team and not individuals and the players believe they can win. another thing is the depth they have in the squad this year with a very big and fast 2nd XV and very good year 11 backs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.