• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Tough one Swarley. I think Eason will have first choice and the other two will depend on what the coaches want. It may change depending on opposition but from what I have seen their best combination is 9 Quigley, 10 Eason, 12 McClanahan. Watson may have to settle for a bench spot like last year when he was behind Eason and Jardine. I would have liked to have seen him trialled at 15, unfortunately it didn't happen.

When Eason went to 9 and Watson to 10 for the TSS trial Churchie really struggled, I believe it was the same combination against GT on the weekend. TBH they just don't look like scoring points. Eason just doesn't clear the ball quickly enough from 9 and often his passes aren't up to scratch for various reasons. They will lose a lot with Watson on the bench though, his goal kicking is pin point but I believe Vanuseva is the go-to man at the moment anyway. Probably a coaches ploy to take some pressure off Eason.

This is the backline we will probably see starting against the big teams (alternative positions) :
9. Quigley
10. Eason (9)
11. Ioane (13,14)
12. McClanahan (10,15)
13. Vanuseva
14. Schafer (12, 13)
15. Hyne

21. Watson (10)
22. Poplawski (12,13,15)

Others with 1st XV experience - West (11,14) , Clarke (11,14), Halligan (15)

Had they kept Dean Van Heteran from last year things would be a little less complicated haha.

C

Casey95

Light, you are so correct in terms of people's reactions to these trials... particularly terrace. And while TGS shouldn't be claiming a premiership, they do have 11 under 16's with first XV experience, while their team wasn't too much better than Terrace last year, that number of kids with that much experience is going to count for something - particularly in the first few games of the season. While Churchie should get everything together come the season, round 1 against TGS does pose a huge threat and could derail their entire premiership campaign because as this years competition appears to be shaping up, I would bet my house that the premiership team is going to have to go through undefeated.

C

Casey95

Also, I still think the best option at 15 is Watson, but you lose nothing in terms of goal kicking with Hyne - although it hasn't been seen yet as Watson has had the job. Also, West would have to have the job at 14 if time permits with his return from injury.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Light, if you haven't noticed, the score between Terrace and Churchie from three days ago was 5-0, a questionable result at best considering they only scored with Terrace down to 14 men. Last year's results really can't be taken into that much consideration. At the moment I'd definitely consider Toowoomba's chances against Churchie, they seem to be a lot of hype and not much substance.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
i think you guys have forgotten that Quigly broke his collarbone against Nudgee and will probably miss most if not all of the season

C

churr

Light, if you haven't noticed, the score between Terrace and Churchie from three days ago was 5-0, a questionable result at best considering they only scored with Terrace down to 14 men. Last year's results really can't be taken into that much consideration. At the moment I'd definitely consider Toowoomba's chances against Churchie, they seem to be a lot of hype and not much substance.

TGS did lose their game to TSS yesterday, I seriously believe that them earning 9 selections in the GPS teams is questioable

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
i read somewhere on this post that something like 4 of the 9 coaches for GPS 1,2,3 are from TGS is this true?

C

churr

i read somewhere on this post that something like 4 of the 9 coaches for GPS 1,2,3 are from TGS is this true?

I believe it is which is why i am thinking that churchie isnt the only overatted team at this point in time, TGS havent done much but yet are some how being talked about premiership contenders

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
my new standings for the year, taking into account the weekends games too whatever you guys think
1. NC
2. ACGS
3. TSS
4. BGS
5. GT
6. BBC
7. IGS
8. TGS
9. BSHS

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Also, I still think the best option at 15 is Watson, but you lose nothing in terms of goal kicking with Hyne - although it hasn't been seen yet as Watson has had the job. Also, West would have to have the job at 14 if time permits with his return from injury.

I think Vanuseva is #1 choice for goal kicking but his performance at Suncorp was well below par in that aspect. Eason is also not half bad and early last year he was taking the conversions until Watson got a starting gig. Yeah, you would have to think so, we could see Schafer go to 12, McClanahan to 15 and West to the wing. That would be the strongest back-line but it would also be untested.

(A) Light, if you haven't noticed, the score between Terrace and Churchie from three days ago was 5-0.(B) Last year's results really can't be taken into that much consideration. At the moment I'd definitely consider Toowoomba's chances against Churchie, they seem to be a lot of hype and not much substance.

(A) Yes, I noticed - What is your point. They beat TSS 5-0 too with a try in the final minute. Does that make it any less of a win? Need I remind you that neither TSS or GT scored a point against Churchie...IMO that reflects badly on those two schools, particularly as Churchie played second string teams against both.
(B) Toowoomba lost to TSS, TSS lost to Churchie. Sabanator, last years results are all we CAN go by. So far Churchie has not played their hand, the fact that TGS was nowhere near Churchie in either 1st XV or 16A would suggest that there is a difference between the schools. I rate TGS this year but they will really need to play out of their skins to beat Churchie and have an unbelievable season to be premiers, its not going to happen.

Casey95 does raise a good point that the majority of TGS' top players were playing 1st XV and I think this may be where you are coming from. They weren't the only team in that boat. Churchie 16A was without Georgiou, MacMillan, Gunn, Oppenheimer, Eason, Watson, Ioane, Schafer and West for a lot of games too, not to say some of these boys didn't play 16A's (4 didn't) but they were called up for first duties at least twice during the season, each.

i think you guys have forgotten that Quigly broke his collarbone against Nudgee and will probably miss most if not all of the season

Then why did he trial for GPS last weekend and make GPS 2. Mate, you are a troll. Your prediction of GT at 5th demonstrates this. They didn't even score a try against a second string Churchie outfit on the weekend, how do you think they will beat State High, Toowoomba, Ippy and BBC.

D

Dort Muff

Light if that's a second string back line I wouldn't want to see their starters. It consisted of everyone besides Nigel and west. Get your facts right.

C

Casey95

we could see Schafer go to 12, McClanahan to 15 and West to the wing. That would be the strongest back-line but it would also be untested

The backline I was personally expecting to see from Churchie this year, and it still hasn't been tried which is disappointing but I still have hope is:
9. Quigley
10. Eason
11. Schafer
12. Tanuvasa
13. Ioane
14. West
15. Watson
This would give them such a potent attack all-round and hard hitting defence in the centres. You believe this is the GPS best halves combination, as do I, I think this would rival as the best centre pair and the back three would be amongst the best as well. Combine that with the best backrow in the comp with MacMillan, Oppenheimer and Gunn and a competitive tight 5 with georgiou, sheppard, leamon, warriner and white and you have yourself the team that has been dubbed 'premiership favourites'. The depth thats been so talked up also comes into play with quality players like hyne, poplawski, clarke, McClanaghan, Godfrey and Machin missing out on the team and having to settle for a spot on the bench.

I still dont see how people are not rating BBC however, their team looks the best it has in a very, very long time.

Light if that's a second string back line I wouldn't want to see their starters. It consisted of everyone besides Nigel and west. Get your facts right
this is just incorrect, it was missing West, Quigley, Tanuvasa and potentially hyne, while Eason was playing 9 rather than 10.

Reactions: BGA

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Light if that's a second string back line I wouldn't want to see their starters. It consisted of everyone besides Nigel and west. Get your facts right.

I think Casey95 answered that one for me mate. Eason was playing out of position and Nigel, Quigley, Hyne and West weren't playing.

Light, just out of interest, if you could play for one GPS school in rugby, who would it be?

Nudgee. But then again I wouldn't have minded being waterboy for the State High team of '09.

Casey95- That team would probably sparkle but I am not convinced with Ioane at 13. He played there early last year and I can't remember against whom but he got caught out a few times and it was bloody obvious. Schafer is a much better 13 IMO and if Nigel could play 12 I'd have Schafer at 13 or the other way around, wouldn't make too much of a difference. I think McClanahan will get the 12 jersey though based on his performances so far, he also offers relief for Easons kicking and can step in and play 10 if Eason takes on the line or is out of the back line for whatever reason.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
I think Vanuseva is #1 choice for goal kicking but his performance at Suncorp was well below par in that aspect. Eason is also not half bad and early last year he was taking the conversions until Watson got a starting gig. Yeah, you would have to think so, we could see Schafer go to 12, McClanahan to 15 and West to the wing. That would be the strongest back-line but it would also be untested.

(A) Yes, I noticed - What is your point. They beat TSS 5-0 too with a try in the final minute. Does that make it any less of a win? Need I remind you that neither TSS or GT scored a point against Churchie.IMO that reflects badly on those two schools, particularly as Churchie played second string teams against both.
(B) Toowoomba lost to TSS, TSS lost to Churchie. Sabanator, last years results are all we CAN go by. So far Churchie has not played their hand, the fact that TGS was nowhere near Churchie in either 1st XV or 16A would suggest that there is a difference between the schools. I rate TGS this year but they will really need to play out of their skins to beat Churchie and have an unbelievable season to be premiers, its not going to happen.

Casey95 does raise a good point that the majority of TGS' top players were playing 1st XV and I think this may be where you are coming from. They weren't the only team in that boat. Churchie 16A was without Georgiou, MacMillan, Gunn, Oppenheimer, Eason, Watson, Ioane, Schafer and West for a lot of games too, not to say some of these boys didn't play 16A's (4 didn't) but they were called up for first duties at least twice during the season, each.

Then why did he trial for GPS last weekend and make GPS 2. Mate, you are a troll. Your prediction of GT at 5th demonstrates this. They didn't even score a try against a second string Churchie outfit on the weekend, how do you think they will beat State High, Toowoomba, Ippy and BBC.

well then i am still baffled as to why he didn't play against terrace in the firsts or seconds?
I still stand by my prediction and from the all round solid players terrace does have i could see them coming 5th
and i didn't want to dwell on this point as i said in a previous post but james dalgleish did score a try against churchie which was disallowed so that takes away your point about terrace not being able to score against churchie.
second string i highly doubt that. All forwards were there except Georgiou and backs they were missing Nigel. And by slotting Nigel in you would move schafer out to wing or putting west in the team over him would weaken the side, Terrace had injuries too may not have been as key players like nigel but I'm sure that Ioane should have definitely scored over harry heath but failed too. Hyne and Poplawski are equally good players, hyne wouldn't have changed much.

C

Casey95

well then i am still baffled as to why he didn't play against terrace in the firsts or seconds?
I still stand by my prediction and from the all round solid players terrace does have i could see them coming 5th
and i didn't want to dwell on this point as i said in a previous post but james dalgleish did score a try against churchie which was disallowed so that takes away your point about terrace not being able to score against churchie.
second string i highly doubt that. All forwards were there except Georgiou and backs they were missing Nigel. And by slotting Nigel in you would move schafer out to wing or putting west in the team over him would weaken the side, Terrace had injuries too may not have been as key players like nigel but I'm sure that Ioane should have definitely scored over harry heath but failed too. Hyne and Poplawski are equally good players, hyne wouldn't have changed much

It was disallowed for a reason mate, and that's because it wasn't a legitimate try. If you want to play stupid games like that, Ioane was away down the wing in the first half and was called back for one of 1000 'forward passes' (for both teams to be fair) and Schafer was straight through the middle, only the fullback (given - i think?) to beat with unmarked men either side of him, to again be called a forward pass. Sheppard was also missing from the pack, forcing Gunn into second row (another obvious starter from the team playing out of position) which meant that there was a new 6. and how does putting West, a game-breaking QLD rep winger into your side, weaken it in any way?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This is enough, who cares. It was a trial, the result was 5-0 and there are no ifs or buts about it. It is an encouraging result for Terrace but you are kidding yourself if you think that it was Churchie best performance, or anywhere near it. I have posted numerous times about Eason at 9 and I will stand by my point that there is a HUGE difference to Churchie's back line when he plays 10. If they lose him it is not the end of the world, Watson is very capable and has 1st XV experience. He did play in nearly half Churchie's 1st XV matches last year as a starting 10.

There is nothing to gain from these trials in terms of where the teams will finish. You can argue all you want about the result but this Churchie v Terrace rivalry is really getting stupid. Lets wait till the season kicks off before we pass judgement on any team, I would be surprised by any school who reveals their hand during the trial process.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
It was disallowed for a reason mate, and that's because it wasn't a legitimate try. If you want to play stupid games like that, Ioane was away down the wing in the first half and was called back for one of 1000 'forward passes' (for both teams to be fair) and Schafer was straight through the middle, only the fullback (given - i think?) to beat with unmarked men either side of him, to again be called a forward pass. Sheppard was also missing from the pack, forcing Gunn into second row (another obvious starter from the team playing out of position) which meant that there was a new 6. and how does putting West, a game-breaking QLD rep winger into your side, weaken it in any way?

who do you drop west or move shafer to Wing IMO the strongest side would have shafer in it

C

Casey95

Ideally you'd find a way for both, but if it's just between the two for a wing spot, IMO it's West because he has the extra speed and ability to just make something happen. Also if Schafer was favoured he would have been nominated for the GPS trials and not West before his injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.