• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
Out of curiosity - why is this match at Suncorp? it can't be a curtain raiser for either the Reds (playing up the coast on Friday) or Wallabies (playing in Melbourne) - wouldn't they play it at either Miskin Oval or Tennyson?

definitely not at suncorp i think BBC are hosting but don't hold me to that

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
Hi everyone, it's been interesting to scan through your opinions within this thread thus far, and I am greatly looking forward to a season with a rejuvenated BBC and GT outfit, as well as the continued rise of BGS. Clearly however, Nudgee and Churchie are the outstanding teams.

Although, I am not here to pump up other schools and reafiirm what everyone is already aware of, but rather to talk about TSS and the team for this year. Firstly I'd like to acknowledge the potential for bias in this post, but after reading some of the things said about Grammar and Terrace, I feel inclined to express my opinion.

The team barring injuries (an inevitable occurrence, given the luck of the last couple of years) could look something like this.

1. Ben Tarr
2. Jake Lyon
3. Sam Clifton
4. David Findlay-Hennaway
5. Luke Papworth
6. Cato Perrin
7. Joel Brown
8. Evander Guttenbiel
9. Isaac Fines/Ed Gibson
10. Mitch Third
11. Isaac Nathan
12. Ed Gibson/Adam Gauder
13. Vince Cooney
14. Nili Fielea
15. Brock Anderson/Adam Gauder

Now while this may not be a team that can necessarily challenge a full-strength Churchie team or a Nudgee at Ross, I beg to differ against the people who believe that TSS is in for a 6-8th place finish. With a fairly physical/mobile tight five, in addition to a highly skilled backrow makes for a decent pack. The backline has undeniable class, particularly out wide, but are arguably yet to hit their straps, which is understandable this early I suppose. Most of the aforementioned players have rep experience, but in such a strong competition, who knows how things will go.

With as little bias as possible this is how I see it:

1. Churchie
2. Nudgee (only because I think they have the best schoolboy in the country)
3. BBC
4. TSS
5. BGS/TGS
7. IGS
8. GT
9. BSHS

Let the refuting and anger commence.

C

churr

Hi everyone, it's been interesting to scan through your opinions within this thread thus far, and I am greatly looking forward to a season with a rejuvenated BBC and GT outfit, as well as the continued rise of BGS. Clearly however, Nudgee and Churchie are the outstanding teams.

Although, I am not here to pump up other schools and reafiirm what everyone is already aware of, but rather to talk about TSS and the team for this year. Firstly I'd like to acknowledge the potential for bias in this post, but after reading some of the things said about Grammar and Terrace, I feel inclined to express my opinion.

The team barring injuries (an inevitable occurrence, given the luck of the last couple of years) could look something like this.

1. Ben Tarr
2. Jake Lyon
3. Sam Clifton
5. Luke Papworth
6. Cato Perrin
7. Joel Brown
8. Evander Guttenbiel
9. Isaac Fines/Ed Gibson
10. Mitch Third
11. Isaac Nathan
13. Vince Cooney
14. Nili Fielea

Now while this may not be a team that can necessarily challenge a full-strength Churchie team or a Nudgee at Ross, I beg to differ against the people who believe that TSS is in for a 6-8th place finish. With a fairly physical/mobile tight five, in addition to a highly skilled backrow makes for a decent pack. The backline has undeniable class, particularly out wide, but are arguably yet to hit their straps, which is understandable this early I suppose. Most of the aforementioned players have rep experience, but in such a strong competition, who knows how things will go.

1. Churchie
3. BBC
4. TSS
5. BGS/TGS
7. IGS
8. GT
9. BSHS

As a student at TSS i think you will find Fielea at 12 with Brock Anderson at 14 and Gauder at 15 but other than that you have got the team spor on from my point of view

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
al

1. Ben Tarr
2. Jake Lyon
3. Sam Clifton
5. Luke Papworth
6. Cato Perrin
7. Joel Brown
8. Evander Guttenbiel
9. Isaac Fines/Ed Gibson
10. Mitch Third
11. Isaac Nathan
13. Vince Cooney
14. Nili Fielea

1. Churchie
3. BBC
4. TSS
5. BGS/TGS
7. IGS
8. GT
9. BSHS

do not agree with some of your views but this post isn't going to focus on them
I do however agree completely with your statements about TSS they are a great side with some very highly talented players. their game against churchie should have been a draw as the last try came from a churchie knock on. in TSS' other trial game last Saturday against TGS I was quite surprised to hear them get up having TGS having so many rep players but I think this may be because of the coaching staff. but looking forward to seeing some good rugby from the sun-soaked southport boys

C

Coastboy

1. Ben Tarr
2. Jake Lyon
3. Sam Clifton
5. Luke Papworth
6. Cato Perrin
7. Joel Brown
8. Evander Guttenbiel
9. Isaac Fines/Ed Gibson
10. Mitch Third
11. Isaac Nathan
13. Vince Cooney
14. Nili Fielea

1. Churchie
3. BBC
4. TSS
5. BGS/TGS
7. IGS
8. GT
9. BSHS

As far as the forward pack goes on the money however in the backs the competiton for 9 is between Harry McCallum and Isaac Fines
Nili Fielea is most likely to end up at 12 after a good game there at suncorp and in other trials
On the wings at the moment it looks like Isaac Nathan and Adam Gauder with Benji Neal at 15 however the back three could be reshulfed amongst those three

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Welcome GlobeTrotter, excellent first post mate.
All we look for around is here is good justification and just a little bit of knowledge, you seem to have both in spades so please stick around and keep us informed as to whats going on down in Southport. We don't often get the luxury of having TSS posters on these forums and last year was particularly quiet in regard to TSS news.

TSS is a real surprise packet for mine. Tarr and Clifton are both excellent in the scrum, from what I saw at Suncorp they were also mobile and powerful in the collision and carried their weight around the field. I can confidently say they won the scrum encounter against both NC and ACGS, pretty comfortably too. The showdown against the Ipswich props will be something to behold. It could also be the area in which they really dominate the rest of the competition, any scrum within kicking range could result in points. In the locks, Findlay-Hennaway has proven himself to be a standout with his GPS I selection but I really rate Papworth, IMO it could be the strongest lock pairing in the competition, they seriously have the potential to win alot of ball in the air. Rather unknown backrow but that could prove to be a good thing as they might be able to jump a few unexpecting oppositions. They don't have the strike power that Churchie, BBC or Grammar have but they will be competitive, particularly #8 Guttenbiel, if it was infact him I recall seeing at Suncorp.

You summed up the back-line pretty well. There's plenty of points in that team and I think any team that underestimates Third could be in real trouble. He's been around a while now and his distribution skills are premiership quality, with Fielea, Gauder and Cooney (IMO their best against ACGS) outside him they won't struggle to score points. My question mark is over their depth in particular, the tight 5 is irreplaceable and any injuries there could really derail them badly.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
As a student at TSS i think you will find Fielea at 12 with Brock Anderson at 14 and Gauder at 15 but other than that you have got the team spor on from my point of view
Sorry churr, well that makes for a tantalising centre combination who will pit themselves well against the midfields of Nudgee, Churchie, BBC and BGS (if aonio - sorry for mispelling - is in fact playing there).

al

do not agree with some of your views but this post isn't going to focus on them
I do however agree completely with your statements about TSS they are a great side with some very highly talented players. their game against churchie should have been a draw as the last try came from a churchie knock on. in TSS' other trial game last Saturday against TGS I was quite surprised to hear them get up having TGS having so many rep players but I think this may be because of the coaching staff. but looking forward to seeing some good rugby from the sun-soaked southport boys
Fair enough. Don't get me wrong, I think Terrace could potentially finish higher than that. In such a tough competition, it is difficult to predict. Although it is undoubtedly better for the GPS, if they aren't copping heavy defeats on a weekly basis.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
BBC are hosting it.
The game's at Tennyson at 11.00.
Also Light, Churchie are not playing at home. They are at Southport - 2pm kickoff.
Interstingly the Toowoomba boys are taking on a local club side on Saturday. (Biggs Field 1.30 for those curious).
Ippy hosting BGS at 1.00 to complete the set.
See you all at the games.

PS Fielea can run like a bull but not pass & will only play wing.

T

Tarabs

Does anyone know the dates of the schoolboy state championships ? /national championships ?

T

Tarabs

This weekend shall be interesting on a couple of fronts.

IGS vs. BGS - Matchups all over the park for this encounter. I suggest this game to start close and open up. Fairly even in the tight five and the centres, as a matter of fact fairly even teams all over on paper. But it appears that the boys from bgs are yet to gel as a group. Although I can see this result going either way, I think that bgs are yet to hit their stride (we hope). Ipswich by 14.

Churchie vs. Southport. I think acgs will fail to reach there hype again this weekend. While I see them improving as the season goes on, I don't think they ever will reach this hype. Apparently a class above the rest, these churchie boys are struggling to prove their worth thus far. For all the talent they field, ACGS are yet to produce a result which reflects their ability. From a TSS perspective, BASED ON CURRENT FORM I'd say the TSS forwards have the wood on churchie, esp. at set piece. and with the inside backs churchie are currently playing, i'd say TSS have an advantage here esp. in attack as i see the competition between the inside centres as strongly favouring TSS. Whilst I'm happy to admit that Churchie are very good with ball in hand out wide, I see one of churchie's problems so far in actually getting the ball in their hands. TSS by 8.
Gregory Terrace vs. BBC. Starting with the set piece, I'd tip BBC to win the scrums and GT to win the line outs. Evidently, the BBC strength upfront lies in their back row, some big fast ball runners there. But judging by last weekend's scoreline, One can assume a much more clinical and greatly improved defensive effort from GT in comparison to previous years. With that in mind, I believe that the forwards will basically neutralise each other and set a foundation for the spectacle of this game: The back line. Various sources tell me that the set play moves from the GT backline (containing at most 2 exceptional players) provided overlaps on numerous occasions on the weekend, only to be let down by what seemed to be a lack of attacking flare on the wing, this may be consoled by the 0-0 game score in the back line, esp. considering churchie's apparent flare. In stark contrast, BBC have plenty of attacking flare outwide, yet there defence against ipswich on the weekend leaves much room for improvement. I think GT may be nearing their peak, and since BBC don't appear to be nearing theirs just yet, I see this being a win for the home team. GT by 4.

any word on what nudgee or state high are doing this weekend ? i understand toowoomba are competing in a local match.

idaknow

Herbert Moran (7)
I really am bemused about the overall hype over GT's supposed "win" over churchie last weekend. Yes, needless to say it is a promising result for the future of terrace rugby over the premiership favourites however, it is important to realize that they DID loose 5-0. Without doubt the addition of number 8 Daniel sitanelie (i think thats how you spell it) and prop Robert green will be a big boost (yes they have 2 rugby scholarships), they really lack the spark that they need in the backline to get them over the line in tough games like on the weekend, especially out wide.
In regards to the BBC v GT game this upcoming weekend i predict a BBC victory simply because of the extremely fast backline that they posess. Of cause, this all depends on how they defend but i believe they will bounce back from last weeks performance. In my opinion, this is BBC's strongest looking team that they've had in a very long time and I would not be suprised if they were to be in the top 3.

J

John Coffee

Nudgee were made to look better by an understrength inexperienced and experimental BSHS side. NC displayed some class in that victory. Good to see. And I'm not a NC fan. I'm a rugby fan.

F

funkman3838

I really am bemused about the overall hype over GT's supposed "win" over churchie last weekend. Yes, needless to say it is a promising result for the future of terrace rugby over the premiership favourites however, it is important to realize that they DID loose 5-0. Without doubt the addition of number 8 Daniel sitanelie (i think thats how you spell it) and prop Robert green will be a big boost (yes they have 2 rugby scholarships), they really lack the spark that they need in the backline to get them over the line in tough games like on the weekend, especially out wide.
1. Havent yet recalled it being described as a win, and most posts have been more so pointing out that churchie should have won with ease, not the pathetic 5 point win
2. Our second 'import' as such played 10 minutes. Dat der boost brah
3. Spark? Half the back line is in their second year of firsts rugby, that has to be worth something

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
1. Havent yet recalled it being described as a win, and most posts have been more so pointing out that churchie should have won with ease, not the pathetic 5 point win
2. Our second 'import' as such played 10 minutes. Dat der boost brah
3. Spark? Half the back line is in their second year of firsts rugby, that has to be worth something

I would take a pathetic 5 point win over a pathetic 5 point loss.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
TGS are playing a Sunnybank U18 team this weekend. The Sunnybank team will be made up of Colts and U17 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.