• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
Not the run away score expected considering Downlands 1st XV not at full strength either with playmaker Mack Mason out with injury and Isiah Tittor out. Some other scores from Nudgee v's Downlands 13 A's Downlands defeated Nudgee 35 - 7, 14 B's Downlands defeated Nudgee 12 - 10, 16 A's Downlands defeated Nudgee 9 - 7. It will be interesting to see how "scholarships" affect these results afew years down the track.

that is very impressive day from downlands but I think you find that all borders from nudgee have gone home. GT played Nudgee last year in the same position first saturday after school finished and the 16A from terrace who only won 2 games overall only lost to Nudgee by 1 point coming from an intercept try in the last few minutes.

T

Tarabs

Also I might add that after the recent terrace sporting revue, for the past two weeks I heard nearly every a and b team won.

As far as A teams go (and 2nd XV's) GT have lost 2 games. The 1st XV and 15A's, both against ACGS.

T

Tarabs

by scholarships i'm sure you mean the countless equity scholarships they offer at nudgee college, unlike many gps schools like GT etc, who have a few token ones.

A nudgee kid saying that NC don't give out sporting scholarships and gregory terrace do. Rich.

Merely bumping kids up a waiting list whilst simultaneously forfeiting the smallest portions of academic potential is not a scholarship.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Greene to 10, Placid to 15 ?

That would be my choice, then again Placid has already stated that he will be pursuing a career in league once he finishes school and QLD selectors tend to avoid handing out jerseys to league players particularly while there are so many other options around.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
Greene to 10, Placid to 15 ?
Is Greene the young BGS fly-half that kicks goals from almost anywhere within 50m? If so, I recall him playing two years ago at TSS, almost stealing the win purely through his boot. If he is indeed still at school, and was in grade 10 when I last watched him, I understand why BGS is still highly rated. How has he progressed physically, and what is his game like now?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Is Greene the young BGS fly-half that kicks goals from almost anywhere within 50m? If so, I recall him playing two years ago at TSS, almost stealing the win purely through his boot. If he is indeed still at school, and was in grade 10 when I last watched him, I understand why BGS is still highly rated. How has he progressed physically, and what is his game like now?

He would have been grade 11, he repeated year 12 this year. Still very small for a 10, too small IMO.

L

LightDarkBlue

Dalgeish 10, Greene 15 IMO

Completely agree with this, the second round of trials out at BGS displayed this vividly. I personally saw him play some terrific rugby and apparently post trials the coaches announced that he was 'player of the day'. This for me just demonstrates how biased and reputation based these trials are. With this being the case what is the point of having 'trials' if the teams are to be picked on reputation? Players that shall remained unnamed due to the risk of being banned don't deserve there spots in GPS or Chairman teams.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
You can't say players don't deserve their spots and then not name them, who are you referring to LightDarkBlue? You won't get banned if you can justify your reasoning.

I can't see any problems with the GPS I team or any real shock omissions. The Chairmans side is also very strong.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
as long as all the players that deserve to be there are playing in a team and have the unbiased chance to make the QLD teams it really doesn't matter if your in CSS or GPS 1

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
That would be my choice, then again Placid has already stated that he will be pursuing a career in league once he finishes school and QLD selectors tend to avoid handing out jerseys to league players particularly while there are so many other options around.

Jonah was originally a league player but apparently has had talks with and is set to sign a 7's contract for 2013 which would keep him in union, Green although having a fantastic boot is a liability in defence and wont cut it at that level, same as when they had to try and hide him last year at the champs. Dalgliesh 10 Placid 15 and Green on the pine for me.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
Jonah was originally a league player but apparently has had talks with and is set to sign a 7's contract for 2013 which would keep him in union, Green although having a fantastic boot is a liability in defence and wont cut it at that level, same as when they had to try and hide him last year at the champs. Dalgliesh 10 Placid 15 and Green on the pine for me.

if only you could just sub on and off Greene for kicks. actually I can't make a call on Placid I take back my previous statement on Greene at 15 as I have never seen Placid play not fair to make a call

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Goal kicking and speed only get you so far and they can protect him at 15, not so much at 10 when the whole opposition back row is gunning for his head. The reason Kurtley Beale was so successful as a schoolboy 10 was that he had incredible agility and creativity, when you put these together with good speed and a solid defence you have a very good schoolboy 10, he operated at a level that was freakish and compensated for his size. He certainly wasn't as small as Greene and that worked in his favour when he played at 10. I would be surprised if the selectors try moving Sam to number 10, it's either a choice of him or Placid for the 15 jersey, the 10 is open for contention but Eason looks to be the number 1 contender.

F

funkman3838

1. Jack Johanson IONA
2. Dimitri Loukaris BSHS
3. Daniel Anae NUDGEE
4. Harley Fox ST EDMUNDS
5. Yossi Vagg DOWNLANDS
6. Seb Georgiou ACGS
7. Jayden Rodwell NUDGEE
8. Tom Drew ST PATRICKS
9. Mikey Dyring BBC
10. Liam Dillon TOWNSVILLE GRAMMAR
11. Tim Balshaw ST PETERS LUTHERAN
12. Antoine Pereira BSHS
13. Sitivi Ualese KEDRON SHS
14. Luke Nerdal-Busell CENTENARY SHS
15. Jonah Placid TOOWOOMBA GRAMMAR

16. Sam Clifton TSS
17. Sam Richards ST LAURENCES
18. Isaac French GREGORY TERRACE
19. Vai Fitisemanu BSHS
20. Jack Hamilton ST PATRICKS
21. Adam Gauder TSS
22. James Hillsden VILLANOVA
good to see issac french in there, underrated player look forward to seeing how he goes

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
good to see issac french in there, underrated player look forward to seeing how he goes

Tough gig making a QLD team from the Chairman's XV bench but you have to buy a ticket to win the raffle. There's a few boys in there who are a real shot at QLD jerseys, French wouldn't be in my top 5 based on the quality of locks running around and those boys selected above him in the GPS teams but stranger things have happened. He does go to Terrace so I guess that does make him awesome.

A few players to watch there would be 4.Vagg, 6. Georgiou, 7. Rodwell, 9.Dyring, 15. Placid and 21. Gauder. Can't say I know much about the other boys, Clifton was very impressive against Nudgee in the trials and Anae has been struggling to get a 1st XV gig.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
you're kidding yourself you naive little rich kid. go live off your parents some more. terrace offer full sporting scholarships buddy, open your eyes.
Come on mate none of that, Terrace do not offer sporting scholarships.
Goal kicking and speed only get you so far and they can protect him at 15, not so much at 10 when the whole opposition back row is gunning for his head. The reason Kurtley Beale was so successful as a schoolboy 10 was that he had incredible agility and creativity, when you put these together with good speed and a solid defence you have a very good schoolboy 10, he operated at a level that was freakish and compensated for his size. He certainly wasn't as small as Greene and that worked in his favour when he played at 10. I would be surprised if the selectors try moving Sam to number 10, it's either a choice of him or Placid for the 15 jersey, the 10 is open for contention but Eason looks to be the number 1 contender.

My thoughts would be to have Eason at 10, Green at 15 and Dalgleash/Placid on the bench

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My thoughts would be to have Eason at 10, Green at 15 and Dalgleash/Placid on the bench

What does Greene offer that you don't get from both Placid and Eason. Eason can kick fairly well and Placid offers a lot more size and pace from the back. I am not saying you are wrong but I can't see both Greene and Placid making QLD 1, they are both very different players and one will have to get cut.

I have a feeling it will be Placid and it won't have anything to do with talent or ability, he has shown loyalty to league in the past and selectors will do all in their power to keep him from getting too high up the schoolboy rep chain. Performance is always key though, IGS boy Tuatala Tasi showed that a bit of mungrel and skill goes a long way last year when despite being signed to a league contract he made Aus Schoolboys after being relatively unknown. Form will have a lot to do with it, let's wait to thursday before we rate where Placid is at, a few blinding performances could really sow that position up for him. A lot will be resting on Greene's accurate kicking, if that goes astray at any point he will lose his biggest asset.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I've always thought Eason was too small anyway, he does have a bit of bulk though and takes some pretty heavy knocks. What he lacks in physicality he manages to make up in defence and I would strongly argue that he is no longer a 9. He fits the bill of a 9 but looks more of a playmaker and has the kicking game of a 10, that being said I have only seen him behind go-forward ball at 10, his games at 9 have been unimpressive in my opinion, he gets to the breakdown too slow and often does a Genia and sits on the ball. He would be roughly Greene's size IMO but his defence is slightly better and he is also more creative and knows where to find gaps. Neither have a huge amount of experience at 10 as neither really played much there last year but they are both shouldering large weights of expectation.

Agreed re Greene's kicking but you have to remember this is the kids second shot at an Aus schools jumper, he failed the first time and the pressure the second time around will only be more enhanced. When you make the decision to repeat year 12 you have to be truly motivated and believe that you will get it the second time around, particularly in Greene's situation where he isn't on a scholarship. The big boppers from NSW would love to see a QLD team with Greene and Eason at 15 and 10 respectively but I can't see it happening, there are always one or two surprise selections and we are quick to discount AIC players and CSS players, probably not a wise move.

Status
Not open for further replies.