• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Coffee

Heads up State-high. Great bunch of boys. Somewhere, sometime, someone will see the light; Punishment fitness training sessions on monday followed by 7 x more training sessions over 5 x school days since before the season start (8 in total) is the best recipe for burn-out; injury and failure. I say no more for fear of working myself-up (well, I already have .)

J

John Coffee

Ever been to Downlands?

yes I have, and I forgot about that, thanks for reminding me. BGS makes the second best steak burgers overall; but the best of the metro schools ... my bad.

TSS over NC ... very interesting indeed.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
I think their loss against Ipswich was just as interesting, and would have sent the team back down to earth.

The Southport boys always seem to find something extra against the Blue and White.

Z

Zonkors

Games analysis from a State High oldboy perspective, once again disappointing results [37-6],
BSHS and IGS both came out hell for leather, exchanging penalty kicks and both teams proving to be solid in attack and defence,
a missed tackle from a BSHS back, led to Ipswich's first try, the BSHS #3 came off the field injured, yelling in excruciating pain this brought on a player who seemed to be lost and had no clue where to stand in attack or defence, with BSHS #6 moving into the front row and scrums becoming non contested, the game commenced.
the score was 10-6 at the break. BSHS #15 fullback and goalkicker was subbed off at halftime, not sure why please fill me in if you know any details.

With twenty left on the clock BSHS were down 13-6 and to me, this is where the problem occured. BSHS coaching staff started to make what now seems to be embarrassing and poor decisions, substituting players off who were playing strong and didn't seem to be hit by any fatigue particularly BSHS #6,#14 and #1. The players who came on added no impact to the game and it started to rain tries for IGS, another problem was the BSHS lineout was in all sorts of trouble once #3 came off early in the first half.

The coaching decisions made should be blamed for the scoreline. Perhaps BSHS wouldn't of won, but they definitely would have still been in the game if it wasn't for the substitutions.

Standouts for State High:
#8 - Dominant, on the ball player proved why he is an Australian Schoolboy.
#6,7 - Both looked dangerous with ball in hand each making a scintilating linebreak.
#5 - Also had strong ball carries for BSHS would be good with support each side of him.
#10 - Through good flat passes and allowed his backs to have time and space.
#12 - Good ball runner and kept the Ipswich centres quiet in attack. Well Done.

Again very bizzarre decisions made by the coach of State High.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
I witnessed a blowout like you're describing when they versed Grammar. State High really need to address how they approach the second half/fitness levels.

G

GPSPRIDE

Does anyone know how the return of Lakehm will fit into a already cohesive BGS outfit?

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
Games analysis from a State High oldboy perspective, once again disappointing results [37-6],
BSHS and IGS both came out hell for leather, exchanging penalty kicks and both teams proving to be solid in attack and defence,
a missed tackle from a BSHS back, led to Ipswich's first try, the BSHS #3 came off the field injured, yelling in excruciating pain this brought on a player who seemed to be lost and had no clue where to stand in attack or defence, with BSHS #6 moving into the front row and scrums becoming non contested, the game commenced.
the score was 10-6 at the break. BSHS #15 fullback and goalkicker was subbed off at halftime, not sure why please fill me in if you know any details.

With twenty left on the clock BSHS were down 13-6 and to me, this is where the problem occured. BSHS coaching staff started to make what now seems to be embarrassing and poor decisions, substituting players off who were playing strong and didn't seem to be hit by any fatigue particularly BSHS #6,#14 and #1. The players who came on added no impact to the game and it started to rain tries for IGS, another problem was the BSHS lineout was in all sorts of trouble once #3 came off early in the first half.

The coaching decisions made should be blamed for the scoreline. Perhaps BSHS wouldn't of won, but they definitely would have still been in the game if it wasn't for the substitutions.

Standouts for State High:
#8 - Dominant, on the ball player proved why he is an Australian Schoolboy.
#6,7 - Both looked dangerous with ball in hand each making a scintilating linebreak.
#5 - Also had strong ball carries for BSHS would be good with support each side of him.
#10 - Through good flat passes and allowed his backs to have time and space.
#12 - Good ball runner and kept the Ipswich centres quiet in attack. Well Done.

Again very bizzarre decisions made by the coach of State High.

Bizzarre decisions made by thr State High coaches when they played BGS. Interesting, against BGS their starting prop went off. The first guy who came on was dreadful and gave away a few penalties at the scrum. He went off and the scrums were better. How they go from having two prop reserves to non...
Sounds like too many issues for them sadly. Not sure on their coach's credentials but perhaps reserve judgment when he has a better squad to work with.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
Got out to see TSS roll NC yesterday. All the noise made about Tuttle fizzed out coz he didn't play. From what I hear though, it is a worry that he is so crucial to the team from 12.
TSS dominated and played well.
It's just great to have such a very well contested premiership this year. Plenty of great clashes yet to come.

D

_dark

Does anyone know how the return of Lakehm will fit into a already cohesive BGS outfit?

It could potentially ruin their so far excellent run. If Lakehm tries to do too much it could have a very negative effect, no matter how good of a player he is. However, Sam Greene is a smart enough player to distribute the pill around the field well and to keep his stunning kicking game working. If Fakaosilea is still at 12 when BGS v BBC it will be one of the great match-ups of the year.

Coogee Boy

Allen Oxlade (6)
BBC v Churchie went obscenely overtime, I think the ref surely screwed something up with his watch. The game began at 2.15 and didn't finish to 4.55. Even with half time and a few injuries I still think it ran 15 minutes longer than it should've.

BBC should have won Churchie scored twice in those last 10 minutes with a drop + penalty and a try before that. Lop sided penalty count too had the Misking faithful up in arms for the latter part of the second half.

Bowen saved grace with a last minute penalty from 47 and with a huge angle. Amazing kick that I thought he would never get, went over like Jonny Wilkinson used to put them too.

Scrappy game but enthralling. There was a girl seated near me whom was from a massive Churchie family and wouldn't shutup about how shite bbc rugby is. Didn't hear from her after the final whistle.
Standouts

Here's my match report:

Game begins with a good crowd in from sides, college has responded to last weeks win against state high with a strong turn out in support. Churchie are the first to score after continuous pressure on BBC. The college was strong in forward collisions in response and after securing a penalty they boot it a few meters inside Churchie's 22. From the lineout a very organised drive results in a try and yellow card to Churchie #2 for obstructing the maul on the way in. BBC had the better with a couple of penalties and seemed to be going into halftime with a 16 - 8 lead only for Churchie to pressure hard and steal the ball, make their way into the 22 and score with a simple quick pass to the winger via halfback. Conversion unsuccessful score 16 - 13, teams go into half time.

Second half gets underway and there is no score for some time. BBC eventually get a lineout just on Churchies side of halfway. In a 'Saia Fainga' sneaky they work the ball to the 1, back to 2 who sets off down and puts mikey diaring 9 away for a try in the corner. score 21 13. BBC add a penalty, 24 13.

At this point in the game I was starting to think if they held them out for much longer it would be the ball game. It was 20 past 3 by my watch. 10 minutes later at half past I was thinking the same thing. And then five minutes later Churchie scored a try. Then a drop goal, then a penalty that had them thinking they'd won it. another five minutes and BBC had a penalty to tie it.

How on Earth full time was not called anytime between when BBC where up by 11, up by 6, up by 3, tied, behind by 3 is really really weird. Perhaps the ref realized he'd let the game run over already and Churchie had scored during that and let BBC have even more time to return the favour?

BBC v Churchie
An epic second half in which I was able to re-read the Lord of The Rings Trilogy, the Ref so kindly encouraged Churchie with such exhortations as "Oh, there is plenty of time left in this game" and "why don't you take this time to work out what you will do next" and "Why Yes, i will give you some more injury time because you may decide to run a move in the the general direction of that injured player", - true and essentially accurate quotes from the Churchie/Ref dialogue, Act II Scene CCXVII.

With BBC down to 14 players through a string of 'penalties', and I use that expression in it's widest possible sense, because the Churchie captain did a most splendid job in reminding the match officials of the finest details of the rules-of-the-breakdown ... ("excuse me, Sir"), but I digress again;... a string of penalties in their own half that would have sunk the Titanic three times over, the BBC boys actually have no one to blame as they threw the game by handing over even the miniscule amount of possession they were destined to have.

It reminded me of a certain W/Cup final where the Blacks were ordained to win by the gracious whistle of the gods.

The Churchie XV should unite in thanksgiving for walking away with a draw, they threw everything they had at BBC. Oh, and they need to buy some lottery tickets,... today, NOW.

This competition is getting very interesting.

G

G&GR News Bot

It is often said that a draw is like kissing your sister and given their sides’ results on the weekend, BBC and Churchie supporters both have good reason to be swilling the mouthwash. Conversely, Toowoomba Grammar and Gregory Terrace supporters each have reasons to smile. Brisbane Boys’ College v. Anglican Church Grammar School (Churchie) Having already

Click this link to read the full article...

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
Thanks for the replies about Northgate - much appreciated :)..... my sporting world has gone crazy so I find solace in the gps rugby...... grammer had a fantastic weekend - we did not lose given we had a bye :p. The olympics is just depressing.....rowers and swimmers (my sports back in the good ol days).... wtf...super rugby the reds so near yet so far ...crap.....uni is doing ok in the premiere league so far......ho hum.......rugby championships coming up and I have a friggin chill in the bones about how we are going to perform....im jumpy as a grasshopper not only about the chicks in black but also the Argies...... what can I turn to....grammar... thats about it :D ...come on boys give me something to help the rum go down this season.....

gpsrugby2012

Stan Wickham (3)
Are there any updates on the 2nd XV competition this year?
Also, the loss of Nick Anderson is not too severe as Grammar have played their two GPS games thus far without the utility forward. The flanker position is the main hole that needs to be filled with Alister Harper remaining in the front row.

G

G&GR News Bot

Round 3 Results: BBC drew with Churchie 27 all Toowoomba defeated Terrace 28-23 Southport defeated Nudgee 31-19 Ipswich defeated State High 37-6 Brisbane Grammar had the bye The competition table after Round 2 stands as: Round 4 games are as follows: Southport v Churchie Nudgee v State High BBC v Terrace Ipswich v Brisbane Grammar

Click this link to read the full article...

Status
Not open for further replies.