• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Please don't come out to watch no one wants you there.

Get off your high horse. That is the wrong attitude to have around here mate. The bigger the crowd, the better.

He is watching his grandsons game at churchie this weekend.

I am far too young to have a Grandson, not only that but Churchie aren't playing at home. Your posts are getting progressively worse and your personal vendetta is ridiculous, move on.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
is mort duff playing 16A's because lakhem is now playing prop?

Look, on the coast we are seperated from more of this banter and rubbish, but even I have been made aware of the nonsensical rivalry of 'Mort Duff vs. Terrace'. So I suggest that on behalf of the people that read this forum with the intention of attaining knowledge about the GPS First XV competition, you would keep the discussion to that topic. This is only because I have seen Duff's name appear on the thread on more than one occasion? *Laughs*

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Look, on the coast we are seperated from more of this banter and rubbish, but even I have been made aware of the nonsensical rivalry of 'Mort Duff vs. Terrace'. So I suggest that on behalf of the people that read this forum with the intention of attaining knowledge about the GPS First XV competition, you would keep the discussion to that topic. This is only because I have seen Duff's name appear on the thread on more than one occasion? *Laughs*

GlobeTrotter, it is a case of simple minds. Those of us who have been here a while know it's just immaturity.

thejoker

Bob McCowan (2)
i do believe that this doesn't have to be 100% serious, jokes here and there can be made

Mate GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE. If you aren't serious on this forum I will report your comments like light has reported mine which has made me one strike away from being banned. You are just a simple mind. Bit of maturity here ippylad93.

B

Boomboom

Sabanator, I played Harlow in a bit of club rugby this year and as the team explained to me he was Queensland 2, i laughed. Even at club level he was shut down, destroyed and really no stand out player what so ever. I find him to be one of the most over rated players in the competition and his scruming abilites were woeful.

I think match of the week will be a tough BGS v IGS. Cousins Lakem and Latham love a good battle against each other. Both teams are so evenly matched, scrums will be ruthless and the playmakers and centres both on both sides can read the game excelently. Tough game but i'd tip IGS by a try.

Churchie vs South port will be an interesting one but after the narrow win to terrace, i think churchie will want to prove to everyone the possible wrecking forve this year. TSS forwards will be dominant but i think churchie might be able to start to gel as a team and pull this one through. acgs by two tries.

BBC v Terrace. I'd have to say this will also be a tough one. With both teams having narrow loses in the past week, the mental state of the players will be revengful and rutheless. BBC by the sounds of it are having team bonding issues but i still belive they will make terrace mulch on the footy field. The backs will definately be a big party of this. It will be a close start but BBC by two tries.

I would have to disagree with you on that one. I have witnesses harlow play on many occasions and he has been a standout especially surrounding school and representative trials. After watching the gt v acgs game on the weekend. I totally agree with him being dropped tho. If you are right in what you say about macnamee being moved to hooker, he was by far the weakest link in the front row.

Also I struggle to come to grips with how u think bbc will beat gt 2 tries. This seems unreasonable as terrace have shown the best defensive performance of any team this year. ( only watched suncorpe games and gt v acgs) if anything all gt's games this year will be close and exciting to watch but I do agree with most of u in that terrace lack any punch in the backs. Although heanan is a dominant ball runner, he is the only one so defense will be all over him as no body else, with the exception of dagleish Bose any iminant threat

Disagree with churchie TSS result. Can see TSS getting up over churchie. Lack of confidence in the churchie side after some disappointing form from previous week. TSS will be fealing good after hearing the results. Suncorpe game was tight, could have gone either way so I tip TSS by 2

Light, comment away

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Also I struggle to come to grips with how u think bbc will beat gt 2 tries. This seems unreasonable as terrace have shown the best defensive performance of any team this year.

For GT to have displayed the best defensive performance all year you would be implying that Churchie had a good attacking performance on the weekend (which it obviously didn't for a range of reasons). Most teams can defend, TSS could probably argue that the fact they only let in one try in the final minute to Churchie suggests they had the best defensive performance of any team this year. (Churchie had West, Quigley and Hyne on the field as opposed to Eason at 9, Clarke on the wing and Poplawski at fullback respectively). Is it classified as a good defensive performance if you lose? What will the scoreline be if it's a bad defensive performance? You can't expect to win a premiership on defence alone and using your theory I would say they also had the worst attacking performance of any team all year.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Right you are Tarabs, what a brilliant avatar too.

Surely the Terrace vs. BBC game, looks to be the matchup of the round considering tensions will be flaring after the Stuartholme post.

Keen for a GAGR meetup @ the post

J

John Coffee

Before the sun fades away on the last weekend. I have to say that BSHS in its drumming by NC in the trial last week was not completely bad for SH. Six yr 11's took the field whilst tried and tested players were dropped for the exercise. Probably a unnecessary exercise if you're looking for your best 15 with limited outings before the season proper. SH did score some good tries off the back of promising forward play and almost a third. Their forwards displayed some aggressive progress packed with a small core of 3 or 4 yr12's that consistently displayed sound skills to the detriment of the NC pack runners, who were forced to run wide into the SH backs, easy pickings for seasoned runners. SH's hapless defense in the backs was hindered by fundamental errors like failing to tackle around the legs and stop the run and momentum. Of course NC class in the backs goes without saying. Some good stuff went on there, beautiful to watch.

Its worth mentioning however that NC tries came through the SH backs and not the SH forwards until fatique and demoralisation set in. Three tries in the dying minutes of the game will do nothing to convince any opposition that they have anything to fear from BSHS this year. More importantly the loss will do nothing to inspire SH players to aspire to greater heights. But this shouldnt be confused with a prevailing view that BSHS doesn't have the players. They do. Some very good tried and tested palyers of quality and sound skill. At least for this year. I can't speak for 2013.

Several factors are involved here. State High has the players to combine a formidable 15 this year make no mistake. Without mentioning names, several have achieved rugby at Qld level in past years and again this year. In the last 3 years SH has retained enough players to maintain a high standard, and last years result should not even be considered a lowly achievement and we all know where they were there. So whats up with BSHS? If you have the players then whats the difference when it comes to performance? Recruitment issues aside.

In a word 'morale'; Totalitarianism or egalitarianism are phrases not taught on the rugby pitch by a coaching regime. A vicarious system of punishment is neither understood by those who are just used to playing the game at a hard and fast pace. Players don't differentiate they just react. The environment has not suited all players of a high standard, looking for honours denied them in previous years in this their last year of High School and consequently resignations and re-signings with other schools have been the prefered option for some. Having played second string to the BSHS dream-team for 3 years, the feeling that this is their time now, has not been afforded them. Talent skill and ability appears to have been sacrificed for attitude, regardless of pultry indiscretions. What is needed here is morale. If BSHS is to show spirit this year in the score line they will have to deal with their demons inbetween games between the people that matter. If nothing progresses there? ... the poisoned chalice is handed down for another year.

However a great loss it has been to SH 1st 15, there are many remaining that can fill the bill. Big shoes to step up to for some, already there for others. The hope is that talent skill and proven ability is not sacrificed for attitude to the point that less equipped players are fielded just to prove a point. The top ranked BSHS players (again I'm not naming them) some would describe as inconspicuous in the GPS arena, but well lauded in the grade game at all levels. For whatever reason they may not be household GPS names belies the presence they make against the names that are, in the GPS round robins. Their stats are high, the work rate is exceptional ... they just don't have trumpets blowing to announce their presence, but they do a great job. They probably need more recognition at the local level for what they do, for it will inspire more from them during the season.

If BSHS are to do better this year, the fundamentals need to be addressed. The forwards will only be able to do so much if the backs cannot match them for skill and work rate. SH had a good forward platform to set up their backs, but inexperience, untried and untested players failed to utilise the feed in the trial game. This should not be viewed as the mainstay or the execution for an entire season, for things can surely change from game one (hopefully) if they're players are in a good head space at seasons start. Lets hope they are. And lets hope they get their opportunities.

thejoker

Bob McCowan (2)
GT 14 defeated BBC 12. Just like to note that BBC had a full strength team on the field while Terrace had 4 injuries.

T

Tarabs

Harlow in the seconds? The same Harlow that made Queensland 2 last year? Well I say that is a surprise.

not really, there is more competition for the front row than you might think, and that doesn't even consider the injured firsts prop sam wilson who hasn't played the trials due to injury

T

Tarabs

GT 14 - BBC 12, and what a game it was. Shout out to Jack Gwyn for getting a red card and Jack Heenan (c) who convincely won the battle of the fists against BBC captain Junior Fuckimsillier (not sure on spelling).

R

ruggersbrah

R

ruggersbrah

Sabanator, I played Harlow in a bit of club rugby this year and as the team explained to me he was Queensland 2, i laughed. Even at club level he was shut down, destroyed and really no stand out player what so ever. I find him to be one of the most over rated players in the competition and his scruming abilites were woeful.

I think match of the week will be a tough BGS v IGS. Cousins Lakem and Latham love a good battle against each other. Both teams are so evenly matched, scrums will be ruthless and the playmakers and centres both on both sides can read the game excelently. Tough game but i'd tip IGS by a try.

Churchie vs South port will be an interesting one but after the narrow win to terrace, i think churchie will want to prove to everyone the possible wrecking forve this year. TSS forwards will be dominant but i think churchie might be able to start to gel as a team and pull this one through. acgs by two tries.

BBC v Terrace. I'd have to say this will also be a tough one. With both teams having narrow loses in the past week, the mental state of the players will be revengful and rutheless. BBC by the sounds of it are having team bonding issues but i still belive they will make terrace mulch on the footy field. The backs will definately be a big party of this. It will be a close start but BBC by two tries.

hope you didn't have a bet mate you would have lost some money on the terrace game, terrace's backs looked a lot better, BBC were the stronger side for the first 20 minutes but terrace finished with 2 tries, 1 to tom given, and 1 to robbie green, as well as another being disallowed over the line involving the backs, BBC's backs were pretty rubbish apart from conrad quick having a couple of runs but other then that he was pretty average

Coogee Boy

Allen Oxlade (6)
hope you didn't have a bet mate you would have lost some money on the terrace game, terrace's backs looked a lot better, BBC were the stronger side for the first 20 minutes but terrace finished with 2 tries, 1 to tom given, and 1 to robbie green, as well as another being disallowed over the line involving the backs, BBC's backs were pretty rubbish apart from conrad quick having a couple of runs but other then that he was pretty average
Not much in Terrace's 2pt win. A game of two halves. Considering who wasn't playing for BBC (minus Hood, Sala and Jnr's sent off ...after being eye gauged??): in a shortened first half BBC looked the stronger side to me- they looked like they would run away with it.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Well I went out to the only "locally" held round of games - GT v BBC at Tennyson. Got there early to watch the youngest Lucas brother play in the 13A's and was treated to an awesome display across the park from the Terrace team (which also included "Bobby" Nasser's son) routing BBC by over 80 points. In fact Terrace easily won every A game and 2nd XV game today.

The 1st XV trial game was a great arm wrestle. I understand both sides were down at least a player or three because of illness and injury. However, all fit contenders took to the field.

I think the experiment with McNamee in the GT front row will not occur again. GT gave away too much size and strength and maybe inexperience with normal hooker moving to LHP. BBC won at least 2 tight heads and pushed the GT pack all around the park. However, GT dominated the line outs.

BBC also seemed to have it all over the GT backs, particularly the wings. The second try from the BBC right wing was very soft.

Saying all that, it seemed like a game of two halves. The all in brawl just before oranges and subsequent red card for one player on each team probably caused that. By the way Jack Gwynn (GT) was very unlucky to be red carded. Junior F thoroughly deserved it and I thought Heenan (GT) and Bronson (BBC prop) were very lucky to stay on the field.

In first half BBC were all over Terrace across field except line outs with GT hanging on with fingernails like previous week against Churchie. But it did not last and BBC crossed twice. If their kicker had used a kicking tee, the final score could have been different.

But then in second half with both teams down a back rower GT got stronger and stronger as the game went on. BBC only got into an attacking position once where GT seemed to have multiple attacking opportunities. O'Rourke butchered what could have been the equaliser, but then BBC half and 5/8 made a critical mistake causing a five metre scrum to GT with a couple of minutes to go. GT then ground out a good try off a quick penalty tap a minute or so later.

Congrats to Terrace for the trial win. It was interesting to hear their coach yell out to the team to watch their body language when they were down 12 nil. It made a difference in my opinion.

Still only a trial game but Terrace will be gaining confidence and will only keep improving. BBC did look good, but just did not seem to finish off and when the pressure came on I felt they fell down badly in the halves. If they don't fix this up it will be a waste not being able to use the talent they have outside the BBC halves.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Thoroughly impressed by Terrace today. When they get to full strength (four players out with injury today, including the entire backrow), I'd expect them to seriously challenge the contenders (like they did in 2010). It's refreshing to see one of the historically great powers of GPS rugby returning to prominence.

Status
Not open for further replies.