• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GPS fan

As for the uncontested scrums, this has only happened for the terrace game. On the weekend, both the highly rep achieveing front rowers Aaron Pleash and Latham Takau were yellow carded yet IGS were still a formitable force in the scrum. The GT incident was due to an illness which had struck the team were alot of the players were ill but some more than others.

The ippy scrum was soundly beaten on Saturday. BGS won a tighthead and the BGS LHP continually popped Takau....continually.

oldref

Bob McCowan (2)
There are two schools in AIC / GPS that I know of that have clocks that count down time during a game - IGS and St Peters and inevitably they stuff it up every time. The laws of the game say that the referee is the sole judge of time, so a number of questions must be asked
1. Under whose authority did the schools install these clocks?
2. Who is operating these clocks?
3. If the referee is the sole judge of time, why use the clocks at all?

The only level where clocks operate in Brisbane is for games at Super 14 and Test level at Suncorp and at these games, the clock is run by trained timekeepers who are senior referees. Also any Ballymore games with injury time have the same deal.

GPS and AIC 1st XV by laws allow for stoppage time and this could be for injury, running on substitutions, the ref taking a TJ report or even for tieing up a bootlace. Do the operators of these scoreboard clocks (or some readers in the forum) know this? Probably not.

For the record, at the St Peters v Eddies game, when the clock couldn't even keep time properly in the "no time off" 2nds game, at least there was a common sense decision made on the run in the 1sts to stop the clock with 5 to go - an old rugby league trick from years gone by. The only solution for IGS is to do the same so that there is no controversy.
Spot on Havealook. Like the idea of stopping the clock at 5 mins to go like rugby league used to and AFL still does. It would be a simple way to get rid of these so called controversies. Best one of these happened at Downlands who also have one of those clocks. The incident happened a few years ago in the O'Callaghan Cup game when the buzzer went off and the Downlands students invaded the pitch in joy. However, the referee at the time (Scott Young ex test referee) still had 3 minutes to go on his watch, so the pitch had to be cleared and game resumed and TGS then scored in the remaining time to win it.

G

GPSPRIDE

The ippy scrum was soundly beaten on Saturday. BGS won a tighthead and the BGS LHP continually popped Takau..continually.

The BGS team was soundly beaten on Saturday.... Not to make excuses but take not the tighthead was only won when IGS has just received a yellow card. Saying that, yes Takau did cop a couple of hits but when you compare the amount of hits he received to how many he made, its clear he is a force to be reckoned with.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
there's some video on the front page which I don't think picks up these issues. But the BBC try from the quick lineout - was the ball not touched by a College student? Shouldn't have been allowed the quick throw in my eyes.

I was actually 1 meter away from where that ball went out and can't remember whether it was touched for the life of me. If it was there certainly shouldn't have been a quick line out awarded.

EDIT: Reg looked at the video on the front page and it's still not conclusive but as the student jumps up to touch it mcclean does get hold of it. Whether he touches it first and thus has posession is a question. Interesting one, I don't think it makes much of a difference at amateur level but it would start a real stink at professional level, you can debate either way.

THe hold up is too inconclusive, and the last GT try isn't conclusive either. But it's all academic now, well played GT. BBC had plenty of chances to win the game towards the end and didn't take them on the back of strong defense.

Also I think an old boy was kicked out, the ref had a chat to police halfway through the game. There was a couple smoking on the old boys hill, not sure if that's legal at a school

G

G&GR News Bot

Round 3 Results: Nudgee 49 defeated State High 16 Terrace 27 defeated BBC 22 Ipswich Grammar 25 defeated Brisbane Grammar 21 Southport 38 defeated Chuchie 21 Toowoomba Grammar had the bye The competition table after Round 2 stands as: Round 5 games are as follows: Brisbane State High v Southport Brisbane Grammar v BBC Terrace v

Click this link to read the full article...

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Also I think an old boy was kicked out, the ref had a chat to police halfway through the game. There was a couple smoking on the old boys hill, not sure if that's legal at a school

Depends how close to spectators and the field they were. There were a few old boys smoking at Churchie the other weekend and it seemed to go unnoticed, that being said they did walk away from the field to do so.

G

G&GR News Bot

Nudgee College reminded the rest of the GPS competition that they are still the title favourites this year with a comfortable victory over Brisbane State High School on Jack Ross Oval. The impact of the return of Jack Tuttle to the Nudgee side was evident from the outset as they looked a much more confident outfit

Click this link to read the full article...

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The sportsmanship from a few of the Churchie old boys was absolutely appauling during their round two match against Nudgee. Nudgee supporters were being abbused by the passing old boys and one was pushed to the ground. Nudgee showed dominance on the field.

There is no love lost between the schools, I witnessed a similar thing happen to a Churchie old boy who was walking through the Nudgee crowd and had abuse hurled at him for no reason, he was even in plain clothes. It's not really something the schools can control, if you're willing to give it then be prepared to cop it back. Not saying that the incident you mention isn't important or shouldn't be addressed, I just think that it works both ways and Nudgee certainly got the upperhand on the field.

It's good to see old boys who still have pride in their school, quite easy for them to not show up at all.

I

iluvfooty

I hear Terrace are set to make a change against Nudgee this week, with prop Scott Richards set to start. Richards, 5'8 and 132kgs is a physical specimen. A know bus enthusiast, expect this man to perform a couple of "John Hopoate's" on the weekend

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
Anyone have any thoughts on the absolutely disgusting display of non-sportmanship by the BBC Old boy when the terrace fullback was taking his first 2 kicks?

Do you mean the booing? Sadly that is common place now which is disappointing. The GT kicker just can't kick though. He proved that against Ippy missing two in front and missing the couple he did on the weekend.
By the same token, the GT supporters weren't any better when BBC lined up their kicks.
Gone are the days of absolute silence around the ground when a kick is taken.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
The booing is a few sad individuals from all schools. The great majority of the crowd goes quiet only for some sped to blurt something out. Shame really

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
there's some video on the front page which I don't think picks up these issues. But the BBC try from the quick lineout - was the ball not touched by a College student? Shouldn't have been allowed the quick throw in my eyes.
It was most definitely touched. I could tell that from the other side of the field.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Watch the video, I think it's inconclusive. Doesn't matter now and Terrace won anyway. What you lose on the merry go round you gain on the swing

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)

First, this is my first post. Hi to everyone.

Second, I don't recall there ever being absolute silence around any Rugby ground when a kick is taken ... There was always at least one group of no-hopers booing or yelling.

I was at the GT v BBC game on Saturday. The referee is actually a TMO for Super Rugby (no not the one who didn't award Liam Gill that try), he's quite the technical referee also sometimes favouring technical decisions over ones that would reward say the team who really deserves it. Regardless, he's probably one of the better referee's you can expect for a 1st XV. I had a chat to a few parents who were complaining, I said to them, well if he was a perfect referee then he'd be refereeing the Bledisloe on Saturday and there'd have some other chump you'd be complaining about controlling the game.

Anyway, what's all this talk about aethetic rugby players?? Please, this is schoolboy rugby.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Do you mean the booing? Sadly that is common place now which is disappointing.

I completely disagree. I can at least talk from a Grammar perspective, and as Sam Greene takes a kick (which he does plenty of) in a game there is dead silence all around the ground. Not a single noise has been made by Grammar or any Opposition this year. At least State High, Toowoomba, Ipswich, Downlands and Grammar have been totally respectful to other teams while kicking. 5/10 teams in the 'wider' GPS competition says to me that booing is not as commonplace as some may think...

Status
Not open for further replies.