• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
The Terrace 1st XV put together the worst display of rugby they've put together in the past two years. It was really that bad. A few strange selections saw the backline look completely out of sync and the forward pack didn't really get much going forward. It'll be interesting to see how they go against Churchie, and, if they fail to win another game (which I suspect they might), if there's another change in the coaching.

They took a few boys (2 in total I think) from the 16As which also didn't help that team who were rolled by BSHS.

It's something to talk about I think, is it really fair on everyone to drag boys out of the 16As into the firsts at this stage of the season? Sure, injury may force your hand, but even then is it worth the disruption to not just other teams but everything the firsts have worked hard to do together?

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
The second 'shoulder charge' I imagine being alluded to was a charge down attempt on Greene in the lead-up to Churchie's sole try. #10 Eason left the ground as Greene commenced his kick, at all times had his arms upward in the usual manner to affect a charge down. The players collided. Again, the referee immediately shouted to players (audible from touchlines) something like "play on, charge down!". Whether or not you agree with the interpretation (I do, at least), to say it wasn't dealt with is plainly wrong.
Wheather or not the tackle was legal or not, i think you have to look at the social aspect of the tackle. Greene is the flagship member and star player of Grammar's first XV rugby team. When the opposition, especially their captain and Greene's oposing flyhalf, makes a big hit that could be called illegal on Greene right infront of the Grammar cohort, at what could easily be taken as an attempt to send him off injured. You are asking for trouble. Bias come hugely into play here as everyone want's the game to go their way so I guess we should call it even?

In a lower grade schoolboy match on the weekend a referee from Nudgee failed to penalise a high tackle where the tackled player was knocked out and had to leave the playing field.

His explanation was that he "fell into the tackle".

I'm sorry, but this isn't Super Rugby, or Test Match Rugby. Anything, even on the fringe of foul play, or what can be reasonably interpreted at a higher level of Rugby as accidental must be treated much more severley at schoolboy level including first XVs.

I'm not for things like automatic red or yellow cards, or jumping to cards to punish even the most innocuous foul play ... But I am 100% for penalising any act by a player that contravenes the law on foul play regardless of it being an accident or not.

In this case, playing on from that "charge down", I think it's reasonable for a referee to look at that and from a certain angle make the judgement that the player did not mean to make contact like he did ... However, that's judgement is not a good look, especially when the boy goes off injured as he did. Just like saying "he fell into the tackle", it's a mitigating circumstance that might make it just a penalty, not a reason to not penalise it.

Of Course, the referee is the sole judge of fact and law, so what's done is done ... But I do wish more emphasis was placed on simply not tolerating this stuff at schoolboy level rather than tolerating it because it might have been accidental or at test level we'd be happy to let it go.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Mitch Third wasn't listed at #10 for TSS on the weekend. Is he injured? You'd have to think in such a tightly contested competition that such a massive loss would make the prospect of a Grammar victory this weekend even more likely. With Patty Morrey and Michael Gilbert hitting fine form either side of the scrum whoever Third's replacement is will be under significant extra pressure.

Hairy Test Eagle

Ward Prentice (10)
In a lower grade schoolboy match on the weekend a referee from Nudgee failed to penalise a high tackle where the tackled player was knocked out and had to leave the playing field.

His explanation was that he "fell into the tackle".

I'm sorry, but this isn't Super Rugby, or Test Match Rugby. Anything, even on the fringe of foul play, or what can be reasonably interpreted at a higher level of Rugby as accidental must be treated much more severley at schoolboy level including first XVs.

I'm not for things like automatic red or yellow cards, or jumping to cards to punish even the most innocuous foul play . But I am 100% for penalising any act by a player that contravenes the law on foul play regardless of it being an accident or not.

In this case, playing on from that "charge down", I think it's reasonable for a referee to look at that and from a certain angle make the judgement that the player did not mean to make contact like he did . However, that's judgement is not a good look, especially when the boy goes off injured as he did. Just like saying "he fell into the tackle", it's a mitigating circumstance that might make it just a penalty, not a reason to not penalise it.

Of Course, the referee is the sole judge of fact and law, so what's done is done . But I do wish more emphasis was placed on simply not tolerating this stuff at schoolboy level rather than tolerating it because it might have been accidental or at test level we'd be happy to let it go.
Rugby is a collision sport, there is an assumption of risk when playing.

Tubba

Stan Wickham (3)
Mitch Third wasn't listed at #10 for TSS on the weekend. Is he injured? You'd have to think in such a tightly contested competition that such a massive loss would make the prospect of a Grammar victory this weekend even more likely. With Patty Morrey and Michael Gilbert hitting fine form either side of the scrum whoever Third's replacement is will be under significant extra pressure.
Thanks Swarley

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
Rugby is a collision sport, there is an assumption of risk when playing.

Completely agree, and if a player is hurt in a normal course of the game, so be it ... But we're also talking about incidents that the laws of the game cover in order to protect the welfare of players.

At schoolboy level only three things matter
A) The players are having fun and want to play rugby beyond school
B) The players are learning
C) Player Safety

C

Coastboy

Third is due to return this weekend

U

Usain Bolt

Mate, you're too funny..you are the same person that dogged most of State High's team including Dylan Matthews ( if I recall it, you said he was 2nds material?) and I notice now you've deleted your posts, probably because the so called Year 11 players, as you say, are useless and can't tackle, had actually won the game yesterday. Obviously you know very little of the game? Or just plain hater, because what I saw from yesterday, those Year 11 players actually stood up and played with heart, which is something we haven't seen from all BSHS games thus far.
But stood up against what. From what has been said this is the worst GT performance in 2 years. This is a bit like Romania beating Georgia at the RWC. The BSHS forwards have been pretty good all year in particular Korczyk and Fortesque. The problem has been the outside backs. No speed and can't tackle. The BSHS backline improved out of sight when the #10 was replaced and Lihota came on (inappropriately referred to as the black kid) with Tibbets at #10. Fortesque made a huge impact when he came on and should never have been dropped. Ollie Cooper was great on the wing and never misses tackles. He wasn't even in the first squad until after the Ipswich game. Comes on against NC and gets a meat pie. BSHS must stick with the grade 12 boys in the backs (and forwards for that matter) or it will be cricket scores against TGS and Churchie. Keep in mind Churchie have not played GT or BSHS and have been competitive against the superpowers. They will not go undefeated. Interesting to see what the brains trust at BSHS do this weekend against Downlands. They will be tough up on the range.

sniper22

Bob McCowan (2)
There is nothing to uncover at BSHS. The U16's are small and unremarkable. This week's BSHS first XV line up strongly resembles the Sunnybank U16 team that played Taylor Bridge in the U17 club grand final. The TB team in that game were largely the BSHS grade 12's not deemed worthy to play first XV rugby. TB of course easily won the club grand final. GT by 20.

Says the person who tipped GT by 20 lol. Not sure what games you've watched for State High but those TB players you speak about haven't really done much this season except for Logan Tibbetts.

U

Usain Bolt

It seems I gave GT far too much credit for their earlier form against some of the better teams. The TB boys include Tibbetts, Dunn, Korczyk, Loukaris, Fortesque, Cooper, Kendall and Agresta. I think you will find they have made significant contributions this year (when asked to play) including the win against GT (except Agresta who payed in the 2nds). BSHS may also have to thank the GT coaching staff for stupidly dropping Given to the 2nds who incidentally is a former TB player.

kickbackkid

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think that the terrace coaching staff can be credited for the state high win on the weekend. Their choice of dropping Given to the seconds left Terrace with very little options outwide. Which really showed as late in the game Dalgliesh decided to go himself every time it was given to the backs because his outside backs didn't seem to do anything with the ball. It is a very arrogant move dropping a player of Givens calibre and I am glad to see Terrace pay the price for their arrogance.

U

Usain Bolt

I think that the terrace coaching staff can be credited for the state high win on the weekend. Their choice of dropping Given to the seconds left Terrace with very little options outwide. Which really showed as late in the game Dalgliesh decided to go himself every time it was given to the backs because his outside backs didn't seem to do anything with the ball. It is a very arrogant move dropping a player of Givens calibre and I am glad to see Terrace pay the price for their arrogance.
Sounds like the Churchie, BSHS and GT head coaches might be looking for something else to do in August next year.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)

As Coastboy said, Third is due to return this week, but I am interested to know why you think a BGS victory is so 'likely'. Personally, I can't split the teams - in fact I think I have previously alluded to how similarly both sides play. Despite my admitted bias towards Southport, I can just see Greene's boot being the small difference. Should be another cracker out at Northgate on Saturday nonetheless.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
To all those I offended suggesting IGS weren't a premiership threat, I do apologise. I still stand by my words though.
Wouldn't be surprised of they were rolled by BBC on the weekend in the battle of the Westside.

G

Getzy

I completely agree with this but i still cannot think why the GT coaches would even think to drop given.. especially when being replaced by two unheard of players.
Could someone please answer the question as to why he was dropped to 2nds? His performance has been fairly consistent so far this season, not brilliant but he has been doing his Job quite well. Much better than the likes of those who replaced him.

Straith

Chris McKivat (8)
Could someone please answer the question as to why he was dropped to 2nds?

I heard a rumor it was an attitude problem. Even though my source is completely unreliable, it seems like this is the only plausible reason for such a crucial player to be dropped to the 2nds...

U

Usain Bolt

It seems I gave GT far too much credit for their earlier form against some of the better teams. The TB boys include Tibbetts, Dunn, Korczyk, Loukaris, Fortesque, Cooper, Kendall and Agresta. I think you will find they have made significant contributions this year (when asked to play) including the win against GT (except Agresta who payed in the 2nds). BSHS may also have to thank the GT coaching staff for stupidly dropping Given to the 2nds who incidentally is a former TB player.
Forgot about Dylan Mathews and Jack Martin who also played for TB.

G

Getzy

I heard a rumor it was an attitude problem. Even though my source is completely unreliable, it seems like this is the only plausible reason for such a crucial player to be dropped to the 2nds.

Hmm, must have noticeably been slacking off to be dropped. Might have been a training problem, not rocking up etc. because his performances haven't been below par. Don't blame him though, frustration may have been an contributing factor

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
As Coastboy said, Third is due to return this week, but I am interested to know why you think a BGS victory is so 'likely'. Personally, I can't split the teams - in fact I think I have previously alluded to how similarly both sides play. Despite my admitted bias towards Southport, I can just see Greene's boot being the small difference. Should be another cracker out at Northgate on Saturday nonetheless.

Both teams are evenly matched. Mobile forwards and swift backline.
The favouritism goes to BGS due to fact they are undefeated at Northgate
fortress and Greene's goal kicking abilities. TSS will have to minimize giving
away cheap penalties in their half. Will be a great contest on Saturday.
May the best team triumph.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)

I phrased that badly. I don't think a BGS victory is incredibly likely, just that an injury to Third would undoubtedly help their chances. I think that it'll be an evenly contested match, and I'd be looking to see who comes our fit and firing in the first 15 minutes, because the team that wants it more will likely come away the victor.

Status
Not open for further replies.