• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
BBC had their old boys dinner last night and I can tell you that the mood was very much vibrant as a result of the 46 - 17 win. Very rowdy, and not just because of the amount of alcohol. Just goes to show winning keeps the old boys happy.

Also on an Aussie rugby, I think it should be one of the ARU's key goals in the next few years to get the kids who play through school to keep playing for clubs afterwoods. The drop out rate is insane.

redatheart

Frank Nicholson (4)
.. (ie. rugby-parents know that Nudgee for example is a excellent rugby school, so they might be more inclined to send their children there rather than a school that has a weaker program.such as BBC until very recently).

Completely agree Fairplay. One of the key reasons my son (and his younger brother after him?) went to Nudgee is that my lad was ok but maybe not outstanding at rugby, while loving the game, and research said Nudgee had a very good program. Result was that Nudgee got a lad who was in their 1stXV for 2 years without cost to them. If the other schools had similar reputations, then other factors may have changed the decision.

redatheart

Frank Nicholson (4)
.. Also on an Aussie rugby, I think it should be one of the ARU's key goals in the next few years to get the kids who play through school to keep playing for clubs afterwoods. The drop out rate is insane.

Tough one Spikhaza. Knowing quite a few lads from a bit of coaching and of course parenting, some of them are plain beaten up at the end of school rugby. The standard of GPS rugby is insanely good nowadays given its almost professional level of funding, coaching and focus. If you watch some of the DVD's of tough 1stXV matches, these young lads are taking monster hits minute after minute in every game. They are committed to their school and will take the punishment for their mates, but finishing school in the modern arena is the end of a very hard rugby path. You need to explain to an 18 year old carrying a bunch of fractures and bruises everywhere why he should go out and play again, but this time facing nasty grownups. That is the real challenge.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Tough one Spikhaza. Knowing quite a few lads from a bit of coaching and of course parenting, some of them are plain beaten up at the end of school rugby. The standard of GPS rugby is insanely good nowadays given its almost professional level of funding, coaching and focus. If you watch some of the DVD's of tough 1stXV matches, these young lads are taking monster hits minute after minute in every game. They are committed to their school and will take the punishment for their mates, but finishing school in the modern arena is the end of a very hard rugby path. You need to explain to an 18 year old carrying a bunch of fractures and bruises everywhere why he should go out and play again, but this time facing nasty grownups. That is the real challenge.

Great point, when many of us played the game years ago we didn't experience the physicality of the game today. All I wanted to do when I finished school and college rugby was to play more rugby, the experience of country or Brisbane club rugby after study was superb however many of the boys are so worn out by the time they leave school this is the last thing, for many, they want to think about.

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
Great point, when many of us played the game years ago we didn't experience the physicality of the game today. All I wanted to do when I finished school and college rugby was to play more rugby, the experience of country or Brisbane club rugby after study was superb however many of the boys are so worn out by the time they leave school this is the last thing, for many, they want to think about.

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
Is this not the point I was making earlier about Aussie Rugby? How can we as a country compete when GPS games are the pinnacle of Rugby in this country? Perhaps the principals need to get together regarding some guidelines over training...that does not mean more but less!

Are 1st XV boys in GPS still doing T&F for example, or, are they just concerned with Rugby? AFL likes to get players from anywhere...

I do not understand why boys are not playing senior mens' Brisbane club rugby and learning a few songs amongst other things.

redatheart

Frank Nicholson (4)
Is this not the point I was making earlier about Aussie Rugby? How can we as a country compete when GPS games are the pinnacle of Rugby in this country? Perhaps the principals need to get together regarding some guidelines over training.that does not mean more but less!

Are 1st XV boys in GPS still doing T&F for example, or, are they just concerned with Rugby? AFL likes to get players from anywhere.

I do not understand why boys are not playing senior mens' Brisbane club rugby and learning a few songs amongst other things.

Sounds like we are on the same page. Training starts in Term 1. While boys can play other sports, there is not really enough time in the day to do them seriously, when you throw in studies and maybe trying to have a life. I was informed that with all the commitments, a lad could have 28+ hours of rugby related activities in a week, on top of school work and study. Ask any first XV players what they did on the night after their game, I bet 90% would say they went to straight to sleep very early. Makes for good rugby, but a fair bit of burn out.

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
Sounds like we are on the same page. Training starts in Term 1. While boys can play other sports, there is not really enough time in the day to do them seriously, when you throw in studies and maybe trying to have a life. I was informed that with all the commitments, a lad could have 28+ hours of rugby related activities in a week, on top of school work and study. Ask any first XV players what they did on the night after their game, I bet 90% would say they went to straight to sleep very early. Makes for good rugby, but a fair bit of burn out.

It is nice to hear 'redatheart'...28+ hours...is that for real?

Sometimes less is more...AFL are now hunting basketball players...volleyball players would be great as jumpers in the lineout!

Just as others before talked about BBC being long term, isn't it the same with the future out of school?

Looks like we are in the rarity right here and now. Does anybody really think that despite all the emphasis players in rugby or league are now more skilful than 30 years ago (apart from tackling in rugby but not league)?

They are bigger - there is no denying that...

Have I missed something here?

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
Yet another complaint against GT parents and students regarding racism. Nudgee 16cs were targeted. Png and indigenous boys more specifically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I was at that game and I saw and heard no such thing. I suggest whomever gave you that information has been misinformed.

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
Misinformed? They were at the game.

Well I was there and nothing of that sort took place. If whomever was at that game wants to make that claim then let them, but I wouldn't go around making claims of racism online when it involves school children.

Terrace suspend students for much less so this person would be better off phoning the school rather than spreading rumours.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Fair enough, but how do you replace Nathan Russell, Conrad Quick, Benroy Sala and Bronson T?

The 15A team may be undefeated but just in those four guys alone you lose the core of the side, Russell in particular has been a standout this year. I'm not saying that the 15A side won't be a better prospect in two years time but there will be plenty of movement in other squads that may hinder BBC's chances. IMO Nudgee aren't as strong this year as in previous years, ACGS and IGS are strong but still inconsistent and TSS aren't playing to their potential. GT and BSHS are rebuilding their rugby programs and no one really knows what TGS are up to.

There would be a few schools with their eye on the title in 2015 I reckon.

As per usual Mr Light you post makes ver valid points. Russell cannot be replaced . He has scored a try in every match and 2 on Saturday . The double pump on Saturday to go under the posts untouched was Benji Marshall like . I only hope the QRU move before the Titans do.
So everything you say is correct. My only point is that BBC never talked up a premiership this year. They did talk up an improved performance and with the 1st xv in 2nd: 2ndxv in 2nd and 15A in 1st they seemed to have done that. I look forward to reading more of you Posts.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)

This is the Churchie vs BBC 15a match from a few weeks back, very interesting to watch. I was impressed with Churchie's set piece and forward structure, they severely lacked in making there tackles against the much larger BBC backline. BBC punished Churchie's errors throughout the game posting a 22-5 scoreline.

ACGS #15 and BBC Green headgear were two of the most livewire players I have ever seen, players to watch out for in years to come.

The boy in green headgear is cousin of Josh Bowen-Boyer . There is another one coming next year. There are Bowens relatives everywhere at BBC. If only uncle Matt would quit the cowboys and come down and coach. A lot of good judges are saying this boy is best footballer at BBC .he will be in 1sts somewhere next year. Fullback or fly half????

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
BBC to be a top two in u14, u15, u16, and 1st XV in 2014
They are not repeating: they will be back because they are in grade 11 and 2 in grade 10.

Heard Barker say on Saturday" you know in 2 years time Gunther will be bigger stronger , faster , meaner and tougher than Junior / Lolo was!." Philpotts laughed and licked his lips"
that is scary . Shit they are big in country NSW

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
I thought you may be interested in an article written by David Eagle for IGS recently. It is long but it is a reality check:

Boys will always want to play no matter what. If they don’t, in their minds, they feel like they are leƫting adults and in particular their parents, down. As I stated earlier, there is no way any adult would subject themselves to such a full on program.

Maybe it’s time we took the decision away from the boys before something gives."

Hopefully you found this a good read.

I would definitely send my boys to Ippy Grammar if you have an blokes like this involved in care for kids.

School sport should be enough especially with the fees involved.

Hope the blokes have done their homework!

Misinformed

Frank Row (1)
Yet another complaint against GT parents and students regarding racism. Nudgee 16cs were targeted. Png and indigenous boys more specifically.

Mate, i played that game and i can tell you there was no racism. A GT parent had to intervene after a Nudgee student struck two Terrace players. As for the racism part i am completely dumbfounded as to how this was evident. Personally i believe that the Nudgee team were incapable of admitting defeat. At the end of the game at least 4 players refused to shake hands and one instead resulted to verbal banter. I realise there may be some bias to this however, before posting please know both sides of the story.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Kris Verevis is another Cairns boy just like Josh Boywer and many other in that under 15 team, he is actually a number 7, but can play pretty much any position. A definent in the firsts next year.

leftrightout

Stan Wickham (3)
As per usual Mr Light you post makes ver valid points. Russell cannot be replaced . He has scored a try in every match and 2 on Saturday . The double pump on Saturday to go under the posts untouched was Benji Marshall like . I only hope the QRU move before the Titans do.
So everything you say is correct. My only point is that BBC never talked up a premiership this year. They did talk up an improved performance and with the 1st xv in 2nd: 2ndxv in 2nd and 15A in 1st they seemed to have done that. I look forward to reading more of you Posts.

BBC no 10 is very good but if you have a look at the replay of the game the reason why his double pump worked so well was that the number 8 was coming like a steam train 1/2 a metre to his right and 1/2 a metre behind him & screaming for the ball.If you look at the replay of the game the no 10 blew 3 tries as he had support from a flying Quik (who was unmarked ) and stepped back in or tried to run over the tackler and the play broke down(white line fever at its best)....

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Can anyone point me to where the results of the u15 QLD State Schoolboy Champs held over the last four days.

Received sporadic updates directly from players and their families, but for the life of me cannot find anything published.

Status
Not open for further replies.