• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Thanks GSP, no the comment didn't get much humming - my bad - but it did draw your response. (1) You can have knowledge about schools rugby by being associated with schools but this does not necessarily mean one is a teacher. I did like "sagacious". Compared to some of the peurile stuff here, we might need a bit more "sagacious".
(2) You obviously forget the days of the BBC South African scholarship imports in the mid 90's so please spare me the stuff about how lily white BBC are when it comes to scholarship offerings and get your facts right. My mail is that they got quite a few promising fellows on Tom Barker's watch and most didn't fit or didn't last or returned to wherever they came from. BBC promised a lot in 2012 and were cruelled by injury to their best players. Recruitment is about player talent but the boy needs to be a chance to fit the school and get value from it beyond the playing field or the whole thing is wasted. (3) Oh please!! spare me the drivel about BBC and their results. Everyone knows that the students who drag the OP average down at BBC are channelled out of the OP program so that it only reflects the performance of "academic" boys. I think BGS may have something to say about OP performance given that in 2012 around 50% of their senior cohort ( that's everyone, not just the smart ones while the window lickers are kept out of sight eating crayons) got OP1-3 including about 51 OP1's.
If you want to use this forum to spruik BBC academic credentials, maybe you are in the wrong place. This is to discuss GPS rugby.

Thanks Monday expert.

You are correct – this is a rugby forum and I regret being the only one to respond to your post which is the only post that I can find of any person that was critical of a school, its culture( and made defamatory comments about not only the school, but anAustralian school boy rugby player). Incidentally, when you were at school over 40 years ago, defamation was called libel.

Your post had nothing at all to do with rugby: but, rather, was a farrago of facts about school boy footballers, some of whom haven’t been at school for 35 years- in an attempt to show your erudite knowledge of the game. Whilst I am only too pleased to talk about rugby, I do not want to let your iconoclastic comments pass without response::

1. I agree you have more knowledge about 55 year old former schoolboy footballers than anyone else in this thread. Maybe it is time to remember that your ephemeral days of being a schoolboy footballer or of your kids of being schoolboy footballers are over and perhaps get back to your “Better Fishing” magazines.
2. I have asked around :and there were no South African scholarships. There is a difference between exchange students and scholarships. In exchange students, boys simply swap schools for no fee. Scholarships are normally associated with a reduction in school fees of some nature. But, again, I admit you know your stuff – BBC have more representative players in 2012 than any other school in Queensland, including 5 in GPS representative teams and 2 Australian schoolboys. Two of them(including the captain) didn’t play a single match and all of them were out for at least half a season( ie-no depth).
3. I don’t need to respond to your comments about OP scores because it is axiomatic that your comments about the pressures that some schools place on academics vis-a-viz rugby has nothing at all to do with rugby but is another piss- poor criticism that is not welcome on this thread.
4. The only comment in your thread that makes any sense is the final one: if you want to criticise the culture of schools, the alledged putative actions of boys that lead them to leaving schools and/or which schools place more academic pressure on their rugby players than others, then piss off and talk to the head master that you are now reporting to.
Otherwise, keep your comments about rugby.

Best wishes

willreason

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks Monday expert.

You are correct – this is a rugby forum and I regret being the only one to respond to your post which is the only post that I can find of any person that was critical of a school, its culture( and made defamatory comments about not only the school, but anAustralian school boy rugby player). Incidentally, when you were at school over 40 years ago, defamation was called libel.

Your post had nothing at all to do with rugby: but, rather, was a farrago of facts about school boy footballers, some of whom haven’t been at school for 35 years- in an attempt to show your erudite knowledge of the game. Whilst I am only too pleased to talk about rugby, I do not want to let your iconoclastic comments pass without response::

1. I agree you have more knowledge about 55 year old former schoolboy footballers than anyone else in this thread. Maybe it is time to remember that your ephemeral days of being a schoolboy footballer or of your kids of being schoolboy footballers are over and perhaps get back to your “Better Fishing” magazines.
2. I have asked around :and there were no South African scholarships. There is a difference between exchange students and scholarships. In exchange students, boys simply swap schools for no fee. Scholarships are normally associated with a reduction in school fees of some nature. But, again, I admit you know your stuff – BBC have more representative players in 2012 than any other school in Queensland, including 5 in GPS representative teams and 2 Australian schoolboys. Two of them(including the captain) didn’t play a single match and all of them were out for at least half a season( ie-no depth).
3. I don’t need to respond to your comments about OP scores because it is axiomatic that your comments about the pressures that some schools place on academics vis-a-viz rugby has nothing at all to do with rugby but is another piss- poor criticism that is not welcome on this thread.
4. The only comment in your thread that makes any sense is the final one: if you want to criticise the culture of schools, the alledged putative actions of boys that lead them to leaving schools and/or which schools place more academic pressure on their rugby players than others, then piss off and talk to the head master that you are now reporting to.
Otherwise, keep your comments about rugby.

Best wishes
So, 'Monday Expert' and 'GSP', now it becomes a battle of expression. I dont think that anyone posting on this forum gives really a "rats arse" about your "battle of the words"

SeaEagles

Allen Oxlade (6)
Whilst I agree with a lot of GSP said in his response. I think we need to keep it to rugby. There is no need for personal agendas here....Looking forward to some reports from the trials on Saturday....

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Fergus Halliday is too small to be flyhalf imo.

The same thing was said about Greene..

all the same I doubt he will play 10, simply because Dan Forsyth has no experience at halfback bar grade 8. Forsyth did play 10 in 15's and 16's before playing wing however, and tore up 16A backline's.

Halliday's representative experience is well-documented at 9, so I don't think I need to say anything here.

I believe the backline will start with Halliday at 9, Forsyth at 10. I understand Forsyth is certainly no bigger than Halliday, but is significantly faster obviously and I suspect considerably more elusive, which is good enough for me. Forsyth has proven through the years that defence is one of his better attributes, although this can be said for Halliday also. His athletisicm tied in with a very solid passing and kicking game makes playing Flyhalf a better option for Forsyth than Halliday.

mbw

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does anyone know if there is somewhere to find out times that teams play tomorrow at Terrace?

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Does anyone know if there is somewhere to find out times that teams play tomorrow at Terrace?

GPS Trials
Ground Time Grade Field Home Team Away Team Referee Asst. Ref Asst. Ref 4/5/TMO Referee Coach
Tennyson 0900 1XVT Lynagh Brisbane Grammar Brisbane Boys Buchanan P
Tennyson 0900 1XVT Dore Nudgee ACGS O'Callaghan R
Tennyson 0950 1XVT Lynagh TSS Brisbane Boys Cuthbert G
Tennyson 0950 1XVT Dore ACGS Terrace Male D
Tennyson 1040 1XVT Lynagh Brisbane Grammar TSS Willis M
Tennyson 1040 1XVT Dore Nudgee Terrace Cuthbert G
Tennyson 1200 1XVT Lynagh Ipswich Grammar Toowoomba Grammar Leszczynski S
Tennyson 1250 1XVT Lynagh Toowoomba Grammar Brisbane SHS Leszczynski S
Tennyson 1340 1XVT Lynagh Ipswich Grammar Brisbane SHS Leszczynski S

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
So, 'Monday Expert' and 'GSP', now it becomes a battle of expression. I dont think that anyone posting on this forum gives really a "rats arse" about your "battle of the words"

Sea Eagles and Willreason - Happy to keep it to rugby, you might see that was my contention for picking up GSP in the first place. Interesting that he had to go away for a week and swallow a dictionary in attempt to add some pseudo intellectual clout to his post. I actually wonder whether he is a fan of Georges St Pierre the UFC fighter or whether he tried to write "GPS" and had a dyslexic episode. That would certainly fit the convenient side step he made on the BGS OP stats which were on the public record and he doesn't defend his attempt to talk up the BBC OPs because he got owned. GSP tries to belittle my experience as if my first post was a few minutes after Webb Ellis picked up a soccer ball. I enjoyed this idea that I need to report a Headmaster, forgetting that as the fifth of 5 brothers , my experience encompasses recent rugby history across a number of years of GPS 1st XV rugby. I'd rather read some sort of jousting in preference to the drivel from trolls that pops up from time to time. That's it from me. I don't give a rat's arse either, better get back to the Fishing mags.

To get back to rugby, much better decision by the Rugby masters to have whole team trials for GPS teams this year. 2012 was a dog's breakfast because there had been no proper team trials ( or competition games) and there was too much reputation and not enough performance. As an example, Eason from Churchie (Q2 in 2011 as a reserve) had a terrible set of GPS trials and still got in. At least if a whole team plays, the coaches get a chance to have a ful squad hit out against decent opposition and players get a chance to at least demonstrate what they can do within their team structures. When Q teams assemble, the standard is good enough to have boys fit together and build combinations reasonably quickly. I am still at a loss to understand why rugby is in term 3 and soccer in term 2 given the number of boys who play rugby across the schools and the fact it has such impact on Term 3 exams and the QCS. Here's hoping selectors have some headaches because all play well and there are no injuries.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I am still at a loss to understand why rugby is in term 3 and soccer in term 2 given the number of boys who play rugby across the schools and the fact it has such impact on Term 3 exams and the QCS.
I heard it was because the soccer fans were complaining that their sport didn't get enough attention when it was playedat the same time as rugby.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
I heard it was because the soccer fans were complaining that their sport didn't get enough attention when it was playedat the same time as rugby.

Ask any boy playing GPS 1st XI soccer and he'll say his allegiance is to his club in the first instance because that is the pathway to Jnr Rep teams and the professional franchises for him if he choose to go that way. The rugby pathway is via 1st XVs to state and beyond to franchises. 1st X1 soccer kids regularly train with their clubs as opposed to their schools and this is allowed because they come and give back to their schools during the school seasons. The one thing the soccer guys do have right is the idea that if a kid is good enough, he's old enough with most 1st XI sides fielding players from Yr 9 or 10 as well as older boys. Why? They are skilful enough. The 2 year window stuff in rugby is a joke. No 1st XV coach would pick a boy who couldn't do the job.

Havealook

Allen Oxlade (6)
Went out for the early games involving Nudgee, Churchie, Terrace, BGS, BCC, TSS and while it was hard to keep track of what was going on with two fields going at once, I think that we had

Nudgee d Churchie
Terrace d Churchie
Nudgee d Terrace
BBC d BGS
TSS d BBC
TSS d BGS

You do have to take into account that some teams were fresh and some were playing teams that had just played.

For mine the most impressive performance was from TSS. BBC had beaten Grammar by 3 or 4 tries first up, but then a fresh TSS came out and really wiped BBC off the park. 6 or 7 tries to 1 in 40 mins of rugby - big mobile players, excellent support play, dominant at contact and had their hands on the pill for most of the game. Looked good.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
I would not read too much into any of the results.

Many "star" players were rested or out injured today. Also some teams had to backup against a fresh team after having just played 40 mins. So while it provided a glimpse of season prospects it could not be described as defining.

I saw parts of all but one (IGS v BSHS) of trial games played. Here is what I do know:-

TSS have a big mobile team well led by Mitch Third. (as mentioned in an earlier post, his playmaking abilities will make the difference). They are now my favourites for the 2013 title. They smashed BGS and BBC.

BBC knocked over BGS. BBC looked well drilled, but BGS just did not have the continuity or consistency and appear too light to compete in the physical encounters. A lot more work needed on converting the backs from last year chosen to play in forwards this year.

NC dominated ACGS and GT. They played confidently and the six or seven games under their belt shone through. Their passes stuck and they just seemed to have more structure. NC and ACGS were probably missing the greatest number of QLD schoolboy certainties for whatever reason.

GT then put a tiring ACGS team to the sword and ran in some easy tries as ACGS started falling off tackles.

IGS had it over TGS who seemed fragmented and tried to too much one off stuff. IGS just seemed as though their team had gelled better. It may have only been a one or two try difference but the gap seemed wider.

Then BSHS were the surprise packets of the day. They smashed a very tired TGS. Their aggressive pick and drive punched holes through the middle of TGS defence, but at same time nice quick hands to flying wings resulted in tries or good yards. They may not win the comp, but BSHS will win more games than they lose if they can maintain that enthusiasm.

No doubt the selectors already have most of their teams sorted, judging by the players who had been rested. I think more BSHS and IGS boys will make the team than I first thought.

I also think the GPS competition will not be very predictable. That is from week to week most of the results could go either way. I think the decider will be TSS v NC.

I believe the teams requiring more work or to step up to realise their potential will be BGS and TGS.

Coogee Boy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Went out for the early games involving Nudgee, Churchie, Terrace, BGS, BCC, TSS and while it was hard to keep track of what was going on with two fields going at once, I think that we had

Nudgee d Churchie
Terrace d Churchie
Nudgee d Terrace
BBC d BGS
TSS d BBC
TSS d BGS

You do have to take into account that some teams were fresh and some were playing teams that had just played.

For mine the most impressive performance was from TSS. BBC had beaten Grammar by 3 or 4 tries first up, but then a fresh TSS came out and really wiped BBC off the park. 6 or 7 tries to 1 in 40 mins of rugby - big mobile players, excellent support play, dominant at contact and had their hands on the pill for most of the game. Looked good.

True. Very disappointing format. How selectors could possible match players that have just come off 40 mins of full-on rugby against opponents that are fresh -I have no idea.
Which led to results like BBC dominated BGS 5-0, to run straight on against TSS and get steamrolled. But later a relatively fresh BGS who, were obviously outclassed, nevertheless looked half respectable against a tiring TSS.
Had a quick look at a few of the other games, again very hard to judge with some teams fresh and others weary.
But- no doubt TSS look the side to beat.

kickbackkid

Allen Oxlade (6)
i am aware there was a lot of boys who wern't playing at the trials because they were injured but from what i saw at tennyson today the team would be as follows, i dont know a lot of names so i am just going to give you the number that they were for there school and others can put names to numbers:

1. BGS 1
2. TSS 2
3. BSHS 3
4. IGS 4
5. BGS 5
6. IGS 20
7. BSHS 7
8. NC 8
9. BSHS 10
10. BBC 10
11. GT 11
12. TSS 12
13. NC 12
14. NC 14
15. BBC 15

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Saw one of the Qld selectors this arvo and he said "BBC (without Quick,Bowen orMclean ) beat BGS in a sramble . But TSS touched up everyone - they look ominous". He muttered words to effect that league boys like Bowen , McLean need to decide club or school .

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
The selector's attitude at these things is to find the "other" guys. Whether anyone likes it or not, certain players are "in" because of what they are proven to have done at higher levels in the past and this drives selections because of the nonsensical state of having to pick rep sides before a competition ball has been played. I wouldn't be carried away with the trial results and most posters seem to be of the same mind. There are some decent players in AIC - sure - the likes of Wilkins (Iona)and Junior (Pats) spring to mind but year after year the AIC -GPS Games prove GPS is the strongest comp and thus the higher proportion of players come from those teams. Don't write off BGS, they have very competent coaches and Marsden is a match winner. IGS are scarily big, NC are always strong and Churchie played without at least 4 potential Qld reps in MacMillan, Parese, Tanuvasa and Mason. I'm going to make my call for the comp early and say TSS will take the cup. Third has a point to prove and he will be like Greene for BGS last year, their S&C program builds great rugby specific bodies and Coach Wallace is a very good operator. TSS - NC will be standing room only. The venue may determine the outcome and the premiership.

FootyHead29

Stan Wickham (3)
For me the standout of the trials were 2 flyhalfs, Carlin Anderson and Mitch Thirdd. Mitch especially, he has matured as a player this year and i believe he could be wearing an Aus Schools jumper if he shows more of what he did today

willreason

Allen Oxlade (6)
I would not read too much into any of the results.

Many "star" players were rested or out injured today. Also some teams had to backup against a fresh team after having just played 40 mins. So while it provided a glimpse of season prospects it could not be described as defining.

I saw parts of all but one (IGS v BSHS) of trial games played. Here is what I do know:-

TSS have a big mobile team well led by Mitch Third. (as mentioned in an earlier post, his playmaking abilities will make the difference). They are now my favourites for the 2013 title. They smashed BGS and BBC.

BBC knocked over BGS. BBC looked well drilled, but BGS just did not have the continuity or consistency and appear too light to compete in the physical encounters. A lot more work needed on converting the backs from last year chosen to play in forwards this year.

NC dominated ACGS and GT. They played confidently and the six or seven games under their belt shone through. Their passes stuck and they just seemed to have more structure. NC and ACGS were probably missing the greatest number of QLD schoolboy certainties for whatever reason.

GT then put a tiring ACGS team to the sword and ran in some easy tries as ACGS started falling off tackles.

IGS had it over TGS who seemed fragmented and tried to too much one off stuff. IGS just seemed as though their team had gelled better. It may have only been a one or two try difference but the gap seemed wider.

Then BSHS were the surprise packets of the day. They smashed a very tired TGS. Their aggressive pick and drive punched holes through the middle of TGS defence, but at same time nice quick hands to flying wings resulted in tries or good yards. They may not win the comp, but BSHS will win more games than they lose if they can maintain that enthusiasm.

No doubt the selectors already have most of their teams sorted, judging by the players who had been rested. I think more BSHS and IGS boys will make the team than I first thought.

I also think the GPS competition will not be very predictable. That is from week to week most of the results could go either way. I think the decider will be TSS v NC.

I believe the teams requiring more work or to step up to realise their potential will be BGS and TGS.
I agree with you regarding BSHS. They have developed a good strong forward pack and their defensive play has improved out of sight from last years woes. They comfortably beat Toowoomba and narrowly went down to IGS 5 tries to 4 (I think). I agree that the competition will be much closer this year than some are predicting.

Status
Not open for further replies.