• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmc07

Frank Row (1)
BGS to smash D'lands. 30+

I watched Downlands play Terrace in Round 2 and I watched BGS play TGS on the weekend.

Downlands played some great Rugby against GT, while BGS were very poor against TGS. Even if BGS plays their strongest available team, they could be in for a shock.

I am told by a friend who follows BGS (and says that Saturday's performance was the worst by a BGS team since 2009) that BGS relied on some luck to beat Downlands by 7 with their full strength team in a trial at the end of Term 2.

I imagine that BGS will field their full outfit against Downlands and use the fixture to fix the weekend's issues before their next GPS match.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I am told by a friend who follows BGS (and says that Saturday's performance was the worst by a BGS team since 2009) that BGS relied on some luck to beat Downlands by 7 with their full strength team in a trial at the end of Term 2.

I imagine that BGS will field their full outfit against Downlands and use the fixture to fix the weekend's issues before their next GPS match.

BGS beat Downlands 33-6 in the trial, or close enough to that margin.

As far as I'm aware the Firsts are not playing Downlands this year, and after the Seconds trial which included 2 red cards for fighting (I hear the BGS carded player was a Sonny Bill Williams lookalike with a mean right hook, a killer sidestep and a flashy haircut to boot :cool:) and several other fights throughout the game culminating in an all out brawl during the handshakes has resulted in the Second's not allowed to play against Downlands also.

A friend who is playing thirds at BGS this season told me that he would be playing the Downland's seconds on Saturday.

I'm heading down to Southport for the weekend. Up the Nudge

FlashFlanker

Herbert Moran (7)
I agree with what you say . Barker should keep Bowen at fly half and put Swain back in the team . The line out was poor againstBSHS. But above all he has to get over his tiff with Noel McLean and put him back in the side . He has now scored 5 tires in the 2nds -and has to be the fastest player in GPS and favourite win again the 100 mtr crown . The Melbourne storm want him but Barker does not ?. If Wilkins is not playing then Perese and Tunavula will be too strong. Churchie by 15

I will agree that Bowen at flyhalf looked a much more enterprising... and he's no defensive weakness.

There's a big height difference between Swain and Palmer but there will be a need for a solid scrum which for the second week didn't look great until BSHS lost their prop to injury, after which BBC was dominant. Whoever plays lock needs to have a big work rate.

As for Noel, he certainly has had a good time scoring tries in the 2nds, but whoever plays centre needs to be just as good knocking down the ACGS centre pairing, who from reports have been damaging in the last two weeks. I could imagine NC's backline was nowhere near as impenetrable as the week before with Magnay there.

BTW. Just checked. Noel finished 4th in the Open 100m last year. He won the U16 100m in 2011 in a time that would have placed him second in the Open 100m in 2012. He's still %$#@^& quick.

jmc07

Frank Row (1)
BGS beat Downlands 33-6 in the trial, or close enough to that margin.

As far as I'm aware the Firsts are not playing Downlands this year, and after the Seconds trial which included 2 red cards for fighting (I hear the BGS carded player was a Sonny Bill Williams lookalike with a mean right hook, a killer sidestep and a flashy haircut to boot :cool:) and several other fights throughout the game culminating in an all out brawl during the handshakes has resulted in the Second's not allowed to play against Downlands also.

A friend who is playing thirds at BGS this season told me that he would be playing the Downland's seconds on Saturday.

I'm heading down to Southport for the weekend. Up the Nudge

I have just confirmed (from scores published by both schools) that the score in the trial was BGS 26 def DC 19 (four tries to three).

Both schools have also published the fixtures for this weekend with 1st XV, 2nd XV and 3rd XV teams listed to play.

Those who saw the Second XV match during the trial have said that there was no such "all out brawl" and that the fights you describe were little more than a couple of push and shoves.

I think you need some new sources!!!

Black Caviar

Stan Wickham (3)
I wouldn't be so sure, Churchie have some incredible firepower that seemed to click last week against TGS, Tanuvasa (QLD 2 2012) Perese (QLD U16) Mason (QLD U18 Rugby League) and Macmillan
(Australian A)who I believe is back from injury this week, just to name a few, this Churchie side will give Nudgee a tough game

Looks like you knew what you were talking about

SeaEagles

Allen Oxlade (6)
Churchie at home will be a real test for BBC, they have arguably the toughest draw playing both Churchie and Nudgee away and then the final match of the season against TSS. That could be an upset but for now Churchie has momentum and the centre pairing has been devastating the last few weeks. Mason and Fox will be the difference and BBC's record at East Brisbane is not good. Churchie by 15

TSS at home should get over NC but it will be a great match, both have everything to lose and NC need to rebound. Should NC get the win then the competition will be anyone's for the taking but TSS will be fresh from the bye and led around the field by Third and Clifton they will probably be too strong at home. TSS by 10

BSHS are running hot and cold but should be able to account for Ippy. The battle of the 10's will determine this one but it could really go either way. I'm liking the home side here but this could be the upset of the round. Still, BSHS by 3

The final match between TGS and GT is a tough one and could be the spoon decider. The red & black army have a solid side and will like their chances in the forwards but must not underestimate TGS out wide. It should be a close game but Tennyson could prove the difference, GT by 12.

BGS to smash D'lands. 30+

Light it's too early in the week to be making picks in this competition I think. 90% of so called tipsters got burnt last week including myself!

BGS let me down badly, but credit to the T-Ba boys for bouncing back from a couple of touch ups.

IGS couldn't do it at home, which is a real worry and shows the GT boys have more fight in them they look - as usual.

And Churchie are fast becoming the French of GPS rugby, because you never know which Churchie team will actually show up! Well done to them for sticking it right up Nudgee at home!

The only one I got right was the College over State High. From what I hear the Toowong lads have it in them to give Churchie a real run, but need the basics sorted. And State High will NOT finished last.

I think we'll all need some intel before we commit to our tips this week!

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I have just confirmed (from scores published by both schools) that the score in the trial was BGS 26 def DC 19 (four tries to three).

Both schools have also published the fixtures for this weekend with 1st XV, 2nd XV and 3rd XV teams listed to play.

Those who saw the Second XV match during the trial have said that there was no such "all out brawl" and that the fights you describe were little more than a couple of push and shoves.

I think you need some new sources!!!

Pfft! Downlands never had a chance to win the game, my score reflected what the game felt like, not what the actual scoreline was. I'm pretty sure Downlands scored a consolation try anyway (please don't hold me to that)

Grammar hasn't posted anything, and generally tend not to until Thursday. Can't speak for Downlands, however.

And finally, and most importantly, in the seconds game I think my sources are fine. Not sure if my description was too subtle, but I was the BGS carded player. May or may not have taken some liberties in the description. It sure felt like an all out brawl

tripod

Stan Wickham (3)
Have to wonder how badly the loss of Morrey hurt BGS, losing a key forward is one of the worst things for a side (note the return of MacMillan and ACGS turn of fortune - obviously there's more to it than that but you get the point).

'Light' please see NC and Churchie team lists posted previously. MacMillan did not play for Churchie against NC on Saturday, still out with injury. #10 Mack Mason Captained the side.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Interesting RE Mclean and the seconds.. I think he bears a lot of similarities to Rod Davies. Blinding pace, fantastic eye for a gap but shitty d etc.

I still think he should be in the team. He will be there to finish off a linebreak and like davies at the Reds will just finish a lot of shit off compared to what he leaks in. When Davies came back to the Reds this year his combo with Cooper scored a few tries more and gave them another explosive dimension. I see that happening with Mclean.

Obviously hopeful for a BBC victory v ACGS this weekend but I can't see it happening unless they stop conceding soft tries / set piece issues as well.

Also does anyone want a write up of that game? I am going to go and watch and I don't think there was a write up of last weeks game so I'm happy to do it

RunDMC

Frank Row (1)
Something a lot of people have not alluded to in the, undoubtedly extremely impressive win for ACGS on Saturday, was the fact that NC dropped the ball 4 times over the line. That is no exagerration because I was standing there for 3 of them in the 2nd half. There was one in the first half.
The big difference in the game from my point of view was the 13 channel for ACGS where their #13 absolutely dominated a very narrow defence shorn of Campbell Magnay. That is where ACGS got all of their dividends. ACGS struggled up front in the scrum and lineout immensely against a much stronger pack but it was their centre combo that were the difference.
The #13 despite not being very big was so impressive. His opposite number allowed him the outside every time and he lapped it up and tore them to shreds.
The final try for ACGS was one of the best I have seen for years, right on the buzzer and all the NC supporters graciously applauded it. It was a magnificent score. A length of the field effort.
It was an odd game to be honest because NC did a lot of the attacking especially in the Churchie half but any turnovers were booted down field (with the 2nd half breeze) and NC just kept doing the same thing over and over again...and then they would knock the ball on over the line after 7/8 phases of pick and drive, and the cycle just kept repeating itself.
The conclusion obviously being...Churchie were decisively far more clinical. Their tries were from distance off 2nd/3rd phase play.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Something a lot of people have not alluded to in the, undoubtedly extremely impressive win for ACGS on Saturday, was the fact that NC dropped the ball 4 times over the line. That is no exagerration because I was standing there for 3 of them in the 2nd half. There was one in the first half.
The big difference in the game from my point of view was the 13 channel for ACGS where their #13 absolutely dominated a very narrow defence shorn of Campbell Magnay. That is where ACGS got all of their dividends. ACGS struggled up front in the scrum and lineout immensely against a much stronger pack but it was their centre combo that were the difference.
The #13 despite not being very big was so impressive. His opposite number allowed him the outside every time and he lapped it up and tore them to shreds.
The final try for ACGS was one of the best I have seen for years, right on the buzzer and all the NC supporters graciously applauded it. It was a magnificent score. A length of the field effort.
It was an odd game to be honest because NC did a lot of the attacking especially in the Churchie half but any turnovers were booted down field (with the 2nd half breeze) and NC just kept doing the same thing over and over again.and then they would knock the ball on over the line after 7/8 phases of pick and drive, and the cycle just kept repeating itself.
The conclusion obviously being.Churchie were decisively far more clinical. Their tries were from distance off 2nd/3rd phase play.

I counted 5 knock ons. The Nudgee halfback Eli Pilz is not up to First XV

standard in my opinion. The ball is not getting out to Tuttle fast enough.

Mack Mason's no look flick pass was freakish. That final try was the best

I've seen since Elton Flately was at Nudgee.

After having their pants pulled down by Churchie, the blue white blue will

be out for redemption this week-end. TSS are not invincible.

RunDMC

Frank Row (1)
I counted 5 knock ons. The Nudgee halfback Eli Pilz is not up to First XV

standard in my opinion. The ball is not getting out to Tuttle fast enough.

Mack Mason's no look flick pass was freakish. That final try was the best

I've seen since Elton Flately was at Nudgee.

After having their pants pulled down by Churchie, the blue white blue will

be out for redemption this week-end. TSS are not invincible.

Apologies I think the one you are talking about is the Alex Mafi one just short and near the posts in the first half. I left that one out as he was short but that is 5 knock ons within reaching distance of the line for sure.

Agree on the #9 his service is too slow and Tuttle was forced into trying to play a big mans game of running everything because they rushed and jammed on him to cut down the threat. He isnt a big guy so it doesn't work. He is an eceptional footballer but no-one took the heat off him at any stage like Magnay does. That checks a rush defence and makes them turn back out instead of turning in all the time just to look after 1 player. it also pulls the distance between 10-12-13 wider. Good on ACGS for sticking to a game plan like that.

10 for Churchie did well to not let him do what BBC allowed him last week.

Magnay is back next week as far as I am aware and that is a massive boost because they struggled in that channel.

It is going to be a huge battle down the coast.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
I will agree that Bowen at flyhalf looked a much more enterprising. and he's no defensive weakness.

There's a big height difference between Swain and Palmer but there will be a need for a solid scrum which for the second week didn't look great until BSHS lost their prop to injury, after which BBC was dominant. Whoever plays lock needs to have a big work rate.

An attacking flyhalf like bowen and a big running 12 like russel will be a perfect combo against churchie, it would see tiaan wilkins come back this week, and into fullback, conrad outside and nanai and edwards on the wings.

And if you're looking for a hard working lock, swain over palmer any day, palmer giving state high some momentum giving away 5 consecutive penalties and Swain with a work rate almost doubling palmers.

Will be a good game at churchie this weeekend

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
The 14Ateams from GT and NC must be brilliant because the BBC 14A team that touched up BSHS in weekend looked red- hot. And the boy on the right wing who scored all the tries is eligible for under 13!
\

BBC have only played NC so far. Nudgee a well drilled / coached team after a poor performance last year. Not that trials mean much, but NC unbeaten so far this year in trials and comp games.

Is the BBC right winger turning 13 this year, or is eligible for u13 as he does not turn 14 until after 1 November?

Changes afoot to amend age group eligibility to actual year you are born and not have the allowance for those in the preceding year born after 1 November. Still to go to a vote of GPS Headmasters I believe.

Monster

Peter Burge (5)
An attacking flyhalf like bowen and a big running 12 like russel will be a perfect combo against churchie, it would see tiaan wilkins come back this week, and into fullback, conrad outside and nanai and edwards on the wings.

And if you're looking for a hard working lock, swain over palmer any day, palmer giving state high some momentum giving away 5 consecutive penalties and Swain with a work rate almost doubling palmers.

Will be a good game at churchie this weeekend

Agree will be a good game at Churchie this weekend. Like Bowen at 10 as he creates more space for the outside runners than Russell. Russell and Quick are also solid defensively. Sounds like they will need to be based on reports of Churchies centres attack recently!

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Reflecting on the results over the last couple of weeks and I am wondering if Nudgee are victims of the fatigue factor. The trip to Japan for the schools tournament was a fantastic opportunity, but now I am wondering if it is biting them on the bum in a big way.

Two months ago in a selection trial (yes I know trials don't count for much and there are lots of variables, but even so) they smashed Churchie on a neutral ground. Now on their home turf where it is notoriously difficult for the visiting team to win, Nudgee get thumped.

Some reports here and from people at the games is that some of the QLD rep players from Nudgee are just not firing at the moment. Where some teams have been training for this since October and November last year, fatigue for 16, 17 and 18 years olds must be taking some toll. And we are only three rounds into the season.

Unfortunately for Nudgee they will not get the benefit of the bye to freshen up as their bye is in the last round.

TSS did not play their any of their First XV last weekend.

GT had four or five of their players resting on the bench when they played Downlands the weekend before they upset IGS.

Or was it just missing Magnay? I doubt it. The school has so much depth, missing one player can't make that much difference.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I think TSS will wallop NC this weekend and then they will have to find a way to keep interest in a season that delivered none of the expectations that had been building quietly for five years.

tripod

Stan Wickham (3)
Probably time to stop looking for excuses and prepare for next week. The fact is that Churchie was the better team. The Churchie backs were far more superior and the forwards more committed.
Trials are just that, an opportunity to trial different players in different positions. The results mean nothing.
Every team are going to have player fatigue and injuries. That's what makes the competition intriguing, the challenge of having all the best players on the field playing their best rugby at the same time.

idaknow

Herbert Moran (7)
Ladder as of round 3.
1st= NC,ACGS,BBC,TSS
5th= BGS,BSHS,GT,TGS
9th= IGS

Round 4 Predictions
TSS over NC by 12
ACGS over BBC by 10
IGS over BSHS by 3
GT over TGS by 8

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Reflecting on the results over the last couple of weeks and I am wondering if Nudgee are victims of the fatigue factor. The trip to Japan for the schools tournament was a fantastic opportunity, but now I am wondering if it is biting them on the bum in a big way.

Two months ago in a selection trial (yes I know trials don't count for much and there are lots of variables, but even so) they smashed Churchie on a neutral ground. Now on their home turf where it is notoriously difficult for the visiting team to win, Nudgee get thumped.

Some reports here and from people at the games is that some of the QLD rep players from Nudgee are just not firing at the moment. Where some teams have been training for this since October and November last year, fatigue for 16, 17 and 18 years olds must be taking some toll. And we are only three rounds into the season.

Unfortunately for Nudgee they will not get the benefit of the bye to freshen up as their bye is in the last round.

TSS did not play their any of their First XV last weekend.

GT had four or five of their players resting on the bench when they played Downlands the weekend before they upset IGS.

Or was it just missing Magnay? I doubt it. The school has so much depth, missing one player can't make that much difference.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I think TSS will wallop NC this weekend and then they will have to find a way to keep interest in a season that delivered none of the expectations that had been building quietly for five years.

I agree with your fatigue factor theory. The Japan Sanix tournament and the Qld / Australian selection trials were just bad timing. NC had six reps. as opposed to Churchie who had one - MacMillian.

Nudgee made a lot of uncharacteristic errors and conceded too many penalties. Mind you, it was a hot day. Maybe, the big guys were feeling the heat. This 2013 First XV are disorganized and lack leadership. Set pieces were poor. In contrast, Churchie were so disciplined and composed. They used to wind to their advantage in the second half. NC self destructed.

I fear TSS will flog NC this Saturday, unless they can pull themselves out of this slumber. Alex Mafi step up and lead the way.

In 2011, NC lost first round match to ACGS on Ross Oval and then went on to win next seven games to claim the premiership. Will history repeat itself :cool:

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Ladder as of round 3.
1st= NC,ACGS,BBC,TSS
5th= BGS,BSHS,GT,TGS
9th= IGS

Round 4 Predictions
TSS over NC by 12
ACGS over BBC by 10
IGS over BSHS by 3
GT over TGS by 8

With some momentum from round 3 id say tgs to get over gt by 10, bbc and acgs will be too close to call whoever wins itll be no more then 7 points, bshs to beat igs once again by 10, and tss to take it at their home against nc by no more then 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.