• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

idaknow

Herbert Moran (7)
So at this stage of the pre-season, from our "expert" posters it seems there are 3 tiers of premiership hopefuls:
Tier 1:
TSS
NC
BSHS

Tier 2:
ACGS
BBC
IGS

Tier 3:
BGS
GT
TGS

Fair call, would maybe swap BSHS with BBC and BGS with IGS respectively. What this post does highlight is the high level of competition in in this years season. Even the "Tier 3" schools listed can easily beat schools listed in "Tier 2 and Tier 1"

BGS obviously with the loss of Greene and other key players are no longer seen as premiership favourites despite last years unnexpected premiership. With that been said, they have maintained quite a few prominent players (Lahekm, Marsedn, Cox etc..) and with whats been said on the forums will have brute force in the forwards and pace in the backs. They are well coached team and lets not forget how they were written of last year...

I think you can safely say the GT have struggled in the past 2 years, mainly due to their apathy towards scholarships. With a change in enrolment policy, they managed to produce a respectable 2012 rugby season, with many narrow defeats. They have a decent team, with losses of Dalgliesh and Sitanelei compensated with Leofa, Te-Rupe and Hiale (can he play GT posters). Maybe the close losses of last year will turn to wins this year..

Not much too be said about TGS as they could actually be a formidable team. Always have great depth. Would love to hear some insight from a Toowoomba supporter!

BigSteve

Herbert Moran (7)
I think you can safely say the GT have struggled in the past 2 years, mainly due to their apathy towards scholarships. With a change in enrolment policy, they managed to produce a respectable 2012 rugby season, with many narrow defeats. They have a decent team, with losses of Dalgliesh and Sitanelei compensated with Leofa, Te-Rupe and Hiale (can he play GT posters). Maybe the close losses of last year will turn to wins this year.

I Haven't heard the official word on Hiale but im quite confident he is able to play, i had a read through the rules on the GPS website (http://www.gpsqld.org.au/) and no where did it mention that a player could not play if he is brought in a term before the season in year 11, although if he was in year 12 it would be a different story. i think the consensus is that it is frowned upon just like masturbating on an airplane. Aswell as this he wouldn't have played in trials if Coach Gibb thought he wasn't going to be able to play. With Hiale and Nikau now in the terrace backline they seem to have some attacking flair which could help close out those close games seen in 2012.

ARU Footy Keen

Frank Row (1)
i am aware there was a lot of boys who wern't playing at the trials because they were injured but from what i saw at tennyson today the team would be as follows, i dont know a lot of names so i am just going to give you the number that they were for there school and others can put names to numbers:

1. BGS 1
2. TSS 2
3. BSHS 3
4. IGS 4
5. BGS 5
6. IGS 20
7. BSHS 7
8. NC 8
9. BSHS 10
10. BBC 10
11. GT 11
12. TSS 12
13. NC 12
14. NC 14
15. BBC 15

Are you forgetting the number 7 for TSS, Luke Papworth is a freak!!!

guildford

Peter Burge (5)
I Haven't heard the official word on Hiale but im quite confident he is able to play, i had a read through the rules on the GPS website (http://www.gpsqld.org.au/) and no where did it mention that a player could not play if he is brought in a term before the season in year 11, although if he was in year 12 it would be a different story. i think the consensus is that it is frowned upon just like masturbating on an airplane. Aswell as this he wouldn't have played in trials if Coach Gibb thought he wasn't going to be able to play. With Hiale and Nikau now in the terrace backline they seem to have some attacking flair which could help close out those close games seen in 2012.

Pretty sure that the 'rule' written or unwritten is that if they are playing open 1st XV they have to be at the school prior to term 1. Think he will be playing U16, but time will tell

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
I think it's too early to be calling who are premiership hopefuls and who will be the cellar dwellers. Everyone is forgetting that these are TRIALS. Schools are still testing potential players to see if they are First XV standard. The competition is also not a '2-horse race'. NC, TSS, ACGS, IGS, BGS and GT all have strong age groups. I'm still not convinced by BSHS; last year they won every trial match including against BGS who ended up winning the premiership.

The point is, all teams except probably BBC, NC and TSS don't have their teams set in stone, and the rest are still trialling players. We won't get a proper look in at how the teams perform to their potential until Round 1. Game of the round, BGS V NC at Northgate.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Well said. High standard of posts coming through( without criticism of schools or players) . But why have most of you written off CEGS.? With 3 from Downlands 2 from St Edmunds plus Parese-- what is missing??

Johnny13

Peter Burge (5)
Churchie would have to be up to be up there this year surely. They had a lot of players missing at trials due to league commitments and injuries. Word has it that Jaidon Schaffer is out for the season and one of the imports is out also.

GPS_rugby

Frank Row (1)
So at this stage of the pre-season, from our "expert" posters it seems there are 3 tiers of premiership hopefuls:
Tier 1:
TSS
NC
BSHS

Tier 2:
ACGS
BBC
GS

Tier 3:
BGS
GT
TGS

move BSHS down to tier 2 and GT up to tier two. but yes as stated before it does look like it is going to be a two horse race between TSS and NC. although after seeing IGS play on the weekend with abit of improvment will see IGS as a very competative side in the GPS compitition this year.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Pretty sure that the 'rule' written or unwritten is that if they are playing open 1st XV they have to be at the school prior to term 1. Think he will be playing U16, but time will tell

If it is the same rule as GPS tennis-then it has already been tested this year in the 1st tennis with the following results:
1)does NOT apply to year 11 playing in firsts;
2)does not apply to full fee paying student in year 12 playing in firsts;
3)DOES apply to year 12 playing in firsts-if they are on any form of bursary or scholarship.
An objection was made to the GPS committee with the above rulings made.The objector and the 2 objectees are all equal first in the tennis with 3 rounds to go..

chips

Stan Wickham (3)
As a relatively new follower of the GPS, does anyone know if points are awarded for a bye?
No points for a bye. Few things on gt. mcnamee has a fractured arm, is out but is still the best open side in comp, as good as Liam gill at same stage. Hiale def can not play this year. I agree, comp to close to call, I think there will be lots teams in it, the winner will def not be undefeated!!!!!

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
Churchie would have to be up to be up there this year surely. They had a lot of players missing at trials due to league commitments and injuries. Word has it that Jaidon Schaffer is out for the season and one of the imports is out also.

My mail is that Schafer ( 2012 1st XV) is out with an ACL injury from the trials and so is Warriner (2012 1st XV) with the same injury from the Xmas holidays. Tanuvasa is on his way back the same sort of injury suffered in game 2 of 2012 season. My tip is respect ACGS this season but their expectations will be the 2014 season when the imports and the 2012 U15A premiers are in year 12. Jones and Gilmour are very experienced and the underperformance of last year I think surprised everyone.

Don't write off TGS - on a cold wet, windy day up there with Darling Downs refs, anything can and sometimes does happen. 2012 gave them a lot of belief. NC deserve their early favouritism this year because of their pre season shake out at the Sanix tournament but other trials will make more sense - only one game in a day and other teams all better for the hit out at GT last week witht heir match fitness. I still think TSS are the ones to beat.

PS. My old mate GSP might like to know that ACGS haven't been called CEGS since the late 80's/early 90's........and I'm the old guy??

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
1stxv trial for Saturday between BBC v GT has been cancelled because they both have a lot of players in 2nd stage of GPS trials.u 13 to 2nds will go ahead.looks like Bowen, McLean and quick all got through to stage 2 even though they did not play play last Saturday ( they all got in last year). Word is Melbourne Storm have really put some work into Mcleans tackling . Up to 5 BBC players from Last Saturday including new fullback fromNZ and Gunter(league ) from nth NSW will play 16s on Saturday as will Hiale for GT

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
TSS would definitely be the favourites. Only beaten by BGS and NC last year, they face both those teams at home- with a returning core squad from 2012. Guttenbiel, Third, Fielea, Russell are the standouts in my opinion. Last year's hooker was a standout in the few games I saw, is he returning?

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
1stxv trial for Saturday between BBC v GT has been cancelled because they both have a lot of players in 2nd stage of GPS trials.u 13 to 2nds will go ahead.looks like Bowen, McLean and quick all got through to stage 2 even though they did not play play last Saturday ( they all got in last year). Word is Melbourne Storm have really put some work into Mcleans tackling . Up to 5 BBC players from Last Saturday including new fullback fromNZ and Gunter(league ) from nth NSW will play 16s on Saturday as will Hiale for GT

This maybe for another thread... But I will mention it here in reply to this post as it highlights the linkages to NRL clubs of many of the new players in the Qld GPS competition. If some of these players who are already on rugby league contracts are in the trials on the representation pathway, why are they being considered at all. At this level, these tournaments and representative competitions are DEVELOPMENT pathways for RUGBY UNION talent. Why would the ARU allow investment of resources into a person who has their pathway already aligned to another competing code.

In the business world, there is no way on this earth would I give work experience to a person who has been given a university scholarship/bursary by a rival business and has been bonded to that business. The people I give work experience to are those that I believe have a future with the business and putting them in the work environment provides an opportunity to ascertain their ability and develop the talent. I see it as an investment that the business will receive a return on if/when we employ that person that we have seen in action close up. And why should another business reap the benefit and increased returns on this investment?

I have absolutely no problems with those with league contracts playing in the GPS competition. That is up to the individual schools to decide who comes to their school and represents them. But the minute these people start taking development and representative pathway spots away from others who are "committed" to rugby union, every stakeholder in Rugby Union is robbed as scarce and hard-earned resources are knowingly being invested that will have no medium or long term benefit to the sport.

Water Melon

Frank Row (1)
TSS would definitely be the favourites. Only beaten by BGS and NC last year, they face both those teams at home- with a returning core squad from 2012. Guttenbiel, Third, Fielea, Russell are the standouts in my opinion. Last year's hooker was a standout in the few games I saw, is he returning?

TSS didn't loose to NC last year mate they won 31-19 at ross oval they di however loose to ippy in the opening round, and who is russell?

mbw

Allen Oxlade (6)

Jake Lyon , the hooker was a standout and certainly is!

Papworth was also a standout and there are a few others that will stand up this year for Southport!

Lots of depth at TSS

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
TSS didn't loose to NC last year mate they won 31-19 at ross oval they di however loose to ippy in the opening round, and who is russell?

My bad. But I guess it strengthens my prediction. The bulk of TSS's 2013 has already beaten Nudgee away from home. There's no reason they shouldn't improve with a home ground advantage.

And Isaac Nathan, not Russell. I must have been thinking of Nate Russell from BBC (I think). My mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.