• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)

This has to be the most entertaining GPS banter ever. Four minutes of absolute gold from TSS in 2007.

The Nudgee Polar Bear raids the Kooga Factory on the Gold Coast, and steals the Southport jersey. A man, who I can only assume is the First XV coach or the head of rugby at TSS, chases him down to steal back Southport's pride.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Saw the list
Just saw the Bbc list.Looks like Barker has put his A team on 1st bar a bit of tweaking with a few positions and has done the changes in the second 1/4.

Can you share the list. smith, Foulds , Christianson , Jerumi, Veravis etc are all out .
Is Ikatou back from Qld league camp?

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
Can you share the list. smith, Foulds , Christianson , Jerumi, Veravis etc are all out .
Is Ikatou back from Qld league camp?
How is the front row:
RE:my prediction of Kahn Helms, Kareem Tuuga, Luke Peterson: three big strong and experienced 18 yr olds. ('They' say- "the first player you pick in any team should be the tight-head, the second is the reserve tight head") The size, strength and experience of the front row really lays the platform for the rest of the team.

NextPropModel

Frank Nicholson (4)
How is the front row:
RE:my prediction of Kahn Helms, Kareem Tuuga, Luke Peterson: three big strong and experienced 18 yr olds. ('They' say- "the first player you pick in any team should be the tight-head, the second is the reserve tight head") The size, strength and experience of the front row really lays the platform for the rest of the team.

Reliable source informs me Helms is only 17

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
None of the 1st choice centres are playing.Smith is in camp with Qld league . Jerumi and Folds are injured.16A centres from last year will start .helms is 18 this year.

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)
13. Liam JURD Toowoomba Grammar School -> UQ Colts
14. Campbell MAGNAY St Joseph’s Nudgee College -> GPS Colts
15. Joshua BOWEN-BOWYER Brisbane Boys College -> Broncos, Rugby League

Are you sure Magnay is not repeating.
A reliable source told me:
1)Magnay is repeating;
2) Rees Hewit will be best forward in the comp;
3) Mafi at 18 with an Aussie Schoolboys tour behind him will be the 2nd best forward in the comp.

Nudgee are building.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Are you sure Magnay is not repeating.
A reliable source told me:
1)Magnay is repeating;
2) Rees Hewit will be best forward in the comp;
3) Mafi at 18 with an Aussie Schoolboys tour behind him will be the 2nd best forward in the comp.

Nudgee are building.

1) Magnay isn't repeating, he's been tearing up for GPS in Colts this year. You can read up - http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/qld-colts-2014.13555/page-14 - here for more news on his progress.
2) Hewat may well be. There will be same stiff competition though - PJ Vandenburg from TSS, Isaac Rodda from IGS, Angus Scott-Young from ACGS, even Ben Gunter from BBC has a chance to prove himself the best.
3) BUT, my pick is that Mafi will be the best forward in the comp. Provided he doesn't go missing during games (as he had a tendency to do) he's my bet for most likely to succeed at the next level.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Just got news that Isaac Rodda is out for 8 weeks with a fractured tibia. I make that a mid july comeback. Rodda will miss Schoolboy trials

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)
The King said
"Hewat may well be. There will be same stiff competition though - PJ Vandenburg from TSS, Isaac Rodda from IGS, Angus Scott-Young from ACGS, even Ben Gunter from BBC has a chance to prove himself the best."

So Phillpotts (BBC ) & Wallace (TSS )are the new Aussie Schoolboy coaches.Lets hope they can continue the dominance over NZ schools.

As for Gunter-he is huge.I would not like to see him running off the back of a scrum at me.
AS Phillpotts said the other day"he is a bigger, stronger, faster version of Lolo Fakilosea.(Given Lolo is the youngest person in the Aussie under 20 squad-that is a big wrap)
AND........ he is only in grade 11!

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just got news that Isaac Rodda is out for 8 weeks with a fractured tibia. I make that a mid july comeback. Rodda will miss Schoolboy trials

That's a big loss for IGS, to have one of their senior forwards out for the start of the season. Unlucky for himself being his last season of schoolboy rugby. A loss for qld rugby too, are there any other locks that would take Rodda's place in qld schoolboys 1?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
That's a big loss for IGS, to have one of their senior forwards out for the start of the season. Unlucky for himself being his last season of schoolboy rugby. A loss for qld rugby too, are there any other locks that would take Rodda's place in qld schoolboys 1?

Plenty. Darcy Swain (BBC) would be my pick based on 2013 form to partner Angus Scott-Young in Rodda's absence, but Tuaina Tuilima (#6 BSHS), or Jeremy Gimpel (#5/#6 ACGS) should be in the frame as well. Noise from the NC camp indicates Reece Hewat will be moved to 8 this year, but he could very capably fill in at 4 if selectors decide to go that way, having started at 4 for Queensland I in 2013 - but I suspect he'll be there at 8. George Cox, the 2013 number 8 from GT is also apparently being considered at lock, so he could be an option as well.

Depth in the row won't be an issue, but Rodda was the best man for the job. Hopefully he'll still make the squad on reputation alone, though...

I thought the first games were on July 26, meaning Rodda won't miss a fixture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leftrightout

Stan Wickham (3)
Plenty. Darcy Swain (BBC) would be my pick based on 2013 form to partner Angus Scott-Young in Rodda's absence, but Tuaina Tuilima (#6 BSHS), or Jeremy Gimpel (#5/#6 ACGS) should be in the frame as well. Noise from the NC camp indicates Reece Hewat will be moved to 8 this year, but he could very capably fill in at 4 if selectors decide to go that way, having started at 4 for Queensland I in 2013 - but I suspect he'll be there at 8. George Cox, the 2013 number 8 from GT is also apparently being considered at lock, so he could be an option as well.

Depth in the row won't be an issue, but Rodda was the best man for the job. Hopefully he'll still make the squad on reputation alone, though.

I thought the first games were on July 26, meaning Rodda won't miss a fixture

From all reports Swain got benched after two games in Sydney last year...was said he goes down to easy in the tackles and runs one out and turns the ball over.
From all reports did the same thing at the internal trials last week..
Leyland will be the the pick lock for Qld,has plenty of ticker and hits hard in defence and will go the full distance,doesn't go missing during the game.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
From all reports Swain got benched after two games in Sydney last year.was said he goes down to easy in the tackles and runs one out and turns the ball over.
From all reports did the same thing at the internal trials last week..
Leyland will be the the pick lock for Qld,has plenty of ticker and hits hard in defence and will go the full distance,doesn't go missing during the game.

Was Swain or Leyland the tall one?

EDIT: Was Leyland the taller of the two?

Coogee Boy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Word from the Grammar v College trail is that it was a miss-match. BBC started pulling many of their starters early after the first few tries.... College made almost as many meters in defense as they did in attack.
College scrum should have been awarded a number of penalties after Grammar kept popping. Grammar capitulated in the scrum barely able to hold College weight while waiting for the feed.
Only shining light of the Blues was the 12 who was hard to contain.
Gunter terrorised for BBC, came of at 1/4 time. College backs were incisive, always making ground. 5 tries to 0 before the whole bench was run on.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Word from the Grammar v College trail is that it was a miss-match. BBC started pulling many of their starters early after the first few tries.. College made almost as many meters in defense as they did in attack.
College scrum should have been awarded a number of penalties after Grammar kept popping. Grammar capitulated in the scrum barely able to hold College weight while waiting for the feed.
Only shining light of the Blues was the 12 who was hard to contain.
Gunter terrorised for BBC, came of at 1/4 time. College backs were incisive, always making ground. 5 tries to 0 before the whole bench was run on.

You're talking BBC up quite a bit...

Gunter wasn't that impressive IMO, looked a bit slow. 15 for BBC was good. Centre pairing combination for BGS was lethal, with Eddie McCorley (12) and Michael Wolstenholme (13) making the majority of the metres for BGS. BGS defence was impressive, considering they were camped on their own line for quite a bit. BGS also missing a few players such as Forsyth, Sly and Dooley. Doesn't look that bad for BGS after all...

Other trial results? (GT vs Downlands?)

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
You're talking BBC up quite a bit.

Gunter wasn't that impressive IMO, looked a bit slow. 15 for BBC was good. Centre pairing combination for BGS was lethal, with Eddie McCorley (12) and Michael Wolstenholme (13) making the majority of the metres for BGS. BGS defence was impressive, considering they were camped on their own line for quite a bit. BGS also missing a few players such as Forsyth, Sly and Dooley. Doesn't look that bad for BGS after all.

Other trial results? (GT vs Downlands?)

Word I got was :
1) 6 tries to 1 it was 5tries to nil while 1sts and 2nds were playing:
2) BBC scrum bashed them:
3) 2 league stars from both teams were out. Also BBC had Foulds, Christianson, Veravis,Jerumi out:
4) Tauuga made a good fist of his first game at 2

Status
Not open for further replies.