• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack07

Chris McKivat (8)
Tough match at Toowong today .
BBC with 13 out in rep or injury beat TSS 34 to 19 .
12 all at half time .i counted 10 boys from under 16 on the field
BBC boys look very fit. But another bad injury . This time to Palmer.
BBC also won 15 a and 13 A . Not sure about other age groups.
Very impressed with the young under 16 props at BBC
Stead ( under 16's)played well on the wing scoring 2 tries and 4 conversions 2 out wide 1 from either side.All the 16's stood up with BBC having a lot more out than TSS .
The training seems to be working for pre-season at BBC

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Queensland Schools 1
1. Gavin LUKA, St Joseph’s Nudgee College
2. Alex MAFI, St Joseph’s Nudgee College
3. Shambeckler VUI, Ipswich Grammar School
4. Darcy TAIMUA-SWAIN, Brisbane Boys College
5. Reece HEWAT, St Joseph’s Nudgee College
6. Tuaina TUALIMA, Brisbane State High School
7. Connor MORONEY, St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace
8. Harley FOX, Anglican Church Grammar School
9. Harry NUCIFORA, Anglican Church Grammar School
10. Alex HORAN, St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace
11. Joey FITTOCK, The Southport School
12. Calvin PRITCHARD, St Joseph’s Nudgee College
13. Dean BENDER, Toowoomba Grammar School
14. Sam EDWARDS, Brisbane Boys College
15. Clifton SETU, St Edmund’s College

16. Josvyn SOKIMI, Ipswich Grammar School
17. Joshua TAYLOR, The Southport School
18. Peter FLITCROFT, Pacific Lutheran College
19. Daniel BYRNE, Marist College Ashgrove
20. Jack FARRELL, Brisbane Boys College
21. Harry PARCELL, Ipswich Grammar School
22. Fred DORROUGH, The Southport School
23. Tyrone SOUTHORN, Brisbane State High School

Manager. Noel GARDNER, St Edmund’s College
Coach. Carl MARSHALL, Brisbane Grammar School
Asst Coach. Michael CRANK, Mt Maria College
Physio. Ian ASTBURY

Queensland Schools 2

1. Richie ASIATA, Anglican Church Grammar School
2. Josh WEBB, Anglican Church Grammar School
3. James McCOLL, Toowoomba Grammar School
4. Dylan LEYLAND, Brisbane Boys College
5. Jacob ELORDI, St Joseph’s Nudgee College
6. Angus SCOTT- YOUNG, Anglican Church Grammar School
7. PJ VAN DEN BERG, The Southport School
8. Agassi STOWERS, St Joseph’s Nudgee College
9. Eli PILZ, St Joseph’s Nudgee College
10. Liam McNAMARA, Brisbane State High School
11. Tyrone HUSSEY, St Joseph’s Nudgee College
12. Matthew SMIT, Brisbane State High School
13. Jim HENJAK, Brisbane State High School
14. Christopher AFAMASAGA, St Francis College
15. Geoffrey ROBERTSON, Ipswich Grammar School

16. Jordan TUPAI - UI, St Columban’s College
17. Johann KOORTS, Brisbane State High School
18. Luke PETERSON, Brisbane Boys College
19. Masi GANITA, Sunnybank State High School
20. Liam WRIGHT, Anglican Church Grammar School
21. Reuben WALL, St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace
22. Brock McNULTY, St Edmund’s College
23. Kailab COVENTRY, Kirwan State High School

Manager. Ben CAMERON, Kingston State College
Coach. David COOKE, Cleveland State High School
Asst Coach. Mark MOXON, Ignatius Park College
Physio. Joel McPHEE

Stillnoidea

Peter Burge (5)
Didn't think Asiata (1- GPS1) did that much, Wall (9 - GPS3) didn't play either day (subbed by Dempsey - originally 21 GPS1, who went alright), thought the Ganita (4) from CCS trialed as well as any other, thought Te Rupe (13 - GPS 2) has been extremely hard done by, thought Helms (16 - GPS 2) did well when on, thought Peterson (3 - GPS3) out scrummed all the other 3's, but maybe a question mark over his fitness?
On the other hand, Fox & Luka were outstanding.

GPS Rugby Pro

Frank Row (1)
Inside centres are supposed to be a hard position to make it in.
Calvin Pritchard is a good choice for QLD 1.
But Matthew Smit for GPS 3, he was a bad choice.
He was a ball hog, with many missed tackles.
Him even as reserve for QLD 2 would have been a bad choice.
Now he is starting, thats 1 problem selectors/coaches have made already.
Without the carnival even being played
Would have been much better with Hiale Roycroft in the mix or maybe his companion Nikau
But definatley not Matthew Smit
Bad choice
At the end of the day, Smit should not have made it.

Knockon

Bob McCowan (2)
I'm surprised Te Rupe and Roycroft werent the centres the for Qld2 or at least on the bench for Qld1.
GPS numbers
NC 8
IGS 4
BBC 5
BSHS 6
CHURCHIE 5
TSS 4
TGS 2
GT 3
BGS 0

I would of only picked 3 from state high

JacPrinceTell

Frank Row (1)
Didn't think Asiata (1- GPS1) did that much, Wall (9 - GPS3) didn't play either day (subbed by Dempsey - originally 21 GPS1, who went alright), thought the Ganita (4) from CCS trialed as well as any other, thought Te Rupe (13 - GPS 2) has been extremely hard done by, thought Helms (16 - GPS 2) did well when on, thought Peterson (3 - GPS3) out scrummed all the other 3's, but maybe a question mark over his fitness?

Fox was quality, but in what way Luka outstanding? He ran the ball well, granted, but he came on yesterday, against a tiring GPS 3 pack, scrummaged against a hooker and didn't dominate him once, in fact it looked like he was beaten a few times, hardly hit a ruck or made a tackle. However I do agree with you argument with Dempsey, Te Rupe, Petersen and Asiata. I think you are 100% accurate with what you said about all of them.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Am I the only one who finds Te Rupe's apparent lack of knowledge on how to pass a ball extremely frustrating? I've seen him butcher countless line breaks, if not tries, from not passing it into space and instead taking it himself.

Coogee Boy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Fox was quality, but in what way Luka outstanding? He ran the ball well, granted, but he came on yesterday, against a tiring GPS 3 pack, scrummaged against a hooker and didn't dominate him once, in fact it looked like he was beaten a few times, hardly hit a ruck or made a tackle. However I do agree with you argument with Dempsey, Te Rupe, Petersen and Asiata. I think you are 100% accurate with what you said about all of them.
I must admit it did look suspicious sending Luka on in the second half- he only face two scrums against a tiring Petersen and was lifted in one and pushed back in another- both before Peterson came off. It was disappointing the selectors sheltered their GPS 1 front row from, what looked to me to be, the real no. 1 front row (GPS3)

NextPropModel

Frank Nicholson (4)

Agree with all except Luka. I might be blind, but I didn't see him do much at all. He ran the ball, but he did nothing at the breakdown, and it seems another one through on reputation. In fact, in the first game GPS 2 played on Friday night, the scrum was shocking, and only redeemed itself once they brought the 2 reserves props on - 16 Helms - BBC, and 18 Ball TSS.

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
Agree with all except Luka. I might be blind, but I didn't see him do much at all. He ran the ball, but he did nothing at the breakdown, and it seems another one through on reputation. In fact, in the first game GPS 2 played on Friday night, the scrum was shocking, and only redeemed itself once they brought the 2 reserves props on - 16 Helms - BBC, and 18 Ball TSS.
Agreed, in fact why didn't the selectors put the starting GPS1 front row on against GPS3? Luka, Mafi and Vui never had to give account of themselves against the boys who appeared suspiciously like the best scrum at the trials.

underdone

Peter Burge (5)
Agreed, in fact why didn't the selectors put the starting GPS1 front row on against GPS3? Luka, Mafi and Vui never had to give account of themselves against the boys who appeared suspiciously like the best scrum at the trials.

Not only the best scrum, If gps 3 had of played gps2 they would have come out on top and if all the players had stayed in gps3, i doubt very much if Gps 1 would have come out on top.

NextPropModel

Frank Nicholson (4)

Very valid points. My point also, that the reserve props for GPS 2 out scrummed the run on, albeit against a very weak team, but the scrum was much steadier with Helms and Ball on. Would've been nice to see them against GPS 1 or 3. GPS 3 may have looked dominant because they also were against much weaker scrums. The whole selection process seems questionable to me.

Desle Aslo

Bob McCowan (2)
Inside centres are supposed to be a hard position to make it in.
Calvin Pritchard is a good choice for QLD 1.
But Matthew Smit for GPS 3, he was a bad choice.
He was a ball hog, with many missed tackles.
Him even as reserve for QLD 2 would have been a bad choice.
Now he is starting, thats 1 problem selectors/coaches have made already.
Without the carnival even being played
Would have been much better with Hiale Roycroft in the mix or maybe his companion Nikau
But definatley not Matthew Smit
Bad choice
At the end of the day, Smit should not have made it.

I'd thought Hiale Roycroft would have actually been considered a QLD 2 Centre position, His performance yesterday against Calvin Pritchard and Dean Bender was great. On two or three occasions he even broke through their two solid defence and breaking their line, and was solid in containing those two as well.

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
Not only the best scrum, If gps 3 had of played gps2 they would have come out on top and if all the players had stayed in gps3, i doubt very much if Gps 1 would have come out on top.
Possibly, GPS3 did have a few week spots by the end of the day with some subs not quit up to the game, but their scrum was dominant (two tight head wins straight up). Dempsey organised well, (he'd have to be disappointed at not getting a place in a squad) and I though GPS3 better at the breakdown. It did look to me that GPS1 were more likely to score when they had the ball but that GPS2 won more ball and contested harder for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.