• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
Funny you should mention it..

The criteria I used was the team had to have graduated post 1995 (professionalism), and I picked as much super rugby and Wallaby quality as I could, regardless of schoolboy form. Some may see that as cheating, but as I never got a chance to see players prior to 2009 I felt I just couldn't comment.

Queensland GPS XV 1995-2013

You're ahead of the game...love it. That is some team with Barnes/Flatley not starting

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Nick Cornish played for the terrace first 15 once in 1997 as 14 year old, then 3 years of full first 15 after that

Had a reds contract, was playing first grade as an 18 year old. Had 2 horrible knee injuries and he couldn't take anymore rugby. Was a freak

Cornish did not play until '98, although he did play for 3 years & graduated in 2000. Matt Edwards was the flyhalf & backed by u16a player Sam Bongers.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Funny you should mention it..

A few weeks ago I tried to get in contact with LG (who runs all the NSW Coverage) to organise a QLD v NSW All-Stars post for the front page.

LG wasn't interested, but I went ahead and made a team anyway and have been saving it up for a special occasion.

The criteria I used was the team had to have graduated post 1995 (professionalism), and I picked as much super rugby and Wallaby quality as I could, regardless of schoolboy form. Some may see that as cheating, but as I never got a chance to see players prior to 2009 I felt I just couldn't comment.

Queensland GPS XV 1995-2013

1. James Slipper, Reds (The Southport School, 2007)
2. Steven Moore, Brumbies (Brisbane Grammar School, 2000)
3. Paul Alo'Emile, Rebels (Brisbane State High School, 2009)
4. James Horwill, Reds (Brisbane Boys College, 2002)
5. Nathan Sharpe, Reds/Force (The Southport School, 1995)
6. Rocky Elsom, Waratahs/Brumbies (Nudgee, 2000)
7. David Pocock, Force/Brumbies (Churchie, 2005)
8. Scott Higginbotham, Reds/Rebels (The Southport School, 2004)
09. Will Genia, Reds (Brisbane Boys College, 2005)
10. Quade Cooper, Reds (Churchie, 2006)
11. Digby Ioane, Reds (Gregory Terrace, 2002)
12. Matt To'omua, Brumbies (Brisbane State High, 2007)
13. Chris Feaui-Sautia, Reds (Brisbane State High, 2009)
14. James O'Connor, Force/Rebels (Nudgee, 2007)
15. Peter Hynes, Reds (Brisbane State High, 2000)

16. James Hanson, Reds (Gregory Terrace, 2005)
17. Albert Anae, Reds (Ipswich Grammar, 2006)
18. Ruan Smith, Brumbies (Toowoomba Grammar, 2007)
19. Hugh McMeniman, Reds/Force (Nudgee, 2001)
20. Liam Gill, Reds (Gregory Terrace, 2009)
21. Ben Lucas, Reds (Gregory Terrace, 2005)
22. Elton Flatley, Reds (Nudgee, 1995)
23. Joe Tomane, Brumbies (Nudgee, 2007)

Special mentions to Richard Brown, Force (Nudgee, 2001); Berrick Barnes Reds/Waratahs (Ipswich, 2003); Angus Cotterel Waratahs/Force (BBC, 2007)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would've thought Mark Chisholm with 50x caps for the Wallabies deserved to be in the 23.

Sean Hardman as the most capped Reds forward? Did he finish in '95 or earlier?

Pretty certain Flatley's effort are well above To'omua's at this stage.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Would've thought Mark Chisholm with 50x caps for the Wallabies deserved to be in the 23.

Other notable absentees Ben Tapuai, Dom Shipperly, Rodney Davis and David Croft

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)

Hardman finished in 1994, so sadly ineligible. He certainly would have been in the 23.

It came down to personal choice between Chisholm and McMeniman for the bench lock spot, and for me the Madness in his prime won out by a whisker (maybe an element of bias, I know the family). Horwill and Sharpe in their prime both deserved to start IMO.

A google tells me Elton started 20 tests for the Wallabies, and the split was 11 tests at 12, and 9 at 10. He started in the 2003 final at 12, so on that you're probably right. To'omua to the bench, Flatley to start. In my defence I always remembered him as a 10

Other notable absentees Ben Tapuai, Dom Shipperly, Rodney Davis and David Croft

You'd be hard pressed to include Taps, Shipperly, and Davies. Croft merits a bench spot in favour of Liam Gill on the

NextPropModel

Frank Nicholson (4)
Officially a cracked sternum with a bruised heart.

The sternum injury alone has 2-12 months recovery time post op, which I believe he may have already had.

No operation for Gunter. Sternum not cracked, only bruised, and no damage/bruising to heart. No games now until the season begins, so time to heal.

NextPropModel

Frank Nicholson (4)
From BBC-
Gunther appears certainly out.
Christianson (tight head- GPS 3 Res) didn't train with GPS on Sunday- seems to have a broken hand.
Peterson, (tight head) the only survivor from the ill-fated 2012 BBC 1st XV , was back training with GPS 3 and looks like playing in the State trials.
Tuuga (Hooker/flanker? GPS 2 Res): on crutches, will probably miss the trials but it doesn't look to serious.
Lazarus is risen, haven't heard details of why he's not training.
I have heard that the fitness regime has taken it's toll on some of the big boys, with lack of recovery time before trials causing some concern.

Lazarus is 3rd choice tighthead after Peterson and Christianson. Hasn't been to any fitness all term, so doubtful he would meet the First XV standards.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
You'd be hard pressed to include Taps, Shipperly, and Davies. Croft merits a bench spot in favour of Liam Gill on the

Not that i was saying they should be in the team, but I would have Davies in front of Tomane and you obviously rate Sautu's career to date higher than I do, don't see much between him and Taps myself SO FAR , I'd keep Gill though.

Always thought that Ruan Smith was a Saffer

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
No operation for Gunter. Sternum not cracked, only bruised, and no damage/bruising to heart. No games now until the season begins, so time to heal.

"I have cracks in my Sturnm and my hearts bruised" - Ben Gunter, 15 June

sportshq

Frank Row (1)
GPS 3
1. Josvyn SOKIMI, IGS
2. Josh TAYLOR, TSS
3. Luke PETERSEN, BBC
4. James GALL, ACGS
5. Nick JEFFRIES, NC
6. Agassi STOWERS, NC
7. PJ VAN DEN BERG, TSS
8. Matt FEAUAI-SAUTIA, BSHS
9. Reuben WALL, GT
10. Fred DORROUGH, TSS
11. Quillan PRITCHARD-MALAKI, GT
12. Matt SMIT, BSHS
13. Eddie McCORLEY, BGS
14. Tyrone HUSSEY, NC
15. Ashton WATSON, TGS

16. Connor CHRISTENSEN, BBC
17. Robbie McCAFFERTY, NC
18. Joel KUCHEL, ACGS
19. Ben GUNTER, BBC
20. Braden SCHILLER, IGS
21. Tim SIPPLE, BSHS
22. Hamish STEWART, TGS
23. Brendon DANN, TGS

Edit: Format changes by Mod

Seems like a solid team, any reason why Matt Smit is at 12? couldn't GPS find anyone better than him?

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)
Another Qld boy lost.!!!

Rebels Sign Placid

19 year old Jonah Placid will leave the Queensland Reds after he signed a 2 year deal with the Melbourne Rebels. Placid has been a top performer for the Australian under 20's and Australian schoolboys in recent years. Rebels coach Tony McGahan was excited about the signing.

“Jonah is certainly one of the most exciting back three players to go through the Australian Schoolboys system and Australian U20s in the last period of time, and we’re delighted to secure his signature”

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Eddie McCorley has pulled out of trials for the weekend to deal with some personal issues. Not sure when (or if) he'll return.

Nudgee Jackson Tame

Bob McCowan (2)
Could not agree more. very average player.

Ahhh mate, i think the old Matt Smitt's a great player. He's on the way up and can see a lot of potential in the kid. He's got solid D and can create opportunities for his outside backs as all good 12's do. In my opinion he's a standout in the state high team and i look forward to seeing how the young lad pulls up during the season. He reminds me of the great Andrew Kelleway from Scots college ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.