• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Smith

Frank Nicholson (4)
I ended up at that Ashgrove v St Peters game.good game dominated by the Ashgrove pack. Second rower Byrne for Ashgrove and Setu (fullback) from Ipswich are supposed to be the 2 favorites for Qld schools from AIC. Look for them when GPS v AIC on Friday nite

This will give you an idea...he is one of the best (if not the best) players in the AIC. Will be interesting to see how he goes against the GPS.

alvin purple

Stan Wickham (3)
I think tribalism is not limited to any school. in the meantime I'm looking forward to an exciting season and perhaps a broadening in the power base of GPS rugby, with both Ippy (though there is questions on their depth) and BBC looking like they could mount a serious challenge for the title.
Monday's Expert, Yesterday at 8:01 PM Report
Mr Expert
I agree with you.If IGS & BSHS can keep there number 1 teams on the field they will be very very competitive.
As for BBC -is this 2012 again???
Is that 7 or 8 players injured?-there are moon boots everywhere.
And what the hell is wrong with Lazarus?He should be pushing for the 1st xv -but he has not even trained.I saw the" brick with eyes down at training "-so something is going on.
Is Gunther out for the season?.

Lazo will be out for three weeks, he got a red card on saturday night for throwing up in the back of Clive's Phantom, after having to much pink lemonade at the formal.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
By that, I think you are saying he is the first u15 player from year 10 to be getting a run in a First XV for a while. Most other yr10 players in recent years have been u16. It would be interesting to know last couple of 15 year olds to get a run in any First XV. I can think of some from the 90's but that is ancient history.

Dark, in the mid - late 90's IGS had a player - Nathan MacNabb - who played 5 years of 1st XV, starting in Year 8. Yes..... Year 8. This was obviously before this ridiculous 2 year window crap. Any worries about him were dispelled when as a year 8, he tackled a Year 12 opponent in a trial and broke the guy's collarbone. Good enough is old enough for me and should still be. Nathan was an Australian 100m champ at primary school level and a year older than his cohort. He started as a reserve for the 1st XV and eventually completed the season as a winger in his own right. He played wing again in Year 9, then played in centre in year 10 where he represented Q schools. He stayed at in centre for the next two years and was 1st XV captain in his senior year. It was said that his association with junior Broncos sides during the super league nonsense was the reason he did not go further in schools rep sides and a bias from the incumbent Q schools coach at the time against RL players but from people I know at IGS who reminded me about it, he was very well regarded during his time at the school.

ruckhudson

Peter Burge (5)
i bet there were a few kids who did similar back then maybe not year 8 but from year 9 on. would be good to hear if anyone knows some names and then what become of them as player. i am pretty sure a kid bartholemews did that for state high early 90s but not sure of exact years. Would any kid be good enough now if they allowed???? i doubt it as they didnt do weights and take supplements like they do now back then.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
i bet there were a few kids who did similar back then maybe not year 8 but from year 9 on. would be good to hear if anyone knows some names and then what become of them as player. i am pretty sure a kid bartholemews did that for state high early 90s but not sure of exact years. Would any kid be good enough now if they allowed???? i doubt it as they didnt do weights and take supplements like they do now back then.

I am pretty sure Craig Polla-Mounter played as a true u/15 year 10 student for IGS in the mid-late 80's - played 150+ NRL games.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)

Plenty of legitimate year 10s have done it. Over the years. Even though we're more professional these days I don't think anyone can hold a candle to Browning and F'Sautia as they were playing Aus schools as legitimate u15 year 10s.

Looking back Flatley, Lynagh and Barnes all played from year 9. But there would be dozens of others who never went on and names are lost to the history books.

ruckhudson

Peter Burge (5)
i remember now flatley and bartholemews were the same age group year of 1994 with bart going on to play brumbies flatley reds i think.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Looking back Flatley, Lynagh and Barnes all played from year 9. But there would be dozens of others who never went on and names are lost to the history books.

Pretty sure Lynagh did not play firsts until year 10 he was playing NFL for a school in the US in grade 9 ;-).

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
Plenty of legitimate year 10s have done it. Over the years. Even though we're more professional these days I don't think anyone can hold a candle to Browning and F'Sautia as they were playing Aus schools as legitimate u15 year 10s.

going waay back - Peter Slattery yr 9 BSHS

Reece Hewat NC? not sure thought he was 15 when he made Q1 2013

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
going waay back - Peter Slattery yr 9 BSHS

Reece Hewat NC? not sure thought he was 15 when he made Q1 2013

Again Slatts didn't play firsts until 1980 in his year 10 year (15), lots of grade 9 myths out there, not many if any have played firsts in their under 14 year 9 years.

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
Again Slatts didn't play firsts until 1980 in his year 10 year (15), lots of grade 9 myths out there, not many if any have played firsts in their under 14 year 9 years.

ok...was sure he ran on in yr 9 then broke an arm..may have been yr 10. I would love to have seen Flatley Lynagh & Barnes play school footy.

TheKing should do the definitive GPS All Stars Team - all years

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Thanks Monday's Expert. The question then begs what happened to Nathan MacNabb in his post school sporting endeavours.

Yes, I saw Flatley play in the centres for NC when he was in Year 9 in 1992. He was 15 years old at the time.

The other centre in that 1992 NC team was Brad Condon who was in his final year of school, but was also 15 (Year 10) when he was the starting out centre for the NC Firsts in a Premiership Year.

I remember watching Lynagh play Firsts for three years but believe he was 18 in his final year of school.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
I would love to have seen Flatley Lynagh & Barnes play school footy.

I saw every game Lynagh played for GT, he was amazing, I would say though that in that era the best schoolboy I saw was the fullback from those mighty GT teams Stephen Partridge, father of George from last years GT XV.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
I remember watching Lynagh play Firsts for three years but believe he was 18 in his final year of school.

I think that is right he spent a year in the US with his family around 14/15 and so was year older than most of his class on his return- he definitely played 79-81 in the XV.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
i bet there were a few kids who did similar back then maybe not year 8 but from year 9 on. i doubt it as they didnt do weights and take supplements like they do now back then.

Nick Cornish played for the terrace first 15 once in 1997 as 14 year old, then 3 years of full first 15 after that

Had a reds contract, was playing first grade as an 18 year old. Had 2 horrible knee injuries and he couldn't take anymore rugby. Was a freak

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
TheKing should do the definitive GPS All Stars Team - all years

Funny you should mention it..

A few weeks ago I tried to get in contact with LG (who runs all the NSW Coverage) to organise a QLD v NSW All-Stars post for the front page.

LG wasn't interested, but I went ahead and made a team anyway and have been saving it up for a special occasion.

The criteria I used was the team had to have graduated post 1995 (professionalism), and I picked as much super rugby and Wallaby quality as I could, regardless of schoolboy form. Some may see that as cheating, but as I never got a chance to see players prior to 2009 I felt I just couldn't comment.

Queensland GPS XV 1995-2013

1. James Slipper, Reds (The Southport School, 2007)
2. Steven Moore, Brumbies (Brisbane Grammar School, 2000)
3. Paul Alo'Emile, Rebels (Brisbane State High School, 2009)
4. James Horwill, Reds (Brisbane Boys College, 2002)
5. Nathan Sharpe, Reds/Force (The Southport School, 1995)
6. Rocky Elsom, Waratahs/Brumbies (Nudgee, 2000)
7. David Pocock, Force/Brumbies (Churchie, 2005)
8. Scott Higginbotham, Reds/Rebels (The Southport School, 2004)
09. Will Genia, Reds (Brisbane Boys College, 2005)
10. Quade Cooper, Reds (Churchie, 2006)
11. Digby Ioane, Reds (Gregory Terrace, 2002)
12. Elton Flatley, Reds (Nudgee, 1995)
13. Chris Feaui-Sautia, Reds (Brisbane State High, 2009)
14. James O'Connor, Force/Rebels (Nudgee, 2007)
15. Peter Hynes, Reds (Brisbane State High, 2000)

16. James Hanson, Reds (Gregory Terrace, 2005)
17. Albert Anae, Reds (Ipswich Grammar, 2006)
18. Ruan Smith, Brumbies (Toowoomba Grammar, 2007)
19. Hugh McMeniman, Reds/Force (Nudgee, 2001)/Mark Chisholm, Brumbies (Gregory Terrace, 1998)
20. David Croft, Reds (Gregory Terrace, 1996)
21. Ben Lucas, Reds (Gregory Terrace, 2005)
22. Matt To'omua, Brumbies (Brisbane State High, 2007)
23. Joe Tomane, Brumbies (Nudgee, 2007)

Special mentions to Richard Brown, Force (Nudgee, 2001); Berrick Barnes Reds/Waratahs (Ipswich, 2003); Angus Cotterel Waratahs/Force (BBC, 2007), Liam Gill, Reds (Gregory Terrace, 2009)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Special mentions to Richard Brown, Force (Nudgee, 2001); Berrick Barnes Reds/Waratahs (Ipswich, 2003); Angus Cotterel Waratahs/Force (BBC, 2007)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rudi Vedelago could make the special mentions or even bench good player whose carrier was cut short

QLD GPS certainly is a nice nursery.

Status
Not open for further replies.