• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashFlanker

Herbert Moran (7)
I know that the bshs u/13 a's have won four trials and beat toowoomba grammar and churchie pretty easily in comp. games. The u/13 b's beat tgs 87 nil. In fact i think the a, b and c teams in 13's , 14's and 15's have pretty well won most of there games this season so they must be doing something right.

It's great to have some wins. The great State High as always competitive in As abd Bs. But the question was 'Why nothing below a B team'. The GPS results show State High hasn't had a C game in U13-16 all season. Only five years ago they managed that and more. What's changed? Same applies to IGS too for that matter.

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
It's great to have some wins. The great State High as always competitive in As abd Bs. But the question was 'Why nothing below a B team'. The GPS results show State High hasn't had a C game in U13-16 all season. Only five years ago they managed that and more. What's changed? Same applies to IGS too for that matter.

I know that state high has a big focus on academic results and they also seem to have a large asian population at the school. I do not know why the state high u/13 c team is not showing on the gps page because i have been watching them since the start of the season.

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
I know that state high has a big focus on academic results and they also seem to have a large asian population at the school. I do not know why the state high u/13 c team is not showing on the gps page because i have been watching them since the start of the season.
Maybe you need to look beyond the results and amount of teams, and look to the results of the 1st xv and the amount of support on the sidelines for their first team at games. It's like trying to attract players to the cronulla. I did hear second hand that there is a new guy doing some work with talent ID some they may turn it around in a few years..... But I agree if the school focus is on academinc and doesn't have a balanced approached to education then welcome to the bottom of the table for ever. We should all want a stronger comp. As part of watching the BBC community you just have to go about it the right way.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Digby, there is plenty of talent in these 2 sides. There are actually 5 in the NC side in Broncos program, 1 of these boys are with cowboys as well and BBC have 3 boys that I know of. Should be a great game.

WTF! you are right.I thought it was only 2 new broncos players at NC 14s this year(after being undefeated last year). A third one started this term -who is national T&F as field as well .Talk about an embarrassment of riches.No wonder the NC 14B team won 96 nil last week and have won every game by 60. Maybe OTT I think.

Welcome to GPS under 14 rugby -the only comp in Australia WITHOUT a salary cap.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
WTF! you are right.I thought it was only 2 new broncos players at NC 14s this year(after being undefeated last year). A third one started this term -who is national T&F as field as well .Talk about an embarrassment of riches.No wonder the NC 14B team won 96 nil last week and have won every game by 60. Maybe OTT I think.

This is fast getting to the stage where GPS is going to have to bring a quota system for how many boys that start in each year can play in the top grade, bringing in a new team each year is good for no one.

With all secondary schools going to grade 7 maybe the following kind of thing straight off the top-of my head.

2016 14A (grade 9) can have 3 (arbitrary figure) boys who commenced at the school in 2016, and 3 that commenced in 2015 the rest need to be have been there in 2014 (grade 7) - none of this term 2 or 3 crap. If they started in the calendar year then you can play him as long as there is no more that 3 that started that same year. Obviously 12a/13a may need to be a little different.

Full fee, part fee no fee - No different - only three new boys per year per age team for the previous 2 years.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
This is fast getting to the stage where GPS is going to have to bring a quota system for how many boys that start in each year can play in the top grade, bringing in a new team each year is good for no one.

With all secondary schools going to grade 7 maybe the following kind of thing straight off the top-of my head.

2016 14A (grade 9) can have 3 (arbitrary figure) boys who commenced at the school in 2016, and 3 that commenced in 2015 the rest need to be have been there in 2014 (grade 7) - none of this term 2 or 3 crap. If they started in the calendar year then you can play him as long as there is no more that 3 that started that same year. Obviously 12a/13a may need to be a little different.

Full fee, part fee no fee - No different - only three new boys per year per age team for the previous 2 years.

I've been saying the same for a while now - make it transparent and it won't be an issue.

However, I'll play the devils advocate - let's say a school brings in say 5 new boys to year 9, knowing perfectly well that only 3 will be able to play that year.

Meanwhile, these extra 2 players are being developed in the Firsts squad (if they're old enough, A team set ups if they're too young), but are relegated to playing 14Bs - now the A's results aren't affected by scholarships, but the Bs, Cs, and D teams bear the brunt of the arms race, instead of the A teams. Is the problem solved? No, it's just been dumped on the door step of the team below.

School's would still bring in the same number of boys, because chances are that some simply won't pan out - we mentioned Joel Hagan as a notable example previously in the thread.

All the same this is probably going to be kicked off the thread and moved to the scholarships thread located here " http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/school-sporting-scholarships.5780/page-258", which is where this sort of discussion is best hosted.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Surely you just put a limit on sporting scholarships by grade and each sport.

eg. no more than 5 current scholarships per sport per year and none offered in year 11 and above.

Including Chess, Debating and Sailing.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Late mail:

Grammar getting excited about a win as we get closer to the weekend. Possible injury disruption to State High.

BBC have lost a couple to injury but bring back some big guns this week as well. Ball control has been a focus during the week. It would want to be against the experts of that.

TGS considering a field trip to the Ekka on Saturday instead. Might get ugly up the hill.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Surely you just put a limit on sporting scholarships by grade and each sport.

eg. no more than 5 current scholarships per sport per year and none offered in year 11 and above.

Problem is the schools will tell you there are no 'scholarships' read what the Shore (NSW) said last week or so - worth a reading that Scholarship thread (last 4-5 pages is enough).

Back to footy - NC by 20, TSS 12, BSHS 18 and ACGS by 30

Best upset chance IGS

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Problem is the schools will tell you there are no 'scholarships' read what the Shore (NSW) said last week or so - worth a reading that Scholarship thread (last 4-5 pages is enough).

Best upset chance IGS

Ian Schubert doesn't have a job anymore...hire an independent auditor!! If GPS schools want to cheat then catch them.
Mind you you will have the long time offenders giving soccer scholarships to rugby players!!

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

I think state high needs to stop using their 'large asian population' as an excuse for not being able to put out more than 2 teams in an age group. If the school is serious about their rugby program it needs to appeal to kids of all ethnicities, backgrounds and athletic ability. Is anyone at the school asking themselves why these kids don't play rugby currently? and what can the school do to get them playing rugby?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Careful with Scholarship Talk. It can hijack the thread.

Queensland readers in general seem to be a little less emotional about Rugby Scholarships than NSW readers where ALL scholarship/bursary etc talk is contained in a special thread.

Provided it doesn't get out of hand, some limited discussion on Scholarships will be tolerated for the time being on this thread.

The Mods

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Would be a massive shame to see IGS and BSHS go the way of Sydney equivalents.

Action required imo, get recruiting at the 13's level to begin with. Get them playing. When we played BSHS they had a third (C's) team right the way through but not a fourth.

Agree with Bowside here. Going to school is about so much more than developing academic skills and life outside school is very little to do with essay writing and the academic grind.

Rugby develops some of these life skills in a very unique way and that's part of the reason the sport was invented. Get the boys participating.

What is the Cohort size at BSHS?

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)

This is why Nudgee is often referred to as the Queensland Institute of Sport.

It's ok, if that's what they want to do ... As long as the kids know this is why they're winning. Not because of great coaching or exceptional effort.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
The NC 14's don't have as many scholarship players as everyone is making out. I've watched this team develop over the last couple years and most are full paying students that have been at nudgee since junior school. But there's no doubt about it they have a making of a special team interceded with a bit of new talent, it will be interesting to watch them develope through to the opens. I'm pretty sure BBC will be trying hard to tip them up this weekend along with all the other GPS boys through the season. At the the end of the day it's a team game, and a the team will win through every time, stars or no stars.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)

Best upset chance IGS

Agreed that IGS are best chance of upset but they'll be a long way from it.
They're suspect at the tackle and too slow to get there. No8 ineffective and thinks he's bigger than he actually is. 7 has no dominance and gets throw around too easily. 3 strong ball runner but goes hiding when up against quality opposition. Backs are solid but their biggest issue is the 50/50s they continually throw. Many obviously not hitting the mark but damn they look good when they do.
A talented side but will take a few losses to realise their potential IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.