• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/schoolboy-rugby-a-modest-proposal/

This would be an interesting concept for Brisbane, with promotion and relegation from a top tier of footy to a secondary tier.

Would any AIC teams knock off a GPS team now that we all openly give sporting scholarships?

EDIT: thought I'd drop these in here.

Nudgee (#1 in GPS) vs Iona (#1 in AIC)
VS

BBC (#3 in GPS) vs Marist (#3 in AIC (couldn't find AIC #2 highlights))
vs

I've included TSS here as well, because they were incredible in 2013 -

Dear Mr King.
Congrats on another interesting , thought provoking thread.
Can I suggest you are correct in your assessment of GPS v AIC for the following:
1) imports across whole of GPS has raised the standard and in particular the size of the boys. Many more boys in GPS turned 18 as they do senior over 2 years. TSS had between 6 and 8 boys turning 18 last year. Mafi turns 18 this year for NC fresh from playing a number of tests in Europe for Aussie schoolboys. BBC this year will have about 4 boys turning 18. This is rare in AIC. I watched Ashgrove 1st xv 2 weeks ago and they are a lot smaller than most GPS schools;
2) the imports and the consequent improvement in the comp is not limited to rugby.the times in swimming in GPS are significantly faster. Churchie did not go from last (2013) to 1st ( 2014) in swimming without winning a grade 8 race because they changed the coach!!!;
3) it's the same in cricket . Ashgrove smashed everyone in AIC cricket but we're thrashed twice by BBC ( with their 2 star imports) and BBC finished 3 rd in GPS.TSS were undefeated in cricket and had 3 or 4 state or national imports.

In short the closeness of any result last year in GPS - AIC rugby was due to the different seasons- as you suggest.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Dear Mr King.
Congrats on another interesting , thought provoking thread.
Can I suggest you are correct in your assessment of GPS v AIC for the following:
1) imports across whole of GPS has raised the standard and in particular the size of the boys. Many more boys in GPS turned 18 as they do senior over 2 years. TSS had between 6 and 8 boys turning 18 last year. Mafi turns 18 this year for NC fresh from playing a number of tests in Europe for Aussie schoolboys. BBC this year will have about 4 boys turning 18. This is rare in AIC. I watched Ashgrove 1st xv 2 weeks ago and they are a lot smaller than most GPS schools

Please - Mr. King was my father, call me The :p

I was meaning to get out to some AIC games to scope them out this year but never got around to it. How's the quality of Rugby? you mentioned they were smaller, what GPS standard would you peg AIC First XV rugby at - Second XV, with some stellar athletes scattered throughout?

Adrian Henley is the fullback here playing league for Norths MM Cup. He shows some blinding speed and skill. might not have got a chance to shine for Aus schoolboys but an obvious talent

Yep, that's him all right. Maybe the transition to union was a problem, what with knowing where to inject himself in to the game. You could see his pace on kick chase, but not a whole lot elsewhere.

I'm very impressed with Spaander in that clip though. He would have been dangerous at Nudgee in 2014 if the staff hadn't screwed him about.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Digby

You have touched on a change that has been silently creeping in to the Brisbane GPS Schools competitions.

The number of boys now doing Year 12 over 2 years is growing. In fact, I know that a couple of schools are actively seeking out and encouraging the boys and their families that it will be in their best interests to do the Year 12 over two years.

At this age, one year of growth can make a massive difference and if you can get the average age of a team even 6 months to 9 months higher than the rest, the advantage is huge.

TSS almost have this advantage built in to their school system for the Opens in Rugby as they have been aligned to the NSW schools system for a long time with a six month delay in their age intake. This will start working its way out when the current year 6 cohort across the whole of QLD reach year 12 (as this year was aligned to NSW when the Prep year was introduced - also a note to NSW readers, the QLD Open Schoolboy teams should only get better with this average age increase coming through in about 2020).

Look at TSS Open results over the past couple of years, particularly under the First XV level and you will see a noticeable change from the results that were recorded in the age group levels. I think last year every Open TSS team except the Firsts were undefeated (stand to be corrected). That half year of maturity makes a difference.

But other schools have recognised this "natural" advantage and have sort out, and I know of one case described as "undue" pressure has been applied, to take the two year option for completing year 12. For which party (the student, the school, the coach) is it in the best interest for this to occur?

Yes, there was a time that "repeating" Year 12 was the way to go, but it appears as though this option has declined over the years. And now there is this planned approach to spreading the final year of school over two years.

This year, there should also be a sizeable shift in some of the age group results at the higher skill level with the change of under age group rules in rugby comp. Players born after the 1 November in the preceding year to the actual age group were eligible to play in that age group until this season. Now you have to be born from 1 January in that age group year top be eligible for that year group. Some schools I am hearing are "losing" up to a third of their "A" team to the higher age groups - which also suggests that even that couple of months older gave boys an advantage when they were playing in the age group below them.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Well said & I agree.
The TSS under 13 to under 15 results were very average(as they have been for years).But every open team except firsts were undefeated and (apart from NC)won their matches by very wide margins.Why? because of the number of 18 year olds in the First and 2nd xv.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Wow -if they can convince Tuuga to play at 2-that is one hell of a mobile hooker.But can he throw the ball in?
I heard they were starting the 16A props against BGS-they have been training with the 35 man 1sts squad for some time.

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
Wow -if they can convince Tuuga to play at 2-that is one hell of a mobile hooker.But can he throw the ball in?
I heard they were starting the 16A props against BGS-they have been training with the 35 man 1sts squad for some time.
They must be pretty impressive 16 yr olds to push out two 18 yr old props, including one in his 3rd year in the 1sts!

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
They are not pushing any one out. Th e3 teams are all mixed up -and Peterson has a niggling injury.But at least 5 certainties are not playing.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Dear QRU & ARU
.Have a look at what you missed out on and what the Broncos got.Also when the Broncos play the Knights at Suncorp -have a look at Dane Gagai -you missed out on him too-as well as the 2 centres from this years Aussie schoolboys team -that have all gone to league.Wake up !

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Dear QRU & ARU
.Have a look at what you missed out on and what the Broncos got.Also when the Broncos play the Knights at Suncorp -have a look at Dane Gagai -you missed out on him too-as well as the 2 centres from this years Aussie schoolboys team -that have all gone to league.Wake up !

@HJ Nelson and I went through the Queensland Schoolboy Rep sides to find just how many had stayed in Union. It was better than you'd expect

Queensland I (Red)

1. Evander GUTTENBEIL The Southport School -> Titans, Rugby League
2. Alex MAFI St Joseph’s Nudgee College -> School
3. Sam CLIFTON The Southport School -> Bond Uni Colts
4. Jake UPFIELD The Southport School -> Bond Uni Colts
5. Reece HEWAT St Joseph’s Nudgee College -> School
6. Lolo FAKAOSILEA St Patricks College -> Aus. U20 Squad
7. Brad WILKIN Iona College -> Easts Colts
8. Maclean JONES St Joseph’s Nudgee College -> GPS Colts
9. Issak FINES The Southport School -> Sunnybank Colts
10. Mitchell THIRD The Southport School -> Sunnybank Premier
11. Adrian HENLEY St Peters Lutheran College -> Norths Devils RL
12. Harry WATHEN Toowoomba Grammar School -> Souths Colts
13. Landon HAYES Ipswich Grammar School -> Ipswich Jets RL
14. Isaac NATHAN The Southport School -> Burleigh Bears RL
15. James TODD Ipswich Grammar School -> UQ Colts
16. Ikaika FA’AOSO St Peters Lutheran College -> Souths Colts
17. Christon MAHANGA Sunnybank State High School
18. James McCOLL Toowoomba Grammar School -> School
19. Jamason FA’ANANA-SCHULTZ Ipswich Grammar School -> Broncos RL
20. Luke PAPWORTH The Southport School -> Gordon Colts (NSW)
21. James TUTTLE St Joseph’s Nudgee College -> GPS Colts
22. Nathan RUSSELL Brisbane Boys College -> UQ Colts
23. Pedro IKITAU St Francis College -> Sunnybank Colts

Queensland II (White)

1. Richie ASIATA Churchie -> School
2. Jake LYON The Southport School -> Souths Colts/Premier
3. Matt GIBBON St Joseph’s Nudgee College-> Southern Districts Colts (NSW)
4. Max ALLEN Siena Catholic College -> Easts Colts
5. Izack RODDA Ipswich Grammar School -> School
6. Patrick MORREY Brisbane Grammar School -> UQ Colts
7. Douglas MacMILLIAN Anglican Church Grammar School -> Bond Uni
8. Joel BROWN The Southport School -> Souths Colts
9. Moses SOROVI St Peters Lutheran College -> UQ Colts
10. Carlin ANDERSON Ipswich Grammar School -> Ipswich Jets RL
11. Richard AITSI St Joseph’s Nudgee College -> GPS Colts/Prems
12. Conrad QUICK Brisbane Boys College -> Sunnybank Colts
13. Liam JURD Toowoomba Grammar School -> UQ Colts
14. Campbell MAGNAY St Joseph’s Nudgee College -> GPS Colts
15. Joshua BOWEN-BOWYER Brisbane Boys College -> Broncos, Rugby League
16. William BAILEY Anglican Church Grammar School -> Easts Colts
17. Shaun LAURIE St Peters Lutheran College -> Yamba
18. Shambeckler VUI Ipswich Grammar School -> School
19. Ryan McCULLY St Edmund’s College -> Easts Colts
20. Jayden RODWELL St Joseph’s Nudgee College -> GPS Colts
21. Harry MASTERS Sunshine Coast Grammar School -> UQ Colts
22. Henry DEVINE Marist College Ashgrove -> GPS Colts
23. Antonie IOSEFA Brisbane State High School -> Sunnybank Colts

Combined States

Stuart McREIGHT Brisbane Grammar School -> Brothers Colts
Dalton COX Brisbane Grammar School -> GPS Colts
Andrew GOUGH Downlands College -> Brothers Colts
Sani TASI Ipswich Grammar School -> Ipswich Jets RL
Sam CLARKE Marist College, Ashgrove -> Norths Colts
Angus FOWLER St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace -> Brothers Colts
George PARTRIDGE St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace -> Brothers Colts 2
Ed GIBSON The Southport School -> Souths Colts
Nili FIELEA The Southport School -> Western Force (trialling)

Harry WHYTE Toowoomba Grammar -> UQ Colts

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Great video of Bowen.I hear his brother in grade 7 is a talent as well.
There is a thread on the NSW schoolboy forum that details the huge number of former schoolboy Ruby players in NRL under 20-especially from Aussie schoolboys.

leftrightout

Stan Wickham (3)
Saw the list
BGS vs BBC trial 10am Northgate. 3x20 thirds I believe? There should be basically a new team every third.
Just saw the Bbc list...Looks like Barker has put his A team on 1st bar a bit of tweaking with a few positions and has done the changes in the second 1/4...

Status
Not open for further replies.