• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rouge

Bob McCowan (2)
Possibly, GPS3 did have a few week spots by the end of the day with some subs not quit up to the game, but their scrum was dominant (two tight head wins straight up). Dempsey organised well, (he'd have to be disappointed at not getting a place in a squad) and I though GPS3 better at the breakdown. It did look to me that GPS1 were more likely to score when they had the ball but that GPS2 won more ball and contested harder for it.

What I sore was a GP3 team that if they had there full team from start to finish I believe they would off come out on top of GPS1/GP2, GPS3 forward pack destroyed the GPS1 pack in the first half pushing them off the mark every time.
Second half sore coaches/selectors start bringing on boys from GPS2 and also taking key players from GP3 and placing them on the field for GPS1 because they where getting dealt too.

Ruggapedia

Frank Row (1)
Thought these trials would be selected properly, few questionable selections but a major contraversey R.wall selected qld 2 didn't even trial.

In that case why not just pick I.perese?or not have trials at all
Again people getting picked in mars rather than performance

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Actually I did not have an issue with Wall's selection. His form in earlier two rounds of GPS trials was really up there. It was no surprise he was selected at GPS 3 half back.

I understand he was injured in the week leading up to the Qld schoolboy trials. He probably did the right thing sitting it out and giving injury priority and leaving his fate in the lap of the selectors.

In my opinion Wall had the runs on the board in the earlier GPS trials that the selectors were present. He can play half and fly half and is fourth pick out of the two teams for that position being in the reserves. So I do not believe this selection is out of the ordinary.

However, I still stand by earlier post where I believe one or two other selections have been based on prior year reputation than any basis of current form. Still shaking my head.

Rouge

Bob McCowan (2)
I'd thought Hiale Roycroft would have actually been considered a QLD 2 Centre position, His performance yesterday against Calvin Pritchard and Dean Bender was great. On two or three occasions he even broke through their two solid defence and breaking their line, and was solid in containing those two as well.

If the trials where based on performance Roycroft out played bender and Pritchard, you are correct Roycroft broke there line a number of times and contained Pritchard & Bender.
Can't believe Roycroft did not make bench GPS1 or run on centre GPS 2.

Knockon

Bob McCowan (2)
If the trials where based on performance Roycroft out played bender and Pritchard, you are correct Roycroft broke there line a number of times and contained Pritchard & Bender.

Disagree, Roycroft may have been considered for Qld2 but lacks experience in union to be up in Qld1. You need more than one good run, structre and ball skills and good defence. Pritchard and Bender have experience against NSW where they won last year and good to see the selectors get it right.

The Queen

Bob McCowan (2)
Disagree, Roycroft may have been considered for Qld2 but lacks experience in union to be up in Qld1. You need more than one good run, structre and ball skills and good defence. Pritchard and Bender have experience against NSW where they won last year and good to see the selectors get it right.

Are you serious mate? Roycroft has played the same amount of Union as Pritchard and Perese. All three of them league boys who have only been playing union for around 2-3 years. Also with this notable absentees Ponga, Mason, Perese, Croft and Sua. A theory as to why im not sure but most of AGGS star power in the backs was missing. Noting to this Perese has a knee issue and Mason with a back issue.

JacPrinceTell

Frank Row (1)
Are you serious mate? Roycroft has played the same amount of Union as Pritchard and Perese. All three of them league boys who have only been playing union for around 2-3 years. Also with this notable absentees Ponga, Mason, Perese, Croft and Sua. A theory as to why im not sure but most of AGGS star power in the backs was missing. Noting to this Perese has a knee issue and Mason with a back issue.

I was sitting behind a few boys at the trials, heard them talking about Mason, Perese, Ponga etc. They said those players weren't playing in trials due to league commitments or contracts which wouldn't let them play. As well as injuries of course. Not sure how reliable it is however.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
If Mason has a back issue then his heavy knee strapping at the trial v BGS yesterday was just camouflage and acting. While he went ok because always on front foot the knee injury did restrict his movement somewhat

Desle Aslo

Bob McCowan (2)

From my viewing of the game, he showed no passiveness against the best centre's in GPS, i thought he was very well with the ball and showed lot's of promising signs in worrying his opposite numbers. But experience i understand for QLD 1 is what they after, i guess you can't argue with that. However even having him bench QLD 1 or QLD 2, would have been a huge bonus for either squad.

GPS Rugby Pro

Frank Row (1)
Yes, He should definately be on and Matthew Smit shold never have got chosen
Roycoft should be over Smit

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)
Didn't think Asiata (1- GPS1) did that much, Wall (9 - GPS3) didn't play either day (subbed by Dempsey - originally 21 GPS1, who went alright), thought the Ganita (4) from CCS trialed as well as any other, thought Te Rupe (13 - GPS 2) has been extremely hard done by, thought Helms (16 - GPS 2) did well when on, thought Peterson (3 - GPS3) out scrummed all the other 3's, but maybe a question mark over his fitness?
On the other hand, Fox & Luka were outstanding.

Now that is a big athletic pack-hence Hewitt to 5 . Very surprised Morony is at 7 ahead of Farrell
Morony is a good scavenger but Farrell is an all round the park athlete .

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yes, He should definately be on and Matthew Smit shold never have got chosen
Roycoft should be over Smit

Smit is a quality player, he runs straight and hard, good build and made some good tackles. Roycoft found himself running across the paddock, he found space a few times but just as many times he got tackled passively and got the ball tunred. Smits your ideal center while roycoft is a league hybrid that the selectors would be taking chances with... The same thing can be said with Te Rupe, too much dancing and not enough hard straight running from the GT center pairing IMO

Murphys Law

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm not sure if Smith, Bender or Prichard are the best centres in the comp this year, but I am glad the selectors didn't go for the league boys as it means we are strengthening the boys who are gonna stay in the rugby system. I am all for the league boys joining the GPS system if they are interested in rugby and are gonna commit.

One thing from the weekend I learnt BBC do have depth finally. Any results from the other trials anyone see the other games and if so results/good performances??

GPS Rugby Pro

Frank Row (1)
The Combined states team has been announced:
Combined States 2014
Name School
1 Peter Ivic Belmont High School
2 James Wilkinson St Edward’s College, Gosford
3 Jack Bowditch St. Ignatius’ College
4 James Gall Anglican Church Grammar School
5 Kieran Bonin South Hills High School
6 George Lehmann The King’s School
7 Martin Koortz Brisbane State High School
8 Koim Wingti St Joseph's Hunters Hill
9 Max Dempsey Brisbane Boys College
10 Joshua Thorndyke Gosford High School
11 Hugo Doessel Anglican Church Grammar School
12 Ned Yeomans Kinross Wolaroi School
13 Regan Glynn St Patrick’s College Shorncliffe
14 Ben Fontaine St Augustine's College
15 Kirt Anthony St Edward’s College Gosford
16 Brad Undi The Southport School
17 Jack Nettleton St Augustine’s College
18 Thomas O’Toole Padua College
19 Jeremey Gimpel Anglican Church Grammar School
20 Matt Feauai-Sautia Brisbane State High School
21 Joshua Oxley St Stanislaus’ College
22 Hamish Stewart Toowoomba Grammar School
23 Samuel Hicks St. Columban’s College

underdone

Peter Burge (5)
Now that is a big athletic pack-hence Hewitt to 5 . Very surprised Morony is at 7 ahead of Farrell
Morony is a good scavenger but Farrell is an all round the park athlete .

Morony has it all over Farrell by the length of a park, lower centre of gravity and way more core strength, very much like Pocock, when Morony runs the ball its only one way straight and full speed...Farrell dances around the edge of the ruck, seems a bit reluctant to stick his head in and have a dig, runs far to upright and crabs to much running his support players out of space.

phatmik

Herbert Moran (7)
Morony has it all over Farrell by the length of a park, lower centre of gravity and way more core strength, very much like Pocock, when Morony runs the ball its only one way straight and full speed.Farrell dances around the edge of the ruck, seems a bit reluctant to stick his head in and have a dig, runs far to upright and crabs to much running his support players out of space.

It seems that the role of a 7 is changing as all players on the field are now expected to be hard on the ball turnover, not just a 7. This seems very apparent with watching the Churchie players that trialled as Scott Young, Gimpel, Webb & Co as it was second nature to them. Scott Young perhaps did not trial particularly well by his own standards but one thing he consistently excelled was being strong on the ball turnover. The 7 is starting to evolve another dimension and that is UP. You mentioned Pocock and I see 10 posts prior in The Queen post a picture of Pockcock with the lifting straps around his thighs and that is something unfortunately Moroney is deficient and that is UP. Even in a lifting role which then minimizes an option in the lineout. After what I saw of the GPS1 scrum in the first half, I don't think I would be wanting to minimize other areas of the set piece in the game. Was hoping to see if the selectors would play PJ Van Den Burg up in the higher games (ie GPS1 v GPS3 but not to be). I guess it comes down to how the coach / selectors want to play the game and what they know and what they are comfortable with. From what I read no one knows who Farrell is so probably justifies that the 5th ranked openside flanker coming into these trials is now selected as the number one

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
justifies that the 5th ranked openside flanker coming into these trials is now selected as the number one

I seems from the selections in the QLD teams that the GPS teams were selected to give some boys extra opportunity to work in combinations while other perhaps more known quantities were moved around.

I.E. everyone already new what Moroney brings to the table so he was put on the bench so they could see how Farrell would go combination/skills wise and as it turned out they like what the knew about Moroney more than what they saw from Farrell - there are other examples as well.

Not saying it s right but looks like that's how it was played.

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
The Combined states team has been announced:
Combined States 2014
Name School
1 Peter Ivic Belmont High School
2 James Wilkinson St Edward’s College, Gosford
3 Jack Bowditch St. Ignatius’ College
4 James Gall Anglican Church Grammar School
5 Kieran Bonin South Hills High School
6 George Lehmann The King’s School
7 Martin Koortz Brisbane State High School
8 Koim Wingti St Joseph's Hunters Hill
9 Max Dempsey Brisbane Boys College
10 Joshua Thorndyke Gosford High School
11 Hugo Doessel Anglican Church Grammar School
12 Ned Yeomans Kinross Wolaroi School
13 Regan Glynn St Patrick’s College Shorncliffe
14 Ben Fontaine St Augustine's College
15 Kirt Anthony St Edward’s College Gosford
16 Brad Undi The Southport School
17 Jack Nettleton St Augustine’s College
18 Thomas O’Toole Padua College
19 Jeremey Gimpel Anglican Church Grammar School
20 Matt Feauai-Sautia Brisbane State High School
21 Joshua Oxley St Stanislaus’ College
22 Hamish Stewart Toowoomba Grammar School
23 Samuel Hicks St. Columban’s College
Are the selections of the QLD players done from the State Schoolboys trials played last weekend? I am surprised that a few boys who missed out on QLD1 or QLD2 didn't pick up spots in this team where other QLD based players made the team without making any of the teams that played last weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.