• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Whilst I agree that more games can prepare players better when it comes to selections for an Aussie team it comes down to results by teams , individual performance to expectation and coach preference but also these players are tracked over the last two years.believe mafi was injured most of the preseason and Hewitt the same. League players have chosen the other pathway which is much superior to union pathway at this stage...

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Heard there were some questions asked about workrate - that seemed to play a big role in selections particularly across the back row.
I'm a NSW supporter so this comment has no bias at all. I was very surprised that they didn't pick Fox. He and Crighton ( NSW) were the 2 best go forward back rowers all week. If I was picking a team to take on NZ, there would have been a number if different picks. Qld 9 and 12 should also be in there. The suggestion out there that the minor contenders in act and Vic were each given 3 spots for their perceived best 3 players, meant that a few quality players from both qld and NSW missed out. I can see why they do it, but it's tough on those boys who missed out because of it. Having said that, a few of those boys picked from Vic and act are pretty handy players.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Reece Hewat? Tuiana Tuilima? Sam Edwards? Calvin Pritchard? I heard all these players and more missed out on tight selections. Maybe with a few more games pre the championships, the players wouldve been able to fully develop their individual games before going away and trialing for the highest honour, aus schoolboys.

Hewat is a good point, so is Pritchard - though I hear Pritchard hurt himself throughout the trials, so may have played worse than his usual standard. But besides physicality in defence and attack, he doesn't bring any real ball-playing to the spot - without knowing what the coaches are looking for in that particular position it's pretty hard to knock the selections.

We're at a disadvantage up north because we don't get the chance to look at the other options or performance at the championships. I started a new thread in the Schoolboys section, called "Australian Schoolboys 2014", so this should probably all be re-directed there..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyFella

Frank Row (1)
Well I don't think any first XV team will go through undefeated although Churchie seem the most likely to achieve this.
1st XV - Churchie win with Nudgee and TSS close
2nds - NC win with BBC danger only on the back of the NC 16 results last year
3rds - NC only on there depth ??? Guess really
16a - BBC
15a - Terrace with Churchie and BSHS danger. Heard that BSHS have a great coach but lack numbers think he was the Nudgee 16's coach from last year??? A and BBC to improve as the season go with our man Whitey coaching..
14a - NC - my sons mate is in this side and have a number of quality league players. Good under age coach as well ..
13a - lottery but I'll tip Ippy with NC, TGS dangers
3rd XV - Terrace won the 16 C's last year undefeated whereas NC lost two games against TSS and Churchie and they also drew with BGS.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Does that mean AIC is stronger and has better depth then?

No, you'll find only certain schools in the AIC have depth. Ashgrove were the only school to field more than four teams (six) in Opens, whilst Padua, Iona and SLC had four. Villa, SEC and SPC had three and SPLC had two.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just over 2 weeks until the first round of GPS rugby for 2014! Are there any trials left to be played between schools, each school would have at least one game lined up before they go into their first round?

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Round 1:
Churchie V IGS at Churchie
GT V Grammar at Tennyson
State High V TGS at Carina
TSS V BBC at Southport (probably match of the round)

Nudgee have the bye and then host Grammar in round 1...

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
15a - Terrace with Churchie and BSHS danger. Heard that BSHS have a great coach but lack numbers think he was the Nudgee 16's coach from last year??? A and BBC to improve as the season go with our man Whitey coaching..

I see GT won the U15 GCRC final today beating Shore 22-nil in the final.

Other notable participants were TSS, TGS and Kings.

RugbyFella

Frank Row (1)
Terrace 3rds lost to Ashgrove 3rds in a trial at the end of last term 32-5.

The Terrace 3rds went into that game with a total of three training sessions, with many of the players making their first tackle of the season in that game, where as Ashgrove had a full season of games under their belts. I have no doubt that with a Terrace side with match fitness and some unbiased linesmen then the Terrace team would have come out on top.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Terrace 3rds went into that game with a total of three training sessions, with many of the players making their first tackle of the season in that game, where as Ashgrove had a full season of games under their belts. I have no doubt that with a Terrace side with match fitness and some unbiased linesmen then the Terrace team would have come out on top.

I completely agree, I was simply putting the fact out there for other people to acknowledge.

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Interesting score for Terrace ... Were they at full strength? Or did they play a seconds side and Nudgee at full strength... What were the scores of the under age A teams ... Some players would of been in the city and country teams

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
I see GT won the U15 GCRC final today beating Shore 22-nil in the final.

Other notable participants were TSS, TGS and Kings.
Excellent work by the terrace boys well done beating the southerns... Looks like terrace and BBC will be fighting out the 15's this year

Status
Not open for further replies.