• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wesley

Frank Row (1)
This is interesting. I remember someone here mentioning a number for last years 16 Bs were playing in the firsts at GT. The 2nds which I assume is where the bulk of the A players ended up have had a pretty good season. By contrast the 1sts are having a very poor season, which could probably challenge 09 as the most disappointing GT team since 1998.

The Terrace 2nds has largely been the same group of boys that have played B's rugby since grade 8 and thats why the have only lost 3 games in that 5 years. Very few previous A's players in that team.

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
The Terrace 2nds has largely been the same group of boys that have played B's rugby since grade 8 and thats why the have only lost 3 games in that 5 years. Very few previous A's players in that team.

Great bunch that lot, very happy for them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

insider18

Stan Wickham (3)
Great game at TGS today, great day of overall footy. TGS were by far the better side in the first half leading by two tries, but igs dominated the second half and probably deserved the win. Was really disappointed by Issac Rodda who I have heard a lot of hype about. Lost a lot of line outs to the TGS number 6 (unsure on the name) Ethan Page and Shambeckler were very impressive for IGS and for TGS I thought their best were the two props one if james McColl unsure of the other one but both massive units. The number 6 had a very very good game and the 12 Hamish Stewart had a great game. TGS seem to be the suprise packet this year really didn't expect them to beat our boys today

Kepu

Herbert Moran (7)
Great game at TGS today, great day of overall footy. TGS were by far the better side in the first half leading by two tries, but igs dominated the second half and probably deserved the win. Was really disappointed by Issac Rodda who I have heard a lot of hype about. Lost a lot of line outs to the TGS number 6 (unsure on the name) Ethan Page and Shambeckler were very impressive for IGS and for TGS I thought their best were the two props one if james McColl unsure of the other one but both massive units. The number 6 had a very very good game and the 12 Hamish Stewart had a great game. TGS seem to be the suprise packet this year really didn't expect them to beat our boys today

Toowoomba are no weak side. They have come out strong against many opponents, including the ACGS game I saw down the range. They are a composed team and came the closest any school has within the Churchie team, 8 points (34-26).

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Round 7 results

Open 1sts - NC 1sts 25 d GT 1sts 17, BBC 1sts 45 d BGS 1sts 12, TSS 1sts 24 d BSHS 1sts 15, TGS 1sts 36 d IGS 1sts 34.

Open 2nds - GT 2nds 14 d NC 2nds 12, BGS 2nds 22 d BBC 2nds 10, TSS 2nds 46 d BSHS 2nds 0, TGS 2nds 43 d IGS 2nds 0.

U16A - BBC 16a 38 d BGS 16a 5, TGS 16a 32 d IGS 16a 7, NC 16a 29 d GT 16a 12, TSS 16a 33 d BSHS 16a 5.

U15A - IGS 15a 22 d TGS 15a 17, BSHS 15a 24 d TSS 15a 13, BGS 15a 17 d BBC 15a 12.

U14A - TGS 14a 27 d IGS 14a 7, BSHS 14a 22 d TSS 14a 17, BBC 14a 55 d BGS 14a 12, NC 14a 21 d GT 14a 7.

U13A - TSS 13a 36 d BSHS 13a 24, BBC 13a 83 d BGS 13a 7, NC 13a 14 d GT 13a 10, IGS 13a 34 d TGS 13a 12.

U12A - IGS 12a 48 d TGS 12a 5, GT 12a 19 d NC 12a 12, BGS 12a 5 d BBC 12a 0.

U11A - BGS 11a 43 d BBC 11a 5, NC 11a 33 d GT 11a 26, BBC 11a 43 d BGS 11a 5, TGS 11a 73 d IGS 11a 0.

U10A - NC 10a 26 d GT 10a 12.

Blogs

Frank Nicholson (4)
Number 6 TGS is Jimmy Gordon. He has dominated most 1st 15 line outs this season. Work rate around the field is huge. His defense, tackling today was super impressive. The 2 props have been dominant all season too. The other prop is someone Hoppert, year 11, he will be very impressive next year. The inside backs for TGS in the 2nd half were very average and IGS capitalized on their mistakes to get them back in the game. Well done to both sides it was a great spectacle of rugby.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
Happy to say it's moving in the right direction, rugby that is..how do you measure success ??? . . But there is a whole lot more to a school then rugby. Happy to start a survey of parents and players . If you like. Actually let's ask some of the other schools about their thoughts on what has happened at BBC . The isolation is going to be deafening.
Understand your frustration Real Deal - but a couple of quick points. This is a rugby forum, so happy to talk about broader school success, but probably not relevant here.
Secondly, you seem to be measuring success by wins and dollars in your earlier post - as you say above, there is a whole lot more to it than that.
You should run your survey, if for nothing else to give you peace of mind. And while we are at it, let's break that " isolation " ( perhaps you meant "silence" ) with the other schools . With regard scholarships, wake up - BBC are doing now what the rest of the schools have been doing for years, excepting possibly GT. I am a parent and have played and coached against BBC . The difference in the school's rugby program now, and as little as 3 or 4 years ago, in my humble opinion, is marked. BBC teams actually turn up now and put in. There is a level of teamship and respect that I didn't see there before, and I know you don't want to talk about it, but they are playing better rugby.
Don't get me wrong Real Deal - I think this scholarship arms race is out of control and , in some instances,impacting the fabric of these schools, but it appears that it is here for a while, so it needs to be managed in the schools as best it can, with respect for the existing school communities along the way. That also means Real Deal, respect for the kids putting in in the schools who are on these scholarships. There are mistakes, but for the whole part, these kids are grabbing the opportunities offered them . Through a mutual friend I got to meet a young boy and his parents on scholarship at BBC a few weeks ago , who happens to be tearing up the rugby field this season. I asked how he was going at BBC, and what he liked - expecting a comment about rugby, his reply was that he got a B+ in a maths test the week before, up from a C last semester. Hid Dad was in tears telling me that he wouldn't have been able to give his son that opportunity. That's enough for me.
So Real Deal, you sound as if it all hasn't somehow worked out for you, and I sincerely hope that it does at some point. Measure your success and run your survey by all means, but make sure you include the broader perspective - you do have choices to resolve your dilemma, but the anonymity of this forum isn't the place for parents to grind axes or air grievances. Have you seen how happy your Under 14d BBC team is now that they have finished the season undefeated ? Watching them yesterday, I have never seen a better endorsement for what BBC seem to be trying to achieve for their rugby programme - measure that while you are at it.

Impartial Observer

Bob McCowan (2)
Players from both NC/GT teams combine today to play in the U14 Club final. Good luck boys!

The dream team didn't have it all it's all own way in the U14 club final - won 12-10 against the other dream team comprised of the other half of the Nudgee team and BSHS

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
The dream team didn't have it all it's all own way in the U14 club final - won 12-10 against the other dream team comprised of the other half of the Nudgee team and BSHS

I imagine there was some sore bodies before the game even started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

countrylad18

Frank Row (1)
From the Forum activity this week (or lack thereof) there seems to a bit of angst that Churchie has (or at least is in the box seat) to win an undefeated premiership having beaten TSS last Saturday. Not sure why that is because they are a very good team that yes are full of superstars but they are a pleasure to watch. And despite the success appear a team of no egos that play for each other and their school. Yes they may have won the arms race this year but credit where credit is due. I know that everyone is happy to support winners and the real test of school community support is when the team is not having success but having been at the Churchie v BBC game at BBC it was embarrassing how many Churchie boys were there in the wet supporting their team in comparison to the BBC home team.

Totally agree with this. Churchie spirit this year whatever sport has been unreal. I was talking to a young churchie lad at TSS last weekend and he told me that churchie hasn't slipped out of the top 3 for any sport this year. Importing or not that is something for the record books... And I don't think a school has ever been in the top 3 for everything.

Does anyone know who will take Alex Mafi's spot in Aus Schoolboys? Mafi is ruled out

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Totally agree with this. Churchie spirit this year whatever sport has been unreal. I was talking to a young churchie lad at TSS last weekend and he told me that churchie hasn't slipped out of the top 3 for any sport this year. Importing or not that is something for the record books. And I don't think a school has ever been in the top 3 for everything.

Does anyone know who will take Alex Mafi's spot in Aus Schoolboys? Mafi is ruled out

Evan Pritchard (St Ignatius’ College)

This is revised touring squad

ScreenHunter_014.jpg

TheObserver

Frank Row (1)
At the end of the day, if the teams are coached and selected correctly then the best 15 will run onto the field. Scholarship or not, if you work hard to become the better player you will be selected. Step up to the level or stop the whinging. End of story.

I

iceman

Don't think this is what motivated the GT team but they must have done well to be under 15 points. Will be catching up with people supporting both sides and neutral observers tomorrow. Should be interesting to hear how the star studded team were pushed to their narrowest win.

Hope you enjoy the dinner BAG and The King

I happened to be at Tennyson and observed this game as the person showing me around mentioned that this was a going to be a great game and the Nudgee 14a team were the standout team in GPS...I actually hadn't seen either of these teams play before, however I thought Nudgee had some big boys in their team and some very strong ball carriers, apart from this I don't think there was that much difference between the teams - GT gave up a soft try from a penalty - But that GT side looked very well drilled as did Nudgee and were unlucky on a couple of occasions - definitely a lot of talent on display

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Hate to admit it you are right, across all the ages groups down to E's (ex 15's) I get GT luck to 5, hope I am wrong, don't think I am.

Got 8 wins on the day and the majority of games were very tough and close, the 13 a&b and 14 a&b were crackers NC won all four with games decided by 2, 5, 14 and 1 point(s).

2nds and 12a's the highlight (from a red and black perspective)- very enjoyable day at Tennyson on Saturday with some outstanding head to head clashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.