• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
In a global rugby community, highlights tapes like the one I shared above aren't just a stroking of the highlighted's ego - nor are they a symptom of low self esteem.

Aumua's highlight video is a recruitment tool designed to further a career in sport - one that I assume has worked, given his progression through the Bronco's U20s, Queensland Reds U20s and now Union Bordeaux Begles in France - incidentally, playing on the wing with teammates Adam Ashley-Cooper, Luke Braid, Ole Avei, and Sekope Kepu in 2016.

On Greene's documentary: it's designed to capture the rapid rise of a young prodigy. With McIntyre and Dalgleish in front of him, I don't expect Sam to start for the Reds in 2016 - and no one else should, either.

But in case he does, this documentary will capture the build up. It's already documents his freak upset of Nudgee. It documents his MVP nominated season for Wests in 2013. It documents his Queensland Reds debut and his shattering of Elton Flatley's most-points-in-a-match-for-Brothers record. If it captures him winning the Hospital Cup as a 20-year old and going on to start for an NRC team, I'd hazard a guess to say he's been just about the best person in Queensland Rugby there is to document!

This seems eerily similar to people knocking Cristiano Ronaldo's goals records just because he scores penalties and hat-tricks against bad teams. Do you expect him not to score them?

If Aumua wasn't a flat track bully I'd be concerned - the saving grace is that he wasn't just a flat track bully.

With regards to missing tape from ACGS, BBC etc, Aumua was injured midway through the season with a lower back injury. Grant Davies, the flyhalf, was also sidelined through that time with a shoulder injury.

BGS were undefeated right up until they played Churchie in 2011, after which they lost every game, finishing fourth. I put to you that the reason they lost those matches was because Aumua and Davies were missing.

All up, I think we mostly agree, Monday's Expert! Aumua was contact averse in that he maybe didn't hit 100% of rucks - but that's because he was a converted League centre/winger, playing eight.

well said Mr King
i dont really think this thread is for bagging players from years gone past .i personally thought that was below the belt.
Congrats for pointing out earlier this year that you had high hopes that the qld 1 fullback would be a special player after you saw him at trials and sevens matches.
that stocky build, big thighs and lightning acceleration remind me of that TGS fullback from a few years ago that left the Reds for the Rebels .
looking forward to reading your match summaries this year.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Where's Jack Ireland of NC this year? Expected him to play rep footy?

I hear Calvin Pritchard has been playing trial games with Nudgee's seconds. Ireland is definitely at Nudgee per sources, so I'd imagine he's in the same boat.

TSS prop Harry Weld was one of my big favourites from 2014 - he absolutely humiliated Gavin Luka in Round 5. I'm surprised he's not been in the conversation for props - then again, I'm not even sure he's still at school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
On the topic of former GPS players doing alright for themsleves, I always thought Nili Fielea and Isaak Fines-Leleiwasa were bloody good from their crazy 2013 TSS side. Isaak just represented the Aus u20's and Nili is contracted to the Force I believe.

What happened to Lakehm Aino though?

Patrick Joseph

Bob McCowan (2)
last night CSS beat GPS 3
today
GPS 3 thumped Chairmans
Aic just beat CSS
GPS 1 and GPS 2 drew 26 all
Again GPS 1 scrum got dished up . thank god for 15 or GPS1 would have lost
A fewquestions for GPS 1 selectors from the people i sat with:
1) why pick a front row that was clearly the weakest of all 5 teams;?
2) why pick a 9 and 10 that have trouble passing and a 12 they does not pass when there is an overlap;?
3) why pick the best 13 in the state on the wing today ?
4) why not pick a big rumbling number 8 as cover if Hewat got injured?(as he did)
if Qld1 or qld 2 get within 25 points of NSW 1 then I will admit you know what you are doing .until then everyone i was with were scratching their heads.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
On the topic of former GPS players doing alright for themsleves, I always thought Nili Fielea and Isaak Fines-Leleiwasa were bloody good from their crazy 2013 TSS side. Isaak just represented the Aus u20's and Nili is contracted to the Force I believe.

What happened to Lakehm Aino though?

Isaak is playing Premier Grade, alternating with Paul Kriukelis' brother-in-law, Sean O'Connor in the starting lineup at Sunnybank. I'm quietly hoping that he'll be joining the Reds squad soon - he's becoming more and more like Genia every day.

Nili is indeed contracted to the Force, and started on the wing for the Perth Spirit for the first half of the NRC.

Lakehm Aiono played one year of Colts at Souths, then moved to Sydney to play U20s for the Penrith Panthers following the birth of his son, but has since moved on to the Canberra Raiders U20s. I don't believe he plays every week, so he might be pop up in Rugby again in not too long.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
He's playing again, but did not want to trial. He's busy enough. You will see him in the butcher stripes again this year.

The Eagle

Stan Wickham (3)
"I could be wrong but I never saw a class no. 10 tonight which is a problem if we gonna face NSW. Tactical kicking, decision making under pressure, maybe tomorrow prove me wrong." - the breakdown

I thought that the #10 Stewart had a good game in the first (Chairman's XV) game and an even better game on Day 2 against GPS 1. I think he's a no fuss, quality #10 and think he deserved his selection. He did everything you have asked above, probably not as clinical in the game you saw first up
Last year in the u16's I saw at least two very good No. 10's, one of them was a huge guy from Churchie and the big red headed captain of BBC. What happened to those guys?

Michael Shaw

Frank Row (1)
Has any one had the chance to watch the recent Brisbane State High trials against Churchie and IGS, I heard there number 12/13 Rory brown has come out strong and is looking form? Anyone seen or heard anything?. Also there winger Shea Lalagavesi I've heard to be storming the other teams with his pace.

Matu Stun

Frank Row (1)
Has any one had the chance to watch the recent Brisbane State High trials against Churchie and IGS, I heard there number 12/13 Rory brown has come out strong and is looking form? Anyone seen or heard anything?. Also there winger Shea Lalagavesi I've heard to be storming the other teams with his pace.
Is it not Cory Brown?

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Just wanting to talk bout nationals next weeks guys, I'm reading some articles NSW forums and from what I'm reading they have 2 very strong teams, even the fact that it could potentially be another NSW final. I sure hope that's not the case however it has happened in the past. Hopefully that's where it stays!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Qld have some strong defence this year with a relative amount of speed in the back line. The pack may be a few kg short but having had a weeks training behind their belt and the experience levels in the scrum they should be on track on the technical side and working well together. If the team meshes well, front and back and they can create the gaps the boys should be able to score tries.

dargwad

Bob McCowan (2)
Appologies in advance if this has been already asked and answered. Does anyone know if the nationals are being live streamed next week?

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Good question, I know they usually have copies available to purchase of each game on memory stick but it would be good if there was live streaming.

dargwad

Bob McCowan (2)
Good question, I know they usually have copies available to purchase of each game on memory stick but it would be good if there was live streaming.

Just had confirmation from ASRU that there will be streaming and links will be on the ASRU website.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No live streaming that I know of for nationals, but They will have the cameras there with game copies for sale at about $20 each. One camera coverage, in HD with the referee miked up. Reasonably good value.

Will there be anyone from Queensland coming down to Sydney? After a couple of G&GR Sydney based interns have "pulled a hamstring" in the team warmup, We are looking for some folk to come off the bench, or the shadow squad and cover a couple of games to ease some of the workload off Lee Grant and The Usual Suspect.

Nothing fancy is needed, just record who scored what, the general vibe of the game, and a couple of names from each team that seemed to stand out. 300 words or so. Anyone interested, please send a "conversation" to Lee Grant and myself using the "Inbox" button at the top right next to your user name. Thanks.

Back to the Rugby.

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
Why is it NSW have a u16 state championship and Qld do not. If Qld Colleges etc are going to continue and bring back 18 year olds for a third year of senior surely this is an option. I read that students have experience, but if they can't make it after one go in year 12 why not give the "traditional age" lads a go. If we are going have "boys" qualify that from schools that have average squad ages above 18 yrs this must be a consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.