• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Yesterdays game was a warm up for todays gps1 v gps2 game olayers and positions will be decided then. AIC 1 5 will be in QLD 1 .watch for gps 1 .players 10, 1, 20, 2 to bounce back today

dare i day it mate v mate and school v school and brother v bother if Farrell gets on for GPS 2 - a real backyard scrap. the older brother may have been MOM in GPS 1 last night. 4 turnovers i counted.
Nganmanu v Robertson at 15 is mouthwatering but can Robertson tackle like Nganmanu?
lets hope both 10s play better.
when a certain ACGS boy comes on be ready to hear someone scream " come on Jimmy do somthing" lol

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
after watching BBC v TSS last week and watching the games last night i am stunned that:
1) there is no big tackle shredding number 8 s like the 2 boys from BBC and TSS that day. gps teams had stringbean lock look a likes at 8( think Wycliff Palu)
2) the poor play of all number 10s. GPS 1 number 10 had a shocker. call me crazy but if it does not improve today , for Qld 1 i would look at moving GPS 1 number 15 to 10 ( how many tries did he set up up?)and Robertson of GPS 2 to 15 in Qld1
NSW 1 have an aussie scoolboy from last year at 10 - and the kid caaaan play.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
How many players in a chess team.?
Mooney is a great coach and a great mentor.

they had special dispensation last year and were allowed to pack with 4, sometimes 5 and who cares how many is in a chess team. That's like asking how many in a game of shuffleboard on a cruise ship...

correcto - Mooney is very good.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
after watching BBC v TSS last week and watching the games last night i am stunned that:
1) there is no big tackle shredding number 8 s like the 2 boys from BBC and TSS that day. gps teams had stringbean lock look a likes at 8( think Wycliff Palu)
2) the poor play of all number 10s. GPS 1 number 10 had a shocker. call me crazy but if it does not improve today , for Qld 1 i would look at moving GPS 1 number 15 to 10 ( how many tries did he set up up?)and Robertson of GPS 2 to 15 in Qld1

Guys there will be players that make the Qld squad that have not trialled.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Son has just told me maroon yellow numbers 22 is actually 10 for TSS maybe they will play him there today. Agree no good 10s from last nights trials. May see something today.

If your son is a teenager, not much chance that he told you anything before 7am today.....

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
last night CSS beat GPS 3
today
GPS 3 thumped Chairmans
Aic just beat CSS
GPS 1 and GPS 2 drew 26 all
Again GPS 1 scrum got dished up . thank god for 15 or GPS1 would have lost
A fewquestions for GPS 1 selectors from the people i sat with:
1) why pick a front row that was clearly the weakest of all 5 teams;?
2) why pick a 9 and 10 that have trouble passing and a 12 they does not pass when there is an overlap;?
3) why pick the best 13 in the state on the wing today ?
4) why not pick a big rumbling number 8 as cover if Hewat got injured?(as he did)
if Qld1 or qld 2 get within 25 points of NSW 1 then I will admit you know what you are doing .until then everyone i was with were scratching their heads.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Son has just told me maroon yellow numbers 22 is actually 10 for TSS maybe they will play him there today. Agree no good 10s from last nights trials. May see something today.

i
last night CSS beat GPS 3
today
GPS 3 thumped Chairmans
Aic just beat CSS
GPS 1 and GPS 2 drew 26 all
Again GPS 1 scrum got dished up . thank god for 15 or gPS 1 would have lost
Acfew questions for GPS 1 selectors:
1) why pick a front row that was clearly the weakest of all 5 teams;?
2) why pick a 9 and 10 that have trouble passing and a 12 they does not pass when there is an overlap;?
3) why pick the best 13 in the state on the wing today ?
4) why not pick a big rumbling number 8 as cover if Hewat got injured?(as he did)
if Qld1 or qld 2 get within 25 points of NSW 1 then I will admit you know what you are doing .until then everyone i was with were scratching their heads.

i agree with everything you say . disappointing game GPS1 forwards were outplayed again and their backs kept them in it
very noticeable that:
Otoole of Padua is best number 1 in Qld
GPS 1 played better when 1,2 9 and 10 went off
10 for GPS 2 from TGS was the best 10 in the trials
12 for CSS is good
why move 13 from GPS 1 to wing ???
15 for GPS 1may have been best player there and overshadowed GPS 2 from IGS
GPS 11 from BBC set up 2 good tries.
we have found a 10 in stewart from TGS in GPS 2 and a 2 in Maafu from GPS 2 from IGS .
we also found a 6 in Meni from NC in GPS 2

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
saw the 1st 2 games at Ballymore tonight
GPS 2 put 42 points on Chairmans.
Robertson at 15 from IGS looked good .
GPS 1 beat AIC 40 to 5 and had 1 try awarded then overturned and bombed many others.
all NC supporters and aussie selectors looked glum as both Hewatt and Luka went off injured.
The GPS front row got out scrummed in my opinion and only Farrell of BBC at 7 ( who was everywhere) looked good in forwards in 1st half but even he faded in second half.
i am sorry to say that Mosely of NC at 10 had a night to forget and 9' of BGS struggled to clear the ball and was caught a number of times.
i was disappointed in Smit of BSHS at 12 - who went back inside a lot and bombed a few tries with his passing.
But the back 4 looked brilliant . ikatu of BBC at 13 scored 2 cracking tries and got the " we have seen enough sign" 10 mins in 2 nd half.
by my calculations Ngamanu of BBC at 15 set up 4 tries including 2 to Riley of TSS and 1 to veravis of BBC at 11 . Riley looked unstoppable.
overall there was a lot of dropped ball but the back 4 from GPS were too strong and fast
Otoole of Padua at 1 more than held his own.i was disappointed with the forwards of GPS 1 particularly the front row which i expected to dominate.They really needed a big rumbling number 8.after Hewatt went off.
IMO , ( much like last year) Hewat , Luka,Tamoua- Swain, Farrell , ikatu, ngmanu, Riley ,Veravis and Otoole have 1 foot in Qld1 socks.
No surprise really as 5 of them were at Nationals last year, 3 are in aussie 7 train on squad and Ikatu was injured last year( but good judges tell me he would have been in the mix).

B&W
if you are correct ( and i think you are)then Qld 1 is IMO;
1otoole
2maafu
3luka
4tamoua-swain VC
number 5??? maybe Elordi from NC or McKinnon of AIC
6meni
7Farrell( but he was quiet today)
Hewat at 8 and captain
9Lenac or Baker of Aic
10 Stewart
11veravis
12 munchow of CSS
13 ikatu ( cant believe they played him at wing today. Lunacy)
14 Riley
15 Ngamanu
16?coventry of CSS

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yesterdays game was a warm up for todays gps1 v gps2 game olayers and positions will be decided then. AIC 1 5 will be in QLD 1 .watch for gps 1 .players 10, 1, 20, 2 to bounce back today

sorry to say that this did not happen and GPS 1 played better when 9,10,1 and 2 went off at halftime . 20 went well.

i agree those big forwards in NSW 1 will be licking their 18 year old lips. bring the scrum doctor in if there is one .but NOT the scrum coach for Aussie under 20s ,Their scrum was woeful.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
B&W
1otoole
2maafu
3luka
4tamoua-swain VC
number 5??? maybe Elordi from NC
6meni
Hewat at 8 and captain
9Lenac
10 Stewart
11veravis
12 munchow of CSS
14 Riley
15 Ngamanu
16?coventry of CSS
Agreed GPS 1 # 5 & 9 not ready for Qld 1, # 20 had a good game. They missed the injured 1, 8 & 14 today. GPS 2 #9 played well and should make Qld 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
B&W
1otoole
2maafu
3luka
4tamoua-swain VC
number 5??? maybe Elordi from NC or McKinnon of AiC
6meni
Hewat at 8 and captain
9Lenac or Baker of Aic
10 Stewart
11veravis
12 munchow of CSS
14 Riley
15 Ngamanu
16?coventry of CSS

and 17 " Jimmy"

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Teams up on Reds Website
http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...t-Australian-Schools-Rugby-Championships.aspx

Queensland 1
1. Harry HOOPERT, Prop, Toowoomba Grammar School
2. Efitusi MA'AFU, Hooker, Ipswich Grammar School
3. Gavin LUKA, Prop, St Joseph’s Nudgee College
4. Darcy SWAIN, Lock, Brisbane Boys College
5. Zac SHEPHERD, Lock, Brisbane State High School
6. Kalala MENI, Flanker, St Joseph's Nudgee College
7. Angus ALLEN, Flanker, The Southport School
8. Reece HEWAT, No 8, St Joseph's Nudgee College
9. Jordan LENAC, Scrumhalf, The Southport School
10. Hamish STEWART, Flyhalf, Toowoomba Grammar School
11. Kris VEREVIS, Wing, Brisbane Boys College
12. Tony HUNT, Inside Centre, St Joseph's Nudgee College
13. Len IKITAU, Outside Centre, Brisbane Boys College
14. Dylan RILEY, Wing, The Southport School
15. Jayden NGAMANU, Fullback, Brisbane Boys College
16. Matthew FAESSLER, Reserve Hooker, Toowoomba Grammar School
17. Jordan TUPAI-UI, Reserve Prop, St Columban's College, CSS
18. Calum BALL, Reserve Prop, The Southport School
19. Michael WOOD, Reserve Lock, Padua College, AIC
20. James MacMILLAN, Reserve Back Row, Anglican Church Grammar School
21. Joshua VUTA, Reserve Half , Somerset College, CSS
22. Tyler CAMPBELL, Reserve Inside Back, The Southport School
23. Willie MALALA, Reserve Outside Back, St Joseph's Nudgee College

Queensland 2
1. Braden SCHILLER, Prop, Ipswich Grammar School
2. Tevita 'UNGA WOLSKE, Hooker, Ipswich Grammar School
3. Joel KUCHEL, Prop, Anglican Church Grammar School
4. Emmanuel LATU-MEAFOU, Lock, Ipswich Grammar School
5. Harry HOCKINGS, Lock, Anglican Church Grammar School
6. Louis SCHWENKE, Flanker, Padua College, AIC
7. Jack FARRELL, Flanker, Brisbane Boys College
8. Sam WALLIS, No 8, Anglican Church Grammar School
9. Rueben WALL, Scrumhalf, St Joseph's College, Gregory Terrace
10. Liam MOSELEY, Flyhalf, St Joseph's Nudgee College
11. Ben SIMPSON, Wing, Brisbane Boys College
12. Matthew SMIT, Inside Centre, Brisbane State High School
13. Michael WOLSTENHOLME, Outside Centre, Brisbane Grammar School
14. Kailab COVENTRY, Wing, Kirwan State High School, CSS
15. Geoffrey ROBERTSON, Fullback, Ipswich Grammar School
16. Sean FARRELL, Reserve Hooker, Brisbane Boys College
17. Tom O'TOOLE, Reserve Prop, Padua College, AIC
18. Lachlan FOULDS, Reserve Prop, Brisbane Boys College
19. Harrison BARTKOWSKI, Reserve Lock, Brisbane Grammar School
20. Justin SIKIMETI, Reserve Back Row, St Patrick's College, AIC
21. Max BAKER, Reserve Half, Villanova College, AIC
22. Tiaontin RAOREN, Reserve Inside Back, Brisbane Boys College
23. Ashton WATSON, Reserve Outside Back, Toowoomba Grammar School

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
38/46 GPS players, 5/46 AIC players, 3/46 CSS players..

That's one of the stronger GPS classes so far, then - the most I've ever seen was 41/46 back in 2010 I believe.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
B&W
1otoole
2maafu
3luka
4tamoua-swain VC
number 5??? maybe Elordi from NC or McKinnon of AIC
6meni
Hewat at 8 and captain
9Lenac or Baker of Aic
10 Stewart
11veravis
12 munchow of CSS
14 Riley
15 Ngamanu
16?coventry of CSS

so i got 12out of 15!!
cant agree that otoole is a reserve for Qld2

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)

Big athletic number 8 s like Harley Fox or Jake Schatz only come around every 5 years in Qld.
In NSW they come around every 2 years but are quickly snapped up by NRL ;
Angus Crichton now at South Sydney
Tapea moera now at parramatta
Taan Milne now at Roosters
So sad that Morea who as described as the most exciting Aussie schoolboy rugby player since Quade Cooper when he played in 2013 Aussie Schoolboys side was just described by Peter Stirlong as
" the best young NRL player in a decade "

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
You hit the hammer on the nail mate!, big problems ahead. Sure hope qld coaching staff work hard on certain areas, forwards in particular, SIZE is definitely missing and aggression to go with it. I know 2 no.8s that have those qualities but not considered, faaaaarout! Qld1 & Qld2 gona struggle. If we push qld1 15 up to 10, are we gona lose opportunities for our wingers as he seems to create options out wide? Has qld2 got that?, is his defense solid?i hope I'm wrong. Good luck to all the boys selected and work damn hard for us onlookers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Big athletic number 8 s like Harley Fox or Jake Schatz only come around every 5 years in Qld.
In NSW they come around every 2 years but are quickly snapped up by NRL ;
Angus Crichton now at South Sydney
Tapea moera now at parramatta
Taan Milne now at Roosters
So sad that Morea who as described as the most exciting Aussie schoolboy rugby player since Quade Cooper when he played in 2013 Aussie Schoolboys side was just described by Peter Stirlong as
" the best young NRL player in a decade "

Boy oh boy has this post missed the mark...

First: Milne and Moeroa were both centres, not No.8s

Second: I wouldn't describe Harley Fox as a "big" athletic Number 8 - at 6 foot peanuts, he's going to wind up in the front row eventually. I hope for his development's sake it's sooner rather than later - it was the same decision confronting the similarly sized James Slipper at around the same age.

Third: Not sure where you're getting your "every five years" number? athletic bruisers have always been dime a dozen in Queensland Rugby.

Emry Pere (TSS 14/15), Ben Gunter (BBC 13/14/15), Jamason Fa'anana-Schultz (IGS 12/13), Lolo Fakaosilea (BBC 12), Adam Korcyzk (BSHS 11/12), David Findlay-Henaway (TSS 11/12), Maclean Jones (NC 12/13), Jayden Rodwell (NC 12/13), Anton Minnecko (TGS 11/12), Evander Guttenbeil (TSS 12/13), Joel Brown (TSS 13). Daniel Sitanilei (GT 2012). Reece Hewat (NC 13/14/15). Lachie Oppenheimer (Churchie 11/12).

Not to mention players in other positions that could easily be subbed in to 8 in the last five years..

Angus Scott-Young (Churchie 13/14). Phil Potgieter (TGS 11/12). Ben Laxon (GT 12/13). Tom Perkins (TSS 13). Jake Upfield (TSS 12/13). Izack Rodda (IGS 13/14). Jacob Elordi (NC 14). Emmanuel Meafou (IGS 14). Tipene Mavoa (TSS 14/15). Luke Papworth (TSS 12/13). Kareem Tuuga (BBC 13/14). Bronson Tuuakipulu (BBC 12/13).

I could literally go on forever. Physicality in the forwards has never been an issue for Queensland selectors.

That's not even mentioning quality Number 8s that wouldn't be described bruisers...

Jack Cornelson, Trey Kemp, Paddy Dooley (all BGS, 2012-2014) were all skillful toilers. George Cox from GT, Rhys Martin from TGS, Tuaina Tualima from BSHS.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Reece Hewat is good, he brings aggression and mobility and should definitely be in the pack but we will be missing a Big no 8 the likes of Emery Pere (TSS) to compliment the fwd's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.