• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Green and Gold Rugby Queensland Schools Coverage

Green and Gold Rugby are the unequivocal leaders of Schools Rugby coverage in Australia.

I can't think of any better amateur coverage of Schools Rugby in the southern hemisphere, or even the world.

Currently the GPS Rugby coverage team has no one slated to contribute in 2015: What this means is that on the current course, Queensland Schools Rugby on GAGR will be taking an indefinite break.

If this sounds as shit to you as it does to me, please send me a message to find a way you can help.

If you're an amateur photographer looking to have your GPS Rugby photos admired by all and sundry, send a selection through to me and we'll get them published on the front page.

If you're planning on attending any games this season, send me your thoughts after the game even briefly and I'll help you convert that in to a match report.

If you're a student with ambitions to pursue journalism of any form, this gig with Green and Gold is literally the best possible thing to add to your resume at this stage of your career.

Since my time with GAGR, three reporters in the Schools bureau have been recruited directly into the QRU Communications Department on the strength of their portfolios on this site.

Writing weekly copy to a deadline will help hone your journalistic skills - and, perhaps more importantly, will allow you to develop your own expertise on the future of Queensland Rugby.

To give you an example, 59 players from the class of 2012 have debuted in Premier Grade since graduating - 22 more have since gone on to represent professional sports teams, ranging from Stade Francais to the Brisbane Broncos to the Melbourne Rebels.

Having watched all these young guns at school, a Green and Gold Schools Rugby reporter is uniquely situated to comment on the state of Rugby in Queensland.

If any of the above sounds like something you might be interested getting involved with, please contact me and I can discuss any questions you might have.

Cheers

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
It will be a cracking game but I'll tip the home team by 2
All trial games this time of year are exactly that, a trial I was at the game as well and noticed that BSHS had none of their GPS Schools reps playing (Marty Koortz was running water for BSHS). IGS had done the same with only one of their forward pack playing half a game. (front 3 players running water for IGS).
What was noticable was that BSHS won the first half by 3 tries (one from an intercept and the other two from players not being held down in the tackle and being able to get up and brake the line to score).
In the second half, the starting 4,9,10,11 and 12 we introduced to the game by IGS. This changed the game totally and BSHS never carried the ball over half way. I'm sure BSHS made changes as well, but couldn't work them out as they weren't wearing numbers. To BSHS credit their defence was strong and repelled many strong attacks from out wide and up the middle. BSHS only let in two tries.
As I said at the start, it was a trial and both coaches gave their whole squad a good run.
It will be interesting to see how the BSHS and IGS players, who are in the Schoolboys Trials come through after the two games. I don't think either team has the depth in their squads if they get injuries to their key players (but this has always been an issue for these two schools).

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Rumour has it that Harrison Bartowski has got a full scholarship to Yale for Rugby next year, based on a few of his connections within the Ivy League division I-AA. Hopefully he'll be playing with that sort of skill in GPS 2 this afternoon, increasing his odds of a QLD Schoolboy's rep. selection along with fellow Grammar boys Halliday, Levitt, Fison, Wolstenholme and McReight.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Rumour has it that Harrison Bartowski has got a full scholarship to Yale for Rugby next year, based on a few of his connections within the Ivy League division I-AA. Hopefully he'll be playing with that sort of skill in GPS 2 this afternoon, increasing his odds of a QLD Schoolboy's rep. selection along with fellow Grammar boys Halliday, Levitt, Fison, Wolstenholme and McReight.

I'm looking forward to the blue bags giving some teams a fright this year...no doubt with Mooney at the helm and some very good coaches running the firsts they will play a smart brand of rugby.

I'm sure the First IV Chess team won't be the front row again this year.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'm looking forward to the blue bags giving some teams a fright this year.no doubt with Mooney at the helm and some very good coaches running the firsts they will play a smart brand of rugby.

I'm sure the First IV Chess team won't be the front row again this year.

How many players in a chess team.?
Mooney is a great coach and a great mentor.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
saw the 1st 2 games at Ballymore tonight
GPS 2 put 42 points on Chairmans.
Robertson at 15 from IGS looked good .
GPS 1 beat AIC 40 to 5 and had 1 try awarded then overturned and bombed many others.
all NC supporters and aussie selectors looked glum as both Hewatt and Luka went off injured.
The GPS front row got out scrummed in my opinion and only Farrell of BBC at 7 ( who was everywhere) looked good in forwards in 1st half but even he faded in second half.
i am sorry to say that Mosely of NC at 10 had a night to forget and 9' of BGS struggled to clear the ball and was caught a number of times.
i was disappointed in Smit of BSHS at 12 - who went back inside a lot and bombed a few tries with his passing.
But the back 4 looked brilliant . ikatu of BBC at 13 scored 2 cracking tries and got the " we have seen enough sign" 10 mins in 2 nd half.
by my calculations Ngamanu of BBC at 15 set up 4 tries including 2 to Riley of TSS and 1 to veravis of BBC at 11 . Riley looked unstoppable.
overall there was a lot of dropped ball but the back 4 from GPS were too strong and fast
Otoole of Padua at 1 more than held his own.i was disappointed with the forwards of GPS 1 particularly the front row which i expected to dominate.They really needed a big rumbling number 8.after Hewatt went off.
IMO , ( much like last year) Hewat , Luka,Tamoua- Swain, Farrell , ikatu, ngmanu, Riley ,Veravis and Otoole have 1 foot in Qld1 socks.
No surprise really as 5 of them were at Nationals last year, 3 are in aussie 7 train on squad and Ikatu was injured last year( but good judges tell me he would have been in the mix).

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
I agree with most of what you say but maybe you are not giving enough for credit to AIC forwards
The AIC backs were slower and much smaller than the gPS backs.
9 for AIC played well but why the hell did 10 for AIC keeping kicking the ball to 15 for GpS who would counter attack and set up his wingers every time ?
Yes 7 for gPS 1 had a blinder in first half and 22 Campbell of TSS added impact when he came on.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Also got down to GPS 1 and 2. GPS 2 were very impressive, Kalala Meni and Tony Hunt were both brutal in defence and attack. Meni most likely has a Queensland 1 jersey, damaging runs and speed of most outside backs...especially given the mediocre performance from Wallis. Efi Maafu would also be worthy of selection in Queensland 1, great work rate and highly effective ball runner. Wolstenholme and Fison of BGS also worth a look in with some nice plays on their side of the field. Harry Bartkowski along with the #5 performed solidly in the second row. Robertson of IGS was outstanding, but hard to go past Ngamanu. Farrell was involved in basically everything, solid in defence and attack. As for Halliday, IMO, he passed with great accuracy and provided great service to Mosley and his fowards (Wall of GPS 3 seemed to be having an off night with a few loose passes). Hoopert was outstanding, damaging runner (although the scrums were a concern for GPS 1 early on). Any comments from GPS 3 game?

Jtupou

Frank Row (1)
New to all this GPS system seems that you have to be GPS based school my boys just started at BSHS, some of his school were trialling do we went along for a look. The maroon jersey with yellow numbers looked good not sure on who they are but liked the look of the 15,and 13. The 10 had some kicking and catching issues as well as got yellow carded & a try taken off & a penalty given. The number 22 when he came on looked good very strong runner & scored, seemed to have made a difference. In the other game maroon jersey with white numbers the 15 was good and 21 was good.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
I could be wrong but I never saw a class no. 10 tonight which is a problem if we gonna face NSW. Tactical kicking, decision making under pressure, maybe tomorrow prove me wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
New to all this GPS system seems that you have to be GPS based school my boys just started at BSHS, some of his school were trialling do we went along for a look. The maroon jersey with yellow numbers looked good not sure on who they are but liked the look of the 15,and 13. The 10 had some kicking and catching issues as well as got yellow carded & a try taken off & a penalty given. The number 22 when he came on looked good very strong runner & scored, seemed to have made a difference. In the other game maroon jersey with white numbers the 15 was good and 21 was good.

great summary . spot on .

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Yesterdays game was a warm up for todays gps1 v gps2 game olayers and positions will be decided then... AIC 1 5 will be in QLD 1 ...watch for gps 1 ...players 10, 1, 20, 2 to bounce back today

Jtupou

Frank Row (1)
I could be wrong but I never saw a class no. 10 tonight which is a problem if we gonna face NSW. Tactical kicking, decision making under pressure, maybe tomorrow prove me wrong.

Son has just told me maroon yellow numbers 22 is actually 10 for TSS maybe they will play him there today. Agree no good 10s from last nights trials. May see something today.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)

how did 10 in GPS 3 play .
the 10 s in gps 1 and 2 were poor.
NSW 1 have wonderkid Jack McGregor from Riverview back for 2nd stint in number 10 . big concern

Status
Not open for further replies.