• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Well Rowing does not have the history that Rugby has. Remember not all members of GPS have been involved in Rowing from the start. And the number of competitors/participants are not as great as Rugby.

I think Rugby is the premier GPS sport in terms of participation, number of events, history and national focus. So I think the "Ayes" have it!

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Nothing was being put to any vote, Sage and I do agree with some of what you say re : The National Focus of Rugby and the greater number of participants relative to any other team sport at GPS Schools.

I am not suggesting that Rugby , Rowing and Track and Field are a package deal in where they sit in the GPS Sporting Calendar but they are complementary in where they sit and I don't believe this is without design.

For what its worth , I note New Zealand schools run Rowing in Term 1 and Rugby in Term 2 , and , for boys in Senior School ( academically ) there is probably a lot to be said for getting their primary sporting commitments out of the way in the first part of the year.

I am not sure about your point in where you see the benefit to Term 2 ? Correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was to do with selection disadvantage in GPS /QLD/Australian Schoolboy Trials ? That more QLD GPS Boys would be selected if they were playing their Rugby Term 2 ?

Maybe incrementally.

But first of all , QLD has always been well represented

Secondly , and generally speaking, the right talent is identified across 1 and 2 Teams at QLD and Australian Schoolboy levels. On a broader level I trust that the talent net works well - Jake McIntyre being picked up from Alstonville High a couple of years ago is a great example of this.

Thirdly , The Australian Schools representative season as administered by the ARU runs September / October - so therefore , in reverse , QLD GPS Boys that make it through maybe at a higher game playing advantage when the Australian Schools campaign starts . The best example of this I can think of is a couple of years ago when Jonah Placid and Lolo Fakaosilea were the two standouts with genuine game winning plays in the Australian Schools victory over New Zealand schools in New Zealand - the first time Australian Schools had beaten New Zealand Schools in New Zealand for god knows how long .

And I'm sure God , otherwise known as Hugh Jarse , could tell us.

Lastly , and I'm sure this will come as a complete shock to many , GPS Schools and their Heads of Sport / Co- Curricular , do not orientate their Schools around one singular endeavour . And because they don't this is why they won't change their whole program to suit one sport because of a school of thought it would ' work better" for that sport in how it syncs and relates to how that sport is administered by other external bodies.

I can assure you they couldn't care less . And even moreso to the extent it disrupts a carefully planned whole curriculum offering

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
The other broader point I would make is this :

Schools are by their very nature Academic institutions .

The choices for top tier student -athletes playing top level Rugby while continuing with their studies ( after they leave school ) , are becoming more challenged and more limited , as "pathways" compel a greater level of commitment than what studying for a profession may allow for those young men.

Whereas the true "student-athlete" pathways in Track and Field , Tennis , Basketball , Rowing , and even Volleyball are much more identifiable and accessible in a global offering / life experience - for those that may be attracted to working toward College scholarships abroad in all of these sports that do afford quality academic offerings wrapped around further athletic / sporting development.

Again, Directors of Sport / Heads of Curriculum care about stuff like this as well they should .

Whilst its important for GPS Schools to dine off "Rugby Glory" - Directors of Sport / Heads of Curriculum aren't too fussed about bringing in short timers for one reason , whereby , in doing so , they miss a greater opportunity for a quality education

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Thanks GO.
Long gone are the days where a boys was able to Row / play Cricket, Football, Rugby, Tennis and track and field in a year. There are exceptions. But now if a boy is showing promise (elite) in any particular sport then that sport becomes almost a year round commitment. Not only driven from a school level but also from a sports organisation body.
The other fact needed to be considered is that only a small percentage of boys who play in the top team at school carry that through to a higher level. This may change due to the dedicated year round training. I do worry that "we" are driving the boys to choose a sport too early but that is another issue.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Quite right Hound

My son is out of Tennis for 6 months with stress fractures largely due to the fact that he plays year round and when I have encouraged him to step away and try some other things ( extolling the virtues of cross functional movement for longer term athletic development ) I was told I don't understand and the answer is to hit more balls. He now has had to learn the lesson the hard way.

I see a lot of young Rugby players obsessed with putting on weight to get bigger around the 14 to 15 year old age group and they do that , not in a good way , and start trying to squat and lift that roots their already poor bio-mechanics

As to how this part of the conversation got started on this thread - I do see GPS Schools trying to schedule sports that align well in how they relate to each other :

1. Volleyball - Term 1 / Basketball - Term 3
2. Volleyball - Term 1 / Tennis - Term 2
3. Tennis - Term 2 / Basketball - Term 3
4. Rowing- Term 4/1 - Rugby Term - 2/3
5. Rugby -Term 2/3 - Track and Field - Term 4
6. Swimming - Term 1 / Football Term 2 or Basketball Term 3 etc
7. Cross Country - Term 2 - Track and Field Term 4
8. Cricket - Term 1 - Football - Term 2 or Basketball Term 3 or Track and Field Term 4

Of course ........boys will do what they are interested in and this type of complementary offering isn't so linear in boys minds - but the reality is 2 sport complementary offerings to Body Shape types are set up in the scheduling of the Sporting Programs to get this cross-pollination , again , around a concept of cross functional and complementary movement in longer term athletic development

All of which means - there is a snow flakes chance in hell that Rugby is rescheduled to a Term 2 offering in GPS Schools ( irrespective of popularity around the concept for whatever the reasons may be )

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
[

The Ipswich 13's deserve poll position presently - especially after they ripped Terrace 13's apart last weekend 60 zip , and , given that they caned everyone pretty easily last year.

It is their premiership to lose[/quote]

holy shit.60 zip.
I thought the GT 13As looked pretty good against BBC the other week.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
Very interesting points discussed about the term 2/3 change here. One thing that the AIC actually changed this year was their First XV game times. The original 3:15pm kick off was changed to 1:30pm this year and crowd numbers dropped dramatically. Lesson learnt, I think the 3:15pm kick off will be returning next year. Hopefully the GPS don't go down the same road with changing game times. I think this change was due to the introduction of the year 5-12 competition. It's a shame that the CIC isn't around anymore, was good to see AIC and GPS schools have the experience of versing each other in the younger grades.

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
[

The Ipswich 13's deserve poll position presently - especially after they ripped Terrace 13's apart last weekend 60 zip , and , given that they caned everyone pretty easily last year.

It is their premiership to lose

holy shit.60 zip.
I thought the GT 13As looked pretty good against BBC the other week.[/quote]
Can we start a new thread for 'term 2/3' so we can just discuss actual rugby here.

Didn't BSHS u/13's flog Ippy Grammar today?? I only watched 10 mins but from what i saw it was one way traffic.

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Didn't BSHS u/13's flog Ippy Grammar today?? I only watched 10 mins but from what i saw it was one way traffic.[/quote]

Just got some mail from tonights trial
U12 bshs by 7 tries to 2
U13 bshs by 15 tries to nil
U14 bshs by 6 to 2
U15 ippy 6 tries to 3
U16 and opens bshs 3-2

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
OMG we need a mercy rule in in 13A .
tss beat tgs
bbc beat tss
gt beat bbc
igs beat gt by 10 tries
BSHS beat IGS by 15 tries. what the hell happens when BSHS play tgs and bgs?100 nil is not good.
who said that RL boys would take time to adapt.!!!. the talk is true the 2014 QRL primary schools RL team was the best in a decade and a lot are at BSHS

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Can we start a new thread for 'term 2/3' so we can just discuss actual rugby here.

Not really much point - all the talk will die out in the next page or so.

Queensland Schools teams in the last ten years have average compositions of 75% GPS, 10% AIC and the remaining 15% miscellaneous - your Rocky Grammars, St Augustines, Siena etc.

The GPS Rugby change from Term 2 to Term 3 hasn't affected that at all, and in fact has only made the GPS representation stronger through 2012-2014.

I suspect the reason is that the perennial contenders start training around the summer break - so despite the AIC having completed their entire pre-season and competition games, the GPS Heavyweights have still been at it longer, at a higher level.

Meanwhile, soccer and Rugby aren't cannibalising each others numbers. Term 3 is here to stay.

OU812

Stan Wickham (3)
OMG we need a mercy rule in in 13A .
tss beat tgs
bbc beat tss
gt beat bbc
igs beat gt by 10 tries
BSHS beat IGS by 15 tries. what the hell happens when BSHS play tgs and bgs?100 nil is not good.
who said that RL boys would take time to adapt.!!!. the talk is true the 2014 QRL primary schools RL team was the best in a decade and a lot are at BSHS

Noticed quite a few Ippy 13a players not playing. I was told as many as 10 players rested, a chance for their b players to step up. BSHS 13a do look very strong though will be hard to beat.

As for best primary RL schools team in a decade that claim is made every year.

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
If you get bet by 80 plus you would want a new 15 not 10..
Just hope our BBC boys can hang in there for the session and beat 80% of the teams ....going to be an interesting time when we play ippy who i still rate as the best in u13 and u14 because i havent seen bshs u13 play ...

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
It was...but not make excuses just congratulate the other team and acknowledge their skill and give credit to your own players that played....

Status
Not open for further replies.