• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
No aic vs gps1 this year at all

Only aic vs gps3

Perhaps reality that aic comp is not as strong as gps is
Is setting in

No. I think it is safe to say that the top 3/4 teams in AIC this year are as strong as any GPS schools (minus there scholarship players many of whom are poached from the AIC comp but that is discussion for another forum).
The reality is that many of the top players opt to play in the Confraternity Shield Rugby League tournament with their mates rather than play a mere two games of rugby.
Less than a handful of players from the the eventual premiers Padua put their hand up for nomination whilst a significant number of other players touted to make AIC 1 also opted out preferring the week away up north.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
No. I think it is safe to say that the top 3/4 teams in AIC this year are as strong as any GPS schools (minus there scholarship players many of whom are poached from the AIC comp but that is discussion for another forum).
The reality is that many of the top players opt to play in the Confraternity Shield Rugby League tournament with their mates rather than play a mere two games of rugby.
Less than a handful of players from the the eventual premiers Padua put their hand up for nomination whilst a significant number of other players touted to make AIC 1 also opted out preferring the week away up north.

Your point?? Mate don't wanna burst your bubble, but if they don't play they don't play. If they prefer 5 kick, good for them, it's a free country, they are free to play it. Further, if AIC kid wants to go to a GPS school, on scholarship or not, he is free to do so.

Your grievance, if applicable, is with the AIC and Queensland rugby, who maybe are not providing the opportunity to play top rugby. But don't come on here and say or infer AIC is best, because you and I will know the facts within the month, and the history is not in your favour. Excuses or no excuses.

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
Your point?? Mate don't wanna burst your bubble, but if they don't play they don't play. If they prefer 5 kick, good for them, it's a free country, they are free to play it. Further, if AIC kid wants to go to a GPS school, on scholarship or not, he is free to do so.

Your grievance, if applicable, is with the AIC and Queensland rugby, who maybe are not providing the opportunity to play top rugby. But don't come on here and say or infer AIC is best, because you and I will know the facts within the month, and the history is not in your favour. Excuses or no excuses.

Friend, the point here is these boys are obviously going to choose to spend a week with their mates playing 'the other code' when they feel there is little chance of being selected in a Queensland side (that they could rightly make) due to there being a clear bias against them as a result of the school they are go to. This is FACT.
On the matter of moving from AIC to GPS (be that on scholarship or not) boys are inclined to move not for higher quality rugby but rather simply that the bias against them is removed. This too is also FACT.
To say that I claimed that AIC is better is a blatantly wrong and short-sighted thing to gather from the previous post. I am a fan and follower of The Great Public Schools rugby competition but my inclination (which is held by many others from GPS, AIC as well as outside sources) is that the level play is hardly far superior to that of the Associated Independent Colleges.
What we can most definitely agree on is that these players are a loss to Queensland Rugby. Undoubtedly, we are seeing the effects at the highest level already through the 2016 Reds campaign.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Yes, I would agree with you that the top AIC teams would give the GPS 2nd XV's a run for their money.
And that my friend, is why very few AIC boys make the cut as I'm pretty sure there's no 2nd XV GPS players in GPS 1, 2, or 3

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Churchie absolutely dominated Nudgee in the 16’s. The Nudgee 16’s on the other hand needed more composure I think, because when under pressure, they just did not know what to do. Don’t know whether this was due to it being their first trial or just because of a lack of coaching- but only time will tell.
Dominated is an interesting choice of words. If you are talking possession, yes, Churchie would of had 90%, but for all that possession only won 2 tries to 1. With that amount of ball they should of won by a country mile.
NC's D was top rate and had plenty of sting to it, but their line out was MIA.

With the firsts. If that was Churchies top forward pack they are in for a very long season, NC was pushing them around at scrum time, and from the packs I've seen to date it's been NC with the roller skates.

frotter

Allen Oxlade (6)

Hmmmm, it's one think to be ignorant, but it's another to open your mouth and prove it

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
Yes, I would agree with you that the top AIC teams would give the GPS 2nd XV's a run for their money.
And that my friend, is why very few AIC boys make the cut as I'm pretty sure there's no 2nd XV GPS players in GPS 1, 2, or 3

The clear bias against the quality players due to their school is why few make the cut, not lack of skill. This is a sad reality that has been ongoing for a long period of time. Unfortunately, people such as yourself are unable to recognize this.
As stated in a secondary post I am a fan and follower of GPS but it is clear to me amongst a large number of others that these AIC teams are that of quality and would not only compete but rather even beat many GPS teams. I think it is unreasonable to make such an outlandish (and clearly incorrect) statement to compare AIC to being of 2nd XV standard without visiting a local AIC game.

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
Hmmmm, it's one think to be ignorant, but it's another to open your mouth and prove it

Unfortunately this is going to be hard to prove as most of the top players will be at Confro due to the inherent bias against them and their schools.
As quoted in a secondary post this is a huge loss to Queensland Rugby and hopefully the effects will not be witnessed through future Reds teams.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
The clear bias against the quality players due to their school is why few make the cut, not lack of skill. This is a sad reality that has been ongoing for a long period of time. Unfortunately, people such as yourself are unable to recognize this.
As stated in a secondary post I am a fan and follower of GPS but it is clear to me amongst a large number of others that these AIC teams are that of quality and would not only compete but rather even beat many GPS teams. I think it is unreasonable to make such an outlandish (and clearly incorrect) statement to compare AIC to being of 2nd XV standard without visiting a local AIC game.
How is outlandish when you say an AIC team would be able to compete with a GPS team minus their scholarship players?
EDIT. therefore you are talking about playing a second string GPS teams.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)

Based upon last years QLD schoolboys trials I think that AIC, CSS and Chairmans was lucky to get what they did into the two QLD schoolboy teams.

What's more it is sad to see some players like Sikimeti, return to League. A waste of a position in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
The GPS competition is far superior and so it should be with the saturation of talent coming into the GPS competition. A couple of the top AIC sides would be competitive with the lower GPS sides but would not be able to match the depth of the top sides. Open the AIC up to scholarships as well as to allow a far greater spread of talent across 17 teams rather than 6/7 (GPS/AIC) combined. After watching a large number of AIC games over the last few years as well as GPS, the lower AIC teams are very poor and would struggle to get within 50 of the top GPS second sides. There are a number of AIC players that will be considered for Qld selection, however and rightly so will be dominated by GPS players.

Chazz

Frank Row (1)
Just a thought I think we should all wait and see who brings to the game instead of judging the ability of the AIC, surely they have some great players that would definitely make QLD

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)

lets remember that over the last 2 years GPS1 beat AIC 1 by 110 to 5 .
last year before any matches or trials BBC beat Ashgrove 65 to 5 a when Ashgrove were a week out from their 1St match

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
To be fair ........

I play wing did say better AIC teams would beat GPS teams without their scholarship players from the AIC Comp.

Personally , I think that statement is still outlandish - but , he still deserves to be referenced accurately

The recruitment base is more multi dimensional than just a few AIC kids being grabbed here and there , in addition to , the quality and focus of facilities and S and C programs and Coaching ( at least at the top end of programs ) also has an impact

No one should lose sight of the fact there is genuine comparative talent at AIC Schools but the issue is more than the talent pool is very thin , and so , it is much harder ( come opens rugby ) for that individual talent to get recognised in Schoolboy Rep when his team is getting thumped , and , as I Play wing references ( and I believe him ) - there is a reticence to nominate if they know the deck is loaded

And he is 100% correct that this is a massive loss for Rugby as it flows through the pathway

Simple Solution - ditch GPS and AIC Rep teams and CIS team and mix 6 teams and level the playing field , at least perceptively , to encourage the best of the best individual talent to nominate and participate

The other issue AIC Schools are dealing with in their broader catchment are the increasing rate of Rugby League players that they are drawing in over the last 10 to 15 years and how Rugby League is winning the turf war at junior levels

Albany , Arana Hills , Wests Mitchelton , ( Marist / Padua ) Springfield / Greater Ipswich , ( St Ed's / SLC ) Logan Corridor , ( SLC ) Bayside ( Iona / Villanova )

The U15 JGC was a real eye opener this year that underscores some of the points that I play wing raised .

Some of the best talent on show who ultimately played QLD U15 were AIC boys who were Rugby / League players that could just as easily ( and probably more likely to ) flip the bird to this outdated GPS v AIC concept come Opens and play Confraternity Shield ( they are still playing Rep Schools League and Rugby in the Met system in U15 ) and they are still connected to Club League - and ( I'm speculating ) are more socio - economically connected to the League heartlands and ethos

The QRU need to wake up and work better with the associations to try and take simple steps to level these playing fields ( a start as suggested above )

frotter

Allen Oxlade (6)
Its a little bit like the world we live in where the rich get richer, the poor get poorer, the stronger get stronger.

So to suggest the AIC Comp is as strong as the GPS comp in any way at all is a little redundant. As the above writer puts the facts are indisputable.

"lets remember that over the last 2 years GPS1 beat AIC 1 by 110 to 5 .
last year before any matches or trials BBC beat Ashgrove 65 to 5 a when Ashgrove were a week out from their 1St match " Quote from Country Jack.

Also to this BSHS without one training run beat Marist college by 8 tries to 0.

I am not suggesting for one moment that a school comp (AIC or GPS) gives better education, better quality of boys, more drug users etc etc.

But to suggest that an AIC team is at the same level as a GPS team is just ignorant. If you take into account all the resources, Coach's, Level of competition is almost impossible for an AIC team to reach that level.

To say that boys don't come to States because they think its stacked is also silly. In that of course the best players are going to come from the best competition as a general rule, not always, but as a general rule. And quite frankly all I hear there are excuses. IF you think your are good enough have a crack. Its only one mans opinion on one day.

But don't give me this rubbish and excuses on how AIC is a good as GPS and AIC players don't come because of blah blah blah.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I believe that if the kids want to play 5 kick let them. Rugby, has done poorly in the past in attracting these kids and I don't think Qld rugby throwing money at them will assist.

Let them go and have fun with their friends. Spend the money at club level and higher schools level. In terms of mixing the teams, great in theory, don't know if I trust the AIC or CSS process though.

Status
Not open for further replies.