• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
Those slamming the AIC should maybe recall the amount of Reds and Wallaby greats Marist and Lauries have provided over the years. I can tell you it's more than the likes of BBC, Ipswich and co. Those in this forum will deny it but the unauthenticity of the GPS comp is killing QLD schoolboy rugby and the fact AIC schools are supporting a league comp instead of putting forward their best players should be sending alarm bells. And for the record, I believe it was only a couple of years ago that the AIC had more Aussie Schoolboys than GPS. 2013 if I'm correct. And for the record Tristan Stanghorn isn't a Churchie product in my eye, he is an Iona product.

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
Those slamming the AIC should maybe recall the amount of Reds and Wallaby greats Marist and Lauries have provided over the years. I can tell you it's more than the likes of BBC, Ipswich and co. Those in this forum will deny it but the unauthenticity of the GPS comp is killing QLD schoolboy rugby and the fact AIC schools are supporting a league comp instead of putting forward their best players should be sending alarm bells. And for the record, I believe it was only a couple of years ago that the AIC had more Aussie Schoolboys than GPS. 2013 if I'm correct. And for the record Tristan Stanghorn isn't a Churchie product in my eye, he is an Iona product.

Could not have said it better myself

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)

No-one on here is slamming AIC, we have pointed out recent performances and questioned the need for change. We all know that AIC has produced some good rugby players in the past, but it will be based upon their performances who gets selected.

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
No-one on here is slamming AIC, we have pointed out recent performances and questioned the need for change. We all know that AIC has produced some good rugby players in the past, but it will be based upon their performances who gets selected.

Their performance or the school they come from?

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
What do you think?? Performance, I play wing, performance! The only measure.

If you truly believe that players are picked on performance why would you not be willing to try the aforementioned trialing system? I feel that you believe this would threaten the chances of the less talented and frankly unworthy GPS players making QLD teams as has been the case for some time.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Ok time to get back to GPS rugby 2016.

I think, I play wing you need to take the subject to either "scholarships" or "Qld schoolboys trails 2016".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
Ok time to get back to GPS rugby 2016.

I think, I play wing you need to take the subject to either "scholarships" or "Qld schoolboys trails 2016" not here anymore

When you know you get roasted so you tell the other person to seek refuge at another forum. :(

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I play wing, the system is designed so the best players in the AIC represent their school competition and the best players in the GPS represent their school competition.

From this, the players names are on a team sheets. A team sheet would list the players background most likely. They then watch all the boys run around. They then look back at the team sheets.

After looking at said sheets (as well as game play footage and their natural thoughts) the selectors select players based on their merit.

The players are totally free to make themselves available for selection or not based on their own lives, schoolwork and possible rugby careers.

It is true good rugby players come from the AIC, for example Lloyd Gornman? Who will probably captain state high this year.

Despite all your whining, it is obvious when you look at the recent history that the AIC sides have not been of the same standard. Do not blame this on bias. Maybe the system could be better used if players were mixed.... but everyone would still be selected on merit so it doesn't matter.

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
I play wing, the system is designed so the best players in the AIC represent their school competition and the best players in the GPS represent their school competition.

From this, the players names are on a team sheets. A team sheet would list the players background most likely. They then watch all the boys run around. They then look back at the team sheets.

After looking at said sheets (as well as game play footage and their natural thoughts) the selectors select players based on their merit.

The players are totally free to make themselves available for selection or not based on their own lives, schoolwork and possible rugby careers.

What you say is great in theory but I think it is well known that in rugby (as with many things in life) that politics are involved and the bias comes to the floor. Therefore in reality what you are saying is incorrect.
I totally agree that players are free to put themselves up for selection but as a result of the aforementioned they are not wanting to (Would you waste your time coming to trial knowing full well you're treated as just a dummy runner despite knowing you're as good if not better than your opposing man). This as fans of rugby is not what we want to be seeing. We want the best players trialing as it will help build Queensland schoolboy scene as well as future; premier grade, Reds and Wallabies sides.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)

You can say what you want about being a product - but playing with the likes of Sua and Croft have taken his game to a whole new level and young Tristan is a good chance to push the incumbent ( if fit - Ikatu of BBC) out of the Qld 1 team

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
No. I think it is safe to say that the top 3/4 teams in AIC this year are as strong as any GPS schools (minus there scholarship players many of whom are poached from the AIC comp but that is discussion for another forum).
The reality is that many of the top players opt to play in the Confraternity Shield Rugby League tournament with their mates rather than play a mere two games of rugby.
Less than a handful of players from the the eventual premiers Padua put their hand up for nomination whilst a significant number of other players touted to make AIC 1 also opted out preferring the week away up north.
No. I think it is safe to say that the top 3/4 teams in AIC this year are as strong as any GPS schools (minus there scholarship players many of whom are poached from the AIC comp but that is discussion for another forum).
The reality is that many of the top players opt to play in the Confraternity Shield Rugby League tournament with their mates rather than play a mere two games of rugby.
Less than a handful of players from the the eventual premiers Padua put their hand up for nomination whilst a significant number of other players touted to make AIC 1 also opted out preferring the week away up north.
I have a son that plays for St Pats and one that plays for BSHS. So as you can imagine I watch a lot of rugby. From memory BSHS beat Marist 8 tries to nil in their off season, with barely a training season. From memory I think BSHS flogged St Pats in the off season as well. Remembering that the AIC season has only just finished and the GPS season is still a month away. I consider the BSHS first fifteen slightly below average in the GPS competition. So to say that the top 3/4 AIC teams would compete at the GPS level is absolutely ludicrious.

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
I have a son that plays for St Pats and one that plays for BSHS. So as you can imagine I watch a lot of rugby. From memory BSHS beat Marist 8 tries to nil in their off season, with barely a training season. From memory I think BSHS flogged St Pats in the off season as well. Remembering that the AIC season has only just finished and the GPS season is still a month away. I consider the BSHS first fifteen slightly below average in the GPS competition. So to say that the top 3/4 AIC teams would compete at the GPS level is absolutely ludicrious.

I cannot comment on the Ashgrove game but BSHS certainly did not 'flog' SPC in what was a pre-season match for both teams. I could not tell you for sure which team actually won on the day. What I do know though is that St Pats had mostly 16A and 2nd XV players on the field making the most of the 'trial' game. I imagine this was a similar situation with Ashgrove as they have a strong history of fielding significantly weaker teams in trials. Last year in the same warm-up match St Pats even came away with the win against BSHS.

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
I cannot comment on the Ashgrove game but BSHS certainly did not 'flog' SPC in what was a pre-season match for both teams. I could not tell you for sure which team actually won on the day. What I do know though is that St Pats had mostly 16A and 2nd XV players on the field making the most of the 'trial' game. I imagine this was a similar situation with Ashgrove as they have a strong history of fielding significantly weaker teams in trials. Last year in the same warm-up match St Pats even came away with the win against BSHS.

"I Play Wing" or should I call you "Sir Knight, the Black Knight, who never loses a fight and never backs down!", one thinks your fight is lost and you have suffered more than mere flesh wounds.

The good Knights of the GPS Round Table have won, King Arthur has stolen all your knights, time to let it go!!

Just in case your age leaves you in the dark as to what I speak of!

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Wouldn't it be great if there was an "in Between comp"

I cant imagine anyone but a few die hard AIC supporters having any interest in this at all - I could think of many better ways to spend a few 'extra weeks' of rugby.

Why are we even discussing this, rightly or wrongly GPS left AIC behind a number of years back and that wont change for the foreseeable future.

frotter

Allen Oxlade (6)
"I Play Wing" or should I call you "Sir Night, the Black Night, who never loses a fight and never backs down!", one thinks your fight is lost and you have suffered more than mere flesh wounds.

The good nights of the GPS Round Table have won, King Arthur has stolen all your knights, time to let it go!!

that was very funny

I play on the wing, sorry mate but you got owned, maybe just be quiet now.

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
"I Play Wing" or should I call you "Sir Knight, the Black Knight, who never loses a fight and never backs down!", one thinks your fight is lost and you have suffered more than mere flesh wounds.

The good Knights of the GPS Round Table have won, King Arthur has stolen all your knights, time to let it go!!

Its good to see we share a mutual love of Monty Python.

I think a more appropriate video reference would be Braveheart (yes the one with William Wallace) where the underdog Scotland (AIC) takes on and indeed triumphs over the bigoted, ignorant and much larger England (GPS)

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
That has about as much chance of happening as Mel Gibson winning an oscar.
I see AIC 1 does not even play GPS 1 any more.
Watching last years 55-5 shellacking-it became obvious that the size difference is because most of the GPS boys were 18 (like NSW ,ACT and Vic)

RMS

Frank Row (1)
coming from an AIC school myself i agree AIC cannot matchup with the teams in the GPS as most of the players who a brought up in AIC and have talent are given scholarships to schools in the GPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.