• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
What a fair , sensible & erudite statement (from an obvious schoolboy).
I am not a BBC supporter(TSS for me ) but I am really impressed by the coaching panel they have put together this year plus if you look at last years records you will see they got in 2015:
11A - 1st;
13A -3rd
14 A -1st
16A -2nd
1st xv -3rd.
Aussie schoolboys =5

Yes room to improve but your statement is without foundation.

The coaching panels aren't the question here, it's the $$ being thrown around to deliver the success. Not through programs and development of their current stock but ruthless importing. But this is a chat for another thread. $$ can't buy culture. The French premiership is a good example.

jack07

Chris McKivat (8)
The coaching panels aren't the question here, it's the $$ being thrown around to deliver the success. Not through programs and development of their current stock but ruthless importing. But this is a chat for another thread. $$ can't buy culture. The French premiership is a good example.
Are you kidding!
Look at all of the other schools importing.
BSHS this year has a lot of Logan boys ,it is an amazing the size of their forwards and backs.
BBC as everyone knows is new to the scholarship importing train.
But with 90% of the boys being in the boarding house this builds a culture of family.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)

then how do you explain their success in the under 11 to under 14 with little or no imports ???My nephew was in the undefeated 11 A team and they have all been together since grade 4. his Brother was in 13A s that only lost to the mass of new boys at IGS and BSHS . That team had 2 new boys who were both boarders

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wrong place to be talking about imports, scholarships, bursaries, enrollment anomalies and the like.

Move that discussion to the thread built specially for that talk.

Bladerunner

Frank Nicholson (4)
Anyone know if any of the new boys to Terrace have been selected for the trial for the 13a's against BBC this weekend, would have thought it would have been tough to move the boys from last year out of positions, I dont think they will have it all there own way this year, I hear BSHS and IGS are very big.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Anyone know if any of the new boys to Terrace have been selected for the trial for the 13a's against BBC this weekend, would have thought it would have been tough to move the boys from last year out of positions, I dont think they will have it all there own way this year, I hear BSHS and IGS are very big.

I am sure there will be 4 - 6 new boys in the team when the competition kicks off.

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
Any team lists for the GPS trials this Saturday in Ipswich?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
then how do you explain their success in the under 11 to under 14 with little or no imports ???My nephew was in the undefeated 11 A team and they have all been together since grade 4. his Brother was in 13A s that only lost to the mass of new boys at IGS and BSHS . That team had 2 new boys who were both boarders

No they didn't

But as to your broader point about who can explain the success from U11 to U14 at BBC last year ......I think you have to segment it further and not group it together as there are very different reasons at each age group level

Insofar as the 11's are concerned I'm pretty sure it is a case of " even the sun shines on a dog's ass some days" Which means they just got lucky in enrolment and where likely a few of the boys would have come from the same team and would likely be ripping it up at Club with some ( comparatively ) good level " Dad Coaching"

I can assure you that BBC would have contributed very little to the 11's success

The 12's were forgettable but there has been some quality additions in the offseason to add to a small quality core that were already there . So this year's 13's will be a team that surprises a lot of people IMO , where , the early chat has been all about BSHS, IGS ( the usual suspects that own the muscle early ) and Gregory Terrace , who rumour has it , has recently arranged for a new Patron Saint of Rugby up on the hill to be known as " Saint Logan"

Last year's 13's had a decent addition of new talent ...a smaller intake this year (2 x new forwards ) but should be at or around the same level ...maybe closing the gap a bit more with IGS and BSHS - but let's see

Last year's 14's had some internal growth off a big recruiting year in the 13's and a few additions from the Sunny Coast ( thanks to the Farrells for blazing the trail) They'll be pretty much the same team this year

So.....the thing that is common in all of this and which is in line with what IGS , BSHS and GT are doing .....Grade 8 / U13 is the big intake year

Anything before that ....is more good fortune rather than good management

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
I watched the BBC U15 play Churhie on the weekend as I had a boy playing in the lower age group. BBC won by about 4 or 5 tries. They have some very well drilled forwards, one boy in yellow head gear - great over the ball and another boy who had tape around his head. Their back three a very fast. What i found interesting was that Churchie actually rattled them a bt and if they had some pace out wide could have put a bit of pressure on BBC. Don't get me wrong the BBC team is good but my feeling was their attitude may come back to bite them against better teams. The Churchie team maned up well and could surprise a few teams this year if they get their selections right.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I think the ultimate difference is the opportunity offered to the players post school.

I could be wrong but not sure that NRL U20 was a thing in 2009. It was only recently NRC became a pathway and now Super U20s.

Would have been interesting if all these opportunities were available for that State High side.

That's a great point you make, Corne.

I think I would still lean towards Churchie's 2014 class in terms of producing the most "pro-ready" athletes.

If you're planning on watching the U16 State of Origin this afternoon (It's live-streamed on QRL.com.au), keep an eye out for 11. Ethan Bullemor and 12. Tom Gilbert.

The two boys are current Nudgee and BGS students, respectively.

Jack Hardy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Last year's 14's had some internal growth off a big recruiting year in the 13's and a few additions from the Sunny Coast ( thanks to the Farrells for blazing the trail) They'll be pretty much the same team this year

What is this internal growth you speak of? There were at least 4 boys new to the school in the BBC 14A's last year. All great kids and contributors but I don't think I would consider it to be internal growth.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Well I said ......a few Sunny Coast kids . You say 4 . Splitting hairs aren't we ?

And from U13's to U14's there were a couple of internal growth stories in the tight forwards . I consider that internal growth .

Reading , as they say , is fundamental

Jack Hardy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Well I said ..a few Sunny Coast kids . You say 4 . Splitting hairs aren't we ?

And from U13's to U14's there were a couple of internal growth stories in the tight forwards . I consider that internal growth .

Reading , as they say , is fundamental

Be assured I can read. Internal growth to me would suggest internal recruitment, i.e. a boy who played another sport now chooses to play rugby therefor the grown is from 'within'. If there were some players who played B's or C's in under 13 but developed physically or improved skills and gained selection in the 14A's, I see that as different to growth but more desirable as that would be a great endorsement of coaching and programs.

I may be splitting hairs but I do so with clinical detachment. I am not defensive or on the attack. I am merely a fascinated observer and occasional participant in this discussion.

I

Ippy 15As

Shocking. I'll investigate in a bit

EDIT: Password is gpsrugby2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks it works now. I have put in my bets for what I was lead to believe was round 1 but the teams who were on there were not correct. Also, will anyone be looking at Tom Gilbert in the under 16 state of origin curtain-raiser tonight?

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does anyone know how Terrace have been going across the age groups in the pre season/trials?
GT believe they have a more than adequate shadow First XV in their 16A
Big raps on aggressive pack with notables Hearn and Howard. Big back line with Cross at 12 and size outside and speed out wide. See if they hold up with BBC this Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.