• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
Thursday,23rd June– Games 30min halves (no injurytime); Ballymore Field1

4.30pm GPS 2 v Ch XV
5.45pm GPS 1 v CCS
7.00pm AIC v GPS 3

Friday, 24th June –Games30 minhalves (no injury time); Ballymore Field 1

3.30pm GPS 3 v Ch XV
4.45pm AIC v CSS
6.00pm GPS 1 v GPS 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I KNOW WHO WILL WIN

Frank Row (1)
Churchie absolutely dominated Nudgee in the 16’s. The Nudgee 16’s on the other hand needed more composure I think, because when under pressure, they just did not know what to do. Don’t know whether this was due to it being their first trial or just because of a lack of coaching- but only time will tell. They have some considerable size and I reckon if they can string together some good structure, then they’ll be hard to stop. Churchie were just smarter and more physical. The Churchie hooker and seven particularly caught my eye and I would say could possibly even get a run on for firsts if they continue to play the way they did.

Also managed to catch a glimpse of the second’s game before I left. Totally opposite from the 16’s game, with NC dominating the Churchie seconds. There seemed to be very little cohesion on the Churchie behalf and the smarter NC side capitalised. The Churchie seven was quite good, with his work around the field. Maybe the only standout from their seconds. Saw Harry Luka play for NC- he got around albeit unfit. Surprised he didn’t get a run on for firsts. The tighthead prop from NC caught my eye- dominated in the scrum and not just for his size, but technically one of the best youngsters I’ve seen (I’m a scrum tragic). He was quite mobile for his size too. Never seen him before- anyone from NC know who he is or is he new?

Overall, I think NC have considerable depth in the opens, just by looking at their seconds. Churchie on the other hand need to say their prayers, because a few injuries in the firsts, may mean their season is a lost cause.

The tight head for Nudgee was Blake Schoupp. 2015 Hooker for the 1sts.

Chazz

Frank Row (1)
Thanks, but I know who Blake Schoupp is and wow I did not know that he was playing firsts as a prop, thought he'd be the No.1 hooker. Oh and I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear, I was referring to the NC seconds tighthead prop.

I think his name is Francis recruited from Keebra

Whisperer

Frank Nicholson (4)
Warning. This post contains the opinion of a Churchie parent. I watched the 2014 game ACGS v BGS live, have never seen a replay but have seen The Waterboy YouTubes. IMHO, the Grammar boys deserve some recognition. No disgrace in their performance. They were outgunned but gave a full effort. Not many people in the same situation would have.

And Churchie do all that without scholarships!!

Hahahahaha

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Thursday,23rd June– Games 30min halves (no injurytime); Ballymore Field1

4.30pm GPS 2 v Ch XV
5.45pm GPS 1 v CCS
7.00pm AIC v GPS 3

Friday, 24th June –Games30 minhalves (no injury time); Ballymore Field 1

3.30pm GPS 3 v Ch XV
4.45pm AIC v CSS
6.00pm GPS 1 v GPS 2

Is there no GPS1 v AIC1. That used to be the highlight

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
BBC v TSS

BBC won the 13A & 14 A by big big margins.
TSS win 15 A by a try.big upset-BBC backline is electric but the forwards were overpowered.BBC seemed disinterested
I think BBC just got up in 16 A
TSS won the 2nds -but it was a joke. BBC had props in the centres??

Anyone know if it is correct the the 13 A favourites GT-were pumped by IGS by 50 on weekend as is rumoured?

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
BBC v TSS

TSS win 15 A by a try.big upset-BBC backline is electric but the forwards were overpowered.BBC seemed disinterested

Anyone know if it is correct the the 13 A favourites GT-were pumped by IGS by 50 on weekend as is rumoured?

Yep 'trampled' would be the best word to describe it - IGS are enormous across park a definite crashing back to reality for GT.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Yep 'trampled' would be the best word to describe it - IGS are enormous across park a definite crashing back to reality for GT.

Same as IGS last year in under 13.
Lets hope this years number 8 is not as big as last year.
should be a good match for 2nd then;)

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Same as IGS last year in under 13.
Lets hope this years number 8 is not as big as last year.
should be a good match for 2nd then;)

Not as broad but at least a foot taller!! Comes with a familiar name as well but I don't know if he is related??

The 'real' game will be a lot different :cool:, but at this point I would say favoritism has shifted!!

Lemno01

Allen Oxlade (6)
I understand the IGS had a big win against GT in the Under 12's on the weekend as well which would have been a massive turnaround from the Under 11's last year.

Have IGS got some new recruits a year earlier as well?

Bladerunner

Frank Nicholson (4)
BBC v TSS

I watched that game GT looked good in the first 10, they had a big fella run through them and the heads dropped, they were taking players on and off regularly I think with the strongest team they will be more competitive. IGS have some very big players and GT were intimidated even though they some of there own big boys, I think the big boys need to man up and make some big hits early.

The 7 and 8 (star player from last year, he needs to get the ball in his hands a lot more than he did on the weekend) were good and also the big centre from last year runs and hits hard, the 2 wasn't that big but did a lot of work and drew a couple of penalties through tough pilfers, heard he has played a lot of back row, one of the wingers was a hard ball runner just didn't get the opportunities when the boys got flustered, one of the props tried hard and the other looked as if he didn't understand the game maybe a league convert. When it got tough the structure went out the window and the boys didnt know what was going on.

frotter

Allen Oxlade (6)
No aic vs gps1 this year at all

Only aic vs gps3

Perhaps reality that aic comp is not as strong as gps is
Is setting in

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
None of the U13 or U12 results should be surprising

The trend over the last few years is that Ipswich and State High go hard with BBC and GT , however , Ipswich and State High own the muscle early and have better connectivity , socio-economically and culturally , to the profile of recruit in the outer Western corridor for Ipswich and the South / Eastern Corridor for State High

The forward story of how this comes together in Opens will be a very interesting one

This trend is only 3 to 4 years old at best and there just isn't enough play through yet to judge the trend over say an 8-10 year window

Anyway....back to the early boast of GT a few months ago .....it was the same as last year . Big talk on last year's GPS thread too about their 13's who were very average. Seems to be much the same story as this year.

If GT and BBC want to play the muscle game early they need to focus more in their forwards recruitment . Both haven't done the job well enough in the last couple of years in this regard .

There is no point in stacking the backs with rep league players and /or big name for the age group players and think that that is enough

If half your forward pack are genuine B or B/C level type players they'll shit their bricks against the true muscle teams and get thumped by 40 to 50 - which is still half to what TSS, Grammar , TGS , Nudgee and Churchie will get thumped by.........and your backline won't matter much anyway

If you are going to do it ....at least do it with balance , and , you actually need excellence in your Coaching offering across the 13's and 14's so you can jam as much Rugby intel into the league kids and the B/C kids who might be playing A's accidentally in the absence of better talent

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I mean............no U13 or U14A team should be consistently leaving their own ruck ball vulnerable because they are a step slow or not as committed as what they need to be to get on their runner

Not moving feet properly to take the space in the collision and then poor body height when the contest is formed are all hallmarks of fear , being intimidated or a lack of commitment

So maybe 1 or 2 muscle forwards the boys can rally around and some basic technique and accountability delivered in a fairly uncompromising manner from strong leadership in Coaching would do the trick

The point is you just can't recruit a few athletes and stick them in the centres and give an unenergetic Coaching proposition and think that's enough

If you commit this early you need to have a very defined 5 year plan rather than just arsing around with it to produce a few wins and tick a few boxes in a dog and pony show

Jack Hardy

Frank Nicholson (4)
BBC v TSS

Not sure why BBC 15A would have their most damaging ball runner playing at 9. He might be better utilised in the forwards or 12. In the forwards he provides much need 'go forward' and will be a player other forwards can rally around. At 12 he would attract a lot of defensive heat, creating opportunities out wide for the electric backs, though he would, more often than not, get over the advantage line. He is not just a player who has enjoyed the advantage of size. He has great footwork going in to contact.

He is very skilful, which is probably why he, like his older brother, has been asked to play 9, but I think by playing him at 9 they are robbing Peter to pay Paul.

As for the 2nd's, I can't see the sense in running Yanopa in the centres. Don't get me wrong, he has pace and can score tries from long range but it's a big ask to throw a boy in there and expect him to know anything about running lines or the defensive requirements of the position. I would have thought his return from injury would have been better served by playing his actual position so he can test he's knee under load.

Status
Not open for further replies.