• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMS

Frank Row (1)
Aswell as Australian Schoolboys i believe the last player from AIC was brad wilkins may be wrong if so correct me, but that was 3 years ago that says it all

pundit

Herbert Moran (7)
Yeah that was the year four AIC boys made Aus Schoolboys - Brad Wilkin, Moses Sorovi, Adrian Henley and Lolo Fakaoselia (who was originally a BBC boy). More players than GPS I believe. AIC v GPS was a draw that year too. The last few years GPS have dominated AIC (the gap has widened). GPS will continue to have more depth for the foreseeable future but I think we can all agree that a strong AIC comp is vital for grassroots rugby development. Let's hope that gap can close and the depth of the AIC comp can improve for the sake of QLD rugby.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Yeah that was the year four AIC boys made Aus Schoolboys - Brad Wilkin, Moses Sorovi, Adrian Henley and Lolo Fakaoselia (who was originally a BBC boy). More players than GPS I believe. AIC v GPS was a draw that year too.

I have a vague memory that Wilkin and Lolo didn't play in that draw either.

allblackseverything

Frank Row (1)
Its good to see we share a mutual love of Monty Python.

I think a more appropriate video reference would be Braveheart (yes the one with William Wallace) where the underdog Scotland (AIC) takes on and indeed triumphs over the bigoted, ignorant and much larger England (GPS)

I have a son that attends an AIC school and another that attends a GPS school. I've attended nearly every firsts game that my AIC son's school has played this year. I am appalled, to say the least at the quality of rugby that AIC has to offer. You'd think that by the last game of the season, that there wouldn't be many errors. Yet it was quite the contrary and this was apparent week in and week out and not just from my son's AIC school, but nearly every AIC school that they played. Then I attended two TRIAL GAMES of my other son's GPS school and already I can tell that the quality of rugby in GPS is far superior to the quality of AIC. The intensity, quality and level of physicality that GPS rugby has to offer is a clear distinction of how it is superior to the AIC competition.

Then I did some further research into the list of Australian Schoolboys by Schools and came across some cold hard evidence that GPS rugby has, is and probably always will be better than AIC.

http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/AUSTRALIAN-SCHOOLBOYS-BY-SCHOOL-2015.pdf

At a quick glance, TSS, BSHS and NC combined, have more Australian Schoolboys than every AIC school combined. Now if this isn't cold hard evidence of how GPS is better than AIC, then I don't know what is.

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Watched all the Oz Under 20 games. Obviously we went for size and power. I profess no expertise on scrums but why didn't we have a hooker that strikes for the ball. Good player in general play but didn't or couldn't strike. He was erratic with his throws in the line outs so why call the long throws on the money balls.
We needed a second fly half i.e. Inside Centre who had great hands. No. Again the power option.
Boys should be proud of themselves. In my view the pendulum went too far to power. Perhaps I just don't understand the modern game

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
I have a son that attends an AIC school and another that attends a GPS school. I've attended nearly every firsts game that my AIC son's school has played this year. I am appalled, to say the least at the quality of rugby that AIC has to offer. You'd think that by the last game of the season, that there wouldn't be many errors. Yet it was quite the contrary and this was apparent week in and week out and not just from my son's AIC school, but nearly every AIC school that they played. Then I attended two TRIAL GAMES of my other son's GPS school and already I can tell that the quality of rugby in GPS is far superior to the quality of AIC. The intensity, quality and level of physicality that GPS rugby has to offer is a clear distinction of how it is superior to the AIC competition.

i dont know what match you attended but this year in AIC unlike any year I have witnessed was truly a tale of two comps. The top 4 teams were very skilled and could compete with GPS schools. The bottom 4 were poor quality and would admittedly be absolutely dominated in GPS. May i stress though that this is an unusual occurrence.

Michalak

Bob McCowan (2)
i dont know what match you attended but this year in AIC unlike any year I have witnessed was truly a tale of two comps. The top 4 teams were very skilled and could compete with GPS schools. The bottom 4 were poor quality and would admittedly be absolutely dominated in GPS. May i stress though that this is an unusual occurrence.

How would you know? GPS schools have played (2 trial games)? I saw Ashgrove and Padua play this year in AIC. Two good teams, however, i think these are the only teams that could compete with the lower ranked teams of the GPS comp (which no one knows who that will be this year)

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
We're being trolled, gentlemen. Best to not get worked up, any reasonable person can see the clear divide between GPS 1st XV and AIC First XV. We'll see how great that divide is in 2016 when GPS 2 or GPS 3, on pre-season form, play the "in-form" AIC 1 team.

I am curious about one thing though - who are the ex-AIC lads playing in this year's First XV?

Stanghorn and Gorman obviously, but who else?

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
Its good to see we share a mutual love of Monty Python.

I think a more appropriate video reference would be Braveheart (yes the one with William Wallace) where the underdog Scotland (AIC) takes on and indeed triumphs over the bigoted, ignorant and much larger England (GPS)

Black Knight (I Play wing), did you play wing or were you the designated school touch judge holding your AIC caps?

For your lack of originality, and your lack of direct links to humour, I present you with your second place trophy. Courtesy of Jerry of course!!

properjob

Allen Oxlade (6)
Watched all the Oz Under 20 games. Obviously we went for size and power. I profess no expertise on scrums but why didn't we have a hooker that strikes for the ball. Good player in general play but didn't or couldn't strike. He was erratic with his throws in the line outs so why call the long throws on the money balls.
We needed a second fly half i.e. Inside Centre who had great hands. No. Again the power option.
Boys should be proud of themselves. In my view the pendulum went too far to power. Perhaps I just don't understand the modern game
Bad trend in Oz rugby (junior and age grade) with no priority given to scrums (having no hooker was a joke) basics first as without quality ball you can't play rugby! Whilst size is nice it isn't the be all end all! No offence against the lad as he is a good prop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
How would you know? GPS schools have played (2 trial games)? I saw Ashgrove and Padua play this year in AIC. Two good teams, however, i think these are the only teams that could compete with the lower ranked teams of the GPS comp (which no one knows who that will be this year)

I am basing my assumption off past performances of GPS teams (during the season proper)

FYI - Ashgrove came tied 3rd/4th so I think this fact null and voids your argument

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
We're being trolled, gentlemen. Best to not get worked up, any reasonable person can see the clear divide between GPS 1st XV and AIC First XV. We'll see how great that divide is in 2016 when GPS 2 or GPS 3, on pre-season form, play the "in-form" AIC 1 team.

I am curious about one thing though - who are the ex-AIC lads playing in this year's First XV?

Stanghorn and Gorman obviously, but who else?

Plenty in the junior ranks.
The Ashgrove boy now at BBC in grade 9 looks the goods.
As does the boy from St Edmunds in grade 10.
Didn't Churchie have 3 from St Edmunds in 2014 ? Plus 3 from Downlands

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yeah that was the year four AIC boys made Aus Schoolboys - Brad Wilkin, Moses Sorovi, Adrian Henley and Lolo Fakaoselia (who was originally a BBC boy). More players than GPS I believe. AIC v GPS was a draw that year too. The last few years GPS have dominated AIC (the gap has widened). GPS will continue to have more depth for the foreseeable future but I think we can all agree that a strong AIC comp is vital for grassroots rugby development. Let's hope that gap can close and the depth of the AIC comp can improve for the sake of QLD rugby.

Well said.
Don't forget Lolo came in from the bush to board at BBC (grade 9)and made Aussie Schools in grade 11 while at BBC.
See him round Miskin oval now & then.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
No Cav Rd not in AIC.
But I hear more and more Cav Rd and Wavell High RL boys at GT thanks to the connection with Uncle Tommy.
lets hope his due diligence is a bit better than previous years.

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
So let's get this straight

And yet

You're contradicting yourself pal. And in any event, this discussion doesn't belong in this thread.

How is this contradicting? Clearly it shows that there are 4 teams for this years competition that could compete with the GPS schools not just 2 as Michalak suggested.

Jack Hardy

Frank Nicholson (4)
No Cav Rd not in AIC.
But I hear more and more Cav Rd and Wavell High RL boys at GT thanks to the connection with Uncle Tommy.
lets hope his due diligence is a bit better than previous years.

Due diligence is one thing. Finding players prepared to join your program is another. It is not unheard of for a player to knock back a scholarship to a particular school because other schools are stronger and therefore more attractive. There can be a tendency to take anyone you can to improve playing depth which will, hopefully, translate to some success. Then you can start to attract 'better' players.

This is, of course, if onfield success for A's or 1st XV is your only driver or only measure.

I would be looking for quality kids first and foremost who can and want to contribute to the school beyond rugby, but I understand schools, and old boys, demand results.

Status
Not open for further replies.