• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whisperer

Frank Nicholson (4)
Wow, what an obnoxious post. Given to injuries this season it is only the depth created by the program that has kept them competitive. Only a couple of years ago a BBC first XV would have folded against NC when they got a openly you to take the lead with a minute to go. Much progress indeed. And had a couple of tries not been awarded at the end of the GT game in dubious circumstances, we may have had a similar outcome there. The BBC Spirit is alive and well and it comes from the boys and the leaders!!

Spell check!!

Would have folded when an Mac took the lead with only a minute to go...

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
To single out a single school for 'scholarships' is absolutely ridiculous. Today every single school offers these opportunities to young men. Terrace is only beginning to follow the leads of the other schools which have come before them and this years first XV would have at a maximum two boys in that category.

To those who believe BSHS don't also offer free tuition they do offer merit entries and allow this to strengthen their rugby program. It is clear to see every year like every other school.

Let's focus on the quality of rugby and less upon how each player is ending up at which school.
Yep, BSHS offer free tuition because they are a state school - go figure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
What now for the head of BBC sport who also masquerades as head of rugby and the rowing programme? Failures in both this year won't be going down well at Toowong! All the new polo shirts and jackets looked nice though,but still the same result as the last 62 years. Which coach will he try and poach next? No matter who it is, they won't be happy being watched over every time training is on and being told who to select every week. He should stick to what he knows, which is not much about rugby. Maybe he should have stayed with girls rowing.

Haters gonna hate: whingers gonna whinge and pessamists going to find fault Your boy left last year- so let it go.
What i am hearing is that he will get a bonus.
cricket 3rd
swimming 3rd
t&f 2 nd
x/country 4th
tennis 1st ( 5 th year in a row)
Rowing 3rd and National sprint champs
rugby 4 th or 5th with 7 boys out for last 3 matches.under 11,12,14,15 are all top 2
Shit where do I sign him up ??

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Haters gonna hate: whingers gonna whinge and pessamists going to find fault Your boy left last year- so let it go.
What i am hearing is that he will get a bonus.
cricket 3rd
swimming 3rd
t&f 2 nd
x/country 4th
tennis 1st ( 5 th year in a row)
Rowing 3rd and National sprint champs
rugby 4 th or 5th with 7 boys out for last 3 matches.under 11,12,14,15 are all top 2
Shit where do I sign him up ??

10/10 reply - easy to identify a chameleon the guy has just signed up to this forum under his new name today - has a gripe.

I agree they are now one of the strongest overall school performances and gone from rugby easybeat to sit in top 3 overall school rugby performance overall with a week to go - almost went point for point with GT across all teams last week who currently sit in 1st.

The 1sts count but rather have my kid there than where the hater has his - unless his kids not happy about playing in the d's!!!

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Nice write up Getwithme.
BSHS are my title pick if their main boys don't pick up injuries through the trials and the early rounds.
TSS and a toss up between BBC and Terrace rounding out the top 3.
It pains me to say it but I don't see NC finishing above mid table unless they can fix up their scrum and breakdown. One or two to many league boys in the forward pack all wanting to hang out with Malala and co. Not enough head down arse up in the trenches personnel that push and hit rucks.
We'll not a bad effort.
Surprise package for me has been the turn around in the Nudgee scrum and breakdown work from the trials. Top effort boys. You've really have done the graft and IF YOU TAKE CARE OF GT there could be a shared prem if TSS do their sworn duty and roll BSHS.
I'll gladly eat humble pie casting dispersions of finishing mid table.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Nudgee's set piece has been just about spectacular in the last two weeks.

Nudgee's scrum especially blew State High out of the water - that's an Australian rep and a Queensland rep outgunned by a front row fielding two hookers and a no-name at loosehead. That is very, very impressive.

I'm loving Tom Jeffries work in the lineout as well. Kid just gets up.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Downlands have just posted up their season highlights videos.

I remember being super impressed by their props and 10 in the Queensland Trials, and watching the tape I can see a lot of GPS First XV players running around against them - and they're more than holding their own in these clips.

Link:

properjob

Allen Oxlade (6)
We'll not a bad effort.
Surprise package for me has been the turn around in the Nudgee scrum and breakdown work from the trials. Top effort boys. You've really have done the graft and IF YOU TAKE CARE OF GT there could be a shared prem if TSS do their sworn duty and roll BSHS.
I'll gladly eat humble pie casting dispersions of finishing mid table.
Fair play on the humble pie! The front row have worked enormously hard and have been the strongest front row unit in the comp and glad to see it recognised

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Taipan, what happened to Josh Preval? He was named as a starter at the start of the season but seems to have been replaced by Tyrell Douglas-Denduck.

Is he hurt or just out of favour? I believe Tom Blackmore is in the same position.

TheKing,
Joshua Preval has been dropped to 2nd XV. Out of favour.
Tom Blackmore is back in 16A.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Probably? I think everyone is getting too far ahead of themselves. BSHS have lost ONE game all season. Don't get me wrong every terrace and nudgee boy will be part surfer this weekend but a betting man would surely back state high for the solo title.

And that's why betting men are broke and the bookies ride in rollers! ;)

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Well said King.

You too BAG.

The issues are complex and incredibly multi-layered

From the kids and their families perspective League and AFL have done a much better job "on the ground" .

WHAT GAME SUITS ME ?

Observationally , at a grass roots level over the last few years - I can think of a number of examples in that critical U11 to U13 developmental path where boys have turned to AFL ( or Soccer ) because they feel intimidated by the increasing size disparity between early physical developers and themselves. This gets re-enforced 2 ways :

1. By "enabling" Mums

2. By the boys themselves that are much more premature in their view of themselves from a physical standpoint and who they think they are and will be ( physically ) thanks to social media and heightened early identification of body image.

The end result being : this game suits who I am ( and who I think I will be ) physically

On top of this ( and like it or not ) but kids are generally "streaming" early

The battle for hearts and minds is happening

Deals[/B]

I don't think the rules of rugby are going to change for us. Rugby has always been a hard and technical game. If Australian kids are too lazy or too soft or just cant be bothered then the most recent results will be a "norm".

That said maybe Australia is suffering from affluence and a myopic view of itself. We are sooooo good, we can play our own game (afl and league) and think we are great (in our own lunch boxes). Well that's a joke (Olympic results as evidence). Maybe we are a fringe country? with a fringe view of the world?

For mine if I was a good athlete I would want to prove my skills against the Best in the world, not just at Lang park or the MCG and not just for money and the chip rapper on Monday afternoon. Cheap easy options, instead of the hard consistency that life requires.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
What made Australian rugby in recent times (mid 70's to 2000) was drawing a line in the sand and not letting any to pass. In rugby you have to be intelligent, battle in the trenches with your mates.... When there down, be willing to do your work and theirs...on top of that doing things you didn't conceive you could do and doing it consistently.

The style of rugby played in schoolboys (GPS Qld) is a single runner, then take the ball down(bit too similar to RL). In the successful period it was keeping the ball up and trying to catch the opposition out by running the ball at them, barbarian style 1970's, the same way the ab's play today. Simple but effective rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.