• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
  • Is Hosea not in the calculations because of his Rebel contract, and is therefore a professional?
  • Angus Blyth(TSS lock) signed with the REDS whilst still at school and was only prevented from making schoolboys(selected) due to injury and I believe Hosea was as well.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
  • Is Hosea not in the calculations because of his Rebel contract, and is therefore a professional?
  • Angus Blyth(TSS lock) signed with the REDS whilst still at school and was only prevented from making schoolboys(selected) due to injury and I believe Hosea was as well.

If Hosea will never play for Queensland, what's the point in the Reds trying to develop him? He'll just come back to bite them when he plays for the Rebels.

Angus Blyth didn't sign with the Reds at school, he signed a Reds U20s "contract" which amounts to a non-compete clause.

He promises not to sign elsewhere in order to get picked for the U20s. It's a fraudulent deal that banks on kids wanting to play for Queensland above all else (in my opinion). I know kids that knocked back cold hard cash from interstate to play for the Reds U20s for free. That's dead-set exploitation. And I wonder what loyalty the Reds will show to a bloke like Gavin Luka who gets injured while playing for nothing? /rant.

Regardless of that fact, if the kids are "signed" by Queensland Rugby then I'm sure the Reds would have no problem with them playing Australian Schoolboys because it helps develop them.

It's the Rugby League boys that waste potential development spots in the QLD Schoolboys squads in favour of boys who might actually go on to play for QLD.

That's my theory at least, based on the past six years of QLD Schoolboys selections as evidence.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
King
Why do you say the "pro"players are unavailable & who are they?

Your answer is below

One thing to consider is how many of these boys have Rugby League contracts that prohibit / exclude them from selection.

Trevor Hosea (BBC, Melbourne Rebels), Ethan Bullemor (NC, Broncos), Hoani Ford-Stevens (GT, Broncos), Reno Gerrard (TSS, Titans), Tom Gilbert (BGS, Cowboys) and Max Dowd (TSS, Titans) are all professional athletes, as are Bailey Tautau (NC, Broncos) and Daejarn Asi (BGS, Cowboys).

I wouldn't count on them sticking their hands up for Queensland Schoolboys jerseys - what they gain from selection is outweighed by risk of injury.

Eyescream

Bob McCowan (2)
Oh what the heck.

GPS ONE

1. Halatoa Puafisi (TGS)
2. Eugene Koorts (IGS)
3. Moses Alo-Emile (BSHS)
4. Tom van der Schyff (TSS)
5. Harry Wilson (GT)
6. Mitch Wood (NC)
7. Joe Small (NC)
8. Cullen Ngamanu (BBC)
9. Phoenix Hunt (NC)
10. Campbell Parata (TSS)
11. Dan Burns (TSS)
12. Noah Lolesio (TSS)
13. Tristan Stanghorn (ACGS)
14. Jordan Petaia (BSHS)
15. Byron Ralston (GT)

GPS Two

1. Emile Tuimavave (BGS)
2. Rhys van Nek (BBC)
3. Egan Siggs (TSS)
4. Xavier Vela-Tupuhi (BBC)
5. MJ Havili (ACGS)
6. Ollie Shepherd (BGS)
7. Wolfgang Wallace (IGS)
8. Reno Gerrard (TSS) Gerrard is on a Titans contract. Kibble (BBC) is my pick to replace
9. Mosiah Christian (BSHS)
10. Cooper Whiteside (IGS)
11. Johnson Oyelodi (GT)
12. Xavier Soli (NC)
13. Koen Dovey (TSS)
14. Jared Chambers (BSHS)
15. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (BGS)
I can assure you I have a very reliable source Gerrard (TSS) does not have a contract with the Titans

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If Hosea will never play for Queensland, what's the point in the Reds trying to develop him? He'll just come back to bite them when he plays for the Rebels.

Angus Blyth didn't sign with the Reds at school, he signed a Reds U20s "contract" which amounts to a non-compete clause.

He promises not to sign elsewhere in order to get picked for the U20s. It's a fraudulent deal that banks on kids wanting to play for Queensland above all else (in my opinion). I know kids that knocked back cold hard cash from interstate to play for the Reds U20s for free. That's dead-set exploitation. And I wonder what loyalty the Reds will show to a bloke like Gavin Luka who gets injured while playing for nothing? /rant.

Regardless of that fact, if the kids are "signed" by Queensland Rugby then I'm sure the Reds would have no problem with them playing Australian Schoolboys because it helps develop them.

It's the Rugby League boys that waste potential development spots in the QLD Schoolboys squads in favour of boys who might actually go on to play for QLD.

That's my theory at least, based on the past six years of QLD Schoolboys selections as evidence.

Thank you KING,
You may have opened a"can of worms" my friend,depending on your perspective(player,parent ,schoolboys admin, and other stakeholders who think they are entitled).
I mostly agree with your theory. However, (hypothetically speaking) its rather narrow minded if a potential wallaby is denied a chance to 'develop/learn' at school away from the rugby franchises tentacles.
Regardless of which one they go to, our national team could do with more skillful players let alone athletic locks who can cover the back-row(6&8 positions).
In my opinion ALL school students should be granted the opportunity to hone and develop their skills whilst in the school environment.
Just for the record, how many of our schoolboys rugby(gps developed and supported by qld schools) have we lost to other states franchises?
2016:
  1. Semisi Tupou (NC) signed by Rebels and going ok with U/20's
  2. Leni Ikitau (BBC) signed by Rebels..U/20s for Oceania.
Im sure there are a few others.
The point is, we need to track our "rugby players" pathway better so the National interest supersedes the State interest and hopefully filters down.
Stakeholders at schoolboys level should consider these important factors(my humble opinion lol).
  • BBC have put their interests first by um um(something stuck in my throat) giving him a "scholarship" and yes (fair game).
  • Qld schoolboys should put our State interests first for nationals(fair game).
  • Australian schoolboys should also have access to the best of the best regardless of franchise (super rugby they might go to).
  • REBELS have seen his potential from a younger age and signed him.
  • Who knows where his allegiance lye regarding potential national pride?..lets hope he does not go to the lotlwc.... :)
Thats my 20 cents worth to kick start another G & G R "discussion" day. stay warm people.
your thoughts?

RLinsider

Frank Row (1)
I'm reliably informed that he does. He might not have had one last year but he's a Bronc in 2017

I believe there is a connection but not a contract. There is only a handful of contracted boys playing GPS rugby and the rest are part of development academies.

RLinsider

Frank Row (1)
Looking forward to seeing Asi play as the season unfolds . Tom Gilbert too . Both come with big wraps

Hamiso is special . Saw him rip the ball in contact , swivel on a dime and accelerate into space on a few occasions last year . Made the same play again in an outside channel last night against BBC only to be called back where the ref was playing advantage for an earlier indiscretion.

Gilbert has a excellent work ethic and will no doubt have a future in RL post 2017. Word is BGS are primed for a big tilt.

RLinsider

Frank Row (1)
Thank you for the surnames KING.
my source suggests:
  1. Sef is a tall lanky yr 11 lock.
  2. Akiai is a yr 12 boy who has lots of speed but not sure how he will transition into 1st XV standard.
  3. Tai Watkins is a league guy. Apparently very fast but is susceptible to the high ball.
I do like your NUDGEE probables team. My only eye raiser is Xavier Soli! at 10. Thought hes more a 12 or 13. What happened to Ethan (league boy at 10)?

Same with Isaiah Naawi at fullback. Has a background in soccer, so perhaps can kick, BUT!! hope hes improved his catching skills.. .
Hows Phransis suspect shoulder?. .otherwise great team.

Pretty sure Soli will stay in the centres and word is his trials have been outstanding.

Naawi will surely stay on the wing as he loves the one on one challenge.

The league boy I presume you are talking about at 10 was Ethan LeBlanc. I believe he notified Nudgee in November last year that he was not making himself available for rugby in 2017 as he was playing in the Mal Meninga under 18's state comp and wanted to concentrate on grade 12 OP score with less interruptions. Not sure if he was first pick for 10 but I believe it may have been possible as he was the 10 for all the A's from grade 8 i think. I am pretty sure he was on scholarship and gave this up also!

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I believe there is a connection but not a contract. There is only a handful of contracted boys playing GPS rugby and the rest are part of development academies.

That could well be right. Maybe League "connected" would be a better way to describe a few of the guys I listed.

I mostly agree with your theory. However, (hypothetically speaking) its rather narrow minded if a potential wallaby is denied a chance to 'develop/learn' at school away from the rugby franchises tentacles.
Regardless of which one they go to, our national team could do with more skillful players let alone athletic locks who can cover the back-row(6&8 positions).

I agree - it would be a shame if Hosea never represents a Schoolboy team. But the Reds will need to operate in their own self interest.

I don't think it's their responsibility to produce Wallabies, rather to produce great Queensland teams and let the Wallabies choose from there.

Just for the record, how many of our schoolboys rugby(gps developed and supported by qld schools) have we lost to other states franchises?

I've restricted it to GPS Old Boys in the main squads and U20s programs, but if you extend it out to all former Queensland school and club players, it's scary.

I wrote an article on the subject around the time of the Brisbane 10s. http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/65-reasons-brisbane-should-embrace-the-global-10s/

Melbourne Rebels (14)

James Hanson, GT 2005
Jake Schatz, ACGS 2007
Dom Shipperley, NC 2008
Sam Jeffries, NC 2009
Tom Moloney, NC 2011
Ben Meehan, BSHS 2011
Sean McMahon, NC 2011
Jonah Placid, TGS 2012
Harley Fox, ACGS 2014
Jack Farrell, BBC 2015
Emmanuel Meafou-Latu, IGS 2015
Tim Sippel, BSHS 2015
Semisi Tupou, NC 2016
Richard Clift, TGS 2016

Brumbies (17)

Josh Mann-Rea, NC 1998
Aidan Toua, ACGS 2007
Jarrad Butler, TSS 2008
Andrew Muirhead, BSHS 2011
Lausii Taliauli, TSS 2012
Lolo Fakaosilea, BBC 2012
Tom Banks, BBC 2012
Fred Dorrough, TSS 2014
Angus Allen, TSS 2015
Angus Wagner, ACGS 2015
Liam Moseley, NC 2015
Zac Shepard, BSHS 2015
Geoffrey Robertson, IGS 2015
Darcy Swain, BBC 2015
Tevita Wolske, IGS 2015
Dawie Verryne, NC 2016
Len Ikitau, BBC 2016

Waratahs (5)

Con Foley, GT 2009
Matt Lucas, GT 2009
Jamason Fa'anana-Schultz, IGS 2013
Maclean Jones, NC 2013
Mack Mason, ACGS 2014

Western Force (4)

Jono Lance, TSS 2007
Luke Morahan, TSS 2007
Angus Cottrell, BBC 2008
Shambeckler Vui, IGS 2014

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
OK punters and lunatics...

The market has shifted but is pre-injuries in the upcoming Rep Circus:

TSS $3.50
NC $5.00
GT $8.50
BBC $10.00
TGS $17.00
IGS $21.00
BGS $41.00
BSHS $50.00
ACGS $65.00

TSS solid as the new Grade 11 boarding house beds. NC closing the gap.
GT and BBC could slide based on numbers in Rep Teams vs propensity to get injured badly.
BGS are firming to mid field a little quicker than predicted.
Not as bigger gap between the worst and the best as first thought.
Strap on the plastic.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
BGS are in a position where they will be competitive in all games this year, and pip a few teams but by no means are premier contenders as TheKing said. IGS to me are a lot better than everyone is giving them credit for. They beat GT (not sure about TGS) on the weekend. I'd say there are a log jam of middle teams and only 2 real front runners with BBC pushing hard from behind

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Chasing fool's gold, Serge.

Without the cattle in the forwards there's no way BGS can compete with the big dogs up front, though the backline will win them their fair share of games provided everyone can stay on the field.

That is why I like you King.
you never let the heart rule the head

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
I'd say there are a log jam of middle teams and only 2 real front runners with BBC pushing hard from behind[/quote]

BBC .?Really ?? with that pop-gun backline of midgets?
Yes next year -I agree.
I hear their star number 8 is wearing a sling -did not play Friday & will not play this weekend.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I'd say there are a log jam of middle teams and only 2 real front runners with BBC pushing hard from behind

BBC .?Really ?? with that pop-gun backline of midgets?
Yes next year -I agree.
I hear their star number 8 is wearing a sling -did not play Friday & will not play this weekend.[/quote]

I've watched them play and they are a big dynamic forward back with some very smart footy players. I think they will surprise you

Status
Not open for further replies.