• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
GT 15 - ACGS 14. Churchie held up at least twice and turned down a shot at goal that would have won the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selection headaches ar GT.
The lineout was terrible. The long throw in is never straight and throws any where else were a lottery. Lost far too many own throws. Gazman fit to return next week but will they rush him back in first up? In my view yes. Need his size and muscle. Who would make way? Not Howard or Stocker both had great games.
JJ played his first game back from injury in the seconds and was sensational. He needs to be moved up but who will make way? His replacement Glen (14) has been brilliant. Tyrone (11) also had a very good game. Condon (13) is good defensively and his left foot relieving kicks are a bonus. Hoani (12) was in my view was man of the match. Has great ball skills and vision and could easily move closer in.
Interesting to see if changes will be made. Ipswich will be tough at home this week

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
could not make the match at TSS
Did Ipswich play well or did TSS play poorly.?
IGS finally getting match fit it seems - look out !

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
Note to Aussie Schools selectors- best players I have seen this GPS season are:
1. Downlands7;
2 BGS15
3.BBC 5
4. IGS 11
5. BBC 3 ( Rhys?)

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
15A: BBC 61 def BGS 5
BBC & Nudgee remain the only undefeated teams after 3 rounds.

Thanks Tashara that will be a showdown - great footage some real talent there.

After round 3 the the following A teams remain undefeated:
1st XV NC / BBC
2nd XV NC / BBC / ACGS
16A NC / TSS / ACGS
15A NC / BBC
14A NC / IGS
13A BSHS / BBC
12A BGS / BSHS / ACGS
11A NC

Nudgee rugby definitely very healthy taking out every school they encounter.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Thanks Tashara that will be a showdown - great footage some real talent there.

After round 3 the the following A teams remain undefeated:
1st XV NC / BBC
2nd XV NC / BBC / ACGS
16A NC / TSS / ACGS
15A NC / BBC
14A NC / IGS
13A BSHS / BBC
12A BGS / BSHS / ACGS
11A NC

Nudgee rugby definitely very healthy taking out every school they encounter.
Ipswich will provide a good test of the U14, U15 and 1stXV strength of NC, I am not totally convinced yet that these three teams will be on top of table come years end, esp 1st XV. BBC U15's seem very strong, although the same could be said of last year's U15 team and NC knocked them off. U15 NC coaching group is very good. U16 is definitely a show down between TSS and NC like it is most years with TSS very warm favourites, although Churchie is a surprise packet knocking off GT yesterday. Great to see upset results through most age groups.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Ipswich will provide a good test of the U14, U15 and 1stXV strength of NC, I am not totally convinced yet that these three teams will be on top of table come years end, esp 1st XV. BBC U15's seem very strong, although the same could be said of last year's U15 team and NC knocked them off. U15 NC coaching group is very good. U16 is definitely a show down between TSS and NC like it is most years with TSS very warm favourites, although Churchie is a surprise packet knocking off GT yesterday. Great to see upset results through most age groups.

Don't disagree - always good to get IGS very early in the season before they warm up as TSS 1sts discovered on Saturday.

npride

Frank Row (1)
#13 IGS had a strong game, put it all on the line in my opinion. Held the ball up over the line to win the game too.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Note to Aussie Schools selectors- best players I have seen this GPS season are:
1. Downlands7;
2 BGS15
3.BBC 5
4. IGS 11
5. BBC 3 ( Rhys?)

1. Kohan Herbert
2. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
3. Trevor Hosea
4. Viliame Lea
5. Rhys van Nek

#13 IGS had a strong game, put it all on the line in my opinion. Held the ball up over the line to win the game too.

Jeremy Kempston

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
1. Kohan Herbert:
The Downland's captain is impressive. Scored a brilliant try against BSHS and was a constant threat with bih. Big and strong over the ball as well.

2. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
One of the most natural athletic kid in the gps comp. Was impressive at gps trials. Picked for Qld 1 but something mysterious happened and he went MIA.Rumour has it he may be linked to the Bne Lions.
3. Trevor Hosea
Tremendous attitude and passion to win. A natural big athletic kid. IMO, he will make the transition to the next phase of his rugby career well. A talented #5 who will be a modern type player who can play lock #6 or #8 well.
4. Viliame Lea
Very under-rated player. He was one of the standout wingers from the Nationals.Wouldnt be surprise to see him go to league. Big, powerful and aggressive.
5. Rhys van Nek
A solid performer. He wIll continue to improve with attention to details in the set pieces. BUT he has the right attitude.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
looking forward to travelling up to Toowong this week.My boy might have a tough day against that monster BBC 15 A team.
I hear both 1stxv have injuries. TSS 10 is very doubtful .as is 11.
I hear BBC have 2 or 3 out including their 10.Anyone confirm? If correct -might be scrappy.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
2. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
One of the most natural athletic kid in the gps comp. Was impressive at gps trials. Picked for Qld 1 but something mysterious happened and he went MIA.Rumour has it he may be linked to the Bne Lions..

He does love his AFL, but that was unrelated to his absence at QLD Trials.

Reliably informed that he flew home to FNQ to visit his family on the holiday and chose that over heading to Sydney. Nothing nefarious

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
He does love his AFL, but that was unrelated to his absence at QLD Trials.

Reliably informed that he flew home to FNQ to visit his family on the holiday and chose that over heading to Sydney. Nothing nefarious

King,
I did hear the same info, he went home cos of school holidays and was "home-sick". I was very surprised as I did speak with him during the gps trials and he was keen to make a Qld team.
I also did speak directly with his agent and he did tell me info specific to the Lions and league interests in HT-F. So my journalistic instincts would suggest where there is smoke there is likely to be a fire.

Q?
  1. How is it that a kid had trialled throughout the gps selections and then is told he has made the Qld 1 team(on his own merit) and then says he is going home for the holidays and will give up a chance at representing himself, his State and potentially country at school level? It does not match up?
I have kids and as 'home sick' as they would be, the privilege and honour of going to that next level of representative sports would be highly motivating to sacrifice for.
For whatever the "real" reason is, speculation and innuendos that suggests otherwise will linger.
The point is !!, I hope agents and other influences as such, don't interfere with his and other similar talented athletes chances of enjoying school level opportunities.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
How is it that a kid had trialled throughout the gps selections and then is told he has made the Qld 1 team(on his own merit) and then says he is going home for the holidays and will give up a chance at representing himself, his State and potentially country at school level? It does not match up?

I think you have to look a little deeper into his cultural background. I understand he went through his (Tribe? Not sure of PC terminology)'s rite of passage/ceremony to become a man during the July holiday.

Being shaved is a significant event in the life of a young indigenous man, so understandable that he valued that more than playing for QLD - especially when he will be eligible next year and maybe even the year after if he repeats.

He certainly wasn't up there for an AFL Trial if that's what you were thinking..

Status
Not open for further replies.