• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2018

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Didn't Parata outplay Gordon in the match up last year at Toowong. His maturity and kicking game carry some weight?

Some tough decision ahead in the back row at 7 and 8. Clear who is best 6

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Let’s cut the shit and call a spade a shovel shall we ?

The quota system for the lesser quality teams has robbed better quality players from certain schools ( in certain positions ) their rightful opportunity

Only in about 8-9 spots in the selection pool- IE about 15% of the pool

Still , at a time where Rugby in Australia has been struggling and is crying out for best available talent - just remember punters it starts here ( in getting right )
Well they have to look broadly across the school. Even the one without recent first XV success. One problem of the selection being before competition!

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Didn't Parata outplay Gordon in the match up last year at Toowong. His maturity and kicking game carry some weight?

Some tough decision ahead in the back row at 7 and 8. Clear who is best 6

From memory they played at Banyo and if Gordon took and converted either of the two kickable penalty shots it would have been different than 17-15 to NC so he must not have played too badly. MY memory might fail me but I thought I recalled BBC scores more tries than NC but happy to be confirmed otherwise.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
From memory they played at Banyo and if Gordon took and converted either of the two kickable penalty shots it would have been different than 17-15 to NC so he must not have played too badly. MY memory might fail me but I thought I recalled BBC scores more tries than NC but happy to be confirmed otherwise.
Parata is the 10 for TSS, in his third year of First XV and starting for GPS Blue . Pasitoa was the 10 for NC last year, on the bench for GPS Gold , has been mostly playing at 12 this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Parata is the 10 for TSS, in his third year of First XV and starting for GPS Blue . Pasitoa was the 10 for NC last year, on the bench for GPS Gold , has been mostly playing at 12 this year.

Thanks and yes he outplayed Gordon

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Not saying I agree 100% with who was ranked 1&2 GO, just saying that is the way the teams have been explained.

The numbers from each school do look a little more even than you would think, but the teams are selected by the First XV coaches as a whole , not one person.

Who knows what happens in selection meetings ? Some probably push hard for as many as they can and turn into real salesmen, while others might only push for only those they believe have the ability to go to the next level.

Might explain what happened over in AIC?

Every school , strangely , has a minimum of 5 players with a minimum of 2 starters

Teams that project to be Top 4 have between an extra 1 to 3 players each - but with no more than 8 to 1 school

A very fine and gentlemanly agreement in an exercise of social equity - but not an exercise of getting the best guys through to the next level - - the TSS Guys are queried earlier in the thread with Country Jack and then there is NC’s Ethan Robbins ( 14/11 ) and Tevita Kaatu ( 2 )

There are injuries to take into account that would explain why there is no Lance Bagon ( IGS’s 6 ) or Phransis Siaso ( NC’s 1 )

But compounding all of this there are the usual “ name” selections ( or should we say “nominations” ) and players like GT’s Hudson Mulcahy ( 2 ) and Churchie’s Connor McKinlay ( 7 ) get overlooked . TGS’s 2 might also consider himself a little unlucky

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Every school , strangely , has a minimum of 5 players with a minimum of 2 starters

Teams that project to be Top 4 have between an extra 1 to 3 players each - but with no more than 8 to 1 school

A very fine and gentlemanly agreement in an exercise of social equity - but not an exercise of getting the best guys through to the next level - - the TSS Guys are queried earlier in the thread with Country Jack and then there is NC’s Ethan Robbins ( 14/11 ) and Tevita Kaatu ( 2 )

There are injuries to take into account that would explain why there is no Lance Bagon ( IGS’s 6 ) or Phransis Siaso ( NC’s 1 )

But compounding all of this there are the usual “ name” selections ( or should we say “nominations” ) and players like GT’s Hudson Mulcahy ( 2 ) and Churchie’s Connor McKinlay ( 7 ) get overlooked . TGS’s 2 might also consider himself a little unlucky
I agree, all you have mentioned are very good rugby players and unlucky to have missed out . The squads are at 27 , which is possibly already too many. To fit them in you need to leave some out.

We all have slightly different views on what qualities make someone a better footballer than someone else. As I mentioned in an earlier post, do you want your #8 to be a ball running impact player ? Or hard over the ball? That decision might effect who you pick at 6. Don’t think it was by chance that Reno from TSS and Tyrone from GT are on opposing teams.

Think in the past we haven’t got the balance right with our rep teams . A team of ball running ,high impact players will easily account for an average opposition, but will struggle when the free running turns into a grind. It’s easy to recognise the high impact players, not so easy the ones who allow the high impact players to shine. In fact , unless you are in a tough grind , you don’t even notice them , which IMO has been the problem in the past with GPS 1 smashing everyone, you lose the balance.

Anyway , you are never going to please everyone, I’m sure there are many that would disagree with what I have to say, but that’s life.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
And @ Nomad

I cannot accept , not even in a month of Sundays , that the starting players in both teams represent "the top 2 ranked players in their position"

Maybe I could if I was toking on the crack pipe and considering Centres , Wings ( especially ) and the odd spot at 6 and Lock

There are half a dozen in the cumulative (20% of 30 starting spots) where I can feel a warm liquid running down my back which has a pungent odour and someone is trying to tell me its raining

EDIT :

And earlier posts weren't contemplating style or substance in team balance considerations - it was addressing the issue no one wants to talk about in nomination led , affirmative action "quota ''ing" that has led to about 15% to 20% of it being a right old laugh - where the overall Rugby outcome is much poorer IMO

This practise is serving other things other than the right Rugby outcome

Prior selection sins of the past ( re : a teams of big ego "name" one trick ball running ponies who think they are stallions ) do not excuse affirmative action led quota'ring in the present

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
On the other hand - I do applaud the nominations of the underrated Props ( to the casual observer ) JP Tominiko ( Churchie ) and Emile Tuimavave ( BGS )

Good to see the hard working Dougal Gray ( TGS 7 ) get a shot from the bench in Navy - IGS's Jordan Carriera as well who I thought , on performance , was the best Centre I saw in Round 1 of trials with TSS's Ronan Kapi

So credit where credit is due

Keeper

Bob McCowan (2)
And @ Nomad

I cannot accept , not even in a month of Sundays , that the starting players in both teams represent "the top 2 ranked players in their position"

Maybe I could if I was toking on the crack pipe and considering Centres , Wings ( especially ) and the odd spot at 6 and Lock

There are half a dozen in the cumulative (20% of 30 starting spots) where I can feel a warm liquid running down my back which has a pungent odour and someone is trying to tell me its raining

EDIT :

And earlier posts weren't contemplating style or substance in team balance considerations - it was addressing the issue no one wants to talk about in nomination led , affirmative action "quota ''ing" that has led to about 15% to 20% of it being a right old laugh - where the overall Rugby outcome is much poorer IMO

This practise is serving other things other than the right Rugby outcome

Prior selection sins of the past ( re : a teams of big ego "name" one trick ball running ponies who thing they are stallions ) do not excuse affirmative action led quota'ring in the present

GO can you point to the 'official rankings of schoolboy rugby players'?

Could you also point me to the document which outlines that the top 3 or 4 ranked schools get x number of players in the squads etc..... In fact please point me to the rankings of GPS teams for 2018!!

Also could you please point me to where it says that the players have been listed as starting teams?

This is just a subjective opinion on who has been unlucky to have missed out or who should have been picked but didnt. Similarly there has been a subjective opinion expressed by ALL GPS coaches on who has been selected. Do you really think that the QLD Coaches and selectors would leave out who they consider the 'best players' out of the squads?

This is not everyone gets a prize. The Coaches want to win the national championships and to do that they need to get who they consider the best players on the paddock trialing.

Those entrusted to select the teams have done so and good luck to the kids who have been selected. Its schoolboy rugby and the posters on this site are merely armchair experts (and I use the term expert very loosely). Just because someone chooses to spend their weekends driving around Brisbane watching other kids play rugby doesnt make them an expert on who should be in which team.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Needless to say Keeps but onya for stating the bleeding obvious on an opinion based message board and making sure everyone knows their place ( on an opinion based message board )

Tip : You might want to get the "official rankings of schoolboy rugby players" from Nomad - my post was in reply to his statement that the starters across both teams were the "#1 and #2" at their position for the age group

Suggestion As to the Top Half of the Table or 2018 Rankings , well , there are no highbrow documents from the likes of an SAS - but maybe if don't have your own firm opinion - you'd like to run your own survey as to the top half of the table is this year , or , you could take as a sample what the collective view is from all the amateur arm chair clowns on this thread , and also consider how the class of 2018 have evolved over the last year few years . Only a suggestion though.

I hope you are OK

All the Best

GO

Keeper

Bob McCowan (2)
Needless to say Keeps but onya for stating the bleeding obvious on an opinion based message board and making sure everyone knows their place.

Tip : You might want to get the "official rankings of schoolboy rugby players" from Nomad - my post was in reply to his statement that the starters across both teams were the "#1 and #2" at their position for the age group

All the best,

GO

Well you talk about quota systems and 'nomination led' selection as if they were fact.

You talk about the top 4 GPS teams as if there was an official ranking system. There is only one such policy in GPS sport and that exist in cricket and it is in relation to a GPS representative team based on position on the table after 5 rounds.

Stick to the facts - kids selected and kids missed out - end of story. It happens.

Dont bring down the merit of the kids that have been selected via your opinion on who should have been selected and some mythical quota based selection policy.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Now is my turn to ask you for the burden of proof

Where did I pass this off as fact ? Show me "the documents" as you would say

This is your inference , because frankly , in the big ass coincidence it must be - you are salty that someone would question it , and in reasonable question of process and merit of - fairly too - I might add.

I got no problem Keeper

You seem to , yet , I've specifically mentioned no boys and no schools

But I give you my solemn vow - I will make no more reference to quota'ing despite 9 schools each getting 5 players in (9 x 5's are 45 ) and TSS (3 more ), Nudgee ( 3 more ) , BBC ( 2 more ) and GT ( 1 more ) that got it there to 54 players / 2 = 27 to a squad

I officially pass it off as a coincidence and a hair brained X Files type crazy conspiracy that has no basis of merit in discussion on an amateur hour opinion based message board

I will also voluntarily cease and desist from making any Jedi Mind Warrior trick reference to TSS, Nudgee , BBC or GT as being reasonably considered to be in the top half of the table

From here on in The Owens Book has everyone at $2.00 for the remainder of the season

My sincere , and unreserved , and unequivocal apology for causing offense to you

/End

Keeper

Bob McCowan (2)
Now is my turn to ask you for the burden of proof

Where did I pass this off as fact ? Show me "the documents" as you would say

This is your inference , because frankly , in the big ass coincidence it must be - you are salty that someone would question it , and in reasonable question of process and merit of - fairly too - I might add.

I got no problem Keeper

You seem to , yet , I've specifically mentioned no boys and no schools

But I give you my solemn vow - I will make no more reference to quota'ing despite 9 schools each getting 5 players in (9 x 5's are 45 ) and TSS (3 more ), Nudgee ( 3 more ) , BBC ( 2 more ) and GT ( 1 more ) that got it there to 54 players / 2 = 27 to a squad

I officially pass it off as a coincidence and a hair brained X Files type crazy conspiracy that has no basis of merit in discussion on an amateur hour opinion based message board

My sincere , and unreserved , and unequivocal apology for causing offense to you

/End

Country Jack ,

Why no Jesse Grey ?

Why no Jock Thompson ?

Why no Wilson Blyth ?

Just a couple of names mentioned!!

the issue no one wants to talk about in nomination led , affirmative action "quota ''ing" that has led to about 15% to 20% of it being a right old laugh

From an earlier post of yours.

No offence to me because I don't give a toss but the apology should be to those kids either through inference, through your mythical quota system or otherwise that you say shouldn't have been selected.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I didn't know you could get nose bleed on a Soap Box Keeps - but there you go

Again , no specific mention of boys or from schools that were selected - only expressing surprise from strong prospects that never made it for one reason or another

You are reaching with that weak assed shit Keeps - and you know it

Or maybe you don't

Yeah - you probably don't

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I just find the inconsistency from some posters sort of humorous

They pass off the past time of Schoolboy Rugby as "it's only" and that "no one gives a toss down the road" , but in the present , they themselves clearly do - when they wade in with their view to defend those they feel they need to defend ( which of course they are entitled to irrespective of the fact that no one individually , or any school , was , or would , be directly named )

And then again , when it suits , turns up the level of consequence and importance in talking about trying to win National Championships

Sounds pretty ambitious and higher purpose / level to me

But isn't it just Schoolboy Rugby though ?

Keeper

Bob McCowan (2)
I just find the inconsistency from some posters sort of humorous

They pass off the past time of Schoolboy Rugby as "it's only" and that "no one gives a toss down the road" , but in the present , they themselves clearly do - when they wade in with their view to defend those they feel they need to defend ( which of course they are entitled to irrespective of the fact that no one individually , or any school , was , or would , be directly named )

And then again , when it suits , turns up the level of consequence and importance in talking about trying to win National Championships

Sounds pretty ambitious and higher purpose / level to me

But isn't it just Schoolboy Rugby though ?

I find the level of expertise and understanding of schoolboy sport espoused by some parents/posters also very humorous.

I can only assume that these are ex-wallaby's or are level 3 coaches that have experience at the highest/elite level of the sport.