• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
This year’s 10’s :
Nudgee - Pasitoa
IGS - Walker
BBC - Gordon
TSS - Maybe Samuela
Terrace - Elekana
BSHS - Jones
Grammar - Halliday
TGS - Baxter (?)
Churchie - Anyone know?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
This year’s 10’s :
Nudgee - Pasitoa
IGS - Walker
BBC - Gordon
TSS - Maybe Samuela
Terrace - Elekana
BSHS - Jones
Grammar - Halliday
TGS - Baxter (?)
Churchie - Anyone know?
I will trade you Churchie’s starting 10 for the IGS Darkhorses you were talking up a few pages ago and now say you don’t know

Just jokes.

Churchie : Toby McGovern

By the way I would expect Dane Shadlow, new from Central QLD, to play 10 for the Rangers with Baxter Franey at 15.

I don’t see Pat Elekana at 10 for Terrace either . I reckon it will come down to Jordyn Bell or Quinn Siolo with the guy who doesn’t start 10 starting at 15 .

I see Jesse Grey at 10 at TSS . I would imagine logic would win through and with Samuela’s broken field attacking skills and finishing skills in the outside channels being best utilised at his more natural 15 spot

I thought Daejern Asi was back at Grammar but I am not 100% on that , but even if he’s not , Charlie Jones could be an option here with Archie Halliday playing 9

I don’t even think it’s a given that Sam Walker plays 10 - he probably should , but , his biggest impacts last year especially against TSS was with more room at the 15 position . It should not be a surprise to see him spend some time there this year if it happens

But other than that you pretty much nailed it

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Siolo and Bell also good options for Terrace. The backs are looking pretty good at Terrace. And Jesse Gray at TSS also a good option, if their new recruit is not up to 1st XV standard this year. I think Samuela will play 10 or 15 which he is more comfortable.

What’s the go with Toby McGovern from Churchie?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I think 15 is his best spot and with Vaihu Senior and KVdb - Terrace could maybe put the 3rd best back 3 in the Competition

That would be optimal but then I don’t see Bell or Siolo missing out. They’ll play. As will Burns . As will the Vaihu brothers. As will KVdB. Not too many, if any , spots left over in the backs

Can’t see Ferg not playing either. I would expect he’ll be there with Big X , Emarly, Charles and Jorgo

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Regardless of wether PE plays 10 or 15 probably only one spot available for Bell and Siolo, as in whatever position PE doesn't play and you would think Burns would get first crack at 9.

As BAG said plenty of options for 12/13/11/14.

Think you might be on the money GO with 4/5/6/7/8.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
An interesting read regarding Scott Johnson on Facebook Rugby Roar. Talking about Acumen and Skill.

Many talk about physicality in teams rather than skill. The problem with our Super Rugby and Wallaby players is that they are not well rounded and lack basic fundamentals. Tackling is the first underrated skill that comes to mind, the next being passing the ball. Looking at this year’s players coming through in GPS, I see and emphasis on size rather that skill set in the forwards. The boys that are not at 100kg in the forwards are being dismissed, but there are many that have the strength and skill who outplay the 100kg players.
Look at the backs and tell me how many can tackle with impact and consistency! Not many. A good boot, a side step and speed are just not enough.

It will be interesting to see how far Scott Johnson gets with his direction for the Wallaby team and whether this filters down to Level 3 coaches. Change and re-focus to basic skills in Australia needs to be prevalent.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
That would be optimal but then I don’t see Bell or Siolo missing out.

IMO they are fighting for one position and the new regime aren't invested in either (unlike the previous one).

I expect (hope) there will be more surprises than expected in the GT team this year - while a number of younger guys got exposure last year, a few of them were exposed as maybe not being up to the grade IMO.

rocketman

Frank Row (1)
IMO they are fighting for one position and the new regime aren't invested in either (unlike the previous one).

I expect (hope) there will be more surprises than expected in the GT team this year - while a number of younger guys got exposure last year, a few of them were exposed as maybe not being up to the grade IMO.

The skillset of a 10 must be able to pass kick and take the line on create and at the same time organise and execute the game plan must defend in the right channel but also be a threat on attack , GT lacked these things last year and if I am not mistaken kicking game was poor whoever ticks most if these boxes is the right 10

Pinetree

Frank Nicholson (4)

Who were the previous regime invested in? they basically threw past form out the window and played boys where they believed best suited the team

Shaw Road

Herbert Moran (7)
Terrace have only just named there coach,from what I have heard haven't started training yet?,Nudgee,TSS and BBC etc have been training from xmas,Terrace will be lucky to win 2 games this year, until the in fighting at terrace stops and they put a descent rugby program together that requires training in term 1 with out the cricketers wining ,they will always struggle.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Terrace have only just named there coach,from what I have heard haven't started training yet?,Nudgee,TSS and BBC etc have been training from xmas,Terrace will be lucky to win 2 games this year, until the in fighting at terrace stops and they put a descent rugby program together that requires training in term 1 with out the cricketers wining ,they will always struggle.

As for the infighting - new coaches (and recruitment policies) should address a lot of that ;-)

Agree 100% on preseason - the AB program throughout the grades and preseason Firsts program are amateurish at best - a new broom is well overdue.

The Rowing and Cricket programs are doing nicely as is the Basketball, Swimming is on the rise as is Football - hopefully the rugby program will finally take a step up in terms of professionalism that has been lacking for a decade or more -the last 3 years in particular have just plan awful.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I’m curious

Besides Hearne , Vaihu Junior and Pulenga ( Spelling ? ) what other bountiful options are there at 12 and 13 if one accepts that Vaihu Senior, KVdB, and Pat would be the optimal back 3 ?

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
I’m curious

Besides Hearne , Vaihu Junior and Pulenga ( Spelling ? ) what other bountiful options are there at 12 and 13 if one accepts that Vaihu Senior, KVdB, and Pat would be the optimal back 3 ?

Not sure why you need more than 3 players to fill to 2 spots. I would say that is more than enough options not to move one of you better players from a position on strength (15) to accommodate an inferior player in that position.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
So I will take it then that there are no other credible options for the 12 and 13 spots beyond the 3 that were mentioned

It’s just that the word “plenty” was used

3 guys across 2 spots is not plenty by my definition

Especially where 2 if these 3 options would be U16 boys

Pinetree

Frank Nicholson (4)
Ok some background Of the young backs in the GT first of 2018 Elekana, Siolo and Kvdb all played 6 games each with kvdb coming off the bench against Nudgee all 3 aquitted themselves well at that level and both Siolo and Kbdb were part of the Qld red 16a team that went undefeated at nationals Elekana was in Qld 7s these boys will play 1st XV in 2019 to fulfil the potential seen in them. Bell played the last 2.....The others will be big V who is reds academy little V who was Qld white leaving one spot for Mcmahon Hearne Bell...but who knows new regime may see things differently...what the mix will be no one knows but those are the front runners...now the forwards